Windies or Lankans: who can Pakistan beat?

Windies or Lankans: who can Pakistan beat?

Against all expectations, beating all odds, Pakistan are in the final of the World Twenty20. While captain Younus Khan has said that it doesn’t matter who we play in the final, the team management will sit down and ponder who they’d prefer as their final opponents.

The West Indies are a bit like Pakistan: unpredictable yet destructive. They have players like Chris Gayle and Dwayne Bravo who can single-handedly change the outcome of a match. But when it doesn’t go right for them, it just doesn’t.

A Pakistan-Sri Lanka final, on the other hand, would be perfect in so many ways. The Lahore attacks, the crises both countries are facing and have recently faced and atmosphere such a final would create at Lords, the home of cricket, will make the teams’ meeting memorable.

Who would you prefer to have as Pakistan’s opponents at Lord’s? The spin-against-spin contest with Sri Lanka, or the flamboyant, yet unpredictable West Indies? Who do you think the Pakistan side can beat?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

44 Responses to “Windies or Lankans: who can Pakistan beat?”

1. sayali says:

NO ONE, BECAUSE THIS IS MY FAVOURIT TEAM.
    my team has a extera power to fight all the barrier.

2. Bushra Ali says:

No one can beat Pakistan Inshallah Pakistan Will win

3. Shahzad Firdous says:

I thought that sL was always more formideable opponent than west indies cus once they put up a total on the board ,their spinners and also quality fast bowlers would be msot dificult to score against…luckily ,they werent able to score too big and also we chased it down briliantly……great victory for us!

4. mansoor says:

guys ! it’s heartening to read comments from several indians, who happen to support Pakistan team and admire the Pakistani cricketers.

sports always brings people closer and cricket would be one such sport where our two nations can and should mend fences. May i add here to remarks from some notable Indian cricketers such as Sachin Tendulkar and Kapil Dev that relations with Pakistan be cut off ,this should not be the case, politics n sports should never be mixed.

5. dumila says:

SrI LaNkA Is ThE BeSt!

6. Ariya says:

The final is between two friends! So, whoever wins, its not a problem for the other friend! Though, as a Sri Lankan, I’d want Sri Lanka to win, but I really want Pakistan to give terrific fight! And we never forget you Pakistanis, who saved our team, sacrificing your lives! This is my wish that both of our countries be friends all the time, whatever the results of this game or in the future games! We, Sri Lankans would never forget that you Pakistan stood by us, helping us to eradicate terrorism from our country! May the better team win today, and both teams are superb!

7. FAIZAN MAJEED says:

HI PEOPLES

THANKS FOR SUPPORTING PAKISTAN

I THINK OUR TEAM HAS ALREADY WON THE TROPHY BCOZ GETTING INTO FINAL IS NOT A SMALL DEAL BUT THEIR MORAL AND ENTHUSIASM WAS SUPERB , THEY GONNA BLAST TONIGHT MATCH ALSO.

BUT TEAM MEMBER KEEP ONE THING IN MIND .

GIVE YOUR 100% AND GET THE TROPHY TO YOUR HOMELAND.

NATION IS WAITING AND ME TOO

BLESS YOU

8. Indusonian says:

Hay juzba junoon to himat na har
    Justujo jo karay to chuaay asman
    Mehnat apni hogi, pehchan kabhi na bhulo
    Sab ki nazron main
    Pakitan, Kabhi na bhulo
    Pakistan, hai tumhara
    Pakistan, hai hamara

Insha Allah if they play as a team, they will be the winners, no doubt.

9. praveen says:

hi.. wishing all the very best to pakistan for T20 WC finals.. i’m an indian, but believe me most indians love the way pakistan plays its cricket & will be supporting pakistan in sundays final.. good luck..

10. Sachin says:

Pakistan deserve to be winners. Last time they have been in final and gave a tough fight to India. Pakistan should and will win. Cricket is monopoly of south asia now both financial wise and competency wise.

11. ali says:

pakistani team stands after South africa India Australia and Sri Lanka if we compare the currnet 11 with these teams.AS A pakiatani i wish that Pakistan may win this World cup but as cricket lover i personally say that South Africa was much deserving of this title.

Best of Luck Pakistan.

12. GoPakTeam says:

I think it’s pointless to say pak should play WI instead SL. I personally think it really doesn’t matter whom they play because Paki’s are on fire and no matter which team they play they will win the cup InshAllah. Don’t forget guys we have beaten the best team of the tournament in the semi final so just sit back and relax pak victory on Sunday inshAllah.

13. Samyak Gowda says:

Sri Lanka looks really really strong at the moment.

Dilshan looks as though he can send a short, lond, correct length, spin, slow or any ball for that matter over the boundary.

He’s the best improviser in the whole world at the moment.

Having said that, Afridi and Gul will be key for Pakistan and not to mention the keeper.

I think, Pakistan keeper looks extremely good and he might just well be the best keeper in the world in the days to come.

Also, don’t remember Muralidharan. It almost seems like, nobody can tackle Murali.

Murali is perhaps the best bowler in the history of Cricket and he looks dangerous as always.

If both teams play to their ful potential, expect a very memorable finals.

As long as India is out, I don’t care who wins.

14. gladiator says:

Am an Indian. But am defenitely rooting for Pakistan. Sri lanka has won today against windes and it will now be a Pak-lanka final. I want to pak to win because it is very important for their national pride keeping in mind the tensions that are currently prevailing. I think the bowlers will be the key. They need to get Dilshan early.

15. Chetan (India) says:

Pakistan has already won the war…. wish they win the next battle also. Great to see good news uniting people and providing positivity in this time of negativity in Pakistan

Muhib , unable to understand why you still feel Pakistan will loose whatever side they play….Pakistan has been underdogs but they have displayed character , teamwork and winning streak with no fear of loosing…Feel good about this man

16. Amir Hussain says:

So long as Pakistan plays with the same passion and pride,it really does not matter if we win or loose. As far as I am concerned we have already won the “world”. The cup does not and should not matter. And we as a nation should celebrate this moment in history.
    No matter what happens we need to welcome our players back with the same passion with which they have brought the joy to our hearts.
    They deserve all the warmth and love we can give them. Let us not dissect anything that happens and just enjoy this glorious moment which we do not know how long before it comes back in our lives as a nation. Lets not burden our sportsmen and women with anything other than the passion which we deserve to see on the field. Love them if they can provide and love and support them if they fail. As a nation we need to take this next step.

17. Zia Qureshi says:

This unpredictability of our cricket team works for Pakistan because our opponents just could not come up with a game plan when playing Pakistani team. No one knows if it would be a batsman or a bowler who would do the job.

18. rajeev says:

Well it is Pak vs SL.

Both are from South Asia. I do not mind either team winning.

But I am putting my money on SL.

19. Amir from TX says:

The way Pakistan is playing, I don’t think any team can beat them. When the going gets tough the tough gets going…go PAK!!!

20. rajeev says:

Pak vs SL will be more closer game than Pak vs WI (Pak favourites vs WI). Pak vs SL will be Art vs Art—the SPEED, SPIN, BATTING. Fielding-wise SL is better though.

Any way as I write SL is on their way into final, although miracle Gayle is still on the crease.

21. haroon khan says:

Well… if we want to become champion then we should not scared of any team watver comes we must face them it depends on team performance that how they play against WI or SL if we beat SL in final then we will get more superiority coz SA and SL both are unbeatable but we beat SA and if we beat SL also then we can call ourselves CHAMPIONS

22. umber fahad says:

we have already won this cup.we can easily beat both the teams if the same spirit will be seen in the team which has surprised the world in semi final against south africa.good luck pakistan team.

23. Gixxer says:

Nerves will play a crucial role in the final. Pakistan team isnt very strong in keeping their nerves calm in crunch games. The final of T20 against India two years ago is an example of that, when we lost to India at a time when the game had swung into our favour. But at the same time our team is unstoppable once they get going. The momentum they have gathered plus the leadership skills of Younis Khan, somehow makes me believe that insha allah Pakistan will win. Westindies has unexpectedy played well in this tournament but Srilanka under the current scenario would be relatively tougher. As a Pakistani I would want Westindies to reach the final but the cricker lover within me wants Srilanka to be Pakistan’s opponents in the final game.

24. Prakash. N says:

Go for the Championship, Younis. This will be the best thing you can do to lift the morale of your country.

25. Agha Mushtaq Ali says:

It doesn’t matter who faces Pakistan in the Finals. We are upbeat, every player is giving his 100%. As a Pakistani I pray to Allah Almighty that Pakistan wins, Ameen!

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement