Guilty until proven innocent

Guilty until proven innocent

Visiting US envoy Richard Holbrooke, defending America’s new, stringent airport security measures, says that he too has to go through intensified screening. But the outcry from Pakistan on this issue suggests his defence won’t go down well with the public.

Travelers from Pakistan are to undergo extra security screening according to new rules put in place by the Obama administration. With Pakistan bearing the unparalleled brunt of the war on terror and as no passenger with a Pakistani passport has directly caused panic at a US airport, the measure seems harsh. Moreover, owing to a strict and very stringent visa policy, a majority of people who visit the US from Pakistan are either businessmen or other professionals.

Frequent travelers half-jokingly say that they fear arrest on landing in the US, especially if they’ve ever spoken to someone named Osama (very funny, folks). Adding to their ire is the fact that in addition to being screened and subjected to long queues at home, they will have to suffer the humiliating behaviour of US airport security staff. For their part, students fear cavity searches and businessmen are afraid of a night in detention for even having a Muslim name. Pakistani travelers fear that unless screening is applicable across the board, regardless of nationality or religion, the discriminatory measures will add to their woes of being foreign and Muslim in the West.

Human rights groups have long argued that such draconian practices are discriminatory and go against basic human rights. Foreign policy experts are calling the measures over the top. And more investment in airport security is making taxpayers question the billions that are already being spent on intelligence gathering and sharing.

In response, many in Pakistan have started asking for harsh conditions for travelers from the US. One analyst believes that Pakistan must reciprocate with making cavity searches and separate queues for flights originating from the US, but also argues that due to the donor-recipient relationship, Pakistan cannot take any drastic steps.

The fact is, there is a tenacious scepticism being faced by the US in Pakistan, and Washington must refrain from further aggravating the situation. The new security measures are forcing left-wing parties such as the PPP to utter right-wing words to calm public sentiment. The PM, president and Foreign Office have had to join the chorus of public outrage and anger against what is being seen as anti-Pakistan policies despite the country’s best efforts to fight a US proxy war. After the mess of US foreign policy during the Bush era, the Obama administration faces a mammoth task of strengthening ties and helping America’s image abroad.

Ultimately, the US needs to give more thought to the relationship with a key ally. Perhaps policy makers in Washington ought to read Benjamin Franklin, who wrote: “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Do you think the new airport security measures are too stringent? If you have recently traveled to the United States, share your experience with airport security staff with Dawn.com.

Osama Bin Javaid is a Senior Duty Editor at DawnNews TV.

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

79 Responses to “Guilty until proven innocent”

1. raki says:

Pakistan should reciprocate, and it will be interesting to see how many Americans act up the way people in Pakistan are acting up.
    To be treated as equal you have to be equal.

2. malik101 says:

Having extensively traveled in the US after 9/11 I have never experienced any harassing or discriminatory attitude of the staff. However screening of passengers once they land at a US airport does not make any sense.

3. AABID ALI says:

I have seen all above comments about new security measures taken by US Govt. to become safer from terrorist attacks and got this result that as a Pakistani we are on Do Or Die position now we have to think about our future that we are going to live this life or we are going to live a honorable life for that we must change our ways becoming honest and responsible in every matter concerning about us and about Pakistan mean we have to built our nation as stronger as possible. That is the vision and that is the way to leave respective life.

4. zeshan says:

Well I feel that these security steps taken by Americans are justified if we do the same with them, we should also have such strict security measures for suspicious Americans who are coming into Pakistan.

5. PA says:

I am sure this step would have made several Pakistanis angry. But getting angry is not going to solve any purpose because this is just the beginning.

6. adam says:

The USA has every right to safe guard its borders and citizens. Many people in Pakistan want every American to go from their land. The USA and all Western nations should make getting a visa extremely difficult especially for males under the age of 65 and the USA should properly inspect every one from our Pakistan since the only way we can be safe is to be all given extra security and screenings along with being questioned and analyzed more I have traveled to USA and Saudia and I was checked better entering Saudia than USA or Canada.

7. Meher Durrani says:

The most draconian measure regarding the extra security screening for Pakistani citizens may be controversial due to the body scanning machines. Even here in the United States many non Muslim Americans are voicing concern due to abuses by the system on part of the screening TSA (Transportation Security Admin) agents. These scanning x-ray machines can keep records within the system which can be misused. Many Pakistani Americans should voice loud protests to their Senators and Congressional Representatives about this scanning device, it will be a seriously offensive device for many Muslim females of all ages.

8. Mustafa says:

It is next to impossible for America to determine which Pakistani is a friend and which Pakistani is an enemy. They could have banned all Pakistanis from traveling to US but what they have done (body search) is most reasonable for the safety of all passengers in a plane including Pakistani passengers.

9. The Americans have reasons to put in place such security procedures. Unfortunately for Pakistan, virtually every plot or incident leads the world to our country.

However, the best thing to do in these circumstances is serve your country while staying in the country.

10. jamal hassan, dubai says:

I agree with suggestion that don’t go to the US, if the treatment in this country not fair.

11. A says:

@ Munz,

Rightly said, the fact is if given a choice, I bet 100% will prefer American passport, so why not just stay put if ashamed of anything. Who is forcing you guys?

12. AK NORI says:

People who say Pakistanis are being discriminated through enhanced security checks at airports must remember that the list of countries whose citizens are put through additional security checks contain Saudi Arabia, most importantly to US in Middle East. But the ground reality is clear. US doesn’t want another 9/11 on its soil. So, nothing wrong in enforcing the additional security measures for Pakistani passport holders. This is also vital to the safety of air travelers. Just understand, the tougher screening at airports, the safer our travel.

13. Naresh says:

Dear All,
    It is really funny to see Pakistan asking for the same treatment has to be done to Americans. If so, Americans will stop coming to Pakistan. But who will be interested to travel across Pakistan now other than diplomats?!!!

14. KG says:

If your ego is offended by airport security – stay home. The USA isn’t going to ignore the obvious fact that Pakistan is a troubled country which seems to be the nexus of much of the terrorism activities.

15. Bob says:

It is a long term security risk to stereotype people based on their appearance, country of origin, religion.

The terrorist will learn the patterns over time of the stereotypical profiling based on what you are, and not what you do, or what you have done.

They may take advantage of stereotyping & create trouble for the world, out of the box, breaking the rules used in stereotypical profiling, and they may surprise the world again.
    What they do is only fewer times, but very bad.

I think the best thing is to do profiling across the board, not Pakistan only, and base it on what a person does, even if he

The right methodology to create profiles is to look at what a person does, has done in the past, regardless of the origin, religion, color, and single out the suspect from all national origins, white, brown, yellow black.

16. Sunjoy says:

Hammad you rightly said that: “US is using these innocent Pakistanis in their war against terror and then humiliating them at the airport and conducting security measures”

17. Naseer Qureshi says:

Hello everyone,
    Yes I do agree with the commenter Mansoor. I have been residing in the USA for over 12 years. The more stringent security measures that have been announced by the administration are the dire need of the time we live in. One bad fish makes the whole pond look dirty. It is absolutely imperative that everybody be thoroughly checked beyond doubt so all of us can enjoy safe frequent journey. I do not mind being checked because I understand the new world order now. I also understand that everything does not remain the same either. I hope that Pakistan soon get rid of all “non state actors” and establish solid grounds for peace and prosperity for all its denizens.

18. David says:

Well If Pakistanis do not like it they should not come to the USA.

19. Himayun says:

I may have a US passport but by face look like a south Asian. I do not go to those places where I have to go through the humiliating treatment. It is that simple. An example is India. I used to go to India as its culture is similar to Pakistan. But recently they are giving hard time and not giving visa to anybody who has anything to do with Pakistan. I am not going there, if I am not welcomed there!

I am a frequent flier and never felt humiliated on any US airport. However, the experience at London, Karachi, Middle East (even in transit) is very irritating and humiliating. Now I try to avoid even transiting through UK and middle east.

20. Maria says:

Every nation has the right to impose tougher security in today’s day and age. It does not only benefit Americans, it benefits everyone. The reality is that everyone is screened; when I travel on a Western passport with my American friends, we are all subject to the same checking. If some single males are subjected to greater checking, it only makes sense. It is for everyone’s good. This has nothing to do with traveling on a Pakistani passport- all travelers should be subject to greater scrutiny. Moreover, the truth is that a good number of criminals involved in terrorism are operating in Muslim nations. We can’t ignore this reality even if the majority of us are peace loving. It’s true that we have suffered the most from terrorism but we must also understand the understandable concern that the West faces from travelers. If anything, we need to beef up security at our airports and with our own security forces in order that we are connected to Western intelligent agencies. This has become a common interest in this age. Given Pakistan’s role in fighting the criminals and terrorists, we have every right to expect that the West, especially the US will help Pakistan improve airport security screening and improve monitoring of people in Pakistan. The large numbers of foreigners in Pakistan has to be controlled.

21. Mansoor says:

The USA has very busy airports and they can not search physically search every body. They however do random searches. Sometimes they search my handbag and sometimes they search my wife’s bag/purse. We don’t mind this at all. Americans try to do their job honestly. Don’t worry, security steps always keep changing all the time. US is a big country, millions travel every day.

Mansoor
    Houston, Texas

22. irfan afzal says:

The Americans have reasons to put in place such rigorous security procedures. Unfortunately for Pakistan, virtually every plot or incident leads the world to our country. Why should they spare us?
    However, the best thing to do in these circumstances is serve your country while staying in the country.

23. Munz says:

Please do not come visit the US if you feel humiliated, no one is forcing you to do so.

24. hn says:

I don’t like being searched but I would feel more secure if all individuals are searched.

25. humayun nayab says:

You guys are talking about Pakistani Passport. I am born Pakistan but holding Canadian Passport…We are facing tough screening at all the ports leading to U.S.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement