Aid vs. terror

Aid vs. terror

Dawn.com invites its readers to discuss current affairs in this forum.

Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has called for more international aid to combat extremists, claiming that the Taliban could move into India and the Gulf if the financial support to stem their movement is not made available. He has asked for 2.5 billion dollars for emergency relief and reconstruction aid for the north-west of Pakistan, where military operations against the militants are ongoing. Mr Qureshi’s request for aid comes two days before the first summit of European Union and Pakistan leaders in Brussels, at which aid for Islamabad will likely top the agenda.

Do you think increased foreign aid to Pakistan can help prevent the spread of militants across the region? If Pakistan does receive the requested aid from the European Union, how should the government utilise the funds? In terms of reconstruction, what developments are urgently required?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

43 Responses to “Aid vs. terror”

1. beena sabeen says:

Whether foreign aid will increase or not nobody can stop spreading militants until government of Pakistan uses the funds in proper manner. corrupted bureaucrats will increase their assets rather to finish militants. as the policy maker and implementers become sincere we will not have need any aid

2. Bilal Anwar says:

It is high time that the Government after recieving such high aid from foreign countires should utilise it to further improve its economy, not to mention the lives of the people who are constantly facing hardships. The aid can be utilised in many ways but through my point of view, it should be done in two ways.

1. Rehabilitate the refugees who are living in camps in the northern areas due to constant guerilla wars. Best way would be to construct structures that can accomodate as many people as posiible.

2. Secondly, since 2.5B is a huge amount, a major portion can be spent on improving security in targeted segments of the country where terrorist attacks are most likely.

The best option yet is to actually let the countries who are providing the aid decide on themselves what measures are to be taken rather than letting the Pakistani governmnet take them. Because then the aid spending would be in the best interest of Pakistan as well as India and the rest of the countries who desire the abolishment of Talibans.

3. Jalal Hussain says:

Increased foreign aid to Pakistan cannot prevent the spread of Taliban, neither in the short nor in the long run.

The only way to control militancy is through good governance and education.

4. Muhammad Ishaq Narejo says:

Pakistan need aid to clear debris created by wrong policies both it’s own as well as those of foriegn powers.
    It should be utilized in a transparent way to avoid another mess.

5. aftab ahemd says:

It would surely help Pakistan to fulfill its financial needs to carryout the operation, because movement of troops and use of weapons and machinery is very costly for country to afford on its own. Aid given to Pakistan need to be used transparently and details should be given to people through media. A complete assessment need to be conducted to know that how much loss the people and country has received. The affected people need to be paid and helped to be rehabilitated. The focus of spending should be education, health and creating employment opportunities in the area.

6. Kabir says:

Aid is not going to help, if it isn’t utlized in right manner. if we dont keep our house in order, we will be running into major issue and in that case aid or no aid, nothing would help us. We will be at Allah’s mercy.

7. Jodhbir says:

I think if Pakistan gets the aid, it should be monitored by the UN officials because corruption would be the major obstacle.

8. Khalid says:

I think the aid needs to go through international aid agencies.

The money coming in is at the expense of Pashtun blood.

I am really hoping for true leadship to emerge from among the pashtuns to look after the interests of the pashtun.

9. Majid Khan says:

Shah Mehmood Qureshi earlier described deal with TTP as “Local solution to local problm”, now asking for aid from international community to fight with the same TTP.

10. Riaz Ahmed says:

Talibans, and their cultural and relegious experiences and understandings, do not reflect the experiences of Pakistanis in general. Indeed, their victory in Pakistan will be a long term issue for Pakistan’s neighbours. World needs to help Pakistan in securing a military win but more importantly in wining the hearts and minds of the residents of the areas who have suffered collateral damage of loosing their house, their source of income and possibly an innocent loved one. A situation of desperation produces extremists.

11. humad ali says:

first of all more funds will not solve anything if they are not being deployed properly, its a mystery as to where these funds get spent, whenever funds are given, they should be monitored by an international agency, UN or whatever, to make sure they are being spent on the purpose they were given for. second, i believe funds should help the displaced people of NWFP, not just their camps but redevelopment on their destroyed cities, to bring back normalcy as soon as possible so they can go back home, the military second, so they have the resources to continue driving the militants back to afghanistan, third to create a force that will secure the northern region for the next few years, fourth to provide ongoing basic needs for people in NWFP and Balochistan so they don’t feel neglected and develop a stronger sense of being a pakistani. this can all be done when our leadership becomes more patriotic and less corrupt.

12. Janan Khan says:

I think the aid given to Pakistan be utilised undr the supervision of UN So it will beniefit the deserving.

13. PAKISTAN'S CITIZEN says:

I think definitely the foreign aid will help IDPs and flush out militants from our tribal and settle areas. At that time we need the aid, but important think we have to focus is corruption. I think government has many opportunities to utilize this upcoming fund in a progressive way, but the ways are transparent, clear and more accountable.

14. Ahtsham Rashid says:

The track record of any of our previous governments have a lot to be desired. The tainted policies which have so ingrained themselves in all aspects of our lives in the form of nepotism, Bribery, incompetencies etc. I would not trust Aid being given in the form of cash either. I would implore the West to not only send out their services but also set up independent bodies that would monitor these services and make them transparent. Rhetorical speeches are not the solution to our problems….Follow them by Actions. The ones being affected are our brothers and sisters….

15. J.N.Bhat says:

I am an Indian and would strongly support aid for the rehabilitation of the displaced people as a result of the Taliban probelem. But I would like this to be channeled through the U.N. agencies and not in cash form to the Government. In the long run I would rther Pakistan calls for trade and not aid. Here again, if the Government of Pakistan mixes up politics with trade, it won’t go far. Aid is somewhat like crutches given to a disabled fellow. Once you get used to them, you will never recover from disability.

16. Dr. Humaid Khan says:

The most effective way of giving the meaningful assistance to pakistan is that all aid should be given in goods and services forms and none as a cash hand out

17. Sahar says:

Aid is quite irrelevant because it hardly ever sees the light of day and is most of the time never used for purposes it is meant to be used for
    Some simple advice, stop wasting money on costly travel of officials. The leaders need stop displaying their seriousness to the World, convince us Pakistanis first. Those people who left their homes could have showed support for the extrmeist elements but they put their faith in you. Their sacrifice MUST not be taken for granted, lest histroy repeat itself.

18. Zafar Akhtar says:

In fact thats the only way. People with radical ideas are to be tamed with education,jobs and creating cultural activities.This is possible by massive uplifting program in the region which requires money

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement