That’s Dr. Malik for you

That’s Dr. Malik for you

First it was the Sitara-e-Imtiaz awards that our government gave out so generously to numerous people that barely deserved them. Now, we are faced with the reality of knowing that our very own Interior Minister Rehman Malik has received an honourary degree of Doctorate from the Karachi University.

What’s more shocking than the fact that Malik is now Dr. Malik, is the reason given to explain why he was chosen: The degree has been awarded in recognition of his “matchless services to the country in the war on terror and particularly in restoring peace to the citizens of Karachi.”

The fact that thousands have died in the war on terror and are still dying seems to not matter here. The fact that Karachi has lost hundreds in target killings under Malik’s reign also does not seem to make a difference.

What seems to be the most disturbing thought on this news however remains, who actually believes Malik has made any kind of positive impact to Pakistan’s security situation?

More importantly, how could Sindh Governor, Dr Ishratul Ebad assess that “Malik’s efforts against terrorism and valuable help in maintaining law and order in Karachi are known to everyone.”

If that’s true, then could it be possible that we are all simply oblivious to the great man Dr. Malik just might be under that cloak of failures that he wears?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

144 Responses to “That’s Dr. Malik for you”

1. Asaf says:

Mr. Malik should have graciously asked not to be honored this way. He is well aware of his short-comings, lack of any competency, reputation? and no intellect.

2. adnan says:

Corruption is everywhere now even our educational institute are not spared.

3. Noaman says:

Now all the genuine PhDs from Karachi University are in a fix because they have lost the value of their hard earned degrees from KU.

4. Danish Bawla says:

KU lost credibility today.

5. Tahir says:

I’m laughing and crying together!

6. Mala says:

It just shows the value of PH.d from Karachi university.

7. Zahid Khan says:

Shows illiteracy inside the University itself! Besides, this is like adding salt on the wounds of the people who lost their near dear ones in all acts of killings during his reign.

8. Shafique says:

And yet we ask why we are the laughing stock of the world…

9. Waqar KaimKhani says:

This degree reminded me of Noble prize given to President Barrack Obama for his peace effort for the world. hahaha!!!
    The whole world is rotating around power game!!!

10. shyam says:

Hahahahah ……In India too we practice this . Universities degrade themselves with this act.

11. orion says:

well described in so few words. Mediocrity on the rise.

12. Sahibzada Imtiaz says:

Now i Know how he got his degrees. hahahah

13. j.asad says:

This is a shamless act from the administration of karachi. I challange this degree.

14. Faraz says:

Shame on these politicians.

15. Concerned says:

By awarding doctorate degree to controversial man has confirmed that KU and its administration is also controversial as they are not allowing son of soul to get education from this university, which is located in capital city of Sindh Province. SHAME on admission policy of KU and Its administration………

16. Farhan says:

Why stop at Nishan-e-Imtiaz and honorary docotrate? Why not nominate Mr. Malik for the Nobel Peace Prize?

17. Mir says:

the fact that Karachi University awarded the highest educational award to the most corrupt person of the country is absolutely sadened, what i dont understand is a city as big as Karachi and the University as respectable and reputable as Karachi University didnt find any one other than Mr.Malik , if they were so desperate to throw the doctrate degree for Peace , they should have consider the people of karachi , SHAME !!!!

18. LRHC says:

Knowing how easy it is now to get even a doctorate degree, I think I wasted my time, money and energy during my 4-yr Engineering program!

19. Rev. Eldrick Lal says:

Does he (malik) really deserve to have such a higher degree? I failed miserably to understand the fact that why Karachi University decided to honor him with prestigious degree.

20. Mujtaba says:

This step will reduce the credibility of Pakistan university world wide. This is disgusting and shameful act, already Pakistani students are facing difficulties getting admission abroad and it will enhance more. In this country there is no education values, only things that matter is POWER and PAISA.

21. Atif says:

Thank God, I am not graduate from Karachi University….
    We can expect it from Govt. like they disgrace Sitara-e-Imtiaz awards before…
    But what happen to VC Karachi University…..????

22. mkk says:

SHAME ON KARACHI UNIVERSITY. All students should boycott KU …..

23. sana yasin says:

Pure Tragedy of this nation.God Help us

24. Ibrahim says:

Just when I think that I have heard it all from Pakistani politicians, I hear a bigger nonsense from them.

25. sheraz says:

KU Rockz..lol

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement