What’s in a venue?

What’s in a venue?

Sindh High Court has denied Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf permission to hold its December 25 rally at Quaid-e-Azam’s mausoleum in Karachi.

According to the policy of the Mazar Management Board, the body responsible for the governance of the mausoleum, holding a rally within the 10-foot radius of the mausoleum is not permitted. The SHC has, therefore, ordered the PTI to contact local authorities for arranging an alternate location for the rally.

In response, the PTI has vowed to file an appeal against the ruling, saying that the Sindh Government had previously granted permission for the rally to be held at mausoleum but changed its stance in the court.

Should the PTI accept the SHC ruling and change the venue of the rally or should it lodge an appeal?

If the appeal is turned down and the PTI is not granted permission to hold the rally at Quaid’s mausoleum, should it change the venue?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their views and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

43 Responses to “What’s in a venue?”

1. sja says:

After the PTI political rally, your title is perfectly right — What is in venue??? The Pakistanis all over the globe saw the speeching stalwarts of PTI approaching Tsunami , during all day none of them or the leaders of PTI had time to climb some stairs and pay homage to the great leader, they proved your point what is in venue? They spoke and spoke and danced and concerted with singers for a new Quaid’s Pakistan at the footsteps of the Quaid’s Masoleum. Can they explain what type of PTI Pakistan?

• YK says:

Cent percent agree. PTI is employing various tactics & strategies in collection more and more people. People going to Mazar-e-Quaid on 25 Dec will find no problem in “Enjoying” the concert & having fun.
      With no clear plans, no agendas or time frames and same old promises, PTI have only music & dance to collect masses on important occasions and show its “Strength”. This was just a tactical decisions.

2. A.R.Shams says:

PTI may consider the matter of holding its rally in the venue of the Qaid’s shrine to appeal to to the apex Supreme Court of Pakistan in case SHC denies permission for that.

3. Dr Omer Mallhi says:

The main problems in Pakistan has always been surrounding Rule of Law and mostly the Lack of it. If SHC has stopped PTI from doing a rally in a specific area then they should try to get permission from SC and if they don’t get it then change to another venue. Show of power is truly visible in controlling that power.

4. Atif Amin says:

Sind Government is using negative tactics to keep people and PTI interact together for the betterment of the nation. Everybody knows it very well that Imrna Khan is an emerging power and an ultimate threat to all parties. If it was not allowed at Mizar e Quaid than why permission was granted earlier. For sure its a conspiracy. PTI rocks, follow the law if court turns down the request and choose any road, any place in Karachi and i am sure people will fill it.

5. Murtaza Jamal says:

Yes, PTI should move its rally to another location. If the policy of the Mazar Management Board has been in place from before, then the policy must be enforced. Also, if we let PTI hold it here once, then others much much less deserving parties will try to do the same. Infact, I agree with the policy but why just a 10 foot radius ? that sounds a bit silly.

6. Bilal says:

Firstly – everyone should obey courts hearing.
    Secondly – What PTI has appealed for is that correct information was not provided, as the public meeting is not within the radius that is not allowed its outside and incorrect information is provided to SHC by the govt officials. As all assessment would have been done and then only govt approved the meeting so preparations started.
    Third – Any party should play dirty games in order not to hold public meetings by putting these kind of obstacles, it exposes other parties and promotes the one holding rally. Benazir was also due to attend a public meeting ar the same venues before karsaz incident.
    No matter where the venue is i believe people will attend.

7. Owais says:

If holding rally in a specific radius of Mazar-e-Quaid is not allowed then I thnk PTI should follow the rules and hold rally somewhere else… otherwise IMran khan would stand in the same lines as he blames others for not folowing the rules. Make a difference :)

8. Rizi rao says:

As law is equal for all so law should b abide by .it will make no difference by changing the venue those who are motivated to join PTI jalsa they will come by all means .let the sindh govt be happy by not permitting Mazar e Quaid.

9. Reasoner says:

Why PTI is hell bent on holding rally near Mazar-e-Quaid ?

For me the reason is quite simple i.e. thousands of people visit Mazar-e-Quaid on holidays and on especial occassions like 14th Aug or 25th December even more people visit the place !
    What I understand PTIans want to hijack that crowd which is a regular visitor of Mazar-e-Quaid !
    If ‘Justice Party’ believes in independent/free judiciary then it also needs to accept decisions of ‘free judiciary’ !
    Moreover Nishtar Park is not very far from Mazar-e-Quaid and it has enough space to accomodate a very big crowd .. so it’s better to shift the venue of PTI jalsa to Nishar Park !

10. democratic says:

I truly believe Imran Khan has the potential to bring change in Pakistan. People argue that he’s inducting old tested politicians which will not help his cause to change Pakistan but i do believe that only he’s the person who has the leadership qualities or better than the others, can only change Pakistan’s destiny. hopefully politicians entering his party will follow his actions.

11. Islam habib khan says:

It will create a wrong precedence to hold political meetings at Quiad’s mazar.

We must respect the sanctity of the location and move out of there.

There are many other places in Karachi which can cater for large crowds.

12. Khudabux says:

Imran Khan strongly & firmly believes in today’s Pakistani courts and support them in every decisions. Now the same court has given this decision. So I don’t understand why PTI people are now objecting the decision. It is a court decion.It is nothing to do with government or with any political party. And court decision says, NO ONE IS ALLOWED AT QUAID’S MAZAAR. It didn’t say that only PTI is not allowed. Court is telling about Quaid’s Mazaar, not of any other place in Karachi. Please follow the RULE OF LAW.

13. Saqib says:

The rally should not be allowed, Its not a Minar e pakistan, Its Quaid-e-Azam’s Mazar where is the Sanity of the Mazar? There are lots of Big grounds in karachi and no shortage of spaces, Personally i dont like People there having a concert at Mazar e Quaid itsa Disgrace to father of Nation.

14. parmoon shuja says:

If PTI. is confident of its supporters, then this venue or that venue does not matter. What matters is law and peace. And PTI. should follow the rules.

15. Fahad says:

A nation who can’t pay homage and respect to their founding father on the day of his birthday at his mausoleum can only be Pakistani. I think on 25th December their should be a curb in all the political hanky panky in the entire country, let alone the arrangement of a rally in the vicinity of Quaid’s monument.

16. Asad says:

If the court has ruled against it, and the ruling cannot be overturned by an appeal, then i’m afraid IK doesn’t have a choice but to move the rally. He HAS to respect the law. Besides, PTI/IK should be given a contempt of court notice if they actually disobey the ruling which will not bode well for IK’s campaign in Sindh.

17. Abdul Wajid says:

Please do not use Mohmmad Ali Jinnah’s name or his grave for political purposes. Leave him alone. You have enough damage to his beloved country.

18. mt durrani says:

The ppp and pmln who are supportive to eachother in one way or the other.look nawas shareef is n karachi for few days. pti since is the champion of courts independence and justice hence they have the court managed the situation against the pti and want the pti to defy it so they can say look the champion law are defying it.

19. Noman says:

All nation is with Imran Khan, wherever he arrange the rally..

20. Dr. Noman says:

Noone can stop the popularity of PTI. These are all lame games.
    Victory is not far from IK. God bless u..

21. zoha says:

It is intresting to visualize how Sindh court is not permitting Mr khan for his rally to be held at most significant place of Karachi, after all the current leadership guarantee presence of true democracy and he did previously held a rally at Minare Pakistan in Lahore….and he even promises that rally will be held to unite the people who are unfortunately divided into sects.Hence i believe its best place to hold a rally like this which may influence young minds to motivate them for a better future only as a PAKISTANI.

22. Mansur Khan (Namibia) says:

Let us keep the Quaid’s grave out of this political mess. There is Nishtar park close by, why not hold it there??

23. IQBAL SHER KHAN says:

Sindh High court ruling regarding denial of permission to PTI for holding a rally on December 25, 2011 at Quaid,s mausoleum will not effect the rally rather it increases the popularity graph of Imran Khan.So it would be more better for him to change the venue.

24. Shabbir Kazmi says:

Don’t create the hype. Taking the garbage is not adding to the popularity of PTI. It has already become a B team of establishment.

• Amjad Wyne says:

And how do you define the establishment? Isn’t that garbage? There is plenty that this government and its supporters could do in the last four years – for the sake of PPP, for the sake of this nation and its people but they did not and that is the real garbage.

25. Aslam says:

PTI has every right to appeal against SHC decision as it is too close to change. But if decision persists ,then PTI should respect it and change venue . This will not make much difference coz people are still go for PTI and wuill not be distracted by these tactics.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement