American food vs military aid

American food vs military aid

Acknowledging mistakes is a prerequisite to building a healthy, honest relationship. Only then can a mutual vision be defined and pursued in the search of a better tomorrow.

On Tuesday, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton again lamented America’s ‘incoherent’ dealings with Pakistan over the last 30 years. She made it clear that Washington had abandoned Islamabad once the Soviets were forced to withdraw from Afghanistan. It was also implied that the US had supported military dictators instead of the people of Pakistan. She announced an additional $110m in emergency relief for persons displaced by the fighting in Malakand.

According to the Dawn newspaper’s editorial on Thursday, the suffering in the region is acute and America has done well to extend a timely helping hand. Food from the US will win more friends among the people than the delivery of weapons to the army. Dawn.com invites its readers to debate whether this strategy will work.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

56 Responses to “American food vs military aid”

1. M.Nasrullah Khan says:

No doubt Pakistan Army is fighting for restoration of peace against enemies of peace .So it is the duty of every peace loving person all over the world to backup Pakistan Army .My dear reader you may be Pakistani may be American, you may be British, European, Australian, Canadian, you may be African or may be Asian including Indian, If you are a peace loving person I assure you Pakistan Army is fighting to give you peace.
    Now the entire world is a global village. My all peace loving friends are very satisfied and appreciating the operation of Pakistan Army against the enemies of Humanity and peace. I like to request my all readers who are reading these lines to please appreciate this peace restoration operation of Pakistan Army. I am as a peace loving person think that Pakistan Army is fighting for the peace of the entire world to eliminate the terrorists which want to disturb the peace of the entire world. Here I also like to warn the agencies of the some countries that are helping these terrorists that you are helping the enemies of Humanity. If Pakistan Army can not defeat them then our neighbors whose agencies helping these terrorists will be the next target.
    So for the sake of peace help Pakistan Army and stop helping the enemies of peace.
    Due to this War for restoration of law and order and peace a huge immigration took place so it is the obligation of the entire world including USA and other friends of Pakistan to help these refugees as more as possible .It is the time to compensate the sacrifices of Peoples of the disturbed area.

2. Larry Stout says:

During the six centuries of the Ottoman Empire, they had both wars and alliances with Russians, Venetians, and others. Politics makes strange bedfellows…but not forever. Or, we might say there is no honor among thieves, or nations.

3. Karim says:

Absolutely right Food will be great help for the people of Pakistan than Arms. Pakistan need to have strong agricultural policy and More school, and colleges for higher Education, so that people can improve the standard of Living.

Karim

4. Mohammed Ali Makhani says:

Life is full of Catch 22’s or domino effects. Muslims in general and Pakistan in particular is caught in a very bad catch 22 situation. Yes! The United States used and abused us and abandoned us when they got what they wanted. They did it because they could. Their leaders work for their people, not for Pakistanis. Our leaders mostly work for themselves and their families, not for Pakistanis. If we remain weak and vulnerable, we will be abused again and again and again by anyone and everyone.
    Developed nations have a very good system in place. It is difficult for a person with a history of corruption to become the leader. Even if he/she does become the leader, it is very difficult for him/her to do things for personal gains. In Pakistan, it is very difficult for an honest person to become the leader and even if he/she does become the leader, it is very difficult to remain honest. He/she is surrounded by people who are incompetent and robbing the nation blind. If the leader tries to change things too fast, he/she looses control and falls victim to conspiracies against him. When the leader caves in to the corruption, things start to get worse. The socio-economics of the nation starts to become unbearable for the common man. New wealth is not generated and the “old” wealth is rapidly shifted towards the already rich segment of the society. When situation deteriorates to a certain threshold, the Armed Forces take over. Initially, the military dictator is honest, but power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Now the nation is in double jeopardy. It lost democracy AND still has the corruption. If the leaders of the developed nations feel that the Military dictator is not serving the interests of the developed nations properly then it is time again for the “democracy” and cycle continues.
    The desperate common man turns towards religious leaders as he hopes they would be honest. Desperations create fanatics and fanatics increase desperation level.
    In 1982, I came after 9 years to live and work in Pakistan. During my first month, my sister had to ask me on 2 occasions to move over and let her drive so we can get out of the traffic mess. The people around us laughed and made fun of me. Very soon, I learned and was driving the same way as any other Pakistani driver (uncourteous and rude!). When a Pakistani goes to a developed nation, he/she drives very courteously otherwise he/she looses the driving privileges very fast.
    About 2 years back, I came to Lahore with an American and a German colleague for work. The customs clearing agent cleared the parts through customs after intense haggling with the inspectors( in front of my colleagues). The customs clearing agent bought us juice cartons and we headed towards the hotel. After finishing his juice, the agent rolled the window and threw out the empty carton. Both my foreign colleagues looked at each other with disgust. The agent asked me to throw away the empty boxes. I tried to ignore him, but he was persistent. He turned towards my colleagues and asked them to give him the empty cartons. My colleagues knew what he was going to do and, therefore, they refused .
    The agent was a very religious man and prayed 5 times a day. He asked my colleagues if they were Christians. My colleagues nodded and the agent started to preach Islam to them. As far as my colleagues were concerned, the agent had done 2 most disgusting things. He gave bribe and he threw garbage out on street.

We will only get good leaders when our society improves. I believe, we need a major overhaul. We, as a nation, have developed many bad habits and it is very difficult to change. We need to start at Kindergarten and teach our children the basic responsibilities of citizens to form/maintain a good civilized society. Every religion teaches these basic responsibilities, but the problem with referencing religion too much while teaching them is the danger to the national unity. Children start to learn that they only have to be nice to others who have exactly the same faith as they do. In many cases, they assume that prayers and religious rituals are somehow substitute for the basic responsibilities. Not everyone has exactly the same faith and we all get offended when someone criticized our faith or rituals. It generates resentment and the national unity suffers and the nation remains weak and disunited.

5. vera_anz says:

What is needed for people is food and shelter.
    Advanced weapons are not needed against our own people.Shame that we did to our own people what India does not do to Muslims..
    Killing own people and begging weapons..
    Ask for more industries..more colleges..more hospitals..more infrastructure investment..more health care funding…

6. Babar says:

we need basics food, water & shelter. As it is appox 70% of our budget goes to army

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement