The CSS question

The CSS question

As the final result for the Central Superior Services (CSS) examination came through this week, a few questions came to mind:

Can the bureaucrats act like civil servants? Do they think that when Pakistan is being considered the 5th most unstable country in the world, do they want to help change things?

Why aren’t the top notch universities graduates adopting this field as their careers anymore? How can nepotism and corruption be eradicated from bureaucracy so that postings and promotions are done on merit basis?

Would a raise in salaries of government officials announced in the recent budget impact positively on the working conditions? Were the Mayors performing better than today’s administrators (the bureaucrats)?

Text by Jawad Muzaffar.

The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

151 Responses to “The CSS question”

1. Ahmed Saleem says:

I’ll tell you the reason we lag behind in everything. We’ve been tricked for more than 60 years now, politicians and dictators come and go. They feed us their lies and get away with it everytime. This country needs more than a leader or democracy now, what this country needs is HOPE for a better future. What we need is a country where the courts will dispense justice swiftly and completely, where industry is promoted and jobs are available. Where the PCI of the common man would increase so he is not forced to sell his children or his organs for money. Where politicians and generals who take the law into thier own hands and abbrogate the constitution are tried for treason rather than being sent to a foriegn country with a full honour parade. What we need is a country where the common man can stand up for his rights. We’re tired, we don’t want anymore liars and thieves who come to fill bank accounts rather than help the people. What we need is a country where people aren’t afraid of the government, but where the government is afraid of the people. What we need is a bath of blood to cleanse this place of the filth that has accumulated here for the past 60 years

2. Very informative article… Looking forward for more articles on your blog

3. Moiz says:

Help Pakistan! Pakistan needs you. Don’t leave Pakistan in this time of Need! Who will change the system of Pakistan if Not us? Will anyone from a Foreign country will come to save us?
    No , Its our responsibility. Its our Duty. Its very tough one now under present circumstances, But we can still try ? We must unite and join hands to fight terrorism, corruption and failing law and order situation in the country by bringing honest people in the government administration and eradicating the Black Sheeps. The leaders are also from us and so we must understand that in order to make a change, we must change our self first.

I have a Dream To see Pakistan competing with America and Pakistan as the most developed country of the world, where law and order and Justice prevails, Where all the people respect and love each other and everyone has a sense of Social responsibility.

I have a dream that people stops at signals on red light even at 4 am in the morning. Please join hands now to make that dream come true!

• Farooq says:

Very good! If every citizen of Pakistan create their minds like you, so i don’t know that Pakistan will not become prosperous and happy one day Inshallah.

• MIAN MUHAMMAD USMAN says:

DEAR LADIES and GENTLEMEN
      Mr. moiz has generously enhanced our petritiosim. and I am personally thankful to him.
      But we have a common problem, that is, wherever we are,whatever we do, we should atleast give our best shoot.
      I think in this way we can certainly help Pakistran…….
      for example:
      If you are a student. how can you produce life in your work, if you hav’nt put the blood of hardship in your efforts. You can only produce good when you have complete skills and command over your concerns.
      So, try to be best…. and nohing less than best.

• sami ullah says:

Dear brother
      Your emotions for our great country are salute-able, every Pakistani should have such kind of emotions for his great Pakistan. The need is now to fulfill the responsibilities as patriotic Pakistani wherever you see someone is damaging our country, try to make him/her such understandings that this is our mother we will have to strengthen it by our self. I am social worker in health activities. I need the help great lover of Pakistan.

Sami ullah

4. Excellent content. Thanks for posting.

5. Bradstreet says:

The roots of corruption in bureaucracy go to the colonial era. After overpowering India the Britishers studied our social set up which was class based, they found it effective and supportive to perpetuate their rule. The feudalism was introduced to make society in equal and class conscious. In every district selected and favourite people were granted big estates for the consideration of their loyalties to the British raj. The feudals also enjoyed certain political and administrative powers too. The colonial bureaucracy was vested with unbridled powers and they are to run the state affairs hands in gloves with feudals resultant bureaucracy was infected with feudal mindset. Although this phenomenon eased the British to rule through a few bureaucrats over a huge country yet its aftereffects are still haunting us after independence. We did never attempt to break feudalism or feudal mindset so for which is root cause of corruption and many other social evils. Establishment of egalitarian society will go long way in eradication of corruption. Equally aristocratic style of bureaucrats must be shunned however their salaries should be enhanced reasonably.
    +1

6. Shakeel.Quddus says:

For a top notch university graduate, the aim–if the idea is to aim high–is and ought to become someone other than a civil servant. On the American scene, the best and the brightest go into Business, Entertainment or towards the Wall Street. The disparity between the civil servant and the others are too wide. The civil servants are simply looked upon. Even the politicians with law degrees are looked upon too. To put it bluntly, they are looked upon as a parasitic class. Even the south Indian billionaire Azim Premji of Wipro observed that America lavishes too much glamor into what is referred to as C.E.O. In a post industrial and post information world, the idea of civil servant is on its way out. Pakistan may be hanging on to its old glamor but the time is running out. It is the less glamorous positions related to technology that hold the power and wealth. It is time to look at the world with open eyes again.

7. kashif raees says:

CSS still has the prestige amonge talented youth;Nodoubt:

• Najeeb says:

I think the perception has changed. CSS certainly was something that the youth aspired for in the yester years but I am not sure if this is a coveted profession in Pakistan these days. I have had the opportunity to meet with some folks from different groups (DMG, Police and Customs to name a few) but I was unimpressed by their knowledge about the world that they are living in. Previously, the CSS professionals were truly well rounded, however, unfortunately this is not so anymore. This overall lack in caliber leads me to believe that CSS is not attracting the best minds any more and this is obviously reflecting in how Pakistan is being run but that in itself is a separate discussion.

8. kashif raees says:

Bureaucracy is considered as a strong pillar in any country’s development and progress , no doubt ; in Pakistan we are also facing the hardships in this institution like others, corruption, mis management , political use of institutions inter Alia are the prominent problems; facing our bureaucracy in our home land , Definitely some stern actions would needed for grooming of this pillar , and above-mentioned suggestions are quite adequate and ought to be implemented.

9. Iftikhar Malik says:

My response to the last reply would be that a new service structure is to be introduced in the country where power of bureaucracy be distributed among various professionals. For example let there be independent professional groups at District level, say in health, education, judiciary and finance etc. a scheme which was envisaged in Justice AR Cornelius Report. At the same time political authority should also be defined with a degree of quality. CSS must be on absolute merit. Quota system has ruined administration.

10. Nasir Abbas Mastoi says:

As a matter of fact ‘ after gaining power, man does not change but reveals himself’. Many a candidate does not sit for the CSS Exam to serve his/her country or to bring about positive changes in the system they had been scathing against before they became bureaucrats. First, all the desirous youngsters whose dream is just to become a bureaucrat but nothing, should determine why they want to become bureaucrats. I think majority of the CSS candidates anticipate enjoying a luxury life and gaining power. So when they gain power, they reveal themselves and all their past boasting to serve their country and to change the system floats like a straw.

I think, to hold this lucrative position, you need to have a strong character-A CHARACTER OF 1947.

• Taseer says:

Its good to go for best in one’s career.

But unfortunately they are not able to see the big picture of the job market out side Pakistan. A market which can reward their talent beyond their imagination. The CSS selected one’s will sell their talent and vision for some influence, rotten government residences and vehicles but they will miss their greater share on this planet. Let’s become a part of healthy economies to earn foreign exchange for your country.

This senior services management structure have only given us, huge debts, load shedding, lawlessness, corruption, unrest and wide spread desperation amongst people they are servants for.

Let’s give our children the right direction to learn skills which add them a value recognized internationally, we we are living in a global village.

Taseer MBA(Finance)
      Riyadh,KSA

11. shahid khichi says:

The roots of corruption in bureaucracy go to the colonial era. After overpowering India the Britishers studied our social set up which was class based, they found it effective and supportive to perpetuate their rule. The feudalism was introduced to make society in equal and class conscious. In every district selected and favourite people were granted big estates for the consideration of their loyalties to the British raj. The feudals also enjoyed certain political and administrative powers too. The colonial bureaucracy was vested with unbridled powers and they are to run the state affairs hands in gloves with feudals resultant bureaucracy was infected with feudal mindset. Although this phenomenon eased the British to rule through a few bureaucrats over a huge country yet its aftereffects are still haunting us after independence. We did never attempt to break feudalism or feudal mindset so for which is root cause of corruption and many other social evils. Establishment of egalitarian society will go long way in eradication of corruption. Equally aristocratic style of bureaucrats must be shunned however their salaries should be enhanced reasonably.

12. FARMAN says:

In response to all above comments I wanna add that a society whether corrupt or ideal one comprises of individuals. Its the individuals behaviour that contributes towards the betterment of either a society or institution. Be optimistic about Pakistan its people and institutions and please try to do the right at any level whether a bureaucrat or not because one honest individual at any level could lead to a group of good individuals which in turn yield a good society, system, institution and a prosperous country in the community of nation. Criticism whether positive or negative should be there but with a positive and practicable outcome, I think.

13. W.Mateen says:

Salam all,
    we had criticised enough and alot is being said on whatever is wrong and whatever has been done. Lets just think of ways in getting rid of the current corruption and leadership that is themselves corrupt at mind. We need to make sure that the candidates applying for CSS examination are made to write a paper on how can i make my Pakistan better. and once appointed on the best ideas can be appointed on contract for a year. once accomplished in real that written on the paper will be a confirmed official and those who fail to meet up their own writings will loose the job. this is one way of getting rid of those ill educated and corrupt people. if u can think of other ways please write!=)

14. Mudabber says:

These bureaucrats will never like to change or rectify the present situation as their vested interests are knitted with this corrupt system. The only way out from this ongoing non sense is to burn down these kinds of attitudes and bury them deep into the seabed.

15. azhar says:

Discussing anything with inequality of law seems to be fruitless.

16. Qaiser says:

Corruption is not a matter of CSS servants but it is quite related with each individual who lives this dearly country where God has bestowed us all the things but we are losing by our own corrupt attitude in all .
    We should accountable ourselves to save this beautiful country.

17. shahnawaz says:

I believe that we all are the same as we are living in the same environment ….and every one wants to live as our so-called political god fathers. If personally he is not addicted to luxurious life then he can be honest. and he will serve his country as a patriot. Who ever pass through his CSS examination, he is an intellectual person and a Bureaucrat is not bound of any political force. So I think if he is man of dignity, he should not be involved in such corruptions, as the salaries of bureaucrat have enormously increased. Shame on them WHO ATE BREAD OF POORS…..I will Inshallah appear in coming CSS exam and will prove how can a bureaucrat bring change. WE NEED CHANGE.

• sara says:

I totally agree with you….BUT please be honest to yourself and to your country whenever you appear in your css examination and keep on your words throughout your life. INSHALLAH you will get success.

18. Akbar Ali Mazari says:

AFLATOON said, that the fault in societies began from top to bottom. as though the bureaucracy is the third pillar of state, but it is chained with corruption a good deal. A great bad luck, and also a misfortune of this country that it uplifted these loads of corruptions patiently since a long period, in other words from the foundation of Pakistan. our “patriots” bureaucrats are not try to betterment of state. but they endeavor to make something themselves. they not fear from any leader, any judiciary and any punish of judgment day. but they are the only son of the wealth, and for wealth they have done any injustice and make demerit to any person. They not understand themselves the residence of this country. Who will break the game of these focal persons. I think there is no any person that’s like who will come and finish this system. so we must alive, with compulsion or volunteer in this country.

19. No doubt, corruption is rampant in the civil bureaucracy and its solution is also in the hands of civil servants provided that they abandon their unsatisfying desires for power and prestige. We all know why most of the candidates for CSS opt Police or DMG as their first choice. They grow in them an obsession or a POLICE MANIA or DMG MANIA, because it provides maximum opportunity of corruption as well as desire to dominate the poor, starved, downtrodden people of poor Pakistan. Domination on already trampled classes of society is what they can do…while they develop so called social relations with exploitative and elite class of Pakistan.

This is the trend that has to be changed if we really want to serve our country. Whatever i have written above have been under mine observation while i was doing my preparation for CSS. I have qualified the exam and you all readers pray for me that I may become honest office and true servant of the nation.

Manzoor Ahmed Kanrani Baloch.

• SATTAR MALIK says:

Manzoor , I agree with your this statement regarding CSS craze in our youth. 99% candidates adopt this profession only for wealth and power. They don’t have concern that with what circumstances country is running. They work with their own motto. There are two ways in this country to enroll yourself rich and powerful. First one is to attach yourself with any political party, once you are chosen as MNA or MPA, you can do and get everything. It is easier for those who has solid background and difficult for middle and lower class people. They entered in this category on exceptional basis. Second way is to get through CSS examination. No doubt it is tough to clear but not impossible. So this is the only tool for lower and middle class community to become rich and powerful to accommodate yourself with so called elite class. They don’t that they are the third class actually who are snatching the loaf of poor people of this country.

Anyway manzoor, congrats and good luck for your medical and interviews and I wish that you may become an honest officer to perform your duties as true pakistani.

Abdul Sattar
      Mechanical Engineer
      Mascat, Oman.

20. Tanveer says:

Well my opinion to this topic is that not all bureaucrats in Pakistan take bribes and it is also a thing that some (not all) are loyal to their duties but they are not apparent. Problems of bribes and those others are in many other countries but people of those countries are known as literate and this makes them distinct from us. What I think is that the root causes of our problems is education and brain-drain.

21. Zaman says:

I my point of view, Engineers and doctors should come to this field and should serve the country.
    These professionals can solve every problem in professional and systematic way
    Now problem is that, only those people appear in CSS who have no better opportunity than CSS, for example a person who is M.A English, cannot find a better job than CSS so his purpose will be to secure his job and get more and more powers, he cannot change the System rather he will become part of system and will continue Status quo
    Secondly powers should be decentralized and Society should be educated
    if people are educated, then they will not worship these civil servants
    But a society like Pakistan, where politics ends at MY PATWARI & MY SHO, you cannot expect betterness from these politicians

22. Ms Shamaila Tehmasip has written a very informative comment that has definitely given us insight about the selection criteria. Despite the fact that examination process is clean it is arguable whether the selection criterion is justified. There is no doubt that CSS exam gives equal opportunity to every candidate; however, at times more capable persons do not make it through. Let me clear my argument further. A friend of mine who graduated from IBA Karachi got 599 marks in his first attempt i.e. failing by just 1 mark although he cleared all the subjects. In the next attempt he got 667 marks but he remained unfortunate again that this time he was unable to clear English Essay. However, a number of candidates passed the exam by marginally getting 600 or so in that particular attempt. I asked him why they failed you this time. He said he had no clue as in the first attempt he wrote on a similar topic and got cleared the essay but this time they rejected it.

This incident shows that css examination process requires drastic improvement so that more capable persons could not get ignored. If things kept on going this way, then many bright students will not take a chance and will adopt careers having certainty and not a career that does not provide a space of improvement and suppresses their passion to do something for this country.

23. WAQAR UL HASSAN says:

MY personal views are that in every field or any sector that is public or private have many kind of people so we never blame that CSS is bad or the performance of bureaucrats are bad only one thing is the present circumstances provide the environment of corruption so we this time only need to a thinking about us that what are we doing.

24. sherali says:

CSS successed candidate should strengthen the institution rather than the individuals giving more power institutionally will reduce corruption, long lasting.

25. paki says:

The comments are representative of a confused educated urban minority, the very segment that has failed Pakistan and its people time and again.

• Ahmed Alam says:

Well said “Paki”-my exact thoughts.

CSS is a joke to say the least. With heavy quota system attached and majority of urban Sind cant enven qualify!!!

Bring back the Merit based criteria and let go this quota system which has destroyed the country since it was introduced.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement