Pakistan vs India: You have to have your say

Pakistan vs India: You have to have your say

Update: Dawn.com invites its readers to be a part of its first ever Global Blog and share their experiences by blogging in real time.

No matter where you are, just as long as you’re tuned in to the live coverage of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 India vs Pakistan semi-final, here is your chance to provide your analysis, set the field, live commentate, share pictures and videos, predict the outcome of the match and have your say as Pakistan takes on India in what promises to be a cracking showdown.

For details visit Live: Pakistan vs India

The prospect itself is so hot that it does not require you to employ the art of phrasing and utilise your gift of gab in order to have your say, but have your say you must because its Pakistan versus India and the cricket fever doesn’t get any hotter than this! This is exactly why we at dawn.com would like to invite you to have your say and let it out your way regarding the biggest event, need I say, bigger than the World Cup final that the cricket crazy world is about to witness.

You can send us your critical analysis in the form of a blog post (blog@dawn.com) or shout out in a comment. You can also tweet at us @dawn_com or leave your comments on our Facebook page and we will feature it here along with all the other contributions from our readers. We’ll be challenging our own producers to come up with interesting content on the epic event to be held in the near future but we want you to have your say as well.  Compose a song, make a webcam video cheering your team, or send us an audio visual slideshow! Do something and we’ll put it up for the world to see.

The internet has become an intense driving force in modern times as recent events have shown. Fuelled by the voices of the online population, this time around Pakistan vs India is bigger than ever! So, don’t miss out on this opportunity to have your say, your way, and let it rip. However, we do advise you, for the sake of “good sportsmanship” to refrain from the “free and frank exchanges of views on female relatives” which has always been an essential part of the India-Pakistan rivalry, as alluded to by Cricinfo.

P.S. Our friends from across the border are equal contributors to debates on our website, so let us be insightful towards content vouching India triumphing over Pakistan and not forget that as fans, what we’re really celebrating is the spirit of cricket.

P.P.S. The winner of this competition (it’s not really a competition, it’s just an opportunity for you to rant out whichever way you want) will get the chance to watch the Pakistan vs India Semi-Final of the ICC World Cup 2011 live on our competitor’s television channel!

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Latest Blogs on Cricket

A Touch of Madness- Ahmer Naqvi

For the Love of Cricket- Bisma Tirmizi

Featured Comments

Taimur Sikander says, “This is what Pakistan’s Interior Minister Rehman Malik had to say about the Pakistan-India semi-final on March 30: “I had given a warning yesterday (Sunday) that there should be no match fixing. This time I am watching it very closely. If any such thing happens, we will take action,” Malik told reporters in Karachi Monday.

“They should continue the practice and go to bed early, rise up according to their schedule and dedicate themselves to the game for Pakistan,” he added.

Mr Malik, we are also watching you very closely. Go to bed early, eat your cereal and focus on your job.

We’re sure it must be a tough job, picking out the right tie and handkerchief combination.

It is understood that you have since called and apologised to Pakistan’s captain, Shahid Afridi about your earlier remarks.

“A section of (the) press has twisted my statement out of context, and wrongly projected my words,” Malik posted on Twitter, Monday night.

You know what they say about those who speak too much…

P.S. The people do in fact trust the players more than they trust you, as is being said by many a Pakistani politician.”

Shagufta Naaz sent us a short piece titled “War Games”:

“‘Pakistan and India go to war in the semi-final’ screams the headline of a leading Urdu daily (incidentally, one of the same group that has been shouting itself hoarse in the pursuit of Hope for Peace). “It’s war!” say my friends as they gear up in green T-shirts (the price of which keeps rising as the date of the match draws closer). “It’s war!” state all the commentators, analysts and of course, the ubiquitous morning show hosts. Oh yes, a match between India and Pakistan can never be just that: a game between two teams; thanks to over 60 years of a very complex, painful history, any meeting in the ground is seen as yet another encounter with the enemy. It’s not just cricket, it’s war.

Excuse me, but am I the only one who finds this casual use of the ‘W’ word distasteful? Yes, winning against India is a matter of pride and honour (or so they say), more so even than winning against the Aussies, even though it was an Australian who called our captain ‘idiotic.’ What would our reaction have been if an Indian had said that I wonder?

But to come back to the impending semi-final, feelings are running high on both sides of the border — and even further ashore. Students studying abroad report that fights between Pakistani and Indian students erupt daily on campuses, even before the two sides have come together in the ground. These are kids, many of whom may not even have seen their ‘homeland.’ Certainly none of them lived through the horrors of Partition, the trials of the ’65 and ’71 wars or perhaps even the tense days of Kargil. So where is all this anger coming from?

Perhaps all Pakistanis are born with an anti-India gene; perhaps Indians too have an anti-Pakistan gene; and perhaps venting this anger at a cricket match is better than taking it out in a more deadly manner. But just for the record — war is about death, destruction and unimaginable misery. A cricket match is about fun, excitement and, if we’re lucky, a reason to celebrate. Let’s try to keep the difference clear.”

Comments on Facebook

Chinmay Sharma says, “Many ppl have said that this is just a game but lets be reasonable it is actually a war on sports field. India and Pakistan are playing after 4 years. It doesn’t mean that ppl will kill each other but its a kind of satisfying frustration of an uneasy relationship like tom and jerry. So far but so close.”

Muhammad Hasan says,  “Clash of rivals, but with manners and ethics. :) bats not guns, balls not artilary crackers.”

Raahil Faraaz says, “There is huge excitement over the match and we are all looking forward to a great game of cricket that will be a victory for sport. It gives me great pleasure to invite all pakistani to visit Mohali and join us and the millions of fans from our two countries to watch the match.”

Zia Ullah Akhunzada says, “It ll be more than a cricket match.Pressure will be on both teams.A great chance for Pakistan to take the 1996 revenge.”

Tweets @dawn_com

Anjum_y tweeted, “I hope India and Pak cricket fans keep in mind they r playing Gentleman’s game semifinal. Let the sportsman spirit prevail please.”

RishadShaikh tweeted, “I have to admit, I am guilty of Youtubing Shoaib Akhtar’s crazy yorkers against Dravid and Tendulkar in hope of a repeat spell!”

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

742 Responses to “Pakistan vs India: You have to have your say”

1. Keny says:

Indians and Pakistanis are brothers and sisters. Let’s unite to bring about peace in the subcontinent. We should be investing in Hospitals, Schools, Roads and not in guns and terrorist camps!

• Kamal says:

I could not agree more. Let us not forget that for centuries, we lived side by side and shared all the happy and sad times together. I think we should raise above the hatred and once again enjoy each others company. Let us enjoy cricket together for what it is, sport.

2. AA says:

Pakistan team appeared in good moral and well prepared. They understand their responsibility-country image is tarnished by our politicians and by us and world bias towords Pakistan. We also under semi-occupation. This team is our last hope, they have integrity and strength. We understand it is game one has to win- we hope this time history is on our side.

3. Khalid Khokhar says:

No doubt about the both teams are in a great form and there will be a great contest by winning a few runs or wickets. Indian team is really better but do not forget the little things also. I think that everybody would be looking forward the result of this match but Pakistan will win this game inshaAllah. Amen.

4. showkat says:

comment on present not on past. It is pak team, before cup, they were marked nothing but at this point, they r whole thing. They defeat Australia and secure top position in G a.

5. Nathan says:

Let’s forget history. But, still let me say one thing. Pak has never won against india in world cup but india track record against pak in this ground is not good either. So we are even on this front (history). Now going back this up coming game. In papers india is much better side then pakistan but pak has will and courage to win against india. The main problem for pakistan is there batting and to some extend also fast balling. This team does not have quality fast bowler like waqar, wasim etc. Umer Gul is good but not great. Afridi is good and but not great. On the other hand, indian bowling is worse. Zaheer is great but does not have support of other bowlers. Bhajji is blocking run but not talking wickets, Ashwin is new to this game, Munaf never really looked leather against any team. So the bottom line is pak bowling is little better then india. Now lets talk about india’s batting. Sachin, Sewhag, Gautam, Virat, Yurvraj can single handed win matches for india but this is different ball game. In this sort of situations good fielding, run out can create panic in team and then batting collapse. Now what are the chances of this happening. Its less because pak fielding is horriable. Pak batting on the other hand don’t have great openers, Also, one of their top batsman is little out of form (Misbah), but on a given day afridi, abdul can win matches for them. So based on these analysis india is little ahead of pak. But the X factor in both teams make this contest even (Shoiab Akhtar for Pak, Ashwin for India). So everyone take chill pill and wait for wed.

6. rick says:

i read the 4 teams in the semi final are hindus, budhist, christians and muslims.. what a conicidnce..

may the best win!!!

• Sarfraz says:

thats the problem when teams are identified by religion.. This mentality needs to be corrected

7. Rajeev says:

I’m so encouraged to read these comments. Let their be more people to people interactions, build trust and enjoy a great game of cricket. Batting for peace…love my friends from across the border!

8. Prem Silhi says:

I just stopped at the Forum to say good luck for both Indian and Pakistani cricket teams and was overwhelmed by the outpouring love and greetings from cricket fans in the two countries. I recall my own experience at the border crossing between US and Canada in 2002; I was so happy to see a white monument that bore a message that the gates of friendship between people of both the countries may never close. And, the immigration formalities did not take more than a traffic stop, while we remained in the car, to cross over to Canada on our way to Vancouver for a day-trip. I am from Kartarpur (India) and always wonder if we too would ever have a similar white monument between India and Pakistan that will reflect peace and friendship.

9. indian says:

India Vs Pakistan – though of late it lost its zing that we used to have…with so much at stake..this will be awesome. Best Batsmen Vs Best Bowlers. Sachin Vs Shoib – result is going to leave one with happiness and one with sorrow. But lets enjoy the enthralling while it lasts and may the team plays best positive cricket win.

10. Afnan khan says:

I thought i was in a different universe reading the comments… Talk about a good, non rabid, discussion about the match. Shows how the common man does not fall for the enemy ally crap when they are allowed to touch each other regardless of the medium used (Now now, this is a mature conversation). It’s only when u stop talking that you begin to lose…

That said, Go Go Go Greens :D

11. Ali says:

It is just madness, and I am glad I m very much part of it !

The stuff coming out from the media and Pakistani politicians, especially MALIK ji is just hysterical.

An Indian ‘scholar’ Ramachandra Guha was quoted as saying in Soutik Baswas column on BBC website that “These days , Indians don’t take failure as national humiliation. Perhaps they consoled themselves that the country surpassed Pakistan in all spheres. It had better scientists, better writers, a more vigorous film industry, and was a democracy besides.”

I personally think Soutik usually comes out with rubbish but this time the scholar he quoted is just spot on, sadly though. That said, possibly cricket is the last thing that India still believes that Pak is at par with them, and should Pak lose on 30th Mar, I am afraid that feeling would be gone too..
    My team, my fellow country men in green ………. PLEASE WIN, you do not have a clue about the impact it will have on the morale of the nation. Best of Luck.

12. Shadupani says:

Team Pakistan has nothing to lose. The team hasn’t got a single batsman who i
    Can be considered as “internationally recognized” – sans- Sachin, Ponting, Sankakara and the like. The team Pakistan bowlers got the team to where they are now. Team India has huge stakes in this game. They simply cannot lose this game. No way Sir! But the forever unpredictable Pakistan is capable of anything – just anything. Expect them to play their hearts out and they have more than the game of cricket to win – the hearts and minds of the Indians. Now to my own two pennies – if shahid afridi clicks with the bat, India is a goner. And, if shoib Akhtar plays, Pakistan will lose.

13. Chak says:

not sure…so just checking up…. which team is veena malik supporting??

14. Kurien Joseph says:

Let’s not decieve ourselves. Any ardent India/Pakistan cricket fan will tell you this is most tense part of our lives. We will all sweat more than our Job interviews. Just the thought of a world cup knock out stage match between India-Pak will send chills down our spine. Do not expect camaraderie until the end of the game. Smack talk to jeers will be thrown across the border. We are a patriotic breed of cricket frenzied nationalists. Let us not talk about sportsmanship. We will leave the gentlemen on the field to act in good sporting spirit. As for us, we are not bound by such moral laws. Frankly for such a match as this, it is an all out war. This is our contemporary Lagaan. This is the plain truth.

15. Jahiz says:

Im very surprised at the arrogance coming from the other side, but I know there are good people on both sides and I think it will be a close game.
    I keep hearing about history, about old WC encounters, etc. But you should understand that history is exactly that, history. its gone, done with. This will be our time, we will win IN INDIA, and furthermore, we will raise the cup in INDIA.
    I just hope the indians will be gracious in defeat and will go beyond what is imaginable at this time, and that is supporting us in the final.

16. R Parhar says:

Pakistan, I think your journey in this world cup is coming to an end on Wednesday. Hopefully Sachin gets a double-century, Yuvraj gets a 5-fer and bhaji gets a hat-trick.

• Sheeba says:

Its not that easy for Sachin to get a double century against Pakistan; same is the case with Yuvraj and harbhajjan. Paki players will give a fight to the Indians, and most probably it’ll be Pakistan who will take the match!!

17. Ayaz says:

Have you already forgotten what South Africa did tour class team?!!!!!!
    Do not be so pompous, you may have to lick your wounds.

18. ahmed says:

whoever wins, just send me some desi sweet in USA.

19. Atish Deshmukh says:

Pakistanis are our brothers who left us 50 yrs ago….deep inside heart, we still love them …keep the politics aside!! god bless for both teams!!

20. Subhashis Nag says:

This semifinal match is nothing short of a setup drama.A top source in India’s revenue department has already revealed the result- India will lose. Yes, Pakistanis, you see it right. INDIA WILL LOSE THE SEMI FINAL AGAINST PAKISTAN. This result will yield the maximum money for the mafia.The man who leaked this to the media is Mr. Vishwa Bandhu Gupta, Commissioner of Income Tax. People in India and Pakistan are crazy for cricket.This craze is now killing the game.My appeal to everyone- treat this as a game. Do not get hyper about it.

21. MUHAMMAD SHARIF HOSEN says:

The people of Bangladesh excitingly waiting to see a great cricket war between two neighbouring countries. who wins or lose it’s not fact, we would like to enjoy a peaceful and cordial fight. The cricket and the cricketers could be the pioneers of friendly relation between Pakistan and India as their people like. We want a united and reliable south Asia. So Afridi and Dhoni go ahead and show your highest excellence. This is the moment to start a new era of solidarity, all of us with you.

22. Anand says:

Kudos – lets have some fun and enjoy the moment – Welcome Pakistan from an Indian neighbor

23. Let's Go India!!! says:

I hope and pray that this time India wins cause the chances are looking real bright. But at the same time even if we loose than I personally wish the team that beats us wins the world cup even it it is Pakistan they surely deserves it. Good luck guys. Cheers!!!

24. I P says:

I have to commend all the participants for their civility… never see such a non-hostile online chat room. Maybe the Politicians and the Fanatics need to take a look at this. :)

25. pakwinner says:

If 2 things fall through for pakistan, I belive pak will beat India.

1…. pak has to win the toss & have to have a target of 280 Runs for Indian team

2…. Akther has to be included, otherwise, India is too good against spin bowling.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement