What does Nawaz’s acquittal mean?

What does Nawaz’s acquittal mean?

On Friday, the Supreme Court overturned convictions against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif for plane hijacking and terrorism. ‘Looking at the case from any angle — the charge of hijacking, attempt to hijack or terrorism does not stand established against the petitioner,’ the Supreme Court ruled on a petition filed by Sharif.

The PML-N has welcomed the decision and party spokesman Siddiqul Farooq has already announced that the party will now attempt to hold former president Pervez Musharraf ‘accountable.’

What are the implications of Sharif’s acquittal for Pakistani politics? What impact would a showdown between the Sharif brothers and Musharraf have on the political landscape? In light of the court’s ruling on the hijacking case as well as the reversal of the ban on the opposition leader’s holding office, what do you think the PML-N’s strategy will be for the next elections?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

39 Responses to “What does Nawaz’s acquittal mean?”

1. Pakistani says:

Not sure if the plane was hijacked or not. But any sensible person can make out what has been hijacked.

I love my country and I want to see it thrive and progress and the people given their rights and corruption eliminated.

2. Asad Mohammad says:

Mian Nawaz is ‘Sharif’ again!

3. Saeed Manan says:

We ,people, can just comment ,nothing will happen,what ever to happen will be totally different than our expectations,thats what always happening in pakistan.So pay attention to your own activities what ever u do and let the politicians do their work.

4. Tariq Nawaz says:

Grave problems confront this unfortunate country.Politicians should forget revenge and concentrate on nation building which already lies in tatters.Do not become a laughing stock all over the world.Musharraf is already the most hated man in Pakistan,forget him.Have some sense of urgency and daunting problems facing our country.Good luck,may God help you guys!!!

5. Waqas says:

Then who hijacked the plane? I was on that plane, and I would like to hear an answer. Who is responsible for putting Pakistani lives in danger?

6. khalid says:

This is such a disaster!

7. syed tanveer says:

Nothing is impossible, no matter how disastrous.

8. nasir khan says:

We are heading to a big problem again. With NAWAZ coming back to power, beyond doubt, will try to take on Musharaff, but probably, it is not Musharaff, but the Army, he would be challenging again. As though I understand, Army will never like, their Ex- cheif, being humiliated, thus a bigging of yet another confrontation in the offing. God save Pakistan

9. Ali Khan says:

Mr. Saad Rehman,

You still hope that Mr. Nawaz Sharif does not let down the country?! Well such are the hopes then I am afraid this nation is destined to doom. We simply donot have the genes or courage to elect good leaders. Why donot you question the political ethics of Mr. Sharif. He was an unelected leading figure the party. He has named the party after HIMSELF. But still we are blind to see the obvious and dare to “hope and pray that Mr. Sharif won’t let the Pakistani nation down. Amen”.

10. syed says:

Neither this decision nor CJ revival will bring any relief to common man,Pakistan is currently facing huge challanges while Nawaz wants to focus to satisfy his personal ego………..If he is real leader he should help pak army to settle burning issues likes Waziristan,NWFP militancy……..

Wake up PML – N ,if you are really sincere to Paksitan……..THEN forget about personal vendetta’s for the SAKE OF PAKSITAN PLEASE………….

REGARDS

TRUE PAKISTANI

11. Saad Rehman says:

I think it is a momentous occasion and justice has been done! Its high time for Mr. Sharif to return into politics and lead the nation in a time of crisis, chaos and turmoil. I hope and pray that Mr. Sharif won’t let the Pakistani nation down. Amen

12. Imran says:

It is something extraordinary in the Legal history of the world that Supreme court has ruled against its own decision. Seems in this petition technical points hasn’t been considered. Having said this, if petitioner hasn’t ordered to divert the plane then who has done it and under whose orders it been done? Also, during the arguments petitioner’s advocate pointed that Mr. Prime Minister didn’t give any direct order and then it was just an diversion of plane to another city. Its still not understanble why would they needed even to divert the plane?

13. Riaz says:

I believe it is a good start. i would like him to become next prime minister. Nawaz Sharif has alot to celebrate but he must not forget his reponsiblities towards federation and other provinces. we all know that rights of the smaller provinces specially Baluchistan have been often ignored. it will be his responsibilities to bring along all the political force togather on issues like provinical autonomy with creating smaller units, NFC, economy, terrorism, just mentioning few of them. most importantly restoring the 1973 Constitution to its original form.

14. Pro Public Bono says:

I am sorry to write that instead of making Pakistan strong throwing stones from ‘Glass House’ it is not advisable .
    One should put aside the differences as Pakistan is passing through terrible time , we must all be united and get rid of uncertainties.Work together like true Muslim.History will not forget the personal sacrifices.
    Thank you.
    God Bless Pakistan.

15. Ashfaq says:

Welcome the decision

Everyone knows Nawaz Sharif is a leader, he wants to work for the country and not for outside powers.

16. Tahir M says:

Musharaf must be accountable as no one should be above law in this land of pures.

17. Abir Ahmad Ansari says:

It is certainly good news for the Muslim League Nawaz. Now that Nawaz Sharif has been acquitted, he can contest elections freely and enter the National Assembly. I believe that once Nawaz is a member of the National Assembly, then only he will take up the case against Musharraf. The decision that has come today by the Supreme Court was bound to happen. And the way things are going with the government, with people thinking that the current government is continuing on the guidelines of the Musharraf era, it might not be long before Nawaz Sharif comes into the political scenario since he is supported by everybody. We will have to wait and watch how the politicial scenario shapes up in the coming days but one thing is for sure that it is not going to be an easy road from now on.

18. Jaffar says:

In America They have Obama Biden, Jonny Cash and Bob Hope.
    In Pakistan We have Chauhadri Zardari Sharif, No Cash and No Hope.

19. Meengla says:

Looks to me like Nawaz Sharif is slowly getting all he needed to get to the Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly while giving political ‘concessions’ to the federal govt. in the form of mild support for the military operation.
    Once NS is entrenched in the National Assembly he will bargain hard to remove the 17th Amendment and to bring Musharraf to ‘justice’. That would serve NS’s political goals.
    Question is: will the army sit idle while Musharraf is dragged to the courts?

20. Ajmal Khan says:

Nawaz Sharif shall never join the PPP Govt because by doing so PML(N)shall be considered as a partner of the currupt practices of the present Govt and thus he shall lose the vote bank which can give him a clean and sure victory in the next elections whenever these might take place or make give way to Musharraf to come again.

21. ARIF HUSAIN says:

VERDICT WILL CLEAR THE WAY FOR BOOKING MUSHARRAF AGAINST ARTICLE 6A OF THE CONSTITUTION.

22. Nadeem Ahmed says:

Congratulation to Mian Sahib, but…
    Next election? Are you kidding. Where they will hold it, In UAE or in England? In Pakistan, no Election and no International Cricket. Bye, Bye..

23. SA says:

I see a progressive and Prosperous Pakistan under his leadership. May Allah give him wisdom and courage to lead us out of this situation (Ameen).

24. A.Khan says:

It remain to be seen how the events take turn now, on one side we have Independant judiciary and on the other hand an ex-dictator……interesting !

25. Justuju says:

PML (N) has a tendency of revengeful politics. The long time tussle between Benazir and Nawaz is a testament to this. PML (N) Leaders are also a hurdle in a possible amalgamation of all the segments of the league.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement