When apathy strikes

When apathy strikes

The call for a nationwide strike on Friday, January 1, 2010, given by several religious and political parties and councils to protest the Ashura carnage and arson in Karachi could have hardly come at a worse time. Dozens lost their lives and limbs in the suicide bombing (?) claimed by the Pakistani Taliban (?) – there are question marks on both accounts because the police have not confirmed either. Moreover, thousands of families were deprived of their livelihoods owing to the arson attacks on businesses that followed the bombing as law-enforcement personnel reportedly looked on. Now it seems that we are also bent on denying the daily wage-earners their livelihoods by calling for a shutter down and a wheel-jam.

Where has reason gone? Is this the ideal way to start the New Year after all the grief and loss that people have suffered in 2009? Do you support the call for the strike? Or do you think the country’s financial capital should resume normal functioning as soon as possible?

Murtaza Razvi is the Editor, Magazines, at Dawn.

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

102 Responses to “When apathy strikes”

1. uzma says:

I do not support the strike. It will only add more misery to the people.

2. javed jadoon says:

Even living away from Pakistan. Our heart is in Pakistan, seen this kind of drama which took place in Karachi, it is not acceptable, and other thing is all this people who were burning shop’s are in the video, now why can’t our government arrest these people and punish them right there, when they were burning every thing, while all the shop owner will watch them. If our government can not do this, then they don’t deserve to run Pakistan.

May Allah protect the whole world. Ameen,
    Jadoon,
    USA

3. Adil Jadoon says:

People who went around destroying other people’s property are no better then the terrorists themselves. Shame on all who were responsible and they should have been dealt with severely. As for the strike it is another useless notion to hoodwink the masses.

4. Ahsan says:

In no way does a strike support any cause of what ever magnitude. Tell me of one developed country where people strike to get their demands met. We need to stand fast and work hard, which is the basic problem of every Pakistani. People try to find an excuse not to work. Shutting down businesses is only going to kill the fledgling economy. Only if we ever understood the motto of our founder. Work, Work and only work is going to pull us through.

5. Sheikh Jamal Uddin says:

2009 was the year of bomb blast in Pakistan. From Khyber to Karachi world witnessed the different blast, but there were no reaction throughout Pakistan. Why in Karachi we faced that reaction. Karachi is the business hub and I think to punch down the Pakistan economy our enemy did it, everyone knows, but we are not accepting the truth. After the incident Sunni rehber council Mufti Muneeb ur Rehman firstly announce the Strike and definitely it is not the solution. Instead of some sort of rally or Quran Khawani in Masajid why every party supported for that.

It will effect directly daily wagers to wait further another day for bread earners or it goes till Monday.

6. Zafar Hussain says:

Wheel jam strike is a bad idea. If people want to help those who have suffered. They should donate money. To facilitate the collection, the government, red crescent or Edhi can establish an account for this purpose and media can advertise the account number. Political parties should not be allowed to amuse the tragedy for their benefit.

7. Bikak says:

Enough is enough. No more strikes on call of religious parties. We know these religious parties do not enjoy voters support. This is high time to declare Pakistan a democratic republic State.

8. Zafar says:

I do not support the strike call. What good is going to come out of it. Is this going to bring the culprits who committed the dreadful act to justice. No what it will surely do is cripple the already battered economy of Pakistan.

It is amazing that Ulemma and politicians realize that Karachi is the heart of Pakistan and yet they are asking for the Heart to stop beating. What does this do to the body? All of you who are in support of the strike know better.

We shouldn’t give in to what these pathetic terrorist want and that is to stop living. So many precious lives were lost. The whole nation weeps yet we shouldn’t give in to these religious fanatics. Our country must stand up and show them that we will never give up and this is our Pakistan.

9. Khurram says:

I don’t support this strike. Lost wages, lost sales, lost taxes to the govt. I can bet all the mullahs and ulemas calling for strike will not give any donation to feed the hungry or to help the rebuilding process. They are just trying to flex their political muscles.

10. m m hanji says:

True, a strike achieves nothing for me if I am not affected directly by the carnage and the mindless, cruel, and wonton destruction of the life and property that was dealt to the innocent that horrible day. But then, for those affected, a show of solidarity by the society and the ektha that a peaceful strike demonstrates become a vital source of solace. If I were to go by economics alone, I would oppose a strike. But life is more than rupees.

11. Vikram says:

Strikes only cause suffering to common people and should be avoided.

12. Farhat says:

CCTV footage clearly shows that shops were put on fire by those who were attending the Ashura Processions. It is sad the Karachiites themselves destroyed the economic center of their own city. Residents of Peshawar, Pindi or Lahore did not react like this. I do not support this strike call. Rather, people of Karachi should reflect on this tragedy and until menace of Talibanization is not controlled, all processions, including Ashura should be banned through economically important districts for some time.

13. mohammad akram says:

One needs to ask them if they are only their to serve the religion what part of religion preaches to deprive a poor person of daily wages. How many poor families will go without food, medicine and milk for their babies. We the readers of DAWN claim to be educated. Are we really?

14. Anti-hatred says:

A strike is a negative form of protest because it leads to fear and loss of earnings. There are other ways to protest which are more positive. How about a day where all that is discussed is tolerance and peace at schools. How about a mass rally by the citizens of Karachi in support of peace to show the Taliban and other extremists that we reject them and all that they stand for.

15. S.A.Khan says:

Call for strike is another way to falter production and enhance social deprivation.

In my way of reasoning the solution lies in promoting liberal religious values. Society
    being vigilant and watchful against the religious extremists. Any suspicious activity should be brought to the notice of the law enforcement authorities and challenged by the local civil society.

All this could be achieved with out strike hindering production.

16. Ajaz says:

Mr. Murtaza Razvi I’m in total agreement with you and your readers who oppose this strike. The call for this strike is totally inappropriate at times like this, we need unity to show these terrorists, the enemies of our nation, That their tactics would not divide us and will not disrupt our lives.

We stand together in sorrow with our shia brothers, sisters and all the innocent victims of this carnage and others. We should pray for them and provide for their needs and comfort.

I Wish happy New Year to all Pakistani and all the people and nations around the World, may God bring us peace, happiness, health, prosperity and show us the light to become better human beings.
    Amen!

17. Muhammad Rab says:

No.

18. Kamran Zuberi says:

We’re striking on the first day of the New Year. This is a sneak preview of what’s going to happen all year long next year. I for one am with all the victims of the Ashura procession carnage, and also with the poor people deprived of their livelihood by the “angry mob” and “unknown miscreants” (it’s a wonder how they’re always unknown).

But shouldn’t we show our love for our fellow countrymen and love for this land of ours by resolving to work harder. Strikes aren’t good for the economy at all and it’s in pretty bad shape already. We should also show the terrorists our resolve isn’t weakened and we’ll keep on fighting for our way of life.

19. SD says:

I agree the strike is not the best way to address this situation. However, I am loss to think of another way to express the public outrage when you clearly see the security forces standing by doing nothing when thugs are killing people and destroying property. Of course I reject the call for a strike, but with corruption in all facets of government, tell me where can an ordinary citizen go for protection of his/her life, honor and property?

20. Nader says:

Nationwide strike is not the right to show solidarity. Who are we hurting by doing so? Our own selves. There are millions of people in the country live on daily wages. A food for thought for our think tank.

21. anand singh says:

Instead of going on strike, a better signal would go out if normalcy is restored ASAP and then pressurize the Govt. to act on / prevent such acts by fundamentalists.

22. rashid says:

What’s the point in a strike? I agree with some of the bloggers – fight these terrorists by going about your work in a normal fashion, show them that they do not scare us and we will not be cowed by their actions. If these people can contact news agencies so easily why is the reverse not true? Why can these calls not be traced and their hideouts bombed out of existence. Also on of the bloggers has suggested that procession etc. should stay out of business areas, quite right, if people need to demonstrate their religious fervor perhaps the city area can arrange for a designated area. Let’s be practical rather than emotional. If security risks exist why provide an easy target given that security agencies do not do much to protect. Evidenced by the CCTV footage.

23. M Khan says:

What’s the point of a strike? Who benefits from the strike? It’s time for us to really do an introspection and identify what’s ailing our society instead of these superficial actions.

Maybe hold a huge rally on a weekend to remember those who were killed and to condemn the acts of arson and rioting after that tragic incident. The problem is that our nation is too fragmented.

24. Syed Nasr says:

Yes strike must be supported.

25. F Khan says:

I do not support this strike. I think a curfew on Ashoura and not allowing any procession could have saved all of us this trouble. But then do we like simple answers?

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement