Pakistan’s greatest chocolate hero

Pakistan’s greatest chocolate hero

Decades after films such as Armaan and Doraha were released, the debonair Waheed Murad remains a treat to watch. An exceptional actor who had a screen presence that his leading ladies envied, Lollywood’s quintessential chocolate hero died 26 years ago today.

The early death of this educated and talented actor and producer was one of the major blows to an industry that now lies gasping for air. Murad was born on October 2, 1938, in Karachi and news of his death on November 23, 1983, left many eyes brimming with tears.

He starred in 123 feature films and earned 32 awards for his unmatchable performances.

Whether Murad was making a smooth entry in Armaan singing Ko Ko Korina or flirting with Shabnam as he followed her (rather stylishly in a red convertible) crooning Kuch Log Rooth Kar Bhi, songs were an essential part of his image. To pick from his repertoire of immortal melodies is a difficult task.

Here, Dawn.com lists its top 10 favourite Waheed Murad hits. Let us know which one is your favourite?

Ko Ko Korina from Armaan (1966)

Akele Na Jana from Armaan

Jab Pyar Main Do Dil Miltey Hain from Armaan

Kuch Loag Rooth Kar Bhi from Andaleeb (1969)

Haan Isi Mod Par from Doraha (1967)

Bhooli Hui Hoon Dastaan from Doraha

Mujhe Tum  Nazar Se from Doraha

Tumhain Kaisay Batadoon from Doraha

Ae Abre Karam Aaj Itna Baras from Naseeb Apna Apna (1970)

Dil Ko Jalana Hum Ne Chor Diya from Mohabbat Zindagi Hai (1975)

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

93 Responses to “Pakistan’s greatest chocolate hero”

1. Lalesh says:

My phuppo’s are still crazy about him!!! and we hear more stories of him than our own family history!!!
    “Ae bre karam aj” and “ko ko korina” are my favorite. Thanks to my phuppo’s!!

2. jonny says:

The eighties was a great and wonderful era to have grown up in or lived in!

3. Sarah says:

He came from a a highly educated and distinguished family, a fact not publicized during his glittering silver screen days.

We will always remember him with fondness and affection even as we celebrate his unique, passionate and creative contribution to a the golden days of Pakistani cinema. Its truly amazing how alive he is in the hearts and memories of many even today.

4. Pradip says:

“Mujhe Tum Nazar Se” is, to me, the best song of the bunch though I loved the metaphor of “Abr e karam” as well.

Growing up in India, we never knew of Pakistani movies and until Mehdi Hassan came to India in the early Eighties, we did not know the music either. In fact, it was only later that I discovered that Hasan was a movie singer as well and in fact I knew of the Do Raha song, thanks to him rather than the movie hero, who seems to be the biggest thing of the time, reading the comments here but Waheed Murad, a handsome man, was not known to us – a shame!

The other interesting thing of course, watching the You tube videos, was the affinity of the Indian and Pakistani movies in that epoch, including the hip swinging dance around the debonair man.

5. KhanJi says:

Waheed Murad was my favorite hero at my teen age. I always went to see his movie whenever it released in cinemas. He was the best in picturing the romantic songs.

Although his emotional dialogue delivery was never at his best but other kind of scenes he picturized in the best possible ways. May Allah grant him Jannah.
    Amen

6. ASM Jahangir says:

I remember how hard I tried to ape Wahid Murad’s hairstyle when I was a teenager. He was an icon, an epitome of a romantic hero.

Correct me if I am wrong, Heera and Patthar was his first movie as a hero. Zeba played the leading female role in the movie. I still remember a romantic song Waheed Murad gave lip to in that movie – mujhe ek ladki se piyar ho gaya. It became very popular among the young folks.

As far as I recall, Waheed Murad went into deep depression as his popularity plummeted. He started using drugs to ride it out. Drug and depression led to various health complications, which eventually caused his early demise.

Wahid Murad will stay alive in the heart of the people who were young during the peak of his career. This unforgettable star infused romanticism in our mind in a way only one or two others did. I wish him well in his life hereafter.

7. ashraf Mirza says:

Indeed Wahid Murad was an excellent Actor and almost every one loved him.
    I was a Teenager and I had my hair style and dress just like Wahid Murad and people use to say I resemble him, look just like him.

May God bless you all and bring PEACE and LOVE in Pakistan.
    Ameen

Ashraf Mirza (Memon)

8. knocking says:

This guy is not handsome. He was an average actor that is all.

9. Usman says:

If he would have been alive he would have enjoyed fame like Amitabh bachan is enjoying in this old age. And if he was in his younger years in this era he would have been greater than Shahrukh Khan! Pakistani industry has sunk many of the talent in the gutters! There is no level of appreciation here. We have exported permanently many of the greatest talents to Indian industry just because of not giving them an opportunity. For example, Mohammad Rafi, Yousaf Khan aka Dulip Kumar, Adnan Sami Khan and many more!!!

• Vivek Sharma says:

Mohd Rafi was from Kotla Sultan Singh, Punjab, India, part of Amristar Dist.

Yousuf Khan aka Dilip Kumar – Being born in 1922 & as the family relocated to Mumbai in the 1930s and in the early 1940s, much before he even thought of becoming an actor…

Adnan Sami – Adnan Sami was born, brought up and educated in London, United Kingdom. His father, Arshad Sami Khan was a pilot with the Pakistan Air Force and a Pakistani diplomat and his mother hails from an Indian Muslim family. Sami began taking lessons from Pandit Shivkumar Sharma when visiting India during his school vacations. Indian singing legend Asha Bhosle spotted talent in a ten-year-old Sami at an R D Burman concert in London, and encouraged him to take up music as a career.

Any More !!!

By the way he lived during the periods of Amitabh, only that he did not grow old with him, had the same period, maybe as you said he did not get exported to India (regrets).

Don’t you have anybody like Shahrukh, why do u want to wake up the dead now… ;)

10. In such a young age Waheed left us, from his death day, when we were kids, I feel a vacuum, I haven’t seen that kind of soften in any other Pakistani hero, Nadeem Sahib has given us also class but people like Sultan Rahi and Shaan destroy word cinema, its sour but a fact, so Waheed still heart throb, people still love himand talk him that would be real charisma and after Muhammad Ali no doubt he was our super star.

11. Uzbekfriends says:

Waheed Murad was Indeed a name of an era. He was not only popular in Pakistan but also in Uzbekistan. He is the Only Pakistani Hero known in Uzbekistan. His Film Saiqa was hit at Box Office and still when you talk about Pakistani Films people immediately tell you about Saiqa Film. Uzbekistan is a country where Indian films and Hero’s are talk of every Home. But Our Waheed Murad was the Hero who put us in the Map of Film Industry across the Iron Curtain Region. In Last Few Years not a single Pakistani Film was released in Uzbekistan which is the true Indicator of Quality of Lollywood.

12. Zainab says:

How did he die, and why is he called a “chocolate hero.” Did he munch a lot of cadbury stuff or what?

13. Rana says:

We miss you.

14. Babar Khan says:

Waheed Murad brought a new trend in Pakistan Film industry and carried it through with great success.
    A very good actor indeed.

15. zaheer says:

R SYED ZAFAR MAHMOOD wrote “the greatest hero of the film industry of the subcontinent.” are you sure?

Don’t decide yourself on everything Dear sir.

16. Bilal Akbar says:

Pakistan is alive Until Waheed murad will be alive in our hearts.

17. Samia says:

His family is Alhumdulillah doing very well. His son Adil Murad is married, has an adorable son and is into production and acting, recently starring in a soap on GEO channel.
    His daughter Aaliya Murad is also married and settled in Karachi. His wife Salma Murad also resides in Karachi and is an active socialite and into politics as well.

18. I wish that PTV may celebrate Waheed Murads anniversary with full joy and telecast a film on his life and also show his films on TV at least two on every week. I love his style and action. I am lover of Waheed. I watch his films with great interest specially his songs.

“Tark-e-ulfat Ka Sila”

“Eik main he bura hoon baqi sub log achay hain”

I always wait for the date of his anniversary

May God rest his soul.

19. Farooq Akhtar says:

One of a kind. He was a gifted hero with great screen presence and also utlized his skills and presence to it fullest potential resulting in memorable performances over more than 100 films. Would like to know how his family is doing?

20. Wahee Murad is Great Hero. Wahid Murad my favorite Hero. He will always live in our hearts.
    He will always be remembered as the most romantic and the chocolate hero in Film industry of the subcontinent.

May Allah bless his soul.

21. Rehana says:

Very Very excellent remarks for hero
    Waheed Murad.

Thank you.

22. Samia says:

Waheed Murad, for us Veedu Taya!

An epitome of gracefulness and charisma first, a leading silver screen actor later. Having read various opinions and remarks here, I would just like to say that everyone has his/her own likes and dislikes, but being judgmental about the fact whether he was a good actor or not and whether he was handsome or not, I think that’s pretty unfair on those people’s part who are saying such things.

He was one person who made his mark in the film industry, one person who is even remembered and discussed by generations that came years after, one person who left numerous classics for our grand parents, our parents and us to cherish. Those who are not fond of them, don’t watch them, its that simple.

I think his distinction and eminence is very well evident from the fact that through this blog so many of us have already remembered him and media has celebrated his 26th death anniversary in a remarkable manner!

You’ll always be remembered Veedu Taya and we’ll keep on loving you and praising your work!

23. kaangeya says:

With a hero like Wahid saab how did the Pakistani movie industry lose its way? What an awesome talent. Wish he was here today. I would say that Pakistani TV finished the Pakistani Movie Star.

24. nadir says:

Wahid Murad, felt good to remember that tragic great actor, but like the rest of Pakistani society, we must not forget what led to his demise.

I vaguely remember a rumour/story that Murad was rude to a labourer/peon in the studio, one who then went on to become a giant star of Pushto cinema.

Similarly, the rise of Sultan Rahi as super star in Pakistani cinema was the beginning of the end of urdu movies in this country.

Wahid Murad, Muhammad Ali, Nadeem all giants of Pakistani cinema, had one thing in common, they were sophisticated, cultured and dignified. Alas, those traits are not honoured in Pakistani culture anymore. Today only crude, rude brutes who rule all levels of Pakistani society.

Sad but true. Just turn on your TV and watch any channel.

25. Benawa says:

Elegance, refinement, and youthful exuberance personified!

My favourites are from two of his lesser
    known movies: (1) Ik nai mod peh laiy ahay-ehn halat mujhey (from,”Ahsaan”– in which Waheed serenaded Zeba on the telephone), (2) Rassai Ho Gai hay (from, “Afsana”)

To Raj Makin: This is no occasion for a history/geography lesson, but “Taliban” are
    a spillover from a war-torn Afghanistan–
    Waheed Murad, on the other hand, was a
    genuine Pakistani item. And like Keats said,
    “A thing of beauty is a joy for ever.”

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement