Remembering Faiz

Remembering Faiz

Born in 1911 in Sialkot, Faiz Ahmed Faiz became one of Pakistan’s most prominent and beloved poets of all time. Faiz lead an interesting life from the very beginning – his education included religious studies from the age of four when he began memorising the Quran, attended the Scotch Mission High School while at the same time, learnt Persian and Arabic, taught as a lecturer in Amritsar and then enrolled in the army and served for five years.

Faiz is one of the most quoted poets in the country these days, which is a vindication for the gentle soul who was once decried on this very land as a traitor for siding with the oppressed. Today, he also gives expression to the aspirations of the very groups which had openly opposed his thinking, which was as pro-people back then as it is now.

Here, Dawn.com invites you to join the discussion on one of Pakistan’s greatest poets – which poetry of Faiz do you cherish most? Was the poetry of Faiz really ahead of his time?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

69 Responses to “Remembering Faiz”

1. Benish says:

It is diffilcult to chose any one of the countless masterpices from Faiz, however, this one is especially close to my heart. In these diffcult times, this “Dua” (written on 14th August, 1967) represents the feelings of a common sensitive man. Faiz Shb will always remain alive in our hearts and minds:

aaiiye haath uThaaye.n ham bhii
    ham jinhe.n rasm-e-dua yaad nahii.n
    ham ji.nhe.n soz-e-mohabbat ke siwaa
    koii but, koii Khudaa yaad nahii.n

aaiiye arz guzare.n ki nigaar-e-hastii
    zahar-e-imaroz me.n shiiriinii-e-fardaa.N bhar de
    wo ji.nhe.n tabe garaa.Nbaarii-e-ayyaam nahii.n
    unakii palako.n pe shab-o-roz ko halkaa kar de

jinakii aa.Nkho.n ko ruKh-e-subh kaa yaaraa bhii nahii.n
    unakii raato.n me.n koii shamaa munawwar kar de
    jinake qadamo.n ko kisii rah kaa sahaaraa bhii nahii.n
    unakii nazaro.n pe koii raah ujaagar kar de

jinakaa dii.n pairavii-e-kazbo-riyaa hai unako
    himmat-e-kufr mile, jurat-e-tahaqiiq mile
    jinake sar mu.ntazir-e-teG-e-jafaa hai.n unako
    dast-e-qatil ko jhaTak dene kii taufiiq mile

ishq kaa sarr-e-nihaa.N jaan-tapaa.N hai jis se
    aaj iqaraar kare.n aur tapish miT jaaye
    harf-e-haq dil me.n KhaTakataa hai jo ka.NTe kii tarah
    aaj izahaar kare.n or Khalish miT jaaye

2. muzio says:

“umeed-e-yaar, nazer ka meezaj, derd ka rang

tum aaj kuch bhi na pochoo k dil udaas buht hai..”

3. Zia says:

Faiz triggered a wave of poetical intellect in new Pakistan – unfortunately he has not been held in place in Pakistan – the most unfortunate was zia’s regime – we owe Faiz the best of sub-continent poetry – the modern Tagore of his time – the winner of prized Lenin award – We miss this great poet on the walls of greats in Pakistan – what happened to literature and poetry in Pakistan – where is the beacon of Faiz?

4. Parmeshwar Coomar says:

Being originally from India, I was introduced to Faiz many years later through his magnificient Hum Dekhenge Song….what beautiful lyrics, what beautiful music and was sung by a noted Pakistani singer! The song is dedicated to the downtrodden and the forgotten. He should be declared a national treasure and the national poet of Pakistan. He was for the less fortunate…we need to publicize his works and thoughts more throughout the subcontinent.

5. Raheel says:

Yeh dhup kinara shaam dhalen,
    Milte hain dono waqt jahan,
    Jo raat na din, jo aaj na kal,
    pal bhar ko amar, pal bhar mein dhuaan
    Is dhup kinaare pal do pal.
    Hothon ki lapak
    Baahon ki khanak
    Yah mel hamaara jhooth na sach
    Kyon raar karen, kyon dosh dharen
    kis kaaran jhoothi baat karen
    Jab teri samandar aankhon mein
    Is shaam ka suraj dubega
    Sukh soyenge ghar dar waale
    Aur raahi apni raah lega.

-Faiz Ahmed Faiz

Just because of its eloquent imagery :)

6. imran says:

if faiz is so great then his poetry must be included in syllabus. i studied till masters level in pakistan but there was ‘nt a single poem in course books.

7. Jalaludin S. Hussain says:

I owe a lot to the great Faiz Ahmed Faiz!. As an ardent reader of daily “The Pakistan Times”, Lahore, Pakistan, I used to read his editorials regularly. I am positive that I greatly improved my English writing skills because of his excellent editorials.

His wife, Alys Faiz (Apa Jan) also inspired me a lot. She encouraged me to write English by welcoming my contributions (however full of mistakes ) in the Young Readers League page of The Pakistan Times,, back in the 50s.

If any of the former readers of YRL wants to communicate with me they can do so by e-mailing me at jalhus@hotmail.com. Thanks.

May the great intellectual and thinker rest in peace!

8. Faiz Sahib is the greatest poet of the last century. His poetry deeply influenced me . I still read his poetry, in the night before going to bed after days hardwork. I don’t enjoy that much, the translation in english of his poetry .
    ” Mere dil mere musafir,
    Hua pher se hukm sadir
    keh watan badar ho hum tum
    deyn gali gali sadayen
    kareyn rukh nagar nagar ka
    keh suraagh koi payen
    kisi yare nama bar ka
    Hur ek ajnabi so poochayn
    jo patha tha apney ghar ka
    sar e koi na shanyan
    hamey din se raath karna
    kabi iss se baath karna
    kabi os se baath karna
    tumhe kya kahoon , keh kya hey
    shab e ghum buri balaa hey
    hamey ye bee tha ghanimat
    jo koi shumaar hotha
    hame kya bura tha marna
    agar ek baar hotha;

9. he was very nice man.his death date was 20 nov 1985.he was very gentle man.he created a poetry parexillence.i was not born at the time.but still i feel that i know him and love ver much infact he lives in our hearts

• The last coment was written by my bro Muzammil Babar who is just 9 yrs and half.My name is Khadija Babar and im 10 and half.Our chachu told us about great personalities of the world and Faiz Ahmad Faiz is one of them.I am still able to understand his poetry but i do feel that he was some great person and literary man.As i grow up i will be reading his poetry Inshallah which my chachu recites and enjoys every now and then.

10. Riaz-ur-Rahman says:

Shaam ke pech-o-kham sitaron se
    Zeena-zeena utar rahi hai raat
    Yoon saba paas se guzarti hai
    Jaise keh di kisi ne pyaar ki baat.
    ……….
    ………..
    Dil se paiham khayal kahta hai
    Itni shireen hai zindagi is pal
    Zulm ka zahar gholne wale
    Kamran ho sakenge, aaj na kal
    Jalwagahe-visaal ki shamayein
    Wo bujha bhi chuke agar, to kya
    Chand ko gul karen, to hum jane.

11. Jannon main jitni bhi guzri……..Words can not measure the place of Great Faiz.No one can describe him
    coz of his multidimentional personality.He was a great person,a great poet,a great writer,a great revolutionary etc etc. Faiz lives in our hearts.He is a source of inspiration for generations.The best way to commemorate him is to struggle toward a better world,a more peacefull and justice world.Lazim hay k hum bhi dekhain gay.Jab takht giraay jaeyn gay,Jab taj uchalay jaeyn gay.

12. ASIF BUTT says:

we remember you, and will never forget.

FAIZ AHMED FAIZ (GHAZAL)

NAHI NIGHA MAIN MANZIL TO JUSTAJU HE SAHI,
    NAHI VISAAL MUYESSER TU AARZO HE SAHI,
    NA TAN MAIN KHOON FRAHAM NA ESHAQ AANKHON MAIN,
    NAMAZ-E-SHAOK TU WAJAB HAI BAY-WAZZO HE SAHI,
    KISI TARAH TU JAMMAY BAZAM MA-KADE WALO,
    NAHEIN JO BAADA-O-SAGAR TU HAA HU HE SAHI,
    AGAR INTIZAAR KATTHAN HAI TU JUB TALAK A-DIL,
    KISI K WADA-O-FERDA KI GUFTAGU HE SAHI,
    DEYAR-E-GHAIR MAIN MAHRUM AGAR NAHEIN KOI,
    TU FAIZ ZIKR-E-WATTAN APNE RUE-BA-RUE HE SAHI

BAQUOL FAIZ SAHIB: KUCH LOG JATE HUWAY HAMARI UMMAR GUZISHTAH KI KITAAB K KUCH AWRAAQ SAATH LA JATE HAIN. BAQI MANDAH ZINDAGI KI LA HAASLI PE MALAL BHI HOTA HAI, OR GUZISHTAH KUCH DEKHI OR UN-DEKHI RAFAQATEIN KHAINCHTI HAIN, K LIKH MUJH PE K ZINDAGI K MUSHTARKA DOKH OR MUHABATEIN YAAD KERNE KA YEHI AIK AIYANA HAI.

KAB NAZAR MAI AYE GI BAY-DAGH DHABHE KI BAHAR, KHOON K DHABHE DHULLAIN GE KITNI BARSAATON K BAAD.

13. Sana says:

One of my favourites

yeh jafa-e-ghum ka chara, voh najaat-e-dil ka aalam
    tera husn dast-e-iisa, teri yaad rooh-e-mariyam

dil-o-jaan fidaayen raahen, kabhi aa key dekh humdum
    Sar-e-kuu-e-dil figaaraN, shab-e-aarzuu ka aalam

teri deed se sivaa haiN, terey shauq mey baharaaN
    voh chaman jahan_giri hai, tere gesuuoN ki shabnam

lo suuni gayi hamari, yoon phirey hain din ke phir se
    vohi goshaa-e-qafas hai, vohi fasl-e-gul kaa maatam

yeh ajab qayamataiN haiN, teri rehguzar maiN guzraaN
    na hua ke mar mitey hum, na hua ke ji uThey hum

14. oppurbaBD says:

Faiz Ahmed Faiz was a poet of the world not only for Pakistan. I am in love with his poetry after reading the poem about Bangladesh Liberation War and the atrocities done by the State against her own people.

15. Atta Ur Rehman says:

Faiz was a brave poet .

“Karo kj jabeen pay sar-e-kafan
    Meray qatiloon ko guman na ho
    K ghuroor-e-ishq ka bankpan
    Pas-e-Marg hum nay bhula dia”

16. Sajid Khan says:

The poetry of Faiz is phenomenal, and it is a gift to all humankind. One must realize its true meaning to nurture! He was a great human too!

17. Uzair Saroya says:

barraa hai dard ka rishta, yeh dil ghareeb sahii,,,
    tumhare naam pe ayen ge gham-gusaar chalay…

qafas udaas hai yaaro, sabaa say kuch to kaho,,,
    kahiin to behr-e-Khudaa aaj zikr-e-yaar chalay…

“maqaam Faiz, koii raah mein jachaa he nahiin,,,
    jo koo-e-yaar say niklay to soo-e-daar chalay…”

18. joseph baloch says:

faiz was one of the greatest poet of south asia and i m inspired by his aggressive way of poetry.

19. Adnan Mufti says:

Faiz Sahib has been an instrumental icon in my life. Since I stepped in my youth, I got to realise and feel the good and bad of this world. I also tasted failure who at times, became too fatel for me. At that time, I started reading Faiz and Ahmad Faraz whose poetry did miracles upon my thoughts – my perception towards life. Faiz’s nazm “Raqeeb Say” and “Nisaar Mein Teri Galiyoon Kay” are undoubtly the best in Urdu Poetry. Faiz preached struggle and patience against tyrany; his feeling for the oppressed and his faith for a new sunrise – quoted in “Yeh gham jo iss raat nay diya hay” were simply unique. May Allah bless his soul in Jannat-ul-Firdous. Indeed, he was a great poet !

20. Asma Khoja says:

Faiz talks about the most comprehensive meaning of freedom:
    The freedom of Soul – معنوی آزادی

On Freedom

If they snatch my ink and pen
    I should not complain,
    For I have dipped my fingers
    In the blood of my heart
    I should not complain
    Even if they seal my tongue,
    For every ring of my chain
    Is a tongue ready to speak

Faiz – The Voice of the Weak

21. murassa sanaullah says:

i think a good poets poetries are for all time ,Faiz although loved to use difficult persian wordsin his verses but his poetries carried a message for human rights and love.thoughts and ideas and philosphies of great people can never be for future ,past or present because they are for all the times.faiz and josh were two poets who stuckto thier philosiphies even though they suffered most. great people are always like that .

22. M. Asghar says:

This is my own small tribute to Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s lustrous heritage for his hundred anniversary:

“Pardeye shab darid, har sou jalveye rouz ‘ayan shud
    Shabname shoukh naz boud, dideye dil jahan shud”

The night’s veil was torn, everywhere was the spectacle of the day,
    The jovial dew was coquetry, the eye of the heart became the world

23. G.H.JIBRRAN MANGNEJO says:

let us walk in bazaar in shackles
    wet eyes and restless soul is not enough
    being charged for nurturing concealed love is not enough
    let us walk in bazaar in shackles
    let us go with afshan in hand, in trance and dancing
    go with dust on head and blood on garb
    Go as the city of my beloved is waiting
    City’s ruler and crowd of commoners
    arrow of false charge, stone of accusation
    morning of sorrow, day of failure
    who is their friend except me
    who is untainted in the city of beloved
    who deserve the killers or executioners hand
    get ready for the journey of heart, go wounded heart
    let me go to be executed

FAIZ AHMAD FAIZ

24. Aqeel Abbas Jafri says:

فیض احمد فیض کی سو ویں سال گرہ کے موقع پر ان کی زمین میں نعت رسول مقبول کے چند اشعار، جو الف ،اردو لٹریری فورم کے ہفتہ وار آن لائن طرحی مشاعرہ میں ان کی سال گرہ کی رات فی البدیہہ کہی گئی۔

جو سوئے طیبہ کبھی ہم گناہ گار چلے
    تو یوں لگا ہے کہ ہم بوجھ سب اتار چلے

خوشا وہ آنکھ جو ان جالیوں کو چھو آئے
    خوشا وہ دل جومدینے کو بار بار چلے

دکھائیں آج اسے ہم بھی معنئی رفعت
    ہمارے ساتھ کوئی کاش اس دیار چلے

انہی کے نام سے روشن ہیں یہ زمان و مکاں
    انہی کے ذکر سےگلشن کا کاروبار چلے

انہی کے نام پہ تخلیق کائنات ہوئی
    انہی کا تا بہ قیامت اب اقتدار چلے

کوئی طلب تو کرے،جان و دل فقیروں کے
    اس ایک نام پہ آئیں گے بے شمار چلے

—– ق ———
    اک ایسی بزم میں تقدیر ہم کو لے آئی
    کہ اشک بار ہی آئے تھے اشک بار چلے
    ہمارے پاس نہ تھا کچھ بھی نذر کرنے کو
    ھمارے اشک مگر عاقبت سنوار چلے

زمین ٍفیض میں لکھی ہے یہ جو نعت عقیل
    یہ فیض رب تھا، یہاں کس کا اختیار چلے

————- عقیل عباس جعفری ————–

• واہ وا جعفری صاحب۔
      بہت ہی خوب یہ لکھی ہے گویا نعتِ رسول
      زمینِ فیض میں گلشن کا کاروبار چلے
      بڑا ہے آپ سے رشتہ ، یہ جاں غریب سہی
      نبی کے نام پہ آئیں گے غمگسار چلے
      بھلا ہو ان جو نعتِ رسول لکھتے ہیں
      نبی کے نام پہ جو شاعری کو وار چلے

محمد خلیل الر حمٰن

25. H.S. Sandhu says:

Faiz is also a huge icon in India especially Punjab. He after Ghalib is our(India’s) most beloved poet.

• Jyoti says:

In Indian Punjab boss. Outside of that not much. In fact in East, West and South India nobody knows him.

That said I too have heard a lot of good things about him. Haven’t read him though but would love to.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement