Sufism under attack?

Sufism under attack?

Dawn.com invites its readers to debate current topics on this forum.

Sufi Islam has recently been coming under attack across the country. A number of shrine caretakers in Sindh have been mysteriously murdered. Last week, in Buner, Taliban militants locked down Pir Baba’s shrine and continue to guard its entrance. Last month, Sufi mystic Rehman Baba’s shrine in the outskirts of Peshawar was bombed by militants.

What explains these assaults on the symbols and practitioners of Sufi Islam? Do the militants view Sufism’s continued popularity as a threat? And do you think that it can be effectively used to counter the increasing popularity of hardline Salafi Islam?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

147 Responses to “Sufism under attack?”

1. indian says:

This is to Naim Naqvi,
    i dont know who is khwaja Ajmeri, but if it referes to Khawaja moinuddin Chisti, Ajmer, then I think you are wrong.
    I have heard from the few people that at the time of Partition, as a reaction to Partition violance few people had planned to destroy it, but all the person be it Hindu or muslim of Ajmer opposed it because kwaja is loved and respected by all, and there after none of any group ever try to destroy it or talk ill of it. The bomb explosion was an spordic incidence, of the miscreant who keep on attempting to create rift between the community , but always fail.
    It will be interesting to note that MEERA, a Sufi Hindu, Krishna devotee had her name from renowned Sufi Meer sahib. I have no doubt that Sufism and Bhakti movement are basically Indian Concept of the peaceful coexistance and represent real spirit of this subcontinent. Isalm minus sufusm had never been peaceful religion.

2. Observer says:

I am outside Pakistan, looking in through the interesting comments here. Fascinating.

And what will you do about it?

Or do I have to wait for reports secretly filmed and smuggled out that you were executed in the nearest stadium while the bearded “purifiers” looked on in approval?

I fear for Pakistan.

3. atif says:

There is no place for shirk and Bidaah, and some people are committing sarih “Shirk” the way the use these shrines. However for these acts the people are responsible not the Saints.

Hazrat umar RaziAllah Taala Anhu, ordered to remove the signs of Hazrat Danial Allaih Salam, just because of the reason that people start doing the shirk practices their.

The last concern of rasool Illah Sallalaho alaih Wassallam was more or less that my Ummah wil follow the practices of jews and christians, making the graves their masajid. Millions of proofs but we dont discuss much as these twos are more then enough.

Coming to the taliban, no one is allowed to bomb or bulldoze the graves especillay these saints, obviously we are not the authority to check the credentials of sufis. Leave it to Allah Izzo jall he is the right decision makers.

Wallah ilm be sawab.
    RGDS

4. ajtr says:

Today we Pakistanis are lost in the maze of kufr.where ever u raise ur eyes in pakistan u see kufr happening.Pakistan was found as Islamic for muslims.even pakistani constitution says its a islamic state of pakistan.In 60 yrs we as muslims of islamic state have gone astray from our path ie islam.Today wat we need to weed out all kufr from pakistan is more of islam.and mashallah taliban are doing ALLAH’s job of weeding out kufr from pakistan.Job is not easy but we will get there someday.there will be qurbani .and pakistanis sshould not shy away from giving qurbani.Praise ALLAH and dua karo ke taliban jald hi pakistan se saara kufr nikaal de.

• tushar says:

@ajtr….
      Wow man!!..What pure thoughts you have!! No wonder Islam is called the ‘religion of peace!!’ A few more like you is what Islam needs!! And then there will no longer be doubts and misunderstanding that others have regarding Islam!

5. AsSalamoAlaikum Brothers and Sisters,

The behaviour of talibaan to the Muslm Saints and their peacefull teachings is not less than a catastrophic event for the Muslim UMMAH of Pakistan and around the world. The one and only source of gaining peacefull impacts globally around the world is to adapt the peacefull tachings of Muslim Saints like Hazrat Sakhi sultan Bahu (RA) who has given the concept of Humanity not encapsulates the interpretation of ISLAM within a single community instead disseminate the love of humanity and the oneness of Almighty existance inside every human being. Hazrat Sakhi Sultan Bahu (RA) declared that the one who seek the Almighty GOD from the core of his/her heart will definately gain the Lord’s secret from him irrespective of any religion, race, locality & Belief.
    Best Regards,
    Adeel Imtiaz
    adeelpreston@hotmail.com

6. Ram says:

The best example is this forum.
    This clearly shows how openmindedness and universal thoughts can bring people of different faiths and beliefs together. I have not read even a single mail that opposes the idea. Thats what united people of pre-partition India, it was never the religion it was the space provided to each one to be whatever they believed in.

I love everybody who has participated in this forum and I wish people keep talking to each other like this forever.

7. Naim Naqvi says:

In my opinion, the philosophy of tolerance preached by deep rooted Sufi traditions is the best way, if not the only way, left for Muslims to fight the battle against the darkness of fanaticism that is prevalent all over the Islamic world. The founder of Pakistan had a dream of a secular state and not the dogmatic irrational theocracy practiced by Taleban. This menace is spreading its tentacles from tribal areas of N.W.F.P to the plains of Punjab. Who is responsible for that ? I think Muslims all over the world are suffering from intellectual vacuum and this lacuna is being filled by the ferociously rabid brand of Islam. Sufism is the antivenin against the destructive literalism and its spiritual and ethical bankruptcy. Sufism is a road to recovery – a pious reclamation of soul. Even in my country, India, these fundamentalists are trying to undermine the Sufi culture. They had attacked the shrine of Khwaja Ajmeri to dissuade the people from visiting and paying their respect.

8. Friend of Man says:

I live among Pakistanis who have fled Pakistan for reasons that now seem trivial compared to living under the Taliban threat ….as made by previous posts, the world wonders why Pakistan seems incapable of living under democratic rule, incapable of protecting those who desire to live in peace.

These Pakistanis are doing very well among us of all faiths, their businesses are thriving, their careers and professional standing is equal to or in many situations exceeds to the highest levels among their peers…. their children are among the brightest in our schools. Such a pity… all the while their homeland is being destroyed by an amalgamation of fanatical zealots and corrupt public servants.

Let us hope Pakistan finds a leader that leads instead of making excuses….that would truly be divine intervention….

9. Larry Stout says:

Civilization is a thin veneer, readily shed under the right conditions, even by people of some “enlightenment”. Gandhi’s “ahimsa” was besplattered with Muslim, Hindu, and Sikh blood. In my opinion, the Taliban and others of their ilk are truly antithetical to any concept of civilization:they have a Medieval outlook cloaked in a sham piety. The “Land of the Pure” has some notable — and life-threatening — impurities.

10. Kamran says:

It is pitty whatever is going on.

I think the poem by Mansoor in this Forum says it all … and very well (quoted below again)

The False Taliban
    ———————————–

What pious people they seem to be
    Keeping their daily prayer for all to see

Men with beards and often wearing trainers
    Their women in tent like gowns hidden from strangers

They cry and preach with distorted knowledge
    Reciting holly words like over cooked porridge

Without any understanding of what they read
    Yet their actions justified as command and need

They take the orphan and abandoned children to shelter
    To condition their minds with false ideological lecture

Teaching these children with weaponry skills to harness
    Not for self-defence just for pure malice

But their worst is yet to come of such abomination
    When they strap these children with explosives and ammunition

They are now honoured as suicidal Jihadists
    The ignorant press label them as Islamic fundamentalist

They could not be any further from truth and this laze
    Islam is a proclamation of peace and grace

Their just measure they have earned from their ill action
    From creating chaos havoc and anti Islamic reaction

There false promising of the highest heaven to ever dwell
    In reality it is the worst deepest and darkest Hell

————————–

Thanks Mansoor for the lovely poem

11. Faisal Rafi says:

I wonder what the Sufi Saints who came from central Asia and passed through the Afghan and NWFP region converting thousands to Islam would think right now. That the favor that they so selflessly bestowed in the form of this religion of freedom and love has been mutilated into a neo tribal concoction of violence and subjugation.

And all this while the majority of Muslims, who certainly know better, quietly watch.

No matter what may go on in shrines I am sure it does not warrant the taking of human life and the law into ones own hands, and any person who advocates it, supports it or fails to understand and speak out against it should have a much closer look at what their own beliefs are, because they would certainly not be Islamic.

12. Naved Haider says:

There is no doubt that some mal-practices are going on, in some shrines. Illiterate people are need to be guided to avoid that.
    But Cruel taliban has one solution to whatever in not in line with their understanding of religion, that is, to kill ruthlessly and to destroy badly.
    Taliban and their advocates are enemy of peace and co-Resistance.
    May God save our country (all shrines also) from taliban, the merchant of demolition and destruction.

13. indian says:

I am not being able to appreciate why they are not being able to visualize that Life is apart of evolution and it is continuous synthesis of ideas that humanity has reached to this stage. Statues, art religion, song culture science all are continuously adding and growing the reach of humainity and all right thinking people are trying to ensure that these development are used for human benefits and human dignity and not otherwise.

However for the Taliban, everything is seen from the different perspective, it is tried on the different derivative and subjective logics of the Quoran and implementation accordingly, Flogging of woman folks, Zaziya, destruction of Buddha structure, ban on movies, song or education to woman folksBurqa, Hizab, movement of woma and jihad, all fall into the same category. I heard that even Photography and banking systems are unislamic.I wonder How life is possible without Photography. however even extremists are silent about it. Fact is , it is all struggle for power. More is the confusion, better are chances to mobilise the support of the masses to particular way of thinking, and command the Power. The visual portraying of barbaric and human methodolgy has given opportunity to the masses to see the reality. Though it has jolted most of them but they are still not prepared to give up the falsehood , they had lived with somany years of their existance. Hence is continous denial of reality. Wake up man, we all are humans, lets use the modern development for human dignity and welfare, instead of imposing barbaric, inhuman form of social code on to all humanity. If we dont rise, we are destined to doom in this world.

14. Jalai Watan Koshur says:

If following God’s shown moral path requires mortals with animal instincts (but holding weapons born out of western technology) to punish offenders in this manner then some mortals of present time are interpreting the God’s message as given out by Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) with mischievous motives.

God is the most compassionate, benevolent, merciful and yet powerful. Will Almighty ask these barbarians to act on his behalf.

You may visit the link bearing this sad news

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/pakistan/nwfp/video-shows-killing-of-man-and-woman-i-bi

15. s.a.chughtai says:

My fellow countrymen: Sufi brings peace, harmony and happiness for the human beings. It revolts against rituals, customs and traditions, it teaches you co-existence.

It teaches you dignity of human beings and as it was preached by the Holy Prophet, PBUH.

It connects your mind and soul with the creator.

Sufi believes that rituals, customs and traditions of the past be eliminated and every new era should be seen as a time which will accelerate you further in this world.

Creator of creations give powers and delegates to the creations to go on and on,

Read Iqbal and Rumi…Go through and understand the ground realities of religion.

I have much more to say, if someone is interested we can enter into this arena to understand tasawuf, tasawuf begins when man has no more questions, it connects you with the cosmos. Think about it . No discussions without reading and studying it thoroughly.

16. Khobar, London says:

Islam is Islam and I do not understand where from Sufi Islam has come from. Quran is complete code of life. Those who are known as Sufis have preached and spread Islam in central and south Asia. Their focus was in the unity of Allah and last prophet Muhammed SAW and holy book Quran.

17. Mansoor says:

The False Taliban

What pious people they seem to be
    Keeping their daily prayer for all to see

Men with beards and often wearing trainers
    Their women in tent like gowns hidden from strangers

They cry and preach with distorted knowledge
    Reciting holly words like over cooked porridge

Without any understanding of what they read
    Yet their actions justified as command and need

They take the orphan and abandoned children to shelter
    To condition their minds with false ideological lecture

Teaching these children with weaponry skills to harness
    Not for self-defence just for pure malice

But their worst is yet to come of such abomination
    When they strap these children with explosives and ammunition

They are now honoured as suicidal Jihadists
    The ignorant press label them as Islamic fundamentalist

They could not be any further from truth and this laze
    Islam is a proclamation of peace and grace

Their just measure they have earned from their ill action
    From creating chaos havoc and anti Islamic reaction

There false promising of the highest heaven to ever dwell
    In reality it is the worst deepest and darkest Hell

18. iqbal says:

Islam is under attack in Pakistan let alone sufism.Day is nor far when these sick talaban would be ruling the country with their twisted version of Islam.

19. Saf says:

Its a shame the Taliban have now targeted the Sufi shrines

BUT….

Have you considered that the militants may dare to attack our Quaid-e-Azam’s Mazar…don’t say never..

20. Saf says:

To Atique Raza Khan on April 17th, 2009 at 11:50 am

“It is still a controversial issue as taliban has repeatedly denied their involvement in most of the bomb blasts in religious places.”

Dude, what papers are you reading? Please don’t tell me people are still in denial. Following is one link showing claim taken by Taliban attacking a religious place and worshipers. As for the Sufi shrine…the evidence adds up…the pamphlets, the warnings, the shrine occupations and shutdowns, harassment of women and walking about with weapons, etc.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/pakistani-militants-bomb-mosque-1.1644528

21. Saf says:

Guys,

The stupidity and compromise of principals started when people decided to list the Qadiyanis as Kafirs, who were no threat to the majority Sunni Muslim groups or Shia groups or any other Pakistani. In fact many are still die hard patriots, yet discriminated.

I don’t believe in their beliefs, but why on earth would you state ‘religion’ in your passport and declare that ‘I don’t believe in Qadiyanis’?!

It seems we are the only country to do that.

http://www.onpedia.com/encyclopedia/Passport

All this has led to a ripple effect. Then came hunting the Christians and Hindus. Then the Shia Muslims. Now the Sufists. Pretty soon whatever moderate Sunni Muslims will be left, if not swayed by Salafists.

Once you compromise on marginalizing a minority, there’s a snowball effect.

Shame on us not recognizing Abdus-Salam’s achievements. If Allama Iqbal was alive today, what do u think the extremists would have done to him considering his short time admiration of the Qadiyanis?

22. Naveed Lotia says:

I am shocked and dismayed at the events fast unfolding in Pakistan. This problem has been developing for a long time and the root of the problem has to do with the history of the state trying to regulate religion and public morality.

I have a problem with people who think that only they know the ‘truth’. We can blame the Taliban all we want but the truth of the matter is that the moment someone tries to define and then regulate the behavior of others regarding religious matters, the problem begins. This is exactly what has happened to Pakistan.

If some people wish to go to Sufi shrines, then that is their business. Everyone should mind their own business regarding religion. We should practice what the Quran preaches; that “There can be no compulsion in matters of faith”.

23. Rehman says:

Faqir Janan chun says:
    they adopt the path of WRONG left the path of TRUTH, MULAN as well as ZAKIR’s have perplexed people. Sufi discover the path of truth so how it can be under attack, truth always remain bright.

Sufism is not under attack but the shrines of Sufi saints under seige.

Sufi preach love, peace and justices which can siege someone else in its web rather destroyed by someone else.

Sufism is not a sect which belongs to any particular group, It doesn’t believe in clan, cast, tribe, linguistic as well as in boundries.

As shah Abdul Latif:
    “Help and assist those who hate them”

Theologist really have feared that sufism(through their preach,and slogan) can replace their redimates.

24. Atique Raza Khan says:

Hi all
    I am not against sufism but the way less knowledgeable people have made these shrines as sources of salvation and the blind faith on what these sufis’ can do for them is in my view strictly against our religious code. Besides, it is hard to tell who specifically are involved in these bomb blasts. It is still a controversial issue as taliban has repeatedly denied their involvement in most of the bomb blasts in religious places.

25. Usama Saleem says:

Sufism is nothing to do with shrines…..graves….peers….majawars or gaddi nasheens
    It’s about a spirit of preaching love….faith…..peace…..harmony and finding the Truth within one’s self. Now days people have associated Sufism only with going to the graves and pray there without doing any good deeds. Erroneous customs have been built up by the care takers of the shrines in the interior parts of Punjab and Sindh for the sake of their own interests.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement