Thirst for revenge

Thirst for revenge

Dawn.com invites readers to debate current affairs in this forum.

The recently released khateeb of Islamabad’s Lal Masjid Maulana Abdul Aziz has said that the situation that has emerged in the troubled areas of Swat, Buner and Dir is a reaction to the military operation conducted against the mosque in 2007. He claimed that most of the students of Lal Masjid who suffered due to the operation hailed from Malakand division of the Frontier province and were now taking their revenge. ‘I had warned the then government not to go for the military operation on the mosque otherwise the situation would get out of control and I will not be responsible for the reaction,’ said Maulana Aziz in an interview with Dawn.

In light of Maulana Aziz’s comments, do you think military operations in Buner and Dir are inadvisable? Will initiatives by security forces simply create a new army of revenge seekers? How can army operations be conducted so as not to have a negative fallout in the future? Or what other options should the Pakistan government consider in the northern and tribal areas?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

128 Responses to “Thirst for revenge”

1. Mohammed Abbas Sukhera- Chicago says:

The topic of this Forum “Thirst for Revenge” is biased, misleading and inflammatory. Maulana Abdul Aziz never mentioned in his interviews or speeches that he will seek revenge for the Lal Masjid military operation. He left it to Allah for the justice. He advised the military dictator Musharraf that any military operation against the Masjid occupants will have a negative repercussions but Musharraf was too intoxicated to listen to a voice of reason. Now we know Maulana was right in his warnings.

2. Naved Haider says:

By giving objectionable remarks, Abdul Aziz wants to contribute his negative part in the already disturbed situation in Swat and FATA.

The Lal masjid’s mullahs agenda and approach both were wrong in the past and in present as well.
    Goverment operation at Lal masjid was justified only one thing was wrong about it that was taken a bit late. Because of that situation was agrevated and it gave an opportunity to some taliban minded people to do negative propaganda about the army action.

Nobody should be allowed to take gun in his hand to implement whatever so called good agenda he has in mind. No single sect. should be allowed to prevail on other sects with violence and misguiding fatwas. Unless, as a nation, we turn down religious extremism and misuse of power, till than we have been condemned to live as a poor nation with all sort of problems in our society.

3. AD says:

It is a mafia rather than a Islamic movement. These bands are made up of mostly highly paid criminals. They seem to want power, not Shariah as it should be.

If it were a genuine Islamic movement these people would know that before they have a right to punish individuals or give harsh decrees, it is required of them to give every individual in their charge security, shelter, education and human rights.

This is a failsafe that our beautiful religion has given us. A yard stick to gauge the true intentions of those who rule upon us.

4. Tariq Mian,Canada says:

Maulana Abdul Aziz needs to develop a very responsible voice. He must express his opinion with due care. He should teach the students at his institute to practice moderation.
    No more dandas or lathis or any other weapons. Militancy doesn’t belong to him.

Actually, I have heard also good things about the affairs at the Lal masjid in the past.
    So, if the media had highlighted the incidence in exaggeration, the return of peaceful normalcy at the location will definitely change others’ percepton to it.

5. Tariq Mian,Canada says:

Kannan,
    You are absolutely right.
    All of us do desrve a peaceful life. We have a responsibility towards others, while the others should do the same. Friendly atmosphere is the key word.

6. Saleem Sayed says:

If the govt. of pakistan want to control Mullahism, they should learn from Bangla-desh……In Bangladesh Mullah have to come before pannel of Ullamas to explain their fatawas or else face criminal prosecution
    of disturbing the peace and other charges.

7. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Back to Khateeb’s son,
    Wrong approach—–isn’t?
    Islam doesn’t teach us to have a masjid built on an encroachment unlawfully. That is against the spirit of the beautiful Deen-e-Islam. This is rather a dis-service to the Muslim ummah.
    I do not question the genuineness of the students at the LAL MASJID, because that’s great service towards the Muslim ummah for learning how to live peacefully in the Dunya and how to prepare for the Aakhirah. Islam is a Deen of moderation. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (May peace be upon Him) always told the ummah to avoid extremism and live a life of moderation because that is Adle and Balanced approach.
    But—– the way, ‘Maulana Abdul Aziz and Maulana Abdur Rasdid Ghazi MARHOOM’ handled the situation was really bad. Even the Government of Pakistan mishandled the scenario causing a massive bloodshed.
    Both sides lost valuable lives which was an irreparable loss to Pakistan a country created to give Dunyavee home to evry true Pakistani Muslim.
    We lost innocent children studying and learning Islam in the masjid.
    President Musharaf had been ill-advised. We were embarrassed at the global level.
    Don’t engage in a gun fight with your own Army, because if you do, then this means you are unknowingly helping the foreign agencies to destabilize the country.
    If you are blaming the media for wrongly reporting, then you are dead wrong because Maulana Ghazi accepted that he had thirteen licensed klashankofs.
    Now, you tell me whether that was a self defense or a mis-adventure.
    You can not be allowed to take the law into your own hands.
    Ask your Government to protect you.
    Go to the court if the state doesn’t help you.
    Look at the judiciary, don’t you feel lucky to have a judiciary which is capable of decision on merits.
    I am proud of Pakistan. Insha Allah, Pakistan shall prevail and Islam shall flourish on its own course peacefully.

8. Ramkay says:

A mosque where a mullah preaches hatred and violence, where arms are stockpiled, is no longer a mosque. Allah has already left the building. Bombing Lal Masjid was justified.

9. Gixxer says:

if it was a revolution then the day is not far when every individual in Pak will become a revolutionary by setting up its own mosque or centre and start carrying out armed raids on whatever he sees as unislamic. infact the day has come and the brutalities committed in swat and Fata is just another episode of Lal Masjid. we live in a civilized world and Pakistan is run by a gov. one can’t challenge the writ of the gov by developing parallel systems. I do not agree with the idea of kidnapping and killing people just because they oppose our viewpoint and as far as I know these unlawful activities were first initiated by the students of the so called madrassa. Gov had to respond as it was needed. there are channels and forums of expressing yourself and making efforts to bring a positive change in the society. dont go far. take the example of the independence movement. Jinnah won Pakistan for us by not resorting to terrorism and encouraging people to commit suicides but by adopting peaceful ways of struggle.

10. Wasit says:

Unfortunately, revenge is a fundamental part of Pashtunwali and there will be revenge attacks. However, we do not have any choice left except to eliminate this menace of terrorism from our sacred soil and not get deterred by revenge attacks.

However, a few things that the Army is doing bother me. They should send soldiers to kill the terrorists and not use the jets and heavy artillery from a safe distance. No country uses these weapons on its own soil since they kill more civilians than terrorists and never solve a problem as their use in Balochistan over the last 35 years proves. I doubt if we will ever these weapons in Punjab whatever be the provocation. Secondly, our Army should be careful in using local lashkars as it has done recently, otherwise it will create such enmity within Pastuns that mutual bloodletting will continue for centuries.

11. We are in no position to decide what goes on behind those closed walls of Laal Masjid is to foster Islam.I think the picture is all clear to everyone.We cannot and must not force religion upon others.What we are doing for Islam is between us and our Allah.We don’t have to prove it to anyone and neither should the students of Laal Masjid.Where in Islam is it said that you should kill innocent people and spread Islam with a ‘sword’ or terror/fear?People who are taking revenge in different forms, espcially by brutally killing their fellow brothers,are highly mislead.I am not taking sides,but I believe that Islam has been misinterpreted very badly, and is being portrait like a religion of cannibles and wild animals, which is obviously far from the its real/true meaning and purpose.

12. SetaraSahir says:

This is an Obama success story.

By shifting the civil war to Pakistan he will be successful in bringing peace to Iraq that his predecessor could not do.

Al Qaeda will be busy in Pakistan now. I see some peaceful times in Iraq.

What you sow only that you reap.

13. Gixxer says:

I oppose the Lal Masjid Maulana,talibans and militancy. Capitulating to these elements is equal to committing suicide. But what I dont understand is how the Lal Masjid administration managed to acquire such advanced weaponary in a mosque that is located in the capital. To enter islamabad one has to pass through several check posts erected by security personnel. Still these militants managed to achieve their goal. The answer is clear.

14. kannan says:

Sad and painful to read the comment of citizens of Pakistan. May peace be upon your country.

Being an Indian i believe a normal human life has been spoiled by egocentric ,fanatic extremists all across the world be it India,pakistan,Sri Lanka. Citizens want to live a comfortable life with Law of the country..and see what mess our rulers have made

15. Abdul Mujeeb Khan says:

In my opinion, Maulana and musharaf are jointly responsible to spark these atrocities. I am surprise; both are enjoying their magnificence life and children’s of Swat and NWFP are suffering. Both have put Pakistan on high risk.

16. Khateeb's Son says:

To,

Tariq Mian, Canada;

Lal Mazjid was a revolution, atleast it stood against the brutuality and stood for religion. What have you done for the nation and religion almost nothing!!, ofcourse it has been portrayed by media as if it was not a mosque but rather a shelter for gunmen and militants, fact is it had pure students from different parts of country the only secural mosque open to men, women and children, for self defence people had to fight with sticks against big guns, helicopters and tankers; What did they give the innocents just bullets, thanks to politicans our determination only got stronger.

17. VH says:

The only way an ideology can be defeated is by sustained and multilateral pressure. Pressure from the common folk, govt, judiciary, executive and media and army alike. If Pakistan goes down to Taliban, say goodbye to womens education, science and technology and forward thinking.

18. Atis says:

Unfortunately in Muslim dominated nations Mullahs have got a very powerful say in the lives of people and this is exploited by the depostic rulers to further their ends.

19. Lateef Siddiqui says:

Under what law is maulana Abdul Aziz allowed to walk the streets of Islamabad. He had numerous very serious cases
    against him and yet the now azad judges saw it befitting to release him on bail. Was it lack of evidence? I doubt it.

20. Habibullah Khimany says:

The person who was trying to run by wearing Burkha shows he was afraid to die and not intersted in geting the title of Shaheed. I wonder why people listen to his sermons? I think our country is badly in need of a very very strict Martial Law to wipe out this menace.
    I appeal to President Obama and the people of USA to accept the military goverment of Pakistan as we are not at all fit for democracy. We lost one part of our country East Pakistan after adopting the parliamentry system and we may lose another part of our country now.

21. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

hn says:
    May 5th, 2009 at 2:51 am
    Set a standard for what constitutes terrorism……………
    ——————————————-
    Tariq Mian, Canada says:
    In my opinion, the word ‘Terrorism’ needs be re-defined covering extensively.
    Presently, the said term is being vaguely used.

22. Aniq says:

In my opinion, this ‘molana ‘ preaches hate. He should be banned from speaking in public and be kept in house arrest. He will only educate the another generation of extremists

23. Waad-ur-Rahman says:

Molvi Aziz just want to proof his prediction as right. Taliban would activate if Government does not surrender against them. His statement is like to seek attention because he wants to make his place in current Political Scenario. It is the responsibility of Pakistani Nation to Simplify the Islam against the Complications created by the Molvism.

24. Naim Naqvi says:

I fully endorse the view of Mr. Zafar that majority of Pakistanis sympathize with Taliban. Without their tacit approval and connivance of majority Taliban couldn’t have succeeded in their forays. The Wahabbi regimes of middle east have succeeded in capturing the Indian subcontinent’s mosques and madarsas with the brute power of petro-dollars. Muslims of India are giving credence to writers and speakers like Abu Yazid Mohd Deen Butt, Dr. Israrul Haque and Zakir Naik. Little good one could expect from these brain washed fanatics of Wahabiyat. There is no flickering light at the end of the tunnel. Either destroy the Wahabiyat root and branch or Pakistan will go into the songs of Punjabi and Sindhi folklores.

25. Tahir Ali Khan says:

It is human if one commits wrongs but it is another story one if persists with them. The Maulana should not take undue advanatage of the freedom he has so difficultly obtained. He should avoid doing the mistakes of the past which led to devastative consequences for his family and the country

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement