Dawn Urdu: Bridging the language divide

Dawn.com has been reaching thousands of people across the globe on a 24/7 basis, providing them with the latest news, features and analysis from the South Aian region and beyond. To enhance our reach and diversity, we now introduce an Urdu version of Dawn.com.

Bridging the language divide, now our news and features are also available in Urdu on http://urdu.dawn.com/. We would appreciate any views we can get from you regarding the site and whether you have a critique, question or general feedback, we want to hear it!

Dawn.com’s Urdu site is accessible in its Beta version currently, and new features and modifications are constantly being made – your help would give us more focus.

Are you looking forward to having yet another platform to debate in? Is there any specific kind of material you wish to see more of on the Urdu site? Tell us!

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

18 Responses to “Dawn Urdu: Bridging the language divide”

1. Ali says:

Well done on having an Urdu version! This way every much needed, the only other good Urdu source was the BBC. Its great that a Pakistani newspaper has an Urdu online version.

2. Sami says:

Congratulations and thanks for realizing whats good for the common man in Pakistan. First the correct step was for DAWN TV channel and now urdu version of the website.

Please consider a proper urdu newspaper and other magazine stuff too so that people other than “elite” or “special” class can have another source of reliable information.

3. Amjad Ch says:

Its great. Dawn is a shining star on the sky of English journalism. We wish its Urdu version may also got such a reputation and credibility as well. There is need to avoid “Gulabi Urdu” – mixture of English in Urdu as being practiced by many channels and newspapers.

4. Agha Ata (USA) says:

A very big step, indeed. Congratulations. :) I have some thoughts on the topic: 1) Language should be made easier to understand, by replacing some unfamiliar Arabic words to Urdu words. 2) Not using typed script would be a better idea which is harder to read. 3) Improving over the format is also necessary 4) Using diacritics to make it easier to pronounce the word would be a great help. Let me elaborate a little on this. Many Urdu speaking people in Pakistan spend their valuable time, thinking that they are helping the cause of improving their language, by discussing pronunciation of words, like “Is the correct to pronounce the word Intikhab” or should it be “Untikhab” or Untakhab… and so on…” The fact of the matter is that this difficulty is caused by NOT using diacritics in writing ( like zabar, zer pesh etc.) AND, excuse me for being so blunt, the scholars of Urdu have hardly spent any time to improve the script which is causing the language to deteriorate with time (what we need are proper alphabets for the vowels, like all other great languages have) especially while using Arabic words from Zia era. Language should be made very easy for the speakers and writers. Newspapers have a big responsibility in this regard. Dawn can be a great help!
    Besides, we, in foreign countries are more interested in the news of our native countries. The news of the countries we live in are better presented in the TV and newspapers, right here. For example, some Pakistani and Indian newspapers give local news in length that confuses, because they give it a different color. They, probably, regard Pakistanis or Indians in the USA having the same mindset which is not always true. And the readers know the difference. As a matter of fact we don’t need local news in a foreign newspaper. I hope to read more about Pakistan, what, when where and all that! Since Americans won’t read the Urdu newspaper we can talk heart to heart without Americanizing the thoughts or the language. Good Luck!

5. Coco says:

I would really like to see blog contributions written in urdu!

6. rehan says:

I miss Dawn’s English news channel : that was the only news channel that could be classified as a “decent”!!!

7. Bajaj says:

Excellent intiative.

Have been faithful reader for the past six-seven years, but I do not know how to read the script, can we also have urdu written in the roman script? Just a humble request, if possible.

Thanks.

8. Anwar Amjad says:

Urdu edition of Dawn is a good effort. I am sure Dawn will live up to its reputation. Pakistanis abroad are very fond of Pakistani TV shows and dramas but the existing Pakistani news websites are not giving good coverage. I hope Dawn.com Urdu will fill up this gap.

9. malik says:

I hope you dont turn into those urdu papers like Jang and Naway waqt. We have enough urdu newspapers in this country who keep on spreading their myopic views all the time so please stop this nonsense. Already you guys turned Dawn tv into urdu and now there are no english news or any other programs in englsih at all on paki media. Even Iran and China have english channels.

thanks

10. Nasir says:

I’m unable to read Urdu edition, it just shows boxes. Tested on different web browsers, but to no avail. What fonts do I need to install?

11. Sid says:

Wonderful step by the DAWN team. The lower-staff at my work place reads BBC Urdu regularly and now I have advised them to switch to DAWN-urdu. Two concerns though
    1. Could you make the urdu font more comfortable to read, I am sure it could be done.
    2. Can selective English opinion blogs also be translated will maintaining a separate urdu blog.

12. AZAM KHAN says:

PLZ TRANSLATE THE EDITORIAL PAGE IN URDU DAILY, IM CSS STUDENT SO THAT I CAN IMPROVE MY ENGLISH

13. Amit Julka says:

A very wise move by Dawn. The disconnect between Urdu and English is one of the primary reasons why progressive voices are not heard by a majority in Pakistan. From now on, Urdu speaking PAkistanis will be able to enjoy the wicked sarcasm of NFP and the likes!

Amit
    (India)

14. khalid says:

congradulation, dawn is always a very reliable source of information. it would be really intresting to see how the dawn writer’s intract with urdu aurdience, as most of urdu audience thinks oppsite to english writer.

15. Asad Ali says:

Good addition. Add poetry section classic n new.

16. Nasah (USA) says:

Congratulations Dawn for the Urdu edition — our hope you keep the same journalistic standards of the URDU one as you keep of your English edition.

17. ALi says:

A very wise move from the Admin. I must say, even international media houses maintain Urdu edition of their websites. So i hope it will go beyond and would benefit the masses.

18. NabeelUddin says:

This is very appreciable step for readers of Pakistan. We need to educate our nation to build one nation.
    Website in urdu get more viewer at last.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement