Doctors’ deadlock

While the striking young doctors in Punjab argue that they aren’t protesting for more money, the Punjab government maintains that the ‘service structure’ they seek adds Rs23bn to the provincial health budget.

The government also says it has already given the young doctors raises worth Rs4.5bn.

However, the young doctors have been continuing their strike with dozens of them also being arrested.

Although the representatives of the Young Doctors Association, Punjab, have repeatedly said they are providing cover for essential medical services, they should also realise the misery of the masses awaiting treatment at government hospitals.

Now that army doctors have been called in and seven patients have died due to lack of medical care, should the young doctors not look towards another approach to have their demands met, regardless of how legitimate they are?

Is boycotting their duty the only way for them to draw attention to their plight?

How can the Punjab government help remove this deadlock which if not dealt with soon, can lead to loss of more lives?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

59 Responses to “Doctors’ deadlock”

1. awais says:

I am doctor in UK . no one calls me maseeha here . i am a professional like everyone else and offer my services in return of good salary.

you want me to work free and be called MASEEHA..no thanks.

2. abaidullah says:

Inspite of all measures Govt ( zalam i ala, Jajalay i ala ) not ready to listen us for our service structure for the benifit of health system both for health professionals and for the poor people. People should have to realize that doctors are on roads , Govt not listening us .How it is possible that govt listen us on table talk……. Now people give decision and stand with doctors. Govt totally failed to mange this and should have to resign

3. Farhan says:

Hey Docs. Will you finish your strike or not? You will definitely get a service structure but I am sure that you won’t get protocol like cars, drivers and mortgages (that would be injustice with other professionals). If you wanted protocol, you should have joined CSS after MBBS like so many of your fellows did. Administration has its own perks

• taj mahmood says:

if docs will go for the CSS then you will lack more of the doctors in your country as is there always a shortage of doctors. and our health system will fall back more and more.. it is not good to say that a doctor should go for CSS. CSS can be attempted after any graduation who is even if not important like simple B.A etc. But being a doc require a lot of struggle and 6 years to complete this graduation and gov serves 5 lack each ear at least on every doc. think about it. so a doc should b given such an opportunity to do his/her job in respected field. so that people should get the proper benefit.

• sara says:

y the CSS officer should get this if doctor, i think doctors study duty hours emergencies, to be their in all climities they deserve more than beurocrates,
        i hav seen this that doctor study and study ,the cream really wasted its life and this soceity even dont know the duties of the doctor just know to blame and blame
        i think doctors deserve not the beurocrates who just siiting in AC offices houseshavng all luxuries fron public income texas if they than doctor too.

4. Dr. Gull says:

the demands of YDA should be consider seriously and they should not treat like this. As they are serving our nations they are paying a lot of attention to perform their duties sincerely. most of the time these doctors could not celebrate any event with their families just because they are performing their duties. my sister is a doctors and she have to do a 30 hr duty and then a night duty right after that 30 hrs and same is the case for all of her colleagues. dnt you think that it is miserable, it is so much tough job. but they are fully performing their duties and even then our punjab police is treating them like criminals. is this a respect for such a noble profession. this PML-N govt is doing nothing except corruption.
    now its our duty that we stand with the YDA even if we belong to any other department and force the govt to listen about their demands. and to stop the govt from such a discourteous behavior.

5. KCK says:

Can any one provide analyses of actual cost to tax payers for making one doctor? I mean it costs a lot to run a medical college by government or hard working tax payers when compared to the tuition paid by the student doctors. I always observed the farmers of our country work hard with whole family and children and pay taxes and can not dream living life of a doctor who is a doctor because the hard work of hard working families paid and made the doctors. Striking doctors shall feel guilty of being so selfish but do not think of the poor farmers whose hard earned tax money made the striking doctors as doctors. God bless hard working farmers and others who pay the tax to subside these doctor’s education and the doctors want more and more.

• sara says:

its injustice to say all that govt spends money from farmers hardship , its true that every 1 cant b doctor so try to retain ur doctors , how difficult is to b a doctor the study is tough the duties are tough the responsibilitis are togh and the money spent by doctors parents is many many times more than the css or ,asp capitain all those who are enjoyng luxuries on the hardship of that farmer
      and what the doctor luxuries are? nothing before they started stuggle pay was even less than a sapahi
      whosoever have made its by their practice spending lives
      if other govt officials can enjoy luxuries y not a doctor so that he may not think of practice

its injustice just to criticize doctors

6. Syed Ali says:

Doctors to be treated nicely and respectfully its not easy to become doctor, It took lots of efforts money and time to become a doctor.

• shahid says:

what they are doing is not an exception. Rather they should avoid from prescribing large quantities of medicine to the patients absolutely unnecessarily just to boost their commission in medicines. Doctors not only prescribe heavily but they also told the name of medical store from where to buy the medicines. Not all Doctors are following this path but anyway the kali bhairain are not less than 90%.

7. Dr.sana says:

its the right of any doctor to ask about increase in pay so the government has to take this matter seriouly because they r serving there life also which is important for them too.

• Dr.MUHAMMAD KASHIF says:

yup its the right of doctors…………….docotrs should not be intrmingled with rest of community bec its very tough to b a doc n to do long long duties so they must be paid accordingly

8. rehan says:

Yeah..please pay attention to these doctors before they start boycotting emergency rooms and operation theatres as well… of course , they aren’t after money…no way!!!!…they just want to have salary structures revised and they will leave no stone unturned to achieve that……

9. Dr Aziz says:

Dear All,
    I am a doctor, I served in AJK for 2 years volunteerly .. Any One else have served humanity for 6 months WITHOUT pay???
    I can name 100 of doctors who served Pakistan at the time of need…
    Tell me any other profession person have served FREE pakistan

10. Zubair says:

The progress of any society is measured by HDI that stands for human development index. In this the two most important entities are Health sector and Education Department. The seriousness of Punjab Govt. is reflected by the Absence of Health Minister altogether. And previously we have seen the way education fiasco was dealt with by the Govt when wrong Fsc and Metric Results were announced.
    The doctor problem could have easily be solved because it never required any rocket science to comprehend it. But unfortunately the highhandedness and incompetence of Punjab Govt created a hill out of a mole hole. Every Govt servant has the right to have a service structure and this was the simple demand of Doctors.
    Secondly, no death occurred till the Punjab Govt. showed its true brutal face by slamming down hostels doors, thrashing doctors and dragging them to jail lockups. Only then the emergencies were closed since the same doctors who had worked in emergencies were subjected to this brutal act. Whenever there is an oppression there will always be a reaction.
    As far as oath is concerned, the Govt officials also take an oath to protect the interests of its public. Was the oath adhered to by the Punjab Govt.?

11. Omar says:

I have never heard of police beating up doctors anywhere in the world and they way they raided the hostels as if it was drug mafias. The top students of any society become the doctors after vigorous training and practice and this kind of treatment is just cruel and barbaric and they expect them to save lives. I think the whole of Pakistan should be more respectful towards the doctors. No one gave a damn until now on how unjustly they were treated with long working hours low salaries and bullied by patients at occasions. If the lives of people were so precious why didn’t the Govt resolve the issue properly. So please don’t vote for the same ones next time.
    thank you.

12. Disillusioned medic says:

Reading through some of the comments posted here makes me realise just how uninformed non medics are about medicine, especially Mr Waheed, who really doesn’t have a clue as to what he’s talking about.

Medical students have always been considered to be some of the brightest minds in this country. It was us who were busy slogging away at our textbooks during FSc. During medical school we then had to read through a small mound of textbooks which if they were to be stacked one on top of each other reach to almost 10-12 feet in height.

After that during post graduation we then had to struggle through more textbooks, workshops, practical exams and then finally our fellowship exams.

All of this takes at least 9 – 10 years of our life. at the end of all this we get handed a salary equivalent to peanuts. We work weekends, we slog through the night, and at the end of it all, our government has the nerve to deal with us this way.

• rehan says:

So I guess this gives doctors license to play havoc with patients lives ? Or were they real busy attending patients selflessly but had to abandon them as they were thrashed mercilessly by Police ? I fail to under stand why the PATIENTS have to pay for the hardships that the medical students go through before graduating.

• Eraj says:

You have a right to raise legitimate demands, and from what I’ve gathered, a service structure is a legitimate demand. I also am inclined to believe the YDA version that nobody died because of this strike, until the “authorities” stepped in. That being said, please do not base your arguments on how much you studied or how hard you have worked. We all work hard for what we want. And we all choose freely. You became a doctor by your own choice. Nobody held a gun to your head, so please don’t make your lousy college and postgraduate life sound like a favor to the rest of us.

• qaiser says:

I completely agree with UR comment, i my self M a surgeon and cant simply stand the idea of refusing to see a pt.Its absolutely disgusting,yes doctors are payed less but i knew that when i joined medicine.I traveled in buses and wagons even after doing my FCPS in surgery,life was difficult but that’s the choice i made in life.I know i can never enjoy the life of MALIK RIAZ but i savour the respect given to me by the society in large and by God ALMIGHTY rendering me with the [power to heal.M not trying to preach anything but what ever i have done is not a favour to ppl of my country.I was there in earthquake but i cant imagine not being their when people needed me. We treat enemies not as enemies but as patients coz this is what this profession is about,there are other ways of pressing the issue BUT REFUSING TO Attend patients is UNPARDONABLE even in THE MOST UNCIVILIZED societies.LIFE IS VERY TOUGH FOR DOCTORS but that was my choice,Service structure needed and salaries to be raised BUT FOR THE LIFE OF IT HOW CAN U SLEEP SAYING NO TO Patients.My first in services hospital, i was taught that “We are surgeons not Clerks and cant close the file as time is over”i guess i had better role models and i have failed to pass that BATON on.THIS IS SIGN OF DECAY in society by large and i feel ashamed that i could do my bit.M not a peacher and not criticizing any one but just wanted my self to feel a bit lighter by saying to all the Pakistanis that I AM SORRY .

• Farhan says:

Good argument eraj. I am sick of doctors telling me how hard they worked. They may be right in their minds but why don’t they realize that everyone who achieves some position works hard.

• Disillusioned medic says:

Favour eh?

I joined medicine at a time when things were a lot better… the only problem is that the country has gone into a nose dive since that time. I used to have a suzuki FX, which I sold last year as I couldn’t afford to keep it running. Ever tried doing a 36 hour emergency shift and then going home while hanging precariously from the side of a mini wagon as it weaves in and out of traffic, while the conductor is constantly blowing smoke from a loaded cigarette into your face? And oh yes…home… I shifted back in with my parents 3 months back as I can’t afford to rent a place any more…

Naa Eraj… I certainly won’t get any favours from you or the population… And I don’t expect I ever will get any.

Interpret things as you see fit… One day you’ll feel the financial squeeze too… That’s pretty much guaranteed.

I’m sure you’ll have some snappy comeback answer… Frankly I don’t give a toss…

• Ahmed says:

Thats sounds like a pretty city boy complaning. Look at people around you who are traveling in buses and working hard to make ends meet. You chose medicine as your profession knowing the amount of hard work it takes. Also please stop this notion that only doctors work hard, there are countless professions that require more hard work and sacrifices.

You guys are just being arrogant because you all went into this profession for money – plain and simple..which is ok but dont make serving the nation an excuse…

if everyone started complaining and stopped working because they were under a financial squeeze then the world would stop. If jamadar of your area stops cleaning the dirty and over flowing pot holes because he works too hard and doesnt get paid enough, i wonder what will happen…

13. Dr. M says:

As doctors not just provide basic health services but also create the wealth of the country, they are justified to seek the passage of such laws and service structures as may be necessary to protect it in all their rights and privileges. Their rights to organize and bargain are fully protected under the constitution and international human rights. They are not fighting for a larger slice of the provincial pie-they are fighting for a larger pie, for the preservation of a public healthcare system and not for a privatized system where the common man would be left at the mercy of insurance companies and big capital. So the state must realize its responsibilities towards its people and not abdicate them. One should ask the questions, why doctors join CSS/PCS or why do they leave Pakistan to work abroad? Why and how do we get poor quality but expensive insecticides and medicines? Why and how do we get dozens of NGOs in the province with all sorts of health projects in the field, work that the public health system should be doing? What is wrong with our healthcare system?
    It is imperative that the Punjab government comes up with an honest policy on these core issues: (1.) Provision of a progressive service structure for doctors, nurses and paramedics; (2.) Designation of Department of Health as a ‘technical department’ and transfer of its management in the secretariat to senior doctors/public health professionals; and (3.) Abandon all ideas, concept papers, proposals or plans to privatize the healthcare system in the province.
    Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will – and it’s important that the ‘seth’ and ‘pharoah’ mindsets at the highest echelons of power now heed the clarion call!

14. Kashif says:

Impressive! how some people are blaming doctors for everything….First of all doctors are not God, people die in hospitals every day, the question you should be asking “are they dying due to lack of treatment or they died of natural cause?” But hold on, you don’t know how they died because you just sit behind the tv, works 9-5 in AC rooms while doctors work day & night just for the sake of patients and yet they get paid as little as clerk.
    A young doctor works atleast 90 hrs a week and is not allowed to practice privately and gets 40000 a month i.e. less than Rs100 for every hour but no promotions since there is no service structure. If CM Punjab stop wasting money on stupid projects like Laptops, Yellow Cab schemes, Danish schools, and do something good for the people, this wouldn’t have happened. But he choose to do his politics and runs a fake artificial camp in Minar-e-Pakistan. Punjab govt sacking doctors for not doing job, I would ask how about a resignation from CM himself when because of him thousands of people died because he didnt do much for Dengue virus ????

• Asim says:

well said.

• Saroosh says:

thankyou very much kashif. i am a doctor. and very thankful for ur support. it was very disappointing to see every1 turning against us the general public, govt and media. i hope more ppl think like this and support us…

• Ahmed says:

40K per month is a lot for a young doctor in a country like Pakistan. For more money you should have selected a different profession.

15. Asim says:

doctors have the right to protest as any other person in Pakistan has and if no other person is arrested even if they damage public property and cause millions of worth loss to public (also causing casualties sometimes). so doctors are the cream of our society and should be dealt with respectably. we should remember that these are the people who serve day in and day out without break, they are the people performing longest duty hours and they are the people who are called on duty even when they are enjoying a night’s sleep and they are the people who serve the humanity when some notorious group strikes with a “khud kush hamla”. so please don’t try to malign our saviours.their demands are very much needed and is not unnecessary. we love our doctors.

16. Waheed Akhtar Khan says:

The doctors of punjab are recieving hefty payments in return of their services. Besides that they run their private clinics, where they earn much more than their actually salary. How much more they want. Their aim is not to serve humanity but to earn more and more money. These so called Young Doctors have ulterior motives behind these routine strikes.

• Imtiaz ali says:

Dear Waheed, I am a doctor, graduated from PUNJAB, thanks God I ma not in Pakistan any more. Let me correct u. Hafty payments? Do think salary of 50000 or 60000 or 70000 is hefty? Please help me make budget of a doctor with two kids and a wife in 60000. Remember he has to pay fees of all workshops, exams, etc.
      Plus a PG trainee is not allowed to do pr`ivat

• usman says:

Dear Imtiaz sahib, Shahbaz shareef is not paying from his own pocket here.Its the public money the money we paid to government in taxes.How many people are earning 50000 here? majority people don’t earn even for their food needs.So who is more needy here, the person with 50000 income or the one with below 10000 most of the people.Now who is more deserving and has the right to demand from government.

• Imtiaz ali says:

Usman Bhai you are right. A poor country like Pakistan can not afford to pay doctors and teachers. But the same country can afford other hefty expenditures. I would request all doctors, especially young doctors of YDA who want to do specialisation to get their passports ready and come to the real world. I assure you, you will get more respect, better life, excellent salary package, security and safety. European society will give you the respect and honour that you can just dream in Pakistan.

• Usman says:

Kindly do you let me know, how many people in Pakistan are getting so much salary. I am with 18 years of education in Computer science, position and excellent grades, 5 years of experience, still getting less than you. Our working hours are more than yours almost 24 hours per day. We always have to develop new thing otherwise no pay. You people have cram few medicines names and symptoms and using them again and again (easy job) and getting more money.

I am married with one baby but alhumdulliah my budget is running very well because i am not greedy just like you.

• aaa says:

The problem unfortunately is that patients are suffering and that is the reason this has come up in media. The fact that these strikes came so late is amazing for me. Strike should have been there for more than 20 years ago. I personally was shocked when i started to work. I worked one year free in 2002 as there werent enough paid seats for house job.

1)Doctors profession cannot be compared to any other profession the working hours are more than any other job. Normal working hours for a doctor are 30 hours every 3rd day. Sundays are not off. This routine is something which is not present in most of the countries. The pay we are talking about is not for 8 to 3 job 6 days a week. The pay is for all the extra hours as well which is present in no other profession.

2)Every ward has upto 1/5 of its needed doctors appointed by govt. This means that in every ward there are only about 10 out of 50 doctors are govt. servants and responsible for patients health. Rest legally have no responsibility. If the doctors who are working unpaid stop working and they have a right to do this as they are not employed in any proper way the system collapses.

3)Shortage of nurses in every govt. hospital is compensated by doctors who are house officers many are unpaid. Dcotors do 40% doctor work and 60% nurses job. It is impossible for the few nurses to do everything in the ward.

• aaa says:

4)A doctor is constantly in education all his life due to new researches in treatments all the time. All the exam fees and training expenses are paid by doctor and fee of good exams can be upto 60 thousand which is not paid by anyone but is a requirement to continue.

5)A person who has worked 4 years in surgery cannot be replaced by someoneelse new(like the CM thinks)
            One with 4 years of training can do a number of operations and a new comer can do none. So replacement is impossible. Not only replacement but exchange is quite difficult an eye specialist cannot do a surgeons job. Nomatter how good he is. These thing most probably CM does not know.
            All this im writing to clarify what the problems of a doctor are thought still this situation should have been dealt in a better way on both sides.

• Ahtasham says:

Imtiaz: If you can not handle the budget then you have lack of accountancy because you are doctor. You need to see around your areas specially neighbor country India where Doctor are not treating like our Doctor. If you are abroad then me too but frustration and isolation eat every thing except humbleness and patience… You want to pass your life like a luxurious, not even luxury, that is why you can not make budget in this amount. See below who has less salary but they are happy.. :)

• Imtiaz ali says:

Dear, I must appreciate that you are happy with what you getting. May Allah give you more and keep you contained. I am getting 4500 Pounds a month as a trainee in Birmingham and after completion of my training my salary will be around 8000 Pounds. I want my son to study at Harvard Medical School ( yearly tution fees 75000 USD plus hostel and misc charges). May Allah Almighty help me to be financially capable to send him to Harvard Medical School. I am not greedy, but I think about my child`s better education.
          Besides, Come and look at services provided by NHS in UK. Its right of my brothers and sisters in Pakistan to get better health services too. Believe me, along with brains and professionalism (that Pakistan already has in form of doctors) financial injection is necessary if you want to get better health services. You are citizen of Pakistan paying taxes and you have to live their. Its your right to get better health services at Govt hospital. Go and visit any Govt hospital of your choice in Pak and compare it with your private sector or NHS in UK. Difference will be visible to you.

• Sohail Akhter says:

For your kind information NOT all doctors are running private clinics. The salary of doctor when compared to there duties i.e. 24 duties and other odd work hours is not enough. I would like to see Mr. Waheed Akhtar Khan work 24 hrs on Sats/Suns or other holidays. Before you make your pathetic arguments look at the reality. Health care is NOT a right its a privilege.

• Ali says:

Agree with Mr Imtiaz and Mr Sohail.

• Usman says:

Hello, go and meet someone in software industry. Here your 24 hours duty is too less and easy. You don’t have to develop everyday a new thing. You get so much money on doing the same thing again and again. Our software values goes down if that is already in market or we develop that before. Dead lines never allow us to go on leave. We never have something that is called as holiday. You people have easiest job in the world but you people portray that you know everything

Tell me how much change have come in medicine since last 100 years. But look at software industry, tool being used 5 years ago, are now outdated.

You people are too much greedy

• Dr shoaib says:

thanks for telling us that our job is easiest,n yep as u r 24/day on the job so ur family must b visiting u nt u,lets exchange….. as ours very easy u rocket scientist can understand it in hours if nt minutes or seconds ……… as for as opd strikes were concerned………in emergency there were desks for those who were coming to emergencies becoz of closed opds…….. bt you cant understand what is an opd n wats the difference coz its too easy……….. ur punjab police ur punjab govn can do this extremely easy job much better than us

17. HRI says:

I just want to say that every one has legal right to fight for his own self. These strikes of doctors are creating bad images of doctors in society.
    What is the fault of a patient which is dyeing on bed? Which is in awaiting for treatment. I have visited a lot of time in different hospitals but in Govt. hospitals young doctors didn’t care. When a patient relative call him they only said coming or wait.
    So doctors should also care full and honest with his duties.

18. usman says:

We are a nation where everyone is living just for himself.We are working and thinking just for our own interests and future.No one of us ever worry for others or for his country and people because we just love ourselves.We always criticize the others for the problem and never look into ourselves what we are doing.The problem of the solution is, we should start loving people, caring people and helping people.This is the Sunnah of our Prophet MUHAMMAD(peace be upon him) and Insha Allah Allah will help us and solve our all problems and needs.Thank you.

19. Imtiaz ali says:

I would like to request entire nation to see the governance in PUNJAB. Thanks God they are not ruling Pakistan. Otherwise, the whole Pakistan situation would have been like PUNJAB. Poor Governance, Poor Administration. Poor foresightedness. Poor tacling of emergency situation. Please Resign and let PPP take over PUNJAB and handle situation atleast better than PML N.

• Anonymous says:

Still people wouldn’t understand and will vote of Pml-n in upcoming elections

20. hira bughio says:

My crime !
    I studied hard while others were playing in school. I studied hard while others were enjoying college days. I studied the most tough education syllabus for 5 years and became a doctor. I work more than 90 hours a week to serve the diseased even at 3 am in the night while their relatives were sleeping peacefully. I go sleepless for days just to help the needy even on sundays, eid, christmas, summers and winters nonstop. i don’t care how my family is doing at home, all i care is how my patients are doing in the ward. I am the one you wish your son/daughter would be and the one you wish your daughter/son would marry. I only demanded a better system for my profession, and i’m straight away called a criminal and killer. I’m being arrested and violated by media. Yes i am the most educated and civilized criminal who only demands a system in this unlawful state. YES I AM A DOCTOR!

• usman says:

You are right whatever you said but at the end if you become criminal to get your right (on the cost of poor sick people) how can you claim to be educated or civilized? You are very much mistaken.If you would have studied and worked hard in the love of people, you will never jeopardize the people life just to get your right.But the reality is you chose this profession for a better future just for yourself.I am sorry what i said but that is the reality.

• Usman says:

I worked hard as well while others play and got 90% marks in metric/FSC but i choose Computer Science by choice and not medicines. I studies 4 years Bachelors and 2 years Master and got excellent grades and become good developer. I did more than 90 hours a week to get few thousand rupees. There was numerous days and night when i hadn’t left my desk except for natural call. I was sleepless for days and nights just do feel that i am doing something new. I didn’t care how my family is doing at home, all i care how my software is working and in which stage of development.

There is no system for software developers. You people are lucky that for doing the same thing again and again, you get more money. You just have to cram few medicines name that your medical rap gives you and you get highest pay. Companies exploit us but still we didn’t become greedy because we focus on our work and not on money.

Each time we have to develop new thing. Cram doesn’t work in our industry just like yours.

You are not the most educated. There is a life outside your field as well. There are other fields as well, much tougher than yours.

• salman says:

why do you complain then ?! your debate is about your field being the toughest….fine you have it . you win. your job is the toughst ! hows all your cry about the field related to the strike ?!

21. Akram says:

Those doctors who have have let several patients die by refusing to treat them should be dealt with iron hand. They are the murderers. Suffering humanity should not be left on the mercy of such inhumane people.

previously, the government of the Punjab had accepted most of their demand as a result of a strike and they are on strike again with new demands. If the government meets their demands today they will go on strike next year with even higher demands. This is simply blackmailing. The authorities concerned should not bent before such blackmail.

22. Dr Saif says:

Arrests and sacking will not work as we have seen already. Doctors demands need to be addressed wisely. I know doctors serving in the same Grade for more than 15years because of lack of service structure. This is a genuine demand. If the military, civil service and judiciary can have the service structure why not doctors. Stop arrests and start negotiating with doctors. Because these are the one to help the poor segment as we know that these politicians and higher ups do not need pakistani doctors for their treatment as they have enough budget available to go out for treatment even if they cross their 90’s.

• Ahtasham says:

So, It’s mean you let patient die and remove drip from innocent 2 years old baby hand. You should think about your responsibility which you did not take care and let poor and innocent die.

Yo are not doctor but you are looked criminal and all we nation hate your profession. This is not a way to take facilities from government to let people die…

• Asim says:

People don’t come out to demonstrate against the corrupt government actions and policies which are a major cause of thousands of people in drone attacks and self extinguishing blasts. so why put the knife on the doctor’s throat and not asking the top notch about their performance. please try to think objectively. and about the people dying because of doctors. there was no such incidental before the doctors were arrested and brutaly beaten up and in response emergencies of the hospitals closed and other doctors refused to serve in response. please don’t mislead people.

• Ahtasham says:

@Asim: There is FIR against doctor and witness as well so please accept your wrong decision of strike against Government and innocent poor people. Doctors play with poor people life and innocent kids. Is this way to protest in Civilized area? You doctors are educated and going to become a criminal. From your point of view a patient dead is like a medicine which is expired after completion date… Don’t treat us like medicine as you also have kids and families…

23. Raheel says:

It’s the responsibility of the Government to provide health care to the public in public hospitals and they have made contract with doctors to do that. If Government has failed to honour its contract then the doctors have the right to stop offering services.

However there is a moral dilemma here as services are provided by doctors to patients on behalf of government which involves human life. The private health care entity has the right to refuse service to patient who is unable to pay bills, and that is fairly acceptable to most people So when public sector doctors are demanding equal treatment like other state departments why there is so much noise? .
    By this logic there should be crack down on private hospitals that refuse to admit patient to hospital because patient can’t pay them.

If it’s not acceptable the government should categorically tell doctors that it can’t afford their services and they have the right to leave. Why forcing someone on contract terms which is not acceptable to them, because you happen to represent government?

24. Dr.Mehreen says:

Its such a shame at either end. Negating people s suffering should NOT be used as a weapon to win the deal. Rather there should be some other judicious way to resolve the sufferings of patients as well as doctors. Doctors indeed are in dire need of govt.s support, so is the entire health care system. Govt. should cut down unnecessary and imprudent spending.

Patients have died NOT because of DOCTORS nor from poor delivery of emergency. care but merely because of the negligence of corrupt leaders, who the patients and doctors elected to rule over them in exchange of just roti,kapra,makaan and now laptop. Now feel the music ~ unscrupulous acts on behalf of insane people so called leaders of the nations.

25. Asim says:

the demands of Young Doctors should be taken more seriously and government should try to deal with it through continuous dialogue rather then just sacking the doctors which will in return enrage them. so please bring some brain into this matter and try to solve it wisely.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement