Swat operation: Is it on the right track?

Swat operation: Is it on the right track?

Chief of Army Staff Gen Kayani has called for ‘precision strikes to avoid collateral damage even at the expense of taking risks’ in Swat. But will this strategy work?

Air raids, especially those conducted by coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan almost always cause widespread civilian casualties. Given the chequered history of precision strikes, can it be said that the Pakistan army will do any better? Also, the army chief has said that the overall success of the operations in Swat and adjoining regions depend on three areas: ‘conduct of military operations, minimizing collateral damage and correctly managing IDPs’.

So far the armed forces have claimed killing more than 750 militants, though the figure is yet to be independently verified. The Taliban claim that only 15 of its fighters have lost their lives. Meanwhile, thousands of refugees have been pouring out of the areas affected by the full-scale military operation. According to some estimates, the figure of the Internally Displaced Persons has already crossed a staggering one million.

Dawn.com invites readers to debate the Swat strategy and suggest what’s right or wrong with the ongoing action.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

287 Responses to “Swat operation: Is it on the right track?”

1. Pervez Khan says:

Pakistan was created as “Democratic Republic of Pakistan”, later changed to Islamic Republic of Pakistan“`,now some want to change it to Islamic Caliphate of Pakistan“. There is no stopping this till Pakistanis REVERT back to the original agenda and name it “Republic of Pakistan. That will take all the wind out of the sails of the Taliban and their fundamentalist mentors.`Democracy… Democracy….

2. Anwar Yousafzai, London says:

Musharaf and the so called democratic leaders have dragged Pakistan down. These leaders are visionless are responsible for taking Pakistan to the brink of disaster and state of complete chaos.
    I am from Swat and know exactly what is happening to my people and land. There is no justification for the actions and decisions of the leaders. Now is near to impossible to get rid of this quagmire except devine intervention along with ‘developing iman of mominnin’.
    The government should have planned for the IDPs in advance which is turning into a humanitarian catastrope. The pro govt may kill few talibs but in my opinion have made above million its enemies.

3. Ayub Khan, Kurram Agency says:

I demand for all Pakistani brothers and sisters –of all Provinces, religious backgrounds and political affiliations — to support our brave Armed Forces to rid the country of these taleban.

You saw what happened during so-called peace deals. Taleban are not men of their word. We need strong leadership who can take tough stand, because this is so ridiculous that things got to where they have.

We are Mashallah a STRONG country and the Fauj is showing that when they are given orders, they can accomplish anything. I love Pakistan and all Pakistanis. Lets win this fight, this is our country.

Pakistan Zindabad

4. Ashutosh says:

The root cause of propagation of (not creation of) Taliban may be some or all the following:
    1. Feeling that they being the minority the main stream Pakistan are ignoring them.
    2. No hope from Pakistan. So they may feel that it is better to fight than to die without a fight.
    3. In the tribal areas which were more of less left out of the purview of direct control of Pakistani federal government, the people where probably living in an era similar to that prevailed in the 14th century where killing others was important own survival. So they have no fear in killing and ensure that others are scared of them.

I don’t think you can militarily finish of Taliban. Talibans are people like me who under certain circumstances raised a sort of war. If you do not remove the cause, Taliban will return and this time they may be better prepared.

If some one refuses to give-up arms, then catch them and put them to justice.

Better focus on attacking the causes and a long term plan will surely eliminate Taliban forever.

Regards,

5. Kamal says:

I think the most important challenge with pakistani leadership is sustainability.

They are already talking about making an agreement with Taliban if they lay down their arms. In the process they weaken themselves and bring the sense of uncertainty in the public eye. It is barely two weeks old initiative, under pressure from outside. They must never make an accord with any party or agengy for anything other than Democratic reform. Then I will know that Pakistani Government is walking the talk.

It is about time the leadership wakes up and starts thinking of people, as people first and muslims afterwords. The world is too torn between Regious rights or lefts and twisted interpretations. Any religion that undermines human dignity is an indication that its preachers have hijached it and failed to deliver what the almighty really wanted.

I hope this time the leaders can strengthen themselves and anchor to strong human values even in adversity.

To this I am willing to salute the leadership.

6. nisar chaudhry says:

I am surprised at the attitude of various Malvis critising the operation. Do they fear the loss of power? Why have they not ever critised Talibans atrocities over the years. We muslim believe what ever happens is for the better and happen by his command. I fully support the continuation of army opration. They should not stop until they are sure that all terrorists have been to eliminated.

7. raheel mir says:

i fully support the military action in NWFP. I feel very sorry for the refugees but we cannot let that change our opinion. we must carry on supporting our army. i am sure in time the citizens of pakistan will start helping the state in organising aid for the refugees as was done after the earth quake. inshallah Pakistan will come out victorious and then we can concentrate on improving the economy and lives of ordinary citizens.

8. I support the the Military action led by Gen. Kayani & His team against Taliban but I have two questions as well and one is Do you believe that by killing few hardliners will eliminate the Taliban forever ? Or We need to kill the very basic ideology of taliban to wipe out talibinisation ?
    Question no 2 is How we can defeat the taliban or like minded people without undestanding origin & cause of Taliban….The have been made in ’80’s by agencies against USSR as Jehadi.
    Here I am not saying that they deserve any better treatment as Taliban but to eliminate Taliban,We have strike in the genisis rather then few so called leader etc.

9. Dr Junaid Amir Tipu says:

The vast majority of Pakistanis living within or outside Pakistan fully support the military offensive in Swat. We dont want illiterate mullahs to rule us, to dictate “their” Islam to us, to keep filling their tummies in the name of Allah ki rah.
    The vision of our Quaid, Iqbal and all other “real heroes” who fought for this country was not that of a barbaric nation, an idea clearly supported by these preachers of hate. They burn girls schools, support whipping and lashing, kill others like anything in the name of their delusions, yet look at them and one notices nothing else but dust and dirt, outside to deep within………
    We therefore fully support the Army in eliminating all these perpetrators of crime and hate………

10. Israr Siddiqui says:

The nation is united behind its armed forces and ready to make sacrifices like the army. However, I believe that unfortunately we have suspects within the political set up in power. These should be exposed.

11. Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany says:

After decades of lethargy, Pakistan Army has come up with the right approach. This operation has to go on, IDPs or no IDPs, till the very end. What Honey and Malik say about our colonial past and changes in our mentality, do not forget we have not done a thing about it in the past 60 years. Now, however, is not the time for such luxurious thinking. We first have to get rid of the Taliban, once and for all. Pakistanis get your thoughts right.

12. shoaib Malik says:

Two thumps up for our brave soldiers fighting for the liberty of our civil society and sacrificing their lives for the sake of peace and security of their fellow countrymen.
    It’s easy to criticize our beloved army while sitting in conditioned drawing rooms and without knowing the reality on ground. I would simply request those so called observers/intellectuals/maulvis to go and spend just one night along with our troops fighting against those terrorists. Then they would be more enlightened and could comment in more informed way.
    On top of everything, miseries in Swat are self inflected by their local population. Yes, this is one bitter reality but we must accept it. How could handful of terrorist make hostage of whole population (approx. 1.5 million people) of this area. Why these locals didn’t fight back right at the beginning while they were propagating their ideology of hate in this region?
    Current Army reaction (not operation) is a temporary remedy but for sustain and lasting peace and prosperity, locals have to show their courage and safeguard their society for their own betterment. I hope our simple innocent fellows living in those areas will not be trapped again on the name of Islam/God.
    Our society desperately need well educated religious scholars who must show them real face of Islam and tell them who we are and where should be our position in the array of proud developed nations of the world. If it doesn’t happen, then we shouldn’t expect end of our miseries very soon – as for such situation, Dr. Allama Sb well said,
    “Kom kia ha, Komon ki haqeeqat kia ha
    Ye kia janay bechara do rakat ka imam”

13. MK Khan says:

This military victory in not something to be proud about. with an enormous material and resource advantage over Taliban fighters the army is taking more time to finish them off . This increase the number of people being displaced and add to their plight . Our Army is not a capable on to handle anything like this. We have an army who was defeated in all wars it fought against. Though this military action can win some applause from different quarter, the after effects in terms of IDPs humanitarian side will be an uphill task to handle and makes Pakistan to go around the world with begging bowls. This victory also rise a question why Army took too long to initiate this action which is long overdue ,adding to the suspicion that Army was hand in glove with the Taliban fighters so long.

14. Kamal says:

First of all I support the government decision for military operation in Swat area. However I like to pen down certain points which I will give govenment and intellutuals food for thought:

1. The complete nation should support Army in this operation by voicing their support to them. At the same time do not demand for the details of operation. However the govenment has all the right to ask about operation and provide political guidance to acheive national aim.

2. The more responsibility lies on the shoulders of Political govenment as they are the one who will consolidate the political and administrative work befor ,during and after the military operation.

3. The government has a immediate task in the shape of IDP. As per the reports of media the government is performing mesirably in this field. Theire is a dire need the govenment should moblize its all source i.e Political Parties, People of Pakistan, NGO,s etc to alleviate the sufferings of IDP person , so the have more trust on Pakistan , its govenment rather on TALIBAN.
    4. Work out a strategy now how to go about running the administration, development of the area, what will be the Judicial system when the military operation is finished . This is the right time tobrain storm all the details and strategy be devised, debated with other political forces and of course in respective assemblies.
    5. Here I must say that the Nizam e Adal regulation which was promolugated earlier should be enforce in letter and spirit being the demand of people of the area by the govenment with the active involvement of Supreme Court of Pakistan.

In the end I will Say “ALLAH help those who help themselves

15. Israr Khan says:

The army is doing a great job, we are proud of our army. But i think we shouldn t just leave it up to the army to deal with these guys. We as citizens of Pakistan are so quick in blaming every one else but ourselves. The govement is not doing this, the govt is not doing that, lets look at ourselves what are we doing. What are we giving back to Pakistan, it is our responsibility to keep an eye on suspicious elments in society and help every one make Pakistan a safe country.
    The second and very important thing about swat operation would be the future of that area. We must establish the writ of govt there with providing security and making sure that these guys never ever come back.

16. Who controls Pakistan? Pakistanis? The Politicians! Military Junta! Or the External Power! Afganistani or Iraqi prescriptions are not likely to work. They failed in those two countries and they will fail in Pakistan also. The people should be educated and awakened and only with the participation of Pakistani people a solution should be sought for.

17. uxma says:

i totally disagree with Expat Indian. India will not warn prior to attack on Pakistan.pakistan is in the critical situation.there is a clear threat of indian attack on pakistan and pakistanis are fully cognizant of it. india is the only country who is not giving any statement about this issue in Pakistan.We should keep our eyes open.Pakistan is at the greatest risk and indians are not trust worthy..

18. uxma says:

As far as shria is concernd,i don’t think it’s the proper way to implement it.Security forces should be appreciated for their action in these tribal areas.i want to ask so called muslim talibans that where their shria goes when the women are forced to live under open sky,where it goes when the childrens are fored to be beggers to get food.Islam doesn’t exist in lengthening beards and holding guns in their hands and in crushing innocent peoples and pounding public properties.All the people who are doing so have to pay for it on the day of judgement…

19. Ashok says:

Am from India. I feel sad for the people of Pakistan and the situation they are in. The army offensive against the terrorist who kill innocent and impose their rule BY FORCE is only one part. Pakistan has to do more and fight another war against illteracy, poverty, economic backwardness, and the jihadi organisation.

Good luck.

20. Naved Haider says:

The whole nation is behind Pak. army for the Swat operation. This time army and Govt. should not be trapped by taliban and their supporter on the name of negotiations to settle the issue. Enough is enough. Talibans are cruel, illitrate fanatics with a hidden agenda. No negotiations with them. Let the gun negotiate this time.

Most importantly, the army operation must be completed 100% and no taliban should be allowed to leave from Swat. Otherwise, they will target army and Govt. officials to revange, inline with the recent claim of Abdul Aziz of Lal masjid.

It is advisable that all Swat’s innocent people leave the area for the time being and distance themselves from talibans to minimize colletral damage.

We all should contribute to take care of IDPs and their camps must be under surveillance, to protect them from talibans.

21. Fahad says:

No matter how much I hate to see my own people (especially women) get internally displced – I would love to see my country the way it is supposed to be. I am certain we are no where close to how we should act as a nation in presenting ourselves to the outside world and before that to our ownselves.

We all know we need a revolution of some sorts to get rid of our politicians and the rest of the thieves but following the “Taliban” way is definitly not it. If I had not seen, what these guys are capable of (afshanistan in 1999-2000), I myself might have supported them (not physically but morally). But now that I know that these people have no Ideology – I can never see them flourish and let them play my people and especially MY country (i.e. Pakistan).

What the Govt. is doing right now in Swat is Harsh but certainly the only way to deal with these barbarians. We as a nation need to support our Govt on this issue (morally) and help the IDP’s (physically).

Pakistan Zindabad – Bcoz without our country we are NOBODY, look at Afghans, once a proud nation today is plagued by social problems of all sorts and living a life with No Respect from anyone. I just hope we can get back to how we were “a moderate Islamic society with high regards to our Culture”

22. Peter Eyre says:

In view of my current research I urge the people of Pakistan to ban the use of Depleted Uranium (DU) Weaponry that in the main is manufactured and exported from the United States. Your country should be allowed to fight its own war with only conventional weaponry and ban the entry of US aircraft and DU weaponry into your country.
    In one context it is in breach of your own Sovereignty. However, it is widely known that although on the surface your government condemns the entry of such things it is agreeable to the US under the table. It is the duty of care of any government to ban such activity, which is in violation of many of the existing Geneva conventions. It is the duty of care of the people of Pakistan to tell them government to do this. If you choose to ignore then only you yourself will be responsible for the dramatic rise in Cancers, Diabetes and badly mutilated children….already you are inhailing/digesting the fall out of DU from Afghanistan but in carrying out this brave action you will be saving many thousands of lives.

Peter Eyre

23. Muhammad.Quddus says:

When Zulifiqar Ali Bhutto entertained the idea of the “Islamic bomb”, the top scientiests asked him to forget about it. Why? because the Pakistani boys coming out from the Univeristies with the science degree happened to sub-standard. This fact is stated in Tariq Ali’s most recent book. So we have the rise of Taliban but with no true learning. Pakistan is forever begging American aid and rely upon Pakistanis living abroad. “In order to love a country, a country has to be lovely”, as Burke has said; show me one lovely aspect since I am dying to love my country. Shakeel.

24. R.R says:

The million dollar question: Who and why do the Taliban exit? During the Afghan war with USSR the “Taliban” were formed with the help of the CIA and ISI to combat communisim. That worked during the war however when the war ended those same Taliban leaders wanted more.

They wanted “power” and wanted to exert their influence into other regions including Pakistan. Well now Pakistan has to deal with the Taliban since they cannot stay in Afghanistan due to thousands of US forces and our own creation (Taliban) is coming back to haunt us.

Yes, I fully agree that the military take full action and do what is necessary to combat the problem and try to solve it hopefully. However the problem will not get solved as long as our incompetent leaders do not do what is necessary to rid poverty, deal with health care isues, education, and create jobs.

When basic necessities are not available, what is the common man to do? You create an enviornment where people use religion to control other people and have their bidding done. Case in example: teach an uneducated person that everyone in the world is an enemy of Islam and you end up creating a martyr.

The time is now and very crucial for Pakistanis to put aside their differences and realize for once and all that Pakistan was created for everyone. Not just for punjabi’s, sindhi’s, baluchi’s, pathan’s or any ethic group but for everyone. We need to work together in order to make our country strong, vibrant, safe and most important of all to give our children a future to look forward to.

Even though I live abroad, I still miss Pakistan and it is who I am. I hope that one day people will see the light and realize that we have to move forward and make the country a better place for everyone.

25. waqas says:

I don’t know why we dont think!! If these taliban are being funded from afghanistan then its time to eradicate those in afghanistan and this includes our great ally the US.

By allowing the CIA and RAW to openly operate on one end and bombing villagers on the other end is simply stupidity, and will only lead to further chaos thus destabilising Pakistan

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement