Karachi violence: What have you seen?

Karachi violence: What have you seen?

On Wednesday, at least 25 people were killed and 40 injured while 20 vehicles were torched in different parts of Karachi. Trouble began in North Karachi when armed men opened fire on Zarina Colony, leading to an alteraction with Rangers personnel. Incidents also occured in Surjani Town, New Karachi Industrial Area, Khawaja Ajmair Nagri, Landhi and Malir.

Do you live in any of the affected areas? Did you witness the clashes? What is the situation in the affected areas on Thursday? Is tension prevailing or is there a modicum of calm in the wake of MQM chief Altaf Hussain’s appeal for peace? Share your stories with Dawn.com.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

103 Responses to “Karachi violence: What have you seen?”

1. Kunwar Mohammad Aqeel javed says:

Well, incidents in karachi will continue unless and untill, the ethnic devide is present in karachi and those creating that divide continue gaining pride for that. Karachi is the comercial hub of pakistan because all punjaabis, Pukhtoons, sindhis, balouchis, saraikis, Mohajirs do their trade through it, if you announced that this city is only for mohajirs, and provide any other port for trade to all other ethnics, this city will no longer be a commercial hub and mini pakistan. The strength lies with unity and to be as pakistani, the longer the sthnic divide continues and karachicites think of other people as benefisheries of karachi, the longer the problem continues.
    Pakistan is for everyone, same as for karachi Islamabad and Lahore and all other major cities, Political parties that creating differences in ethnics if gain support, the results would be same. take mu words, as long as Karachi remains racist, the problem continues, and not only karachi wherever ethnics play part in normal life, place get violent.
    Solution lies in the hands of Karachicites not in the hands of Pukhtoons, Punjaabis, sindhis or MQM and taliban….

May Allah give us understanding of what is right….

2. Ali says:

I believe identity card system should be introduced based on residence status in the vicinity people live in. Therefore, people who really truly deserve to be in karachi are the only ones who reside here. Rest should improve the status of the areas they belong to.
    This will give equal share of development to all parts of the country.

3. Kara Swart says:

Well people tend to kill each other when the size of the economic cake shrinks. If they are of different religions, they fight in the name of religion. If they are of the same religion, they fight in the name of race. If they are of the same religion and race then they fight in the name of class. The key is good governance and economic opportunity. Religion, race etc. cannot form a basis for good governance. Frankly from what I have seen an absence of religion leads to good governance rather than the other way around. Why? Because it takes away a stick with which you can beat people. I have yet to see a progressive country which is also religious.External threats? Of course. Once a place is messed up, it is sure to be exploited.

One last point. Two countries were formed to serve as a ‘homeland for a religious group.’ Their formation led to exodus of people from their ancestral homes and caused much suffering. Both countries- Israel and Pakistan- have had no peace since their formation. Why? Maybe because religion is not a good reason to found a country??

4. Zain uddin sherani says:

It is shocking to learn that majority of killed and injured were Pathans. Is this being done to not let new refugees settle in Karachi? After losing their homes in FATA, these unfortunate Pathans have been settling in rest of the Pakistan including Karachi but some elements want to discourage these people from settling in Karachi. It is shame to see and read these events. It is the job of Sindh government to protect every Pakistani citizen who lives or visit Karachi regardless of ethnicity.

5. Karachi Lover says:

Asalam-o-alakum;

First of all I like to let everyone know that I was born and raised in Karachi. Karachi mean everything to me, since my family live there, my family mean (whole muslim brother and sisters living in karachi). But I start to fear living in karachi since 1984. Because the environment change. Few ppl for their on sack started triggering ppls feeling that they are not what they should be and start giving all a wrong hope for a better life. Today my fear is a reality. Those ppl who showed hope to us poor folks are sitting outside the country with everything around them except peace in their mind. But my ppl in karachi is getting killed each and every time and paying the price of what we dreamed.

We ppl of karachi are so stupid that even today we don’t open our eyes and see what really happening to us. We are afraid to say the right thing openly bc we are scared to be killed. But silly folk think we are dying anyway might as well die for something that our next genration will be proud of us.

We know the saying, that ppls will get the leader based on their own way of living. What we are harvasting today that what we will cultivate tomorrow. Please, ppl of karachi wake up now and see who is your friend and who is your enamies. Don’t trust those why were created by some rulers to keep their seat. Follow what your deen says. Killing one human is like killing the whole genration. We know all (atleast we act like) we do hear all but then why in this world we do not act.

I demand that all leaders who live aboard come back to karachi and face their crimes. Justice needs to be prevail. If you can’t then you have no right to call yourself a pakistani. Come suffer with us and then you will know what we go thru each day and night.

I went to school and college there in karachi so I know what culture this so called political party have. They are getting us from our root and turning us in worst muslim and turning our heart like rock. FEAR ALLAH ST who is the best judge.

6. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Dear Ali Hussain from India
    My dear proud indian brother, I am proud of you, because at least you are the one who is really worried about general state of well being of Pakistani women and the villagers and the economy etc.
    I invite you to give me some sincere suggestions for the general improvement desired by you.
    I do have one question though, what makes you think that I blame India?
    I love Indians from the bottom of my heart, But, tell me why does India stop river water from flowing to Pakistan.
    I tell you why, so that Pakistan’s agriculture fails resulting in more poverty and hunger for the beautiful muslim land.
    Please come to Pakistan and take a good look, trust me you will find our women completely liberal and we don’t have any problem with that.
    Don’t mix pathan culture with the rest of our country
    Pakistan zinda baad.

Tell your government to be friends with Pakistan in the ‘real’ sense.
    Have a good day.
    Take care my brother.

Regards,
    Tariq
    (very friendly in nature in deed)

7. khobar (London) says:

The leadership of our nation is going to meet the head of a prominant ethnic party from Karachi. What is going to be the result of 4 hour session between the them? The most likely thing would be as

1. Release of all who have been captured red handed and belong to this most peaceful ‘political’ organisation.

2. Suspend IG Sindh, CCPO and possibly DG Rangers. Their crime? They told the truth to the PM when he visited Karachi recently.

3. More concessions to the workers of the leader of this party.

The most worrying thing is that this party has announced to oberve strike on 12th May. This is bound to heighten the tension and another carnage may ensue.

Imran Khan must revive his case against the leader of this party so that world comes to know the truth.

8. Ali Hussain says:

Tariq Mian, Canada is very critical about comments made by others and thinks it is handy work of India or some other random enemy in every wrong situation pakistan is caught up with.

Dear Tariq, if a enemy wants to really destabilise your country then how long it would have taken that enemy post 1971 war to do so. We Muslims from India are sympathetic towards wta is happening with our brothers across border, however enemy understand that enemy is within you.
    Answer my questions:
    1) What welfare is being done for poor in last 60 years by a nuclear armed state.
    2) What liberation do women have
    3) What is state of rural economy and what land rights do poor have
    4) Is there any upliftment done for villagers or poor in your country.
    5) Also why is it that there are Muslim Indian Business man in Forbes 500 list and muslim from no other country?
    6) Future of countries neighbouring either side of pakistan is that they might linger with poverty and underdevelopment for some time but eventually ceom out and be modern nation representing views across every segment of society, however pakistan will continue to find purity of Islam through interpretations done by various mullahs.
    Perhaps the Pakistani political set up is bankcrupt!!

9. saeed says:

well,
    first of all i would like to ask everyone living in karachi. Do we have any other home in interior sindh, or in punjab, and or in NWFP. no, atleast i dont have home in any other palce except karachi. everyone knows what happend on december 27,2007 when benazir was asassinated in pindi and karachi was devasatated, more than 100 working women were raped and killed by riots. so karachi people why you people are closing your eyes so please awake yourself and save our city.

10. KC says:

Karachi is the most diverse City in the nation. I used to hear all good things about Karachi when the City was ruled and managed under British Raj. Since we got freedom, Karachi has become a city of violence, robberies and killing fields. Crime is increasing and I am surprised to read that there were 1,400 murders in Karachi, last year. What happened to the city? Is it because the rulers are unable, unwilling or incapable of controlling violence in the city? Or is it a curse of freedom that brought with it the freedom to kill and rob at free will? I am positive most of the residents love to live in peace but the Government of Sindh is busy banning the entry to the city to Pakistani Citizens. What will we expect from this kind of government? Wake up now and bring peace back to the City.

11. Nadeem says:

Living in the US for past decade, I’m once again sad and sorry about Pakistan. No, I’m not from Karachi, but I do feel the pain. Having worked with Indians, Chinese, Americans, Brits and you name it who else for over 16 years, the most stupid nation I have witnessed is ours. Everyone on the road is a gangster and likes to talk and act like one and takes pride in it.
    There is not much to do all day as we hate to work, so why not some thrill?
    Educated idiots – yes well educated idiots are in abudance – ready to be used by a motive given to them and guns in their hands.
    The haterred is rooted in the colleges and universaties and a nation divided in ethnic and racial groups. Do you ever think how a country of 52 states manages to live with each other without chopping each others’ heads off and why a country smaller than its one state cannot? One word – TOLERANCE!

12. Naved Haider says:

Jalal,

Before talking about disarming whole Karachi, to begin with you disarm the community who openly keeps arms and consider it as their ornament. First you give full security to Karachi and then suggest to disarm it. I believe, giving such type of suggestions are easy, but practically it is very difficult.

Furthermore, it would be advisable to control the source of all arms and terrorism, which is the tribal areas of Pakistan.

Kindly note, urdu speaking community is identified by word Muhajirs by other people living here, at the time of migration. Its just an identification like people names, it does not mean they are here temporarily. Kindly, remove your mis-understandings about Karachi people.

I believe, for good and peaceful environment of Karachi, every Karachiite, no matter, he is Pathan, punjabi or urdu speaking must contibute to the peaceful environment & consider Karachi as his own City.

13. S.M Omair Saeed says:

I think all parties are to be blamed for this. PPP, MQM and the ANP. The pashtuns can go back to Peshawar the sindhis can go back to Larkana but the ppl of Karachi have no place to go. So please let us live in peace and they should go and solve their problems in their own cities rather than fix Karachi up. The MQM is a reality and it is better that all different ethnic groups accept this. I am not at all a supporter of the MQM but after living in Karachi have come to this conclusion that all ethnic groups should respect each other.

And although I like Imran Khan I would suggest to him that please do not bank his votes by increasing hatred against some ethnic party.

14. Ashok says:

When i see violence in Karachi,where young men running around terrorizing and robbing innocent, helpless, defenseless women, children and elderly people, it reminds me of sea pirates of the coast of somalia. The similarities are abundant between both as you see frail and weak people feeling strong and in control of their destiny as they have an AK-47 or sub machine gun. In both cases people who are hopeless and helpless taking up the gun culture after their governments have failed to address their concerns. Karachi today has become a hub of those who are lawless, unsociable and armed. It is nothing less then a revolution can change their mind set and government will have to put this fire out in a hurry before it burns down the fiber of pakistani independence.

15. Shoaib Ghori says:

I am seeing the destruction of my birth city again. No one wants to own it, they want to use it, abuse it and walk away from it. Theory of Nation hood based on religion alone is not working. New ideologies based grand human values, justice and fairness economic cooperation and mutual interest has to be brought in. Religion is your personal matter, People need to get involved, Do not think others with their own narrow interest will look after yours interest. Democracy is a system of continuous participation in the process by the people, it just does not end after the election day,

16. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

The dominant political party of karachi is to blame for the spread of gun violence in Karachi. The local relevant authorities must take effective measures to take full control of the affected areas in order to curb the nefarious activities.
    The criminal intent must be sensed before any law and order crisis actually occures.

17. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

1. Rishi says:
    May 1st, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Do you think this is also engineered by foreign hand?
    I am amazed at the intellectual bankruptcy of some of the bloggers.
    —————————————
    Hi Rishi,
    Please! don’t be sarcastic
    You have to get to the bottom of it in order to find out exactly as to what actually caused the ongoing security problem in Pakistan.
    The intelligentsia can only point out/present certain facts & analysis based on observation, past experience, as well as the specific pattern.
    So please! Don’t be amazed at the intellectual bankruptcy of some bloggers.
    Everyone has a right to an independent opinion.
    And, as long as the opinion is based on a sincere analysis, it must be given weight with due respect.
    Thanks.

18. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Talha,
    I agree with you about the fear factor created in Karachi. The federation must take that in to account, and nail the culprits.

19. Jalal R says:

Every citizen of Karachi must disarm and hand over his weapons to the police authority and that would include MQM members. There must not be double standards in implementing decommissioning of arms.

Karachi walas must also stop calling themselves “Muhajirs” when they are born in Pakistan. This attitude and irrelevant attitude of MQM followers has caused bad feelings amongst many people in Karachi.

Let us all live in peace and harmony in Karachi as Pakistanis.

20. Asad says:

“We are united pakistanis”,”We are a moderate country”, “We have no racial,caste and ethnic discrimination”. Can we say these statements loudly and proudly? And the answer is big “NO”. We are standing in the middle of nowhere our country is clearly down and out. There is no room for complaining and blaming each other it’s the time to put aside our differences and unite together to sing the song of peace,equality and modality.

21. Raja says:

Tanvir Ahmed Qadri said:

“atleast here in India we fight with the Hindus and not among the Muslims”

22. mansoor says:

My dear fellow countrymen,

We should try to learn from our mistakes and misunderstanding that has been fed to us for several years.
    It’s time, we start thinking like independant people. Like anyone in this world, we are responsible for our own actions individually or collectively. No one can do harm us more than ourseleves. Hence let’s stop blaming others for our miseries.
    We have done this finger pointing for a longtime and our politicians, army, religious leaders have all used this weakness to their advantage. We live in squalor.We know very well it’s a lie, when our leaders tell us of the great sacrifices they do for us. Yet when these same leaders talk us into creating a utopian world for others like clensing the immoral west or supporting Afgans or moral support to Kashmir struggle, we are ready to believe this. Isn’t strange, that we believe in the same leaders who have robbed us of our own dignity can convince us they care for our brethren in other countries. Our collective wisdom is at it’s lowest point in comparison with the rest of the world.
    Look at the progress other countries have made in the last 10 years and compare it with Pakistan. It’s time we learn from others, than trying to preach others on how to live.
    Yes, I love Pakistan. Am I proud to be a Pakistani today? Not really. I really hope in this lifetime, that I can once again proudly say i am from Pakistan.

23. Farhat says:

for Karach stabilty is the worth for all Pakistan there is no languge base defrance now in the time every one who in the karach he have to think that ist over home and we have to protect home land from those doing such thing are not Pakistani
    thanks and pry for all PAkistan

24. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Tanvir Ahmed Qadri Sahib,
    Sir! you deserved to be congratulated that you are quite safe in India, but what if the same problem crosses over to your country?
    If this epidemic becomes a pandemic in the region then, I think ‘nobody remains immune’.
    Qadri bhai sahib I invite you to join hands with the friends of Pakistan to stop this menace once for all.
    The creation of Pakistan is something that all the Muslims should be proud of because it’s like a home where we feel homely.
    Now the question is, ‘who would desire to destabilize our home?’
    Very simple answer —-
    the enemies of Pakistan.
    Do you agree?

25. Tanya Daud says:

The press can get away with criticising the President of the country but not a certain political party and its terror inducing acts. However, if institutions such as these cannot step up and face them, then hope that the common will speak up is little.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement