What do you think of the reportedly low key response in Germany?

Marwa al-Sherbini, a 31-year-old Egyptian woman, was stabbed to death by her neighbour Axel W in a courtroom in Dresden, Germany. Marwa, about four months pregnant, wore the head scarf and was involved in a court case against Alex for calling her a terrorist. She was set to testify against him when Alex stabbed her 18 times in front of her three-year-old son and half a dozen German police officers.

The killing has dominated Egyptian media for days but has received comparatively little coverage in German and Western media.   

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

136 Responses to “What do you think of the reportedly low key response in Germany?”

1. Khayam Mehmood says:

This is a appalling act of violence….Such things breed hatred in young minds….my condolences to the family of the deceased….

2. Zahid Ilyas says:

We must condemn such a selective journalism and western hypocrisy but at the same time I must ask our Media and Human right activists as why they are sitting silent and not condemning such events with full force? No doubt western media/institutions are biased towards Muslims but we need to find out why are we so weak to let other behave with us like this way.

3. Mustafa says:

The world as well as the vast majority of Muslims in the world are fed up with militancy of a minority of Muslims who are creating greatest threat to Muslims and Islam because Muslims are now seen as threat to world peace.

In Pakistan these militants posing as custodians of Islam to take over the government of Pakistan and are killing and bombing innocent Muslims as well as beheading Muslims.

A leader of militants Maulana Abdul Aziz has threatened blood bath unless Government of Pakistan gives him what he wants. May be he needs a blood bath himself before his burial. May be, Government of Pakistan should give him his wish.

Unfortunately Pakistani leaders themselves have to take some blame for the situation that Pakistan is facing now. There is a saying “nip the evil in the bud” means when evil starts, stop it the same time. The Mullah Maulana Abdul Aziz, was arrested and then released on bail. Government of Pakistan should have known all militant Mullahs are blood thirsty and must be removed from the society for rest of their lives. They are the ones who incite Muslim boys to blow themselves to go to heaven when they know fully well that killing innocent people is sin as well as committing suicide is also sin. These Mullahs have invented new Islam to achieve their evil goals.

The other blunder Pakistani leaders are going to do is to become middle men between the terrorists and peace-lovers. There is a good possibility that world may see these leaders with suspicion that is to please the terrorists half way rather go all out to eliminate them.

May Allah Bless wisdom, determination and will to all Pakistani leaders and people of Pakistan to fight and eliminate the enemies of humanity within Pakistan and let the Pakistanis, specially in NWFP live peacefully as civilized people and not killers.

4. Dee Canadiana says:

I read this story online and it is very sickening. I live in Canada and I will tell you that despite what anyone claims, some citizens in all countries will always have bad attitudes towards those different than themselves. It is not something that will ever be eradicated. I feel that as long as one’s actions, and what one wears, their religion, etc, etc, is not harmful to those around them, they should be able to do as they like. Why is it anyone’s business what this woman chooses to do? It is very sad to know that the son will have to live now having seen what he saw, and the crime itself is disgusting, but it should not be viewed as a reflection of society as a whole. This man is a sociopath. He craves control and he feels what he determines is right, shall be, and he will make sure it is, and happens. The issue, while racially/gender motivated between parties, is not a reflection of a collective attitude towards muslims.

5. Kharbindersingh says:

One of the role of the media is to inform the people about what is happening in the society. I think that the low key response by the German media is only justified if the institutions such as police and courts are functioning properly and they are efficiently and honestly perusing the matter. Media hype should only be created if the institutions are likely to act inefficiently and dishonestly. There appears no suggestion that the German authorities are acting unreasonably in this case then why create media hype?

6. Camen says:

This heinous crime committed against Ms Marwa is too horrible to justify.

However when a similar murder took place in Pakistan – young girl from nwfp killed by her own gyne mother out of honour with all the legal fraternity as witness – and yet even the highest lawmaking body in the country the Senate refused to even allow the lodging an FIR!!
    Let alone the fact that the murderer just walked off scotfree!

Isnt that debasement. Lets first do some instrospection and put our own house in order.

7. fayazsid says:

Alethia said …

———–
    And it doesn’t help that the president of France, Mr. Sarkozy, had just earlier launched a tirade against Muslim women wearing the burqa. This kind of talk encourages Islamophobia
    ————-

Wearing burqa encourages Islamopobia. Wearing a wierd beard encourages Islamophobia. Talking Jihad creates Islamophobia.

Muslims can’t do anything new to create Islamophobia. World is already afraid of muslims and is on the verge of developing hatred for them.

Our back is to the wall now. We need to reform. Dropping burqa could be a good first step.

8. Alex May says:

The incident is well covered in German media. It is not being talked about every day, but it did receive good coverage; on par with similar crimes that took place in Germany in recent years.

The murderer was arrested and being arraigned in a court. The law will take its course.

9. syed says:

Sadly, the world is coming to the conclusion that muslims do not deserve sympathy.

My heart goes out for this woman and may she rest in peace.

People at large all over the world are fed up with muslims, their complaining, their unjust demands and their atrocities and terrorist acts. So much so that events such as these that deserve sincere sympathy and debate are simply being ignored.

Muslims have to do a lot to regain world’s confidence and trust in them. They should drop such words as infidel and jihad and learn to practice their own religion and let others practice their own; this might help.

10. Ramesh Manghirmalani says:

TO: Western Media: It is time for you to grow up, don’t live is cages and ancient time.It appears that people are misinformed again about Muslims at large,The way the Western Media has portrayed Muslims is based on fear and prejudices. It is also mean and bigoted.Being Hindu, I know how great relgion Islam is. Khuda Hafiz

11. reformist says:

Why dont people from muslim world understand that if they dont want to look like them, then please stay in their own country. There is no need to migrate to other country and create sector which looks completely different. lets say if someone from western country comes to pakistan or any other muslim country and wearning Skirts and small tops, what would be the first reaction of the muslims. Think..now the same is applicable for every muslim who migrate to western country because it provides freedom. Equality between and men and women. Progress. Caould you tell me one muslim country which could say yes we are developed country and we respect human rights. I think none. In Saudi arab women cannot drive and has to eat wearing naqab even in their own houses. Does not it sound funny. Men cannot shake hands with women. Women cannot talk to anyone except their husbands and children. In Iran women cannot uncover their head because men will be excited if they see womens hair. Its a high time to change the rules written in our religious books. No economy in this world grow without involving women in every part of the life. I always ask one question..why dont muslim men cover their faces and wear scarf or naqab as women can also be excited after seeing a handsome fella. so cover all the humans so that they cannot see each others face and when they go back to heaven and when god asks ” did you like the world” answer will be ” It was a black world and I saw images covered fully but yes I saw only eyes”. This is all about change and one has to change to progress. Western embraced that change long back. That is why they are far ahead of us. So Change yourself and show that yes Muslim can also provide free society where anybody can come and live freely and contribute in economy.

12. Dietrich says:

Good Morning,

i always wonder, why people voice their opinion witout knowing any facts.

This article is about the media coverage of the tragedy, which happend
    on 2. of July in Dresden Germany and the media bias in western media.

Most news about it is written in the german language; a language not widely known.
    English speaking newspaper don’t carry much german news anyway.

News coverage in a local germany newspaper:

2.7.2007:

http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=2197618
    Headline: Streit um eine Schaukel endet tödlich/ Quarrel for a swing leads to deadly tradegy
    Subheadline: 780 Euro für eine Beleidigung / 780 Euro (88530 rupees) fine for an insult

e.g.: Insults are pretty expensive in Germany.

3.7.2007:

Desden Newspaper Website for 3.7.2009
    http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=2198564
    Headline: 18 Messerstiche in 32 Sekunden / 18 knife stabs in 32 seconds
    Column:
    http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=2198815
    Verwandte kümmern sich um Dresdner Opfer von Messerattacke / Relatives take care of victim

around 6.7.2009

Egyptian yellow press goes ballistic, but no german voices are heard…

Guardian: Is Europe really Islamophobic?
    No german person was interviewed about the tragedy (bias?)

http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=2202521
    Rosen für Marwa – Dresden gedenkt der getöteten Ägypterin/ Roses for Marwa – Dresden mourns killed egyptian woman.

Dawn: Egyptians cry racism in woman’s slaying in Germany.
    No german person was interviewed about the tragedy. No germans in Pakistan? (bias?)

Dawn: What do you think of the reportedly low key response in Germany?
    No facts about the background story…(why?)

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ Protestors Accuse Germany of Racism

So even 8 days after the tragedy, there is still information in german newspapers and websites.
    Google for “Marwa al-Sherbini” or “Marwa el-Sherbini” and count the entries in german language.

Where is the lack of media coverage?

Have a nice day.

13. Scarf has nothing to do with religion and much less with Islam. Women in Siberia still wear it and scarf was worne in E.Europe.Just as “dupatta”s worne by muslim,Hindu and sikh women alike, or salwar kammeez. Hindu women wore “burqa”.

Dress has nothing to do with religion.Both Muslim and Christian Arabs wera the same dress.The way women in Arab countries dress these days is the way women dressed in the Roman Empire. Catholic nuns dressed that way too.We never told the Euoropean.

It is European prejudice. In North America there is no such restriction.

14. Mustafa says:

The image of Islam and Muslims has been tarnished by a small minority of Muslims who claim to be true Muslims and are preaching and supporting killings and suicide bombings. The victims are innocent human beings.

Allah says in the Holy Quran:

“If any one killed an innocent person … it would be as if he killed all mankind; and if any one saved the life of a person, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind.” (Quran V: 32).

Do these killers and suicide bombers follow the command of Allah? They are the greatest threat to Islam and Muslims because they have created hate and fear of Islam and Muslims in the hearts of Non-Muslims, specially in Europe.

It is only in the last 10 years the world is seeing fanatics, Jihadists, extremists, suicide bombers popping up. Islam has been in this world for the last 1400 years. Was there suicide bombing and killing of innocent people anytime?

What happened in Germany, is the proof of hatred against Muslims and Islam and an innocent Muslimah was the victim. Who are responsible for it? Our brothers who have their own Islam and not the Islam taught by the Holy Prophet Mohammad , peace be on him.

According to Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW) says: “Murdering a human being is one of the biggest sins.” He adds: “Be kind to all living beings so that Allah may be kind to you. Allah does not shows His mercy to whosoever shows no mercy to fellow humans. Please learn more from this site

http://members.aol.com/khananis/coexistence.html

15. ak says:

One more thing : Muslims (me included) constantly protest that the actions of a few extremists should not be allowed to denigrate Islam and its adherents as a whole. by blaming all Europeans for the actions of Axel W are we not doing exactly the same?

I read the news further and realized that this court hearing was not to hear the legitimate complaint. That had already been heard in 2008 and Axel W had been fined Euro 750/- for his statements. This hearing was because Axel W had appealed against the ruling. The authorities were clearly not complacent about the original playground incident and had in fact defended the woman’s right to dress as she chooses and still be treated with respect. It was the court’s earlier verdict that provoked the attacker’s wrath last week.

I am surprised that the article failed to mention this aspect of the case which showed the fairness of Germany’s legal system for people of all faiths.

16. ak says:

“It is very ironical and disturbing that “secular extremists and terrorists” go scot free and the victim gets blamed”.

Has the assailant gone scot free? What is the basis for this statement? HAs the victim been blamed by the German press? Where is the evidence for this?

Before blaming the other western countries for not widely reporting this crime – let me ask, did Dawn report this crime? Did Nation? Did Geo News do that? Frankly I think they were right not to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Converting every isolated instance of crime against individual Muslim l by a non-Muslim in any nation as a pan-Islamic issue with the ‘Islam khatre me hai’ mentality simply creates an environment to produce more jihadis.

This man should be punished for what is clearly a heinous crime without justification and I am sure he will. Unless this killing was part of a trend, this type of politicking is not advisable.

17. waqas says:

The german media is not like the pakistani media which would go along exposing the fanatics in their society. And it would never let lose any incident which would tarnish their core values i.e. freedoms!

But our media instead always looks for tarnishing our core value i.e. islam and today leaves no chance to mock our own people and identity.

But the most sad part are the comments of those who justify the killing of our sister!

18. Haroon Rashid Khan says:

The incident happened on 2 July and Spiegel, the biggest german news paper, published the story on 7th july. that too, after protests in egypt brought up the issues. Our media was still sleeping and woke up on 8th of july.

First thing is that dress is not a matter of culture, it is a matter of belief in this case. You can not compare sunbathing to headscraf as one is religious and other is not. Integration means to respect the culture of a country and not to change your self and your belief.

The second thing is that the fredom of west is limited to the extent that i heard that in the state of baden wurtmeber and 12 other states of germany, it is with law prohibited to wear a scarf at work. Recently a girl was reportedly aked to stop wearing scarf becasue it looks ‘uncivilised’ and ‘scare the customers’.

19. Yousuf says:

Dear readers,

I think many of the comments above state that Muslims should integrate into Western society. One of the above comment says that if Western come to our country they dress like us then why dont Muslims dress like them (decent western dresses). My answer is why should we change? I think, West looks goods in western dresses and East look good in Eastern dresses. Shalwar Kameez shall not suit western people nor does western ladies dress suit Pakistani ladies. Both retain their own identity and mind their own business instead of mingling around others business. However freindship could be with everyone between western and Pakistani person is good sign.

20. Salman Latif says:

The question is, what exactly is integration? Does that mean she ought to drink with every meal, have bacon for breakfast, have no problem wearing a short skirt out on the street and all that? Where on earth did the ‘freedom of action’ go? Or the freedom of appearing as one wishes to is out of it’s scope? It’s pathetic to see the useless, baseless lament of those accusing the women of having earned the treatment.
    That’s simply too much. Let’s stop playing the blame on others merely because we are too fragile to support them in anyway. At least that’s the best we can do!

21. siraj ud din says:

shocked to hear about it,it is an extreme act against humanity specially pregnent woman,what the society will expect from the 3yrs old boy once he grows up.such cases creats more extremists.
    well i m confused how a man can stab some one inside court room in europian society,but i m confident of german justis.

22. Naseem says:

How do you think these so called Western Nations behaved when they ruled us? Did they adopt our ways?

As this can happen anywhere in the world. The main issue is “How is the German Government dealing with the situation”. Is racism institutionalized?

“How would have the WORLD reacted if a Western female was murdered in such a manner and circumstances”.

People who are sort of defending the incident should ask themselves the second question.

23. salaar says:

Im am a “50-50″ (German citizen of Pakistani paternal heritage) living currently in Germany but fortunate enough to have a base in Karachi as well. Whereas the law & order situation in Germany is unquestionably one of the best, equally unquestionable is the biased clout of the western European media which has effectively turned public opinion against immigrants, “foreigners” etc. in the last few years. That’s why they’re being so quiet about this particular incident.

24. Ahmed Qazi says:

I am more shocked by the first few comments than by this sad news. I can’t even believe that there are some Pakistanis who have actually managed to find fault with the woman. What is their point? Killing her was justified? Also please pay attention to the subject at hand. Nobody is asking you to start condemning Pakistan as a comparison. We are probably the only nation who does not let go any chance to expose our own faults for the rest of the world to make mockery of.

This was a heinous act, and the fact that German media is silent only exposes the level of hypocrisy and double standards in their society and their level of Islamophobia. And to the person who said while in Rome, do as the Romans do; sorry sir, but you are wrong. Do as Allah has told you. Period. You, have been reading the wrong books.

25. Mobasher says:

My friends! This is a hate crime. The German man hated Islam and it’s followers. He should be punished and Germany also has to make an example of this incident.

To those of you who think that one must abandon their religion and adapt to the religion of their new home Country you guys must know that when your application as an immigrant is accpeted the government of the new home country knows about you and your religion. This is called freedom of religion. Jews are protected in Germany and everywhere else in the world. You say one word against the criminal state and you are deported and called anit-semetic. Well there is a new word called anit-islamic and these people should be jailed too. Terrorists exist all over the world and terrorist governments like Israel exist too who kill many innocent people daily but they are protected. Why not protect Muslims!

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement