Karachi burns again

Karachi burns again

Violence triggered by the murder of Raza Haider, a senior leader of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement and member of the Sindh Assembly in Karachi on Monday claimed at least 35 lives, according to officials. Once again we saw Karachi burn last night as angry protestors took to the streets burning vehicles and gas stations. Gunfire could be heard in several locations as people stayed home in fear. Once again, we saw Karachi shutdown.

Where were you when the tragedy and the aftermath violence took place? Do you feel safe in Karachi?

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

125 Responses to “Karachi burns again”

1. Umar Qutb says:

Few things in my mind and i would like to share on this forum. What Intelligence Agencies r doing? What about CCTV on different locations in khi, what is the purpose of Command and Control room. Why religious organisation only?.Remember the history of Pakistan had lots of things to say. Why MQM is in the pool or ANP is in the pool of GOP. Is there any sense to be a part. Karachi share holders are themselves responsible for all of this.

2. Sasha says:

To run a country, there should be nothing to do with religious politics.

Country is run to protect citizens & not to eliminate the decent citizens.
    To run a country you have to nominate brainy government & not a fanatic one.

So wake up!

Good Luck

3. Sasha says:

its just sad to see the City burning not by outsiders or stranger
    but by our very own people

Is Only “Allah” who can save the city & its innocent citizens

4. Robot says:

I agree.

5. Shakeel.Quddus says:

Karachi has been burning for decades. This is not new. There is nothing novel in this present nightmare. We possess a sense of drama. Each time someone gets killed or maimed, there is a news. Familiar remarks pass on. Some express disgust and some fortify in their cynicism. Then comes the following day and we forget and move on. Lucky if there is no news about other disasters or some killings. If someone is assissinated or killed, then familiar comments come and then go. This is our fate. When we refer to as fate, we don’t intend to be resigned or simply fatilistic. It is simply what is viewed as life. Life in the city of Karachi.

6. Pakistan says:

In Pakistan Weapons should only be in hands of Security companies
    Why common man having weapons in their hand?
    If police is use less to make peace. Why we are paying tax to government?
    Why police & government officials are not facilitating peoples of the governance?
    Why these questions are answer less. If we are not Muslims or not eligible to follow Islam.
    Why Islamic Republic of Pakistan is not functioning as of the dream of Quaid-e-Azam.
    Why political parties are not using the flag of Pakistan. If they are not patriotic.
    It looks all of us are not patriotic. We should hand over the Pakistan to India to save more lives except of Muslims.

7. Rehan Hyder says:

Every one living in Karachi knows who wants what, but its our fault that still we support people who are actually our enemy. If we still behave like that then its time to say that we are mentally dead and those who are ruling us they right to do what they are doing. so people! jagoooooooooooooooooooooo

stop sporting your enemies, you are smart enough to know who is your friend and who is enemy, just you are only a friend of yourself no one else, think about it, concentrate on your family and liabilities, stop thinking about these greedy and clever politicians

totally up to you.

Rehan Hyder

8. Rehan Hyder says:

Just ignore these politicians, concentrate on your Education, Business and be cool. Any one who is interested to find jobs in UAE and Oman contact me, I can help.

9. NNaila malik says:

criminal laws are aboragated n abvert badly ,looters n street muggers are given free hand to do any thing they want with the lives and property of innocent people ,who do not have any party affiliaton.This practice of appeasing the leaders at the cost of people’s life should be stop .
    pleeeeeeeeeeez

10. NNaila malik says:

this social injustices should be abondoned and all communities should be given equal rights.let not harm any one with your hands and tongue.
    plz have mercy on the poor citizens

11. NNaila malik says:

once of the brother says why things and properties are not burn in other cities after any calamity or miserable incident ,the answer is very simple and logical that the whole business whether its transport or factories or markets the great share is of pakhtoons. and what actually is the motto of MQM to eliminate every single pakhtoon from Karachi which is not possible these are Pakistani and according to constitution they can go anywhere for business and residence.so its a wild goose chase i think we all Pakistanis should not be myopic and broad our view and realise this objective reality that they are a part of this city and getting their due share and serve this whole heartidly like any other community.
    its my pledge today that we Pakistanis should not be ethnic biased any more.

12. Pakistan says:

In Pakistan Weapons should only be in hands of Security companies
    Why common man having weapons in their hand?
    If police is use less to make peace. Why we are paying tax to government?
    Why police & government officials are not facilitating peoples of the governance?
    Why these questions are answer less. If we are not Muslims or not eligible to follow Islam.
    Why Islamic Republic of Pakistan is not functioning as of the dream of Quaid-e-Azam.
    Why political parties are not using the flag of Pakistan. If they are not patriotic.
    It looks all of us are not patriotic. We should hand over the Pakistan to India to save more lives except of Muslims.

• Manish says:

Can you come again?? Could not make out what you just wrote.

• Pakistan says:

What?

• Pakistan says:

Hi Manish,
        I could not understand your concerns, if you are asking me to do so.
        I am doing my-level bests but few men nontheless for such crises.
        Its the responsibilities of whole nation, otherwise time is the best teacher.
        I have wrote such questions for readers to support me to save my country, if possible.
        Otherwise looking to face my doom as of other peoples of Pakistan.

13. Raj says:

@Alex,
    Here lies the problem Alex. You asked for Allah’s blessings for all Muslims. What about the non-Muslim Pakistani citizens?

14. UMER IJAZ says:

I was on my way back to my home from the office when i saw all the shops getting closed and people running here and there.There was a messy traffic jam.Ultmately,i had to return to my office(the nearest one place).I spent the whole night in my office.It was a great panic indeed.
    The next day i fond it tough to go to my place as there was no vehicle available.The roads were giving a horrible look.It seemed as if the city has turned into a jungle where no law prevails.Its my first job in Karachi and so far i have found it totally unsafe for living. No one knows what would happen the very next moment.

15. hhasan says:

Total chaos no one was safe for instance people were burnt in qasba colony a pure example of fiasco when a person is not safe at home what one can expect outside.Concerned authorities should take appropraite steps should bring the culprits in light they must be accountable for what they did for what they have been doing and prevent them in doing the same chaos in future.

16. Imran says:

I beleive its high time, that ordinary pakistanis take matters in their own hands. The country has been plagued with natural disasters, Violence, rampant corruption, breakdown of institutions and so much more.

We have let the Army, Courts, Political parties to decide our future course of action and honestly they have let us down on so many countless occassions that if we let them run the country we will either have no more pakistan or we will be very similar to an African Nation.

I appeal to all pakistanis, that it is time to decide our own destiny!

17. Salman Haider says:

It is the bad luck of PAKISTAN that It gets such Nation.And it is Good Luck of Nation that We get Such Good country.PAKISTAN need a United Nation, such Nation Believe on Allah and perform and obey the LAWS of ISLAM.MAY ALLAH gives PAKISTAN a Nation

18. Usha says:

who are responsible to burn Karachi, Karachi was the calm city before 2 year every one save there, why Government are not taking serious to resolve Karachi tension. Government are responsible for that ………

19. Suggestion – Respective Province, where communal killings mechanized by vested interest takes place in mass scale as is happening in Karachi now, all political parties in the province in govt. or out of govt. MUST BE BANNED for 6 months, placing the Province under Chief Justice of Pakistan who can appoint a Council of 10 non-political senior citizens of repute (without Jalee Degrees) to run day to day affairs and maintenance of peace in the Province

To support the Council, Police which has failed to maintain law and order several times in the province of Sindh, should be replaced by Army or Rangers alone, placed under Council to look after the Law and Order of the Province and not under any other authority.

Similar to political parties, power to police be also transferred after 6 months to take charge if law and order
    of the province, failure to which they should be laid off and new force be recruited having minimum education of
    genuine graduation (not jalee)

All police stations be made Control Rooms of Rangers for the restricted period of six months.

The banned political (elected) parties/assembly be allowed to resume activities subject to their giving
    written undertakings to the Chief Justice of Pakistan to main law and order in the Province, failure to which
    all political parties ( in power or out of power) be banned totally till Next Election. Under the circumstance,
    the affairs of the Province be again handed over to the previously selected 10 members Council till
    next Election in the Country.

Humble citizen.

20. hn says:

When you let selective violence pass,
    Anyone can select their favorite cause for violence.

Thats why some wise man in the sub continent said, violence only begets violence and an eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

21. hn says:

When they came for minorities, no one spoke up.
    When they came for neighbors, everyone cheered.
    When they came for ahmedis, everyone introspected.
    When they came for women, everyone interpreted the book,
    When they came for you everyone blame the kafir.

Why can’t you denounce any form of violence?

22. Ali Zaidi says:

I grew up in Pakistan in late 80s and 90s and witnessed the rise of ethnic violence perpetrated by various mafias claiming to be political parties and sectarian violence perpetrated by various groups.

23. Ali Rafhai says:

before 1947 Karachi is peaceful and very good city with Balochs, Sindhi and Parsi’s communities but now Karachi like a bhai group same like Indian movies.

24. Ahmed says:

I just thank GOD every single day my mom and dad left that place long ago. I have visited Karachi Pakistan, and though it is nice to visit relatives it would totally scary to live there.

25. Mudassir Qureshi says:

This is the country where we live and get to see new things everyday. Different – just out of the blue! As if you turn on your TV set and hear about, blast, killing etc and loads messy stuff.
    We see no hope for the country going ‘green’ as it was once a long ago. This is really not the way to just see things without taking required actions. Is it what called our future? What should we do to get rid off all the crap – who has the answe? We can just hear and ignore as one-after-one there’s something grey to know. Does it mean’ we’re used to it or what?

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement