Remembering Faiz

Remembering Faiz

Born in 1911 in Sialkot, Faiz Ahmed Faiz became one of Pakistan’s most prominent and beloved poets of all time. Faiz lead an interesting life from the very beginning – his education included religious studies from the age of four when he began memorising the Quran, attended the Scotch Mission High School while at the same time, learnt Persian and Arabic, taught as a lecturer in Amritsar and then enrolled in the army and served for five years.

Faiz is one of the most quoted poets in the country these days, which is a vindication for the gentle soul who was once decried on this very land as a traitor for siding with the oppressed. Today, he also gives expression to the aspirations of the very groups which had openly opposed his thinking, which was as pro-people back then as it is now.

Here, Dawn.com invites you to join the discussion on one of Pakistan’s greatest poets – which poetry of Faiz do you cherish most? Was the poetry of Faiz really ahead of his time?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

69 Responses to “Remembering Faiz”

1. آیا ہمارے دیس میں اک خوش نوا فقیر
    آیا اور اپنی دھن میں غزلخواں گزر گیا
    سنسان راہیں خلق سے آباد ہوگئیں
    ویران میکدوں کا نصیبہ سنور گیا
    تھیں چند ہی نگاہیں جو اس تک پہنچ سکیں
    پر اس کا گیت سب کے دلوں میں اتر گیا
    اب دور جاچکا ہے وہ شاہِ گدا نما
    اور پھر سے اپنے دیس کی راہیں اداس ہیں
    فیض احمد فیض دی گریٹ

• Aqeel Abbas Jafri says:

یہ نظم فیض نے اقبال کے لئے لکھی تھی، آپ نےانہی پر چسپاں کردی۔

2. MaulanaShakespeare says:

My fav and apt for the current situation in the country!

Speak, your lips are free.
    Speak, it is your own tongue.
    Speak, it is your own body.
    Speak, your life is still yours.

See how in the blacksmith’s shop
    The flame burns wild, the iron glows red;
    The locks open their jaws,
    And every chain begins to break.

Speak, this brief hour is long enough
    Before the death of body and tongue:
    Speak, ’cause the truth is not dead yet,
    Speak, speak, whatever you must speak.

3. Soul of a Rebel says:

My favourite

Ku’ch Ishaq Ki’ya Ku’ch Kaam Ki’ya.

Who Log Bohat Khush Qismat Th’ay,
    Jo Ishaq Ko Kam Samujhty Th’ay,
    Ya Kam Say Aashqi Karty Th’ay,
    Hum Jeety Jee Masroof Ra’hay,
    Kuch Ishaq Kiya Kuch Kam Kiya,
    Kam Ishaq Kay Aary Aata Ra’ha,
    Or Ishaq Say Kam Uljh’ta Ra’ha,
    Ph’ir Aakh’er Tang Aaker Hum Nay,
    Dono Ko Adhoora Cho’d Diya’.

English Translation.

Loved a little, Worked a little…

Those were very fortunate people,
    Who considered Love an obligation,
    Or they just loved their task,
    I remained busy all my life,
    Loved a little, worked a little,
    Sometimes love was a snag in the way of my work,
    While sometimes duty didn’t allow me to love with passion,
    Ultimately I got upset of the situation,
    And left both my love and my work incomplete.

4. Faiz is no doubt an everybody’s poet.He is so gentle,kind and leaves an indelible impact at the sametime.He is a natural poet having the power to reach the people.Every couplet of his is a source of solace to the betrayed hearts.People still remember each and every verse of his poetry because of its humanist message.I personally have not merly read out Faiz but lived his poetry.Every word of his poetry have had a strange impact on my innerself.

5. Wasif says:

A lovely tribute to Faiz. He was indeed a great poet.

• Zulqarnain Jaffery says:

Shaery ka aik chamakta, damakta hua CHAND – jis ki roshni ham urdu parhne walon ke liay hamesha sukoon ka baaes hai !!!

Faiz Sahib ka aik qataa mai aksar youn parhta hun aor hamesha lutf andoz hota hun (Sab se maazrat ke saath) …

Raat youn dil main teri MEHKI hui yaad aai

Jaise weerane main chupke se bahar aa jaey

Jaise sehraon main holay se chale baad-e-naseem

jaise beemar ko be wajha qaraar aa jaey

—–

Aor Faiz Sahib ki mehak hamesha apne ird-gird mahsoos karta hun …….

6. MaulanaShakespeare says:

aaye kuchh abr kuchh sharaab aaye
    us ke baad aaye jo azaab aaye

baam-e-miinaa se maahataab utare
    dast-e-saaqii me.n aaftaab aaye

One of the greatest progressive poets in the world!

7. OnlyoneFaiz says:

His poetry spoke of romance and revolution. Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who was born on Feb 13, 1911, exactly 100 years ago, was respected equally on either side on the border. His birth centenary too will witness year-long festivities both in India and Pakistan.

In Delhi, celebrations include dramatized readings from his letters written in prison to his wife at the India Habitat Centre on Sunday (Feb 13). There’ll be poetry recitation by Gauhar Raza and Sohail Hashmi on Tuesday also at the Habitat. On Feb 25, Jagjit Singh and Pakistan’s Tina Sani will sing Faiz’s poetry in a programme co-organised by Routes 2 Roots. This will be followed by a symposium and mushaira at FICCI auditorium on February 26. (TOI)

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement