Scare tactics

Scare tactics

On Sunday, the government announced that the sending of ‘indecent, provocative and ill-motivated’ text and e-mail messages was a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison – the maximum possible in Pakistan.

The announcement prompted a strong reaction in the local media. An editorial in the Dawn described the new law as ‘bordering on officially-sanctioned state censorship’ and warned that it might be used to silence the government’s critics.

Meanwhile, the country’s telecommunication supervisory bodies were quick to clarify that no mechanism existed for screening e-messages in bulk, and the Federal Investigation Agency said investigations would be only be launched upon the receipt of a formal complaint.

The government effort to regulate electronic communication comes less than month after the announcement of a 20-paisa tax on the sending of each SMS – a move that was retracted soon afterward following public uproar.

What do you think the government’s motivation is in imposing the new law? Is the state right to impose curbs on the transmission of e-messages? Do you think the recent role of electronic communication in fomenting protest in neighbouring Iran has indirectly influenced this decision?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

51 Responses to “Scare tactics”

1. rehman says:

i think the government would take back this law on the basis of public uproar, which i think is very evident right. with all revolutionizing technologies, mobile phones have revolutionalised pakistani society. i think this law was implemented against sms which were being sent as threats that this this suicide bomber has entered the city and caused general dismay. i think that should be implemented and for that they have to screen the entire millions of sms sent. so the government needs to clarify this

2. Ahsan says:

Since our leaders have a feudal mentality, this should come as no surprise. Intimidation etc is usually resorted to among people having this psyche. Obviously there is no concern for democratic values. Saying that one’s party gave its blood for democracy is one thing and adhering to democratic principles is another. There are countless people who are annoyed/harassed by sms/email etc but why should a law be enforced for and only when elite is annoyed? What about the common man? The same kind of msgs one could find against Mush when he was in power but I think he really belonged to a family that didn’t believe in such tactics.

3. Maz, New York says:

I would call it Govt. stupidity and lack of knowledge about human behavior. This is rather Parents responsibility to check on their Teenagers. Tomorrow, if Govt, find YOU Cursing some one on the street, then you will be thrown behinds bar for 14 years. I wounder WHY it’s even called Islamic state.

4. shakib says:

the govt is confused, it is mixing business, pleasure and state security in one nehari. it won’t cut mustard. not only does this breaks the privacy acts held sacrosant in private speheres, it also protects corrupt politians from becoming too popular. text messaging is like a chat online between two persons. since when is it a matter of public scrutiny? especially when i am paying the national exchequer through the technology use. banning it is not only counter productive, its stupid. state security is another moronic explanation to ban public communication. it is like blacking out the city to prevent burglary. when you can’t see, you can’t steal type of logic. does the government really believe that public spaces such as streets, cafes, theatres, drawing rooms where people have always gathered and discussed politics, caricatured politicians and exposed their lies will stop talking altogether once they pull the plug off sms? LOL that is all i say.

5. Hozaifa says:

GOVT. should know that why people are actually sending thse msges…

” Your car wont start, if u dont start it ;)”

simple they did something (actually many things) and that is a cause of hatred…

6. Zubair Malik says:

It is already illegal to capture a politician using any recording device doing any illegal activity. Now in the next phase it will be illegal to talk bad about them. At the same time they are awarding themselves billions of rupee contracts making sure nobody can outspend them in perpetuating their rule. PERFECT! :)

7. Syme says:

when salman taseer called journalists Daddoo (frogs),the esteemed information minister Ms sherry rehman took it as an expression of freedom of opinion.
    where is my freedom of expression, if i wanna criticize the govt?

8. Tanzeel says:

Hey..someone got a do something. Look around and see how people are misusing that facility(including many SIM on one NIC). Some try to abuse innocent or some trying to use against the country. Its a big hole which needs to be fill. You should not have scared if you do not misuse!!

9. silent angel says:

I went to Oman a long time ago, when people told me that if you say anything against the King, there are agents everywhere, and if they hear anything against the king, you would be sent to jail. I think if this govt. stays, we will have the same situation here in Pakistan.
    If I recall correctly, the last speech of the previous leadership of this government’s party, was for the democracy, and against dictatorship. A piece of advice for the Govt., instead of harassing the people against freedom of speech, try to do things that are beneficial for the people and the nation. Instead of imposing taxes on the people, try to reduce personal expenditure in the name of security and …..

10. Shahid Iqbal says:

We are being governed by a bunch of geniuses. They keep shooting at their own feet. Their mental incapacity is proven beyond doubt.

11. Aly says:

This is what you call democracy? Hell with democracy, this is not even dictatorship, this is monarchy! They think can do whatever they want with the public!

12. ak says:

I think the intention of this law was to prevent anti-government activities (which is quite different from anti-state activities -which should in fact be prevented).

But how can you claim to be a pro-democracy government and clamp down on freedom of speech of political opponents? Solution is to pretend that primary goal is to prevent indecency which is anti-Islam.

I would be very surprised if the government acted to convict anyone on the basis of indecency complaint. I am sure the state machinery is only geared toward the anti-government messages.

13. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Scare tactics!
    Yes! of course. This is a message. No more public opinion. — “PERIOD”
    But, on the other hand, the terrorists or other criminals while doing the text messages would easily be traced and a major loss could be prevented from happening.
    Prevention is better than cure. Beyond a doubt, that is a great advantage of the new Act.
    Under the new Act, the FIA should take a quick action to defuse any vulnerable situation without wasting a minute or so.

This new enactment would help, the Rulers’ arbitrary actions and discretionary policies, to flourish un-checked.
    Indeed, the government wants no opposition at all……… Too bad.
    Instead, the government has to come clear and fully allow any public opinion (negative or positive).

A proper definition, of the wording such as ‘indecent, provocative and ill-motivated’ text, is needed for an accurate implementation.

However, a healthy criticism against the government wrong policy must be allowed.
    Thus, the disputed legislation should carry an additional clause saying that the said-act would never be used to silence the government’s critics.

14. rashid says:

This seems to be the brainchild of a babu who is still living in 60s and draws inspiration from (former)USSR and Middle East monarchs and autocrats.

15. Ali Hassan says:

What about democracy, free speech and free will? Wasn’t it part of the present government’s philosophy prior to election. Weren’t they criticizing their predecessor on the same ground?

16. Obaid says:

What part of this move screams democracy. Of all the strategic,economic and social imperatives they have chosen….well this is not even an imperative. A hopeless attempt to cloak their corrupt governance. Shame on them.

17. Adnan says:

I dont who comes up with these brilliant ideas each morning and decides to implemnet without even consulting with anyone who posses some grey matter! Like every other new upcoming laws this law will also be retracted in a couple of days. Lets see wat ingenious things will they turn up NEXT. To be continued for more . .. .

18. Sadia Amjad says:

Clear signs of deserperation by the present government.

Rather than adding such needless acts to save their skin, they should concentrate more on the core issues and forget about their popularity graph for a moment.

19. Echo Icehand says:

If such a law in any edited form is allowed it would amount to an act of terrorism against the people of Pakistan. Such a law would be used to persecute, jail or silence any public or civil rights activist, as well as remove any and possibly all politcal opposition.

20. usmn says:

there are lot of other things which Govt should manage..from the day one they bring a mourn and sadness in our lives, and the one thing which brings happiness in our routine lives.they want to snatch our happiness by preventing these activities

21. Imran says:

This is an interesting area… and one that needs very careful consideration. What the powers that be are effectively saying is that they want to make a judgement on “freedom of speech.” If two consenting adults want to send each other messages that are indecent…then why not? They will probably say the same when they are face to face anyway…In other cases (ill motivated)it may be different story.

Where the arguement falls down for me is the taxing of a sms. This way… If an indecent sms was sent they would make 20 piasa on it i.e. make money on something they are making a criminal offence.

The Pakistani governments have to get there act together with technology such as the internet… Technology is shaping the future at a rate we have never seen before. My sms to the Pakistani goverment would be to embrace technology empower people to communicate and give them the freedom what will come to them anyway. Any goverment that wants to meddle in this area will only loose.

If you choose to occupy someone space what does history tell us?

22. Salim says:

The only one entertainment option left for the poor class, one of the reason to smile, to enjoy a laughter and try to escape the tense conditions, look these inept people also want to hijack it, they cant serve the nation, they were atleast available to make people laugh by jokes, but alas they have proved to be complete Useless
    poor politicians.

23. Adeel says:

This is a strange decission, there are lots of things to be banned, stopped, monitored in our country,the bad traffic management causes hundreds of deaths yearly, the bad performance of police results in roberries and many havoc crimes, what the govt wants to achieve by banning thoughts, just imagine these people are scared of ‘thoughts’…………what clumsy decission.

24. Raheel Zuberi says:

It is the sense of insecurity which has prompted the government to spend precious time in persuit of such meaningless measures.
    It is another instrument to be used against its its opponents.

25. Owais says:

Our policy makers should reconsider on it!!!

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement