Torrential rains in Karachi

Torrential rains in Karachi

Karachi is currently experiencing torrential rains for the past several hours.

What’s happening in your area? Do you have electricity? Are the phones still working? What are the conditions of roads and other infrastructure in your part of the city? Dawn.com invites its readers based in the city to share their experiences.

Photo by Hasaan Haider/Dawn.com

The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

73 Responses to “Torrential rains in Karachi”

1. Prof Ramesh C. Manghirmalani, Geneva says:

Karachi needed rains

2. Batada says:

I wish no big damage is done to any part of the country. People will be happy that now they will get some relaxation in Hot Summer due to the blessing rains. Aamen.

3. I. Ahmad says:

I am a Karachi resident presently overseas. I am concerned about my 80 year old mother and a 75 year old aunt who live in Karachi on the top floor of a house in PECHS. The roof is badly and profusely leaking, there is no person who can take care of them I cannot come back right now, they do not have electricity in their two room poor dwelling, with no money, one phase, theirs only, has been out now since Friday, the landlord refuses to do anything to call the KESC, he has electricity in his whole building except for these two poor helpless ladies. Their phone has been out of order since Friday I cannot get in touch with them. Really worried esp as they are extremely old and fragile, and helpless.

The two room place is extremely poor and the roof is in a very precarious condition, i do not think it can withstand much heavy rain. already the water is profusely leaking from the walls and the roof, as they live on the roof top of that building. I just want their electricity and phone line to be restored properly, so that they can see in the night and I can speak with them.

4. May Allah shower his blessings on all aspects of our lives.Oh Karachi how much beautiful you must have become with all the dust washed away by the rain. May Allah clean our hearts as well AMMEEN

5. Shaheryar Khalid says:

Rains the moment of immense joy and happiness for all after the record breaking temperature. But, unfortunately power conk out since the rain had been started from Saturday night and till the dusk of Sunday was extremely exorbitant. I would like to appreciate up to some extent the efforts of CDGK to siphon out the stagnated water from the roads, beneath the underpasses and overhead bridges, still they need to gather much more efforts to over come the problems due to intermittent downpour.

6. Saif Khan says:

Ive been living in Scotland for years now ….. I used to enjoy the beautiful rainy weather but Scotland has taken away this love from me …. in glasgow it rains EVERYDAY … I miss the Karachi heat, the rakshaw noise, the traffic, the pollution, the buses — specially Safari Coach … ooh I miss everything about Karachi except the rain.

7. Nadeem Ahmed says:

Its yet another proof that we are not only very strange people people but unique ones too. In a country, where electricity is in such a short supply, so many people die by electrocuting and we need atleast category one storm and torrential rains for romance, fun and long drives.

8. Nadeem says:

I live in Karachi University Campus……I know how cool, bright and pleasant looks the atmosphere after rain especially when you are at KU Campus…I am abroad now but missing my soil…..

9. AYYUB KHAN says:

You know what my little grand daughter Laiba came a while ago twinkle in her eyes, her mama is preparing halwa puri. Rains in Karachi and we are having barish ki soghaut in Canada. If is kay sath doadh patti hoti too aur maza aata. But I got dipki wali chey and talking same time with my daughter in Karachi. I am having fun you folk also enjoy, but don’t forget those in need.

10. jawaid says:

I live in orangi town, meantime job in UAE but extremely miss the rainy weather used to enjoy their running towards the hill near my house and take view the whole city upto mizar qaid, yaar missing out all past led there, God help our people living their, called 2 time today all is well and everything is okay.

11. Raja Salman says:

Hi guys
    i live in Steel Town
    what a romantic weather is here
    Alhamdulillah everything is ok especially light
    round the clock we were outside the home & enjoyed alot the whole day blessing.

12. Zuhiab Zaman Khuhro says:

I live in clifton block-2….Electricity is there since last 48 hours during heavy rains…K.e.s.c even forgets to shun the electricity in load shading hours.. :)

13. Shams says:

I lived in Korangi, Karachi from 1963 to 1981 and still have my Family there and visit Karachi every year.
    Now I live in New Jersey since 1995. I also miss rains in Karachi especially getting wet in the rain for hours.
    It’s been too long I soaked in rain water since left Karachi. We used to have rain for several days continuous in 1960s and 1970s.
    I Just spoke to my cousins and uncles over the phone (landlines) and most were working. I hope Cyclone just drop REHMAT KEE BAARISH” and nothing else (Aameen).

• T. Khan says:

Shams,

Rain water was the only running water you saw in Karachi. :) LOL.

Just kidding, I also miss getting wet during those Monsson Rains.

14. nasim says:

Once upon a time I used to live in Karachi and we used to enjoy the monsoon rain but sadly, that I am not there to observe this time seasonal rain and where I am right now, we too are having heavy /light rain for the past two days and its cool. One can’t really, enjoy the outdoors. Hope everyone is fine down there and pray that the weather die down smoothly.

• Fahim says:

It’s you Nasim, Good comments

Shukar Al Hamd – u – Lillah Phet didn’t touch Karachi Only Rahmat ki barish ho gai
      People enjoying there Shukar
      fahim.

15. AYYUB KHAN says:

Good to know some wise guys are having fun inspite of all tit bit of this and that. While outdoor be careful of electric lines .Enjoy your pakora and look no pepsi with it I miss my grand children. What about clifton cross? Swimming pool in tunnel??? Drive carefully.
    Edmonton,Canada.

16. Abid says:

I found through the news that Phet has struck Thatta.I hope no damage occurs anywhere in Karachi or any other locality. I watched a curve of rainbow in the evening skyline.It was magnificent.

17. Hasan Afaq Zaidi says:

I am a resident of Malir cantonment Karachi.
    Everything here is good alhamdulillah. electricity went out for four hours last night but since then everything great. telephones, tv cable, broadband everything fine Alhamdulillah
    I went out for a drive till airport, roads were clear no water pooled at the new link road that connects superhighway to Malir halt.
    The weathers just too beautiful too miss so enjoy everyone :D

18. Dr. syed Azfar Haider says:

I live in Jhangir road near gurumandar and now I am in Muscat For last two years and i am missing everything of Karachi specially rainy season we used to take out water from our house its all great yar miss you karachi and luv u.

19. Jamshed Nazar says:

despite all the warnings people of Karachi are in no mood of disturbing their weekend and besides what to do without any electricity

20. Faryal says:

I live in DHA and its the prettiest sight… yes,the rains have created havoc, with water dripping in through windows, doors and sky lights.. but the roads are not water logged as such (thank god) however, there is a shut down of electricity for the past 16 hours.. so thts bad..
    but the beautiful rainbow made everything worthwhile !
    may god bless us with this rain and cause no suffering to life or property anywhere.. ameen

21. AYYUB KHAN says:

Lived and enjoyed life in Karachi 60 yrs. Now in Canada I miss you O’Karachi. Heavy rains in a year or two so welcome. Regarding Storm, a Katrina or Cyclone never reach our lands, ask folks at Bhit Baba, they never moves from there modest dwellings. Its is all satellite and media. Enjoy fine weather even without electricity, BASSEN KEY PAKOREY aur AOLOO BHREY PARATHEY, don’t forget those in need of help.

• Sara says:

I can totally relate to your comment about besan kay pakoray and aaloo bharay parathay on a rainy day…and not to forget the garam garam fresh samosas!!! I was born and raised in Karachi but have been in Toronto, Canada since the last few years – where you can have no fun in the rain! :(

Your comment just revived all my memories of how much fun rainy days were over there…oh how much I miss being there! Us Karachi-ites never forget how to make the most of good weather!

Cheers!

• Fahad says:

Rushing life suddenly is put to halt feels good as long as it is once in a while and one is not facing any emergency situation. But in the city of over 125million with majority living in slums emergency is not an as rare event as one can imagine.

beyond delicacies, I think of those who yearn for dry clothes and cover leave alone food and water.

i find it hard to imagine people forgetting massive suffering of huge population living next to their posh neighborhoods!

• FNW says:

I love your comment! a patriot , a different one thought you are haha :)
      I am eating pakoras, finger fish and samosas .. and yes electricity even cannot ruin my joy at the pleasant weather and the beautiful and clear rainbow that I saw today :)

22. Ameen Osman says:

Well having lived the past four years in Karachi, I really miss the rain and disruption in normal life.

23. Harris Joseph says:

I live in Nursery Block 6 P.E.C.H.S. i am working in KSA call my home Heavy Rain 150 mm of rain was recorded at the PAF Masroor base, 150 mm at Faisal base, 100 mm at Karachi airport and 20 mm in Katibandar.
    The Latest update from Dawn i was reading :-
    The storm, about 70 km away from Karachi, would smash into the Sindh coastal areas with a pace of 100 km/h. Hope that every things goes well………..

24. imran says:

I only hope we escape from it with minimum damage cause its going to be ugly as they are forecasting…..

25. hamid baloch says:

I hope all is well. I live in Chicago but I miss DHA Karachi. Karachi is beautiful after rains.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement