Swat operation: Is it on the right track?

Swat operation: Is it on the right track?

Chief of Army Staff Gen Kayani has called for ‘precision strikes to avoid collateral damage even at the expense of taking risks’ in Swat. But will this strategy work?

Air raids, especially those conducted by coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan almost always cause widespread civilian casualties. Given the chequered history of precision strikes, can it be said that the Pakistan army will do any better? Also, the army chief has said that the overall success of the operations in Swat and adjoining regions depend on three areas: ‘conduct of military operations, minimizing collateral damage and correctly managing IDPs’.

So far the armed forces have claimed killing more than 750 militants, though the figure is yet to be independently verified. The Taliban claim that only 15 of its fighters have lost their lives. Meanwhile, thousands of refugees have been pouring out of the areas affected by the full-scale military operation. According to some estimates, the figure of the Internally Displaced Persons has already crossed a staggering one million.

Dawn.com invites readers to debate the Swat strategy and suggest what’s right or wrong with the ongoing action.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

287 Responses to “Swat operation: Is it on the right track?”

1. Ali Khan says:

The action in Swat is simply the immediate solution that is to wipe out all Taliban from Swat. It is critical that the Army kills the entire Swat Taliban leadership and destroys their command structure. I would like nothing better then to see Fazlluah and Muslim Khan’s heads placed on pikes at the entry point to Swat to serve as a lesson for any future would-be imitators.

Once Fazlullah and his gang have been chopped up, the government must rebuild the law enforcement and basic health and education infrastructure in the area.

As a next step, the government and army must take the fight to Baitullah Mehsud in Waziristan and demolish his band of terrorists. Just as in Swat, the Army has to eliminate Baitullah and his fellow commanders. I’d like nothing better than to see Baitullah’s head on a platter.

The long-term fix has to focus on wiping out the insidious imported Wahhabi ideology from all the madrassas, and start giving the kids a real education.

2. Keti Zilgish says:

The Taliban are simply more organized than any of the anti-Taliban except for the Armed Forces of Pakistan. How come we are allowed to talk in regional & religious terms but not in class terms (the ‘owners’ and the ‘working class’). How come the bus owners of Karachi are allowed to organize but the bus conductors, the bus drivers and the bus passengers are not allowed to organize. The Taliban are those who found themselves a vacuum to fill. Joe Hill, the great labor leader of early 19th Cent, had it inscribed on his tombstone: “Organize, Don’t Mourn”. So much for those who have traditionally mourned through the centuries for slain religious heroes of the non-Taliban ancestry. They have now begun to make sure in the name of religion that the ‘working class’ does not organize in Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan. In India even the Police ‘working class’ and the ‘eunuchs’ are organized.

3. Abdul Mujeeb Khan says:

G.Kayani is very clear-headed person he had played significant role to reinstate judiciary. I have realized that he is humble and kind hearted in a sense that he can feel the pain of the Nation, I m sure, he has diagnosed the problem. Currently he should be adopt problem focus approach and continue operation at least for one year but he should be flexible in his strategy. He needs to establish campsite on mountains and advise government to recruit locals in Frontier Corps and train them so that they can take care of their own people. Refugee should be recall with in two months.
    G.Kayani has good opportunity to do something for poor people but need not to involve him into political sludge the way Musharraf did in past eight years. He wrote his famous comedy style book “in the line of fire” where he try to show himself patriotic. Musharraf and shoukat aziz EX-President and PM of the Pakistan were living their luxury life in the UK. They both were actually, blood sucker of the poor people of the Pakistan.

I hope G.Kayani will protect Democracy and at the same time, he will be success to put country on right track.

4. manz says:

First, Swati Militants are not Taliban so confusing the two is counterproductive.
    Second, the peace accord was the best solution and over-time it would have helped Pakistan regain the writ of state without any need of military action.
    Third, the timing of the operation makes it appear that it has been taken at the urging of Hillary Clinton, and to get some needed cash in the legendary ‘begging bowl’. Anyone who followed Zardari’s trip cannot escape that conclusion.

The best approach would have been to give the peace accord at least a few months, at that time things would have become much clear. I think the army action was very ill adviced. The militants will just melt away and innocent people will suffer. Counter-insurgency requires a lot of intelligence and commando type operation. Displacing 1.5 Million people and killing countless innocent is not the right way forward.

5. Walker says:

Now that the ulema have also come out (though only slightly late by about 20 years) to declare that killing women and children is haram these peoples days are numbered. However there is one question though – what about killing kafirs or infidels. I think that is allowed. Is it or not!

6. Fazal Rahman, Ph.D. says:

Ms. Parween Shakir says:

“Fazal, the fundamental truth is that I can still have a freedom to think and prosper within the rule of these apologiest, and if needed voice against it. I think you are grossly misinformed about the rule of Taliban.”

No, Ms. Shakir, I am not advocating the rule of Taliban. I only mentioned the obvious: in Pakistan, they are the only partially organized force that is engaged in real struggle against Western imperialism, whose godfather is the US imperialism. In Afghanistan, they are the main force. Overwhelming majority of the so-called “educated” Pakistanis-those in the areas of so-called social and human sciences-have been brainwashed by the Western textbooks, written by the advocates and apologists of imperialism. Those, in natural sciences and technology, are almost totally ignorant of socio-economico-political, philosophical, or mass psychological knowledge. They just work as machines, albeit money making ones, in the service of political or corporate powers, whose very nature consists of domination, control, and profits. Either way, the so-called educated elites are only pseudo-elites, ignorant and devoid of any real knowledge, insights, or intuition of the real nature of imperialism and its destructive effects on the Third World (including Pakistan), real democracy, freedom, human nature, culture, and the environment. They also do not seem to have the passion and feelings for freedom from foreign domination and control. Indeed, most are willing collaborators with those, if they can or expect to make enough money. This is a very sick and unhealthy mass psychology. In contrast, in this respect, Taliban seem to have correct insights, intuition, clarity, some basic information-and most importantly-the passion, feelings, and GHAIRAT. They can teach the brainwashed “educated” pseudo-elites a lot in this area. On the other hand, in other respects, like freedom of thought and expression, the need for development and change-including cultural change-, social justice, women’s rights etc., they need to be educated themselves. There needs to be a national dialogue, both in organized and unorganized individual forms, with mutual teaching and learning. Only in this way can the ignorance on both sides can be reduced, paving the way for focusing on the appropriate development and change, which will not be imported and imposed from the West, but would be determined internally, consistent with the higher cultural and religious values.

As far as your personal “fundamental truth” is concerned, how many people in Pakistan have the freedom to think or prosper? Overwhelming majority is so bogged down in toil, misery, unfreedom, and social injustice that such pretty words are totally alien to them. And many who claim to have the freedom of thought have only an illusion of it and in fact have just the opposite.

I have lived most of my life in the West and have done in-depth critical studies on its history, culture, mass psychology, psychology, political economy, philosophy, and imperialism. I have published an original macro-level theory of my own on these subjects. Believe me, underneath all the glimmer and glitter of the West, there is a very sick, ugly, evil, anti-human-nature, and anti-freedom creature that has evolved there. There are also many in-depth critical studies of the US and Western societies, culture, political economy, and mass psychology by very competent, knowledgeable and profound American and European writers. However, by and large, the Pakistani intellectual elites are not familiar with them.

7. I think it’s a golden chance for the Army and present government as APC has voiced their support in favour of meaningful military operation.Our Army should follow the example of Srilankan Army which successfully crushed Tamil rebels.Swat Militants are not less then state rebels,which need stern action against them.
    This present APC meeting of different politcal parties would definitely be a morale booster for our troops fighting the islamic fanatics in swat valley.Intelligence agencies must gearup their skills to target taliban commanders that would be a huge sigh of relief for IDPs and nation as well who are eyeing at this operation desparately……My prayers are with Pakistan Army.May ALLAH help and succede them in crushing these byzantine creatures…Amin

8. Wazirzada says:

My conviction is that the problem we are facing is much more profound and the solution must address all the core issues being faced by the Pakistani Nation. Has anyone thought of a plan the day after we ‘eliminate’ the Taliban? How are we going to address the issues that will help in the re surgence of the Taliban if we do not address them. These at the minimum are: –

Dysfunctional justice system
    Corruption at every level
    Power in the control of the few privileged
    Poverty and illiteracy
    Exploitation of the under privileged
    Sub subservience of the government to foreign powers
    The common man not understanding real Islam

I pray to Allah to help us and guide us to to find a permanent solution to this.

9. Keti Zilgish says:

With respect to the question raised by Wazirzada, May 17, 2009 at 9:12 pm: “Then what is the solution….if not a military one?”:
    The world in this part, is preparing for a Cultural Revolution that would make the 1960s appear like a Mole Hill. Both the Taliban and the anti-Taliban have developed an inferiority complex simply by appreciating the Vietcong & their predecessors, the Japanese suicide bombers of Pearl Harbor.

10. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Hopefully, when the ‘Swat operation’ winds up resulting in a happy ending, the government would bring about some drastic changes with regard to the administration.
    In order to get our house in order, we need eliminate aging abusive and customary systems of parallel governments in parts of Pakistan. Terrorists/militancy cleansing should also include the eradication of sickening laws enforced on the poor people by the feudal lords and Sardars, as well as Choudarys &Maliks. Pakistan can’t be ready to go on path of prosperity without the above suggested elimination. This way, general public would become stronger and gain economic fruit. As per my previous suggestion, we have to rid ourselves of abusive ‘vadera system’.

We have to discipline our society and be presentable to others with a national pride. In order to achieve this goal, national unity is a must which is a very challenging job for all of us; but is attainable.

Pakistan’s geo location is very strategic attracting other countries for economic reasons and for protecting their own vested interests, that is why, they seem so much interested in this part of the world. Nothing wrong as long as there is an amicable approach towards that goal.

If we are strong as suggested, we can be a major part of that business possibility with a major share for our Pakistan.
    With all this achieved one day, in my onion, there would remain no need of military-operation such as Swat operation.

There would be only ‘a level playing field’ available to all individuals, national or global players.
    Pakistan’s strength means no more gimmicks or games against our beloved country.
    Long live Pakistan.

11. Nadaem Shah says:

The Pakistani Army is 100% on the right track. In fact they are a little late getting on the track. These Taliban are savages and cannot be dealt with except with overwhelming lethal firepower.

If the local people of Swat are suffering because of Pakistani military action, then it is their own fault for tolerating Taliban amongst themselves, they should be pointing out Taliban and in future no village should allow them in or they should expect the entire village to be destroyed, because Pakistan cannot afford to leave this cancer alone, not even the smallest amount.

Please support the brave Pakistan Army by flying flags from your houses and cars, and stand with the Army for without the Army our nation will be plunged into a black hole of religious intolerance, bigotry, savagery, and unimaginable horrrors, the Taliban are nothing but a gang of criminals who excel in cutting peoples throats as if they were passing candies to children, these people are not even human, let alone Muslim. How can a Muslim be so cruel to chop off the heads of poor policemen and soldiers who only want to protect society with their own lives.

I am more angry at people who support the Taliban, the govt should make it a law to shoot at sight any Taliban supporter as they are traitors to Islam and Pakistan.

Pakistan Zindabad, Army zindabad.

12. fahad says:

There will be many civilians casualities in the military operation. Drones have killed about 730 civilians and i think 20 or 25 were militants. In Sawat civilians will die and the army still has not achieved any high value target. So how can we believe on the statement of COAS Gen-Kayani. Many innocent people will die and after passing some time INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES will dictate the govt to make an other agreement with Taliban. I am right or not but i think so………..

13. anonymous says:

I think it was good move on part of the government to have a national consensus. I am in big favour of convening an all parties conference. Threat of Taliban Ideology is more menancing then the armed thugs who call themselves soldiers of God or “Jihadists”. Talking to people back home, it seems that there is a general consensus on the Pakistani army conducting military operation but I am under the impression that people in Pakistan think that this ideology of Talibans and Implementation Of Shariah is all right, its just the method which is wrong. This is very bad news, It is the responsibility of the Ullemas to come forward and declare that ” There is no compulsion in Religion” and the constitution is soveriegn.

I am very worried about the effect of Taliban propaganda. Government should make every effort clamp down on any FM radio Taliban are running. I am very surprised that the government was not able to or doesnt want to triangulate the position of the Taliban Radio.

We should not forget the people trapped between taliban and the military and every effort should be made to minimize the damage.

Lastly in Swat there are groups of men who are looting and initimidating women under the pretext of lawlessness and War. I want government to send out a clear signal that as soon as peace is restored government will bring its iron fist on any element responsible for looting, rape etc.

14. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Yes Aamir!
    I would like to discuss the Balochistan situation too. But let’s wait for the topic on the issue to come up.

15. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Emergency declaration! what would that do?
    The army is taking good care of the problem.

16. Larry Stout says:

If a “drone” defined militarily is a death-dealing instrument guided by remote control, then the Taliban mind(lessness) qualifies. Heavily armed medieval drones, eh?

17. Muhammad Usman Maqsood says:

Well Done Pak Army we are with you.Crush these “mullahs” and enemies of Islam and Pakistan. They should only be killed and in future no “mullah” be allowed to challenged the writ of the Govt anywhere in the country. So keep spirits high. We are with you.

18. Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany says:

My rejoinder to Honey. Agree that we have to look at a long-term solution, but not right now. Lets get one thing done at a time and you will agree that getting rid of the Taliban is more important at the moment. We have to get our thoughts right because I still hear and read elements who would support the extremists and curse the army operation.

19. Manek Shergill says:

I am glad that the Pakistani army has finally woken up, and are doing what as army people they should be doing, defending the nation against people who try to take over the government through the gun.

The fact that the Taliban managed to come within 100 km of the capital was disgraceful, almost as humiliating as the abject surrender of Bangladesh in 1971.

India will never attack Pakistan. The international consequences as well as economic consequences of doing that is unthinkable. The same would have been true in todays age even if both countries did not have nuclear arms. A surgical strike will lead to war. Everyone knows that Pakistan is no Palestine and India is no Israel. Even during the kargil conflict Indian troops never crossed the international border. Yes there always will be a lot of loud voices and flexing of muscles.

Spy agencies in both countries are very good at creating problems in each other countries, but very poor in defending their own citizens. But the Indian agencies are not so stupid to support the taliban. Having the taliban at Indias doorstep is a horror situation for India.

Pakistan needs to realise that wounding India with a thousand cuts is not going to work anymore. Also Pakistan needs to get over its denial mode and stop accusing everyone in the world for their problems.You need to take responsibility and be accountable.

Pakistan should move more troops from its eastern borders, and clear the entire mess in its western borders, not only in swat. Having no counter insurgency experience, the Pakistan army is going to find the going tough as well as a steep learning curve, like the Indian troops did in the 1980’s. Best of luck to them.

20. I am surprised why Pakistan government has not declared ‘Emergency’ in this testing times. What is going on is nothing short of a war.

21. Mustafa says:

Good News – Zardari will take the bull by horn – by moving army operation to Waziristan. May Allah Bless him and Help him to make Pakistan truly “Pak” (sacred and clean) land free from evils who are out to destroy Pakistan and who are using the sacred religion of Islam to achieve their evil goals. Long live Zardari. Long live Pakistan

22. An Atheist says:

Why is it that no pakistani women post any messages here? Don’t they have an opinion?

23. Syed says:

I think before starting the movement, Taliban did not judge the national mood of Pakistanis. Pakistan has a little bit of different culture as compared to Afghanistan. Even Pashtuns over here are different from that of Afghanistan.
    Anyways, Taliban cannot succeed unless and until they have the hearts and minds of people. People do not accept their extreme Islam. The good thing is that a normal Pakistani is more religion aware. They may stumble when it comes to execution as moral character of people is not matching the knowledge they have about the religion. I can see the Light at the other end. InshaAllah

24. aamir says:

i fully support this operation in swat
    although it is late but not too late .
    but here i would like to bring another thing to the notice of the worthy readers
    THE BALOCHISTAN SITUATION
    a lot is happening there but we are neglecting this boiling pot…. balochistan an area with one of the best natural resources available in the world is in the hands of warlords

its a long discussion but the main issue remains ….. we need to look at the balochistan as a burning issue otherwise we might have to loose another limb of our homeland like bangladesh …..

25. akhan says:

Im proud of Pak Army. I hate politicans using taliban for personal gains
    by the way , why has CJ iftikhar chaudry, bailed Maulana Abdul Aziz?

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement