Bijli woes

Bijli woes

Karachiites in many parts of the city continue to suffer without electricity, as power has yet to be fully restored after a fault developed on the main supply lines on Wednesday evening. In some areas, power has been returning sporadically on Thursday afternoon only for short intervals.

At workplaces across the city, employees are yawning, complaining about the stifling, sleepless night they had to endure. People are comparing the longevity of their generators and UPS devices. Others are calling their homes and friends at 15-minute intervals to find out if the electricity is back yet. In some areas, power has not been restored for almost 20 hours.

More importantly, patients in government hospitals such as JPMC and Civil cannot avail of proper treatment until the electricity returns. And, as pumping stations need power to supply water, an acute water shortage looms in various areas.

Frustrated, over-heated residents are beginning to vent their anger through street protests and by thronging KESC complaint centres. Not surprisingly, KESC phone lines are continuously busy and staff have locked up their offices to go under cover.

Rather than complaining to friends and colleagues, Dawn.com invites you to share your blackout story on this forum. How are you coping without electricity? Has the power been restored in your neighbourhood? How did this power outage inconvenience you or your workplace? What is the longest amount of time you have gone without electricity?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

38 Responses to “Bijli woes”

1. Shahzad Hanif says:

What is happening was expected & I dont see any improvement in future. What people expect from these Incompetent leaders (sory to call them leadrs). Our people are very brave as they bear all hardships & do not complain may be they have accepted to live like animals

2. Tariq Hamid says:

Dear Karachities, I can feel the pain, anger & suffering of the people. It is such a sad situation since 1947, the leaders of the great nation Pakistan have failed to realize the importance of ELECTRICITY for the country.It is a back bone for any industrial development everything is dependent on it, that is why Pakistan is so left behind in economic development in the world. I agree with most of the writers, and I hope leaders will realize to invest more money by hiring some foreign companies to make more competitive for KESC to perform upto its potential. I hope this message reaches the Governor of Sindh MR. Ishrat-ul-Abad. Please sir do someting good & constructive for the city of Karachi so that people will remember you with goodwill.

3. Morbid Isolation says:

What difference did it make instead of providing the not so needed impetus to our frustrations against the government and the city’s lack of infrastructure. I woke up today to no electricity thinking that the people would be taking to the streets but instead we were all waiting, just waiting for electricity to come back so we could move on with our lives without complaining just nagging to each other about how horrible and backward this place is.

The problem is that we have become accustomed to being treated like sheep rather than citizens of a nation. The electricity came back in some areas after almost a day and what do we do? Switch on the tele and watch our shows, go to work and carry on like the past 24 hours didn’t happen. The problem is that through our silence we have now created a monster. The civil servants who are supposed to serve us the people are acting like the masters of us all. They need to be questioned, grilled and kept on their toes. They are here for us we are not here for them.

4. Thakkur Manzoor A. Khan (USA) says:

There should be investigation into this mishap to ensure it does not happen again.
    Authorities must tell the nation how many people do not pay their bills and steal
    electicity in Karachi and other parts of Pakistan.

5. Imran Ahmad Khan says:

I am not in Karachi but in Islamabad, however I feel lot of anger in myself over the situation. This here is our country in the hands of the most incompetent people either call them politicans, civil servants (there is nothing about serving in them) or army. These people over the years have destroyed the infrastructure of this country as a whole and the bigest city of Pakistan in particular. There are no words to describe this crime (as i would call it) which is being committed against the people of this great city. The responsible people should be brought to justice, may Allah listen to our prayers.

6. Arshad says:

The difference between Pakistan and Afghanisthan is shrinking day by day.

7. Naveen says:

Pakistan today represents India before independence.

8. Faizan says:

By far the longest time without electricity.It has arrived after the gap of more then 20 hours and still it seems they are not fully done with it,one phase goes the other return.Kesc should be taken over by the fedral government and tell the investor’s to pack up and go home, wait were they here in the first place?????????!!!!!!!!

9. zadran says:

Give rid of to KESC.get some professional expert who can fix this problem for once that including foreign companies.carry out all the work and send the bill to KESC for doing there job for them.why the people have to put up with this nonsense.if there is any teeth in the government they should
    act now not tomorrow enough is enough.if it had happened in any other country that government would have told them to pack up and leave.

10. Syed ALi Mehdi says:

One suggestion for free – Stop relying on Govt for your needs and have your own powersupply (Private Sector)

11. khumar says:

62 years of existence and we are still struggling for our basic needs, while our politicians are enjoying all the luxuries in the world.

We really do need a revolution … where we can teach all these politicians that THEY ARE NOT ABOVE THE NATION OF PAKISTAN. They badly need this and we need this!!! n i think this the high time to do it.

12. AZ says:

I feel very sorry for the people of Karachi…..Its hard to imagine how did people of stone age used to survive without electricity…Ignorance is a bliss..:)

13. ASIF IQBAL says:

Have passed a very long night I think this is the longest period passed without electricity and still 4:00 PM it could not restored completely ( feel like we’re living in 19th century) thank God at workplace we are not having KESC connction instead GAS generator.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement