What next for Pakistan cricket?

What next for Pakistan cricket?

The Pakistan Cricket Board has dropped a bombshell: Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Shoaib Malik, and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan have been banned. While Yousuf and Younis have been banned indefinitely for causing in-fighting, Malik and Naved will only be eligible to play for Pakistan after a year.

Meanwhile, Shahid Afridi’s ball-biting antics have landed him a six-month probation and a three-million-rupee fine. Kamran Akmal and Umar Akmal have also been fined three million and two million rupees, respectively, for their tantrum-throwing and injury-feigning episodes during the Australia tour.

These punitive measures have been taken right before Pakistan is set to defend its World Twenty20 title in the West Indies in April and May.

Do you think the bans and fines are too harsh or too lenient? Will Pakistan be able to defend its title successfully without players like Rana Naved and Shoaib Malik on the field? And who will take on the troubled side’s captaincy? Salman Butt? Abdur Razzaq? Or dare we say, Shoaib Akhtar?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

220 Responses to “What next for Pakistan cricket?”

1. Syed Ghazanfar Abbas says:

I am so pleased that finally – under pressure from the NA Standing Committee, and the general public a bold decision has been imposed on these cricketers – who like politicians of the country have been “fighting” amongst each other and were un-aware how much public and specially kids of this country were suffering. I wish, and pray that decisions are implemented. Change the whole team – what so ever – losing next 2 to 3 series / cups does not matter.

2. R Judd says:

While I agree that drastic action was needed to be taken to stem the rot and to set things right within the Pakistan cricket team, and I also agree with the decisions regarding the bans and fines – However I cannot help wondering why PCB allowed matters to degenerate to the point that they were forced to take such actions.
    Over the last few years, its been painfully obvious to the general public that all is not well with the national cricket team and eventually, something was going to give…. and yes it eventually did. How come the cricketing authorities were oblivious to such stuff happening under their noses? What was their role? How come no heads have rolled?

It is common knowledge that there isn’t much unity in the Pakistan cricket team. Each member of the team is interested in shrouding themselves in individual glory and enriching themselves fabulously in the process, regardless of how it may affect teammates or the performance of the team as a whole.

Who is to blame can anyone guess? – but I certainly hope that we can make a fresh start and build a new team that not only performs and plays selflessly for the country, but also project a positive image of Pakistan as sporting ambassadors while being the much needed role models that the youth of our country can look up to and emulate.

Wishful thinking? maybe, but rocket science? Definitely not.

3. anwer says:

Wrong decision.

4. Engr.SM.Junaid says:

I am being a veteran first class cricketer/former (PCB) Match Referee supports PCB on this.

• Engr.SM.Junaid says:

Inzimam be made captain like Bobby Simpson did in1977-78 for Australia.Be brave Inzi,express your availability….Shoaib Akhtar be mad his deputy.The combination with youths can be send ship sailing.

5. Mahrukh says:

Our nation and our national cricket team seems to be suffering from one and the same problem; inferiority complex. We depend too much on certain individuals to perform so that the rest of us can bask in the glory and the limelight brought about by their efforts. As a result, these people are pressured and pushed to the limit such that they begin to act irrationally and behave in a manner that is not becoming of their character or stature. Such is the case in this scenario. Yousuf, Younis and the rest of the players are examples of this theory and have thus been punished for their actions. Whether the imposition of the bans or fines were right or wrong, one cannot say. However, the expectation that bears fruit from this development is that possibly the rest of the team members will concentrate on improving their skills and talents and eventually emerge as excellent players. Australia is one of the best playing teams of the world for this reason. If one or two of their players are unable to play, then the rest of the team does not fall apart like ours does. They take the development in their stride and play for their country, thus excelling in their game. Hopefully, all things remaining constant (case in point: if PCB does not overturn its decision) these developments will bring out the best in our team and help them prosper.

6. S.A.AHMED says:

The fines are fine but banning the players is a little too harsh except for the case of Shahid Afridi. He deserves to be fined and should also be banned for at least one year and should never be given the captaincy; for bringing shame to the country by cheating. He has done this before and the board should give a very strong message to all the players that cheating in any form will not be tolerated.

7. azher alam says:

I think an independent committee should be appointed by PCB (including judges/Technocrats/Ex-Cricketer etc) to probe the matter. The committee appointed is not independent in decision making.

What are PCB’s findings ?

Who is now a captain Razzaq or Sohaib Akhtar? As rightly pointed out by Sohaib Alvi in his article please find a wicket keeper from Karachi.

8. adnan says:

The problem is not with the players but the problem is PCB. PCB doesn’t function like an organization.

9. Ashok Sai says:

Unfortunate for ‘Yo Yo’, at least PCB could have made internal arrangement so that, they themselves announced their retirement from all forms. Surely, they did not deserve this kind of treatment. It may affect young players motivation to give 100 percent to the country. I think both Younis and Yousuf has allot to offer to Pakistan cricket off the field.

10. Shoaib says:

The core issue, both with the PCB and the cricket team, is leadership. Organizations are managed and run by leaders not technicians. One may have the knowledge of cricket or technique of cricket or ideas but this does not necessarily means a leader should have these elements only. Look around the world of cricket. Teams who has strong leaderships are winning. Ponting, Dhoni, Vettori, Smith, all these are winning captains and they all have one thing is common, their own performances. Leaders lead from front and show the path. Non of our recent captains performed well consistently. Imran Khan was a good leader because he lead from the front. He himself could change the game and at the same time rewarded performances. He knew how to assert on team mates in fairness. Now look at some of failing captains; Yousuf, Younis, Malik. All of them performed miserably. Akmal should not be only blamed for Sydney debacle. Yousuf as captain should have performed to win that match solely by himself if he wanted others to respect him. Making centuries does not make players great, but winning matches make player and leaders great. I think either Afridi or Abdul Razzak should be made captain of Pakistan team as both players in their individual capacities have consistently performed and can demand from others to perform. It is rubbish to say we need separate structure for T20. Captain should be good enough for all formats. Afridi or Razzak can perform in test, ODI, and T20. Wake up players and leave your egos and perform for Pakistan. You all are talented and capable of winning any game but you have to stand behind your captain as one, no matter what differences you have. Good luck in T20 World Cup. InshahAllah we will defend the cup successfully or at least fight till end.

11. Sohail says:

Well it seems like Pakistan Cricket Board is about to repeat same mistakes.

I believe they wiped out all strong contestants and provided the lay off for those who needed bigger punishment then they got by PCB panel. I am talking about Akmal’s brothers. What they have done is a serious offense, and should be banned at least for a year. Afridi, Shoaib and Rana’s punishment is OK, but didn’t understand the nature of crime done by Yousuf and Younus, if they are being penalized then board members should also be in the same line.

12. Asit Ghosh says:

I am from Mumbai and hence giving you a typical mumbaikar’s perspective of the present rumpus in Pakistani Cricket. Pakistan lost the ODI series 5-0 to Australia and NOT to Kenya or Zimbabwe. Other than Afridi, who does not mind cheating to win a game, the rest seems to be hard done, Muhammad Yousuf in particular. In a game like cricket, the captain should be supported by the officials or otherwise you are likely to encourage group politics. To say the captain had bad influence on the team is wrong, it doesn’t put PCB or the selectors in good place. For chomping on the ball, Afridi should have been banned for a year. But then banning Afridi might have caused imbalance in the T20 world cup team, to be announced shortly. So where does that leave officials of Pakistani Cricket : Do something drastic.

13. iqbal says:

This was long overdue. PCB has been too lax and letting indiscipline go unpunished for a long time.

All players must be told that they represent the country and not themselves. Their egos & interests should be left behind. PCB must not let any political pressure affect this decision.

No one is indispensable. We have lots of talent in the country and these so called superstars need to be put in their place. We will find lots of Umar Akmals who will be sincere.

PCB should formulate a code of conduct and be strict in enforcing it. No exceptions must be allowed.

14. Sheikh says:

I think they are too harsh. For LIFE ban (Or UNSPECIFIED TIME) they have to have a very good reason, just FIGHT BETWEEN them is not an enough reason. Afridi, when he has been punished already – and they didn’t consider it to be more serious then TWO match ban- why we have to punish him 2nd time. All said that we have to do something to CLEAN things up but not WIPE the whole team.

15. Pervez Khan says:

Extremely poor leadership and management by PCB. They are projecting their own failures by imposing such punishments. Mr BUT should be replaced for letting things go so wild.

16. abdul qadir malik says:

I think the ban is fair.

17. immi says:

I think its too harsh. Its all politics in cricket board and cricket committee and the target is Younis Khan and Muhammad Yousuf. There is no respect for senior players and great players in Pakistan. We should condemn the ban on Younis Khan, he’s just out of form these days.

18. ali says:

I must say that its right that our beloved cricketers were irresponsible, and damaged country’s reputation. But this punishment is too much.

19. Zeeshan Ali says:

All Pakistan needs is a strong leadership and direction in Cricket Board. Leaders like Noor Khan and Arif AliKhan Abbasi are still missed. I would say overall decision is not right. Players need to be respected and Captain is suppose to be given full authority in order to deliver. One cannot deliver if power is shared. PCB Chairman along with Mr. Yawar Saeed supported grouping against Younis and now they are responsible for the current situation. All should have been on right track if PCB had supported Younis and thrown out players like Malik, Akmal and others. PCB should immediately lift the ban on Yousuf and Younis.

20. ali b says:

To make the clean-up complete, Ijaz But and his gang should be sent home and asked to stay there.

21. Bahadur Ramejo says:

i think the future of our cricket is destroyed i don’t know players are doing so

22. Saira Khokhar says:

Remove PCB Admin and let Imran Khan run the board; he can change the things around in cricket. Let him bring his team to remove corruption in cricket and put the team in right direction. He can be helped by Ramiz Raja and Javed miandad in cricketing matters of the board. We should put professional people at other positions, where you need professional people

23. Saira Khokhar says:

Remove PCB Administration

24. sayed says:

Pakistan cricket is gone now. Poor management, poor leadership and indiscipline.
    Soon it will start to compete with Zimbawe and Afganistan.
    Wasim Bari and Ijjat butt should learn from Indian cricket.

25. Abdul Jabbar says:

The punishment to players is too harsh. Afridi and Akmal borthers deserve puishment for bringing bad name to Pakistan. However we do not know reason and logic for banning Mohammad Yousuf and Younus khan . However Shoib Malik has played politics and always invloved in grouping and I agree to puishment awarded to him.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement