Is Tendulkar a match-winner?

Is Tendulkar a match-winner?

Shoaib Akhtar has done it again. He is the centre of attention, managed to invite some controversy and started a debate that perhaps did not even cross the minds of cricket fans.

“I think players like Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid weren’t exactly match winners to start with, nor did they know the art of finishing the game,” Akhtar said on the eve of his book launch in India.

The auto-biography titled “Controversially Yours” is Akhtar at his candid best, and besides Tendulkar many personalities and cricketers come into the cross-hair.

But undoubtedly, the claims putting Tendulkar under the spot-light have managed to ruffle the most feathers, with most experts terming Akhtar’s words as nonsense.

While some members of the press have termed Akhtar “the sales man of the year”, some have put the claims against Tendulkar under the microscope.

The Indian legend’s record speaks for itself but is there any weight behind Akhtar’s claims?

Dawn.com invites its readers to give their view and suggestions.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

203 Responses to “Is Tendulkar a match-winner?”

1. Ahmed says:

I think you guys are confusing match-winning to the role of a player in the team. Tendulkar opens the innings – He is expected to give the team a good start and bat right through the innings. He has done that more times in the history of one-dayers than anyone in the game.

Guys like Bevan and Dhoni are supposed to come at 5 or 6 and finish the game. They do their job well.

This doesn’t mean Sachin isn’t a match winner.

2. Fahad says:

Tendulkar is the greatest cricketer to have ever lived. One has to realize that throughout Tendulkar’s career, he has played under a team whose bowling attack has always ranked really low compared to other test playing countries. It has always been India’s batting who have brought them most success. And Sachin was a key component of that batting line up from the late ninteties to the early 2000s. Sachin has won India countless number of games.

If India had a bowling attack who would have done marginally better outside India, Sachin would probably be ranked an even better player. So one has to look at it from all angles.

I am a Pakistan supporter.

3. Ankit Mehta says:

there should not be any question mark on sachin’s ability. Playing international cricket for more than 2 decades with impeccable records. I think Shoaib is nothing in front of sachin. His comments doesn’t hold any weight & by making such comments he has decreased his dignity.

4. Waseem Ahmad says:

Wins or losses, Tendulkar plays his part. Cricket is a team game, and Tendulkar’s efforts need to be complemented by the rest of the batsmen as well as the bowler for India to win. You can’t blame Tendulkar for the losses that India as team suffers.

5. Amar says:

Loved to see positive/negative but true reactions from all Pakistanies. Most of you seem to regard Tendulkar very highly and the main reason behind it is the gentleman that Sachin is who never used any expletives on the field or off the field, doesn’t create any controversies. Similarly in India we respect Wasim Akram, Imran Khan and love them. Gentlemen but competitive instinct at heart are always loved by even arch rivals is the fact.

6. Sharat says:

Well Sachin Tendulkar was the Match winner in both 2003 World Cup and 2011 World Cup matches against Pakistan.

Would someone disagree ?

7. Fifty Fifty says:

Good debate but can some here define a match winner ? One who scores 10 runs off the last over or someone who scored a century to bring the target that close and got out in 45th over ?

Those who criticise Sachin have failed to produce a single convincing argument. Has most fearsome bowlers like Wasim Akram, Imran Khan, Waqar Younis, MaCgrath, Brett Lee, Allan Donald, Courtney Walsh have ever said Sachin is afraid of them ? Sachin is a complete batsman and you can play with statistics as much as you want however the matter of the fact is this that Sachin started his career by baptism by fire- facing the most fearsome pace attack of Pakistan in late eighties facing likes of Wasim Akram and Imran Khan and mind you he was not even 16 at that time. He is a born cricketer. No bowler can claim that Sachin was afraid of him in his career over a period of over 20 years. You can’t claim something based on your feeling.

• Master Plaster says:

Difference between a match winner and match looser:

– a match winning batsman will make 50 odd runs on the last 30 balls to steer his team to victory

– a match looser will waste 100 balls for his centuries of centuries just for his personal glory at the expense of defeat of his team

I hope that you would have known the difference now.

8. Maulana Diesel says:

Tendulkar is one of the best batsman ever produced by the world of cricket. Am no fan of cricket but whenever I found him playing, he has simply been tremendous. Tendulkar has always been a match winner, comparing him with any Aussie or good cricketer is not fair. Tendulkar always lays the foundation and Indian cricket capitalises on that. It won’t be possible for him to carry the bat and take the innings to logical end. We had Mudassar and Zaheer Abbas, their slow run rate has at times diminished the chances of winning. Hope one agrees.

• liaqat ali says:

Sachin is one of the greatest batsmen ever.Case closed.Shoib could have been more honest.I saw Shoib bowl to Tendulkar at the skydome in Toronto andSachin literally murdered his bowling.Perhaps Shoib never forgave him.

• Raj says:

I am from India, Tendulkar is the greatest batsman, but i dont think he is a match winner. We Indians must be open to criticism.

Match Winners are Dhoni, Miandad, Akram.

• NASIR KHAN says:

Zaheer Abbas was never A SLOW “SLOW” run getter. learn ur cricket and then comment.

9. vijai says:

I will not agree with Shoib but he has the right to express his opinion. He has bowled to Sachin, played with him and he might have found something in sachin but he has not thrown any insult. let us accept crticism with grace.

10. Janjua says:

I believe Shoaib Akhtar is absolutely right in saying so… Tendulkar is a good batsman and there’s no doubt about that with all his centuries but he’s not at all a match winner.. I’ve seen him failing at the right moment and whenever he nears the finish line he somehow fails to cross it..

11. jssidhoo says:

Hopefully Shoaib will be able to sell some of his books

12. Afzal Mir says:

Tendu is one of the best we have seen in cricket. He is a gentleman on and off the field unlike Shoaib. Shoaib you need to learn a few good habits from Tendu

13. Sachin says:

Tendulkar has highest number of Man of the match awards in all forms of the game. Don Bradman thought Sachin plays like him. Lara, Shane Warne have called him the greatest. I think this settles the question.

Akhtar knows that anything with Tendulkars name on it sales like a hot cake in India. Real cheap tactic by him to sell his book.

Wasim Akram has given him fitting reply and it would be good if people stop giving any attention to this absolute loser.

14. Farhan says:

Shoaib Akhtar (Punjabi, Urdu: شعیب اختر; born 13 August 1975 in Rawalpindi, Punjab) is a former Pakistani right arm fast bowler in cricket, who is regarded as the fastest bowler in the history of cricket.(Wikipedia)
    I am a great fan of Shoib, bowlers like him born once a century.
    Sachin may have made great records but i do’nt know why i am not impressed by him, i think anyone who will play so much cricket, can make records.
    He has been given lots of chance.
    Many times he remained flop for long time, but still got the chance to play.

• Anup says:

Please provide some numbers rather than just emotions.

• DK says:

Wow! Did u forget the worldcup in 2003 when Sachin settled directly to dictate who is the match winner? How come Shoiab still has guts to claim Sachin as not a match winner when he was the one who settled it for India on world’s highest stage? How abt the Pakistan series where in he scored heavily and won the series for India? Shoiab is not even a best bowler of his generation and why do one need to care for what he says?

• Mathew says:

That 200 also just because of playing so many matches? hehe….Dear frind Bradman,VIv,Lara,Ponting all says he is great then who buys your opinion?…You just search quotes about tendulakr in google..It is so sad that people are jealous just because of his nationality

• anurag says:

Dear farhan, you are not impressed may be because is an Indian. Sachin may not be match winner, but if some one says he is not impressed, its raises doubt. The bias is undoubtedly there in the people of pakistan and india. Our greatest challenge is to remove this bias is all the fronts. We should start appreciating each other and build an environment where both the countries and prosper joining hand.

• Fifty Fifty says:

“i think anyone who will play so much cricket, can make records” Is it so easy ? Why your rawalpindi express got derailed in less than 5 years ? Illegal bowling action, dope, girls, ball tempering, beating up team mates, late nights, controversies- what good he brought for Pakistan ? He could not even bowl even 10 overs at a stretch. Yeah I know he was a fast bowler but he was a poor athlete. He would have been better off being a wrestler. He still has to rely on criticising others to sell his book as there is nothing good he can write for himself.

15. Roy says:

Hey Guys… Its very easy to find if he’s really a match winner. Don’t you Pakistanis or any other country playing against India feel they have a better chance of winning if Sachin is not playing? I as an Indian gets a bit nervous if Sachin is not playing or if he gets out early. We dont have to see the statstics… we all know his class. Pakistanis should know this more than any other country – Pakistan has lost all the world cup matches against India and Sachin has been a part of all those matches.

• Imran A. says:

Actually no… it doesn’t really matter if Sachin plays or not… the rest of the Indian batsman always manage to get double figures and it all adds up. Somebody like Vivian Richards was a match winner. In order to be a match winner, you need to have aggression and take action when needed. Sachin goes with the flow, he does not change the tide. In any case, I wonder how will perform in the next matches now that he is on the spot light.

• sohail says:

I think Indian take sachin more seriously than Pakistani while playing against India. especially Pakistan bowling attack get smacked more by other batsman than sachan. I consider him one of best batsman of cricketing history but not exceptionally challenging to Pakistani bowling attack. I found sehwag more demaging and match wining than sachin playing against India. I respect indian’s feelings towards sachin and would not like to offend them. I wish people should let shoaib express his opinion, there are lot of guys I know consider sachin great player but not big match winner.

• Atif Bukhari says:

Well, Roy!
      I don’t think that including or excluding Tendulkar in the playing-11 would impact our thinking. When it comes to India and Pakistan, individual players loose their significance. The last time India visited Pakistan, during the Lahore ODI, all higher-order Indian batsmen were out early, but Pakistan lost at the hands of Muhammad Kaif. Likewise, while playing against India, the most insignificant players like Salman Butt and Misbah ul Haq appear to be match-winners for Pakistan. So……it’s not about fearing Tendulkar….In fact, have a look at the recent track-record of Tendulkar against Pakistan. You’d realize that he hasn’t done much against Pak, so……in a matter of speaking, we enjoyed his inclusion in playing-11, because we always knew he won’t disappoint us and fall prey to one of Razzaq’s simplest straight deliveries!!!
      (with due respect to Little Master’s extraordinary skills and his power of entertaining the world)

• amir says:

Pakistanis worry about sehwag than tendulkar. Even if tendulkar scores a century india mostly loses that match so no we are happy to see him

16. FT says:

If you do not like the messanger no problem but atleast the message is true. Current Indian Match winner is like Dhoni. There is a difference between a class player and a match winner (Tendulkar is of course a class player) . I would say the only difference between Lara and Tendulakr is both are class players but Lara is or has been a match winner where as Tendulkar has not. This is not a sentimental thing rather a true fact.

17. MMoiz says:

Shoaib you are no one to comment on Tendulkar or as a matter of fact any individual or cricketer. Your entire career is filled with controversies in terms of your commitment, attitude and discipline. You should focus on ways of improving your-self, reprimanding others instead.

• Naeem says:

You are so out of this leauge. Shoaib has every right to express his opinion just like you have. Or do you think that you have special priveleges?

18. Foqi says:

No doubt he is a good batmen, but gotta agree with Akhtar that he is/was neva a macth winner…

• matta says:

that is false what about 2005 worldcup where shoab was beaten to pulp ? and pakistan lost the match with india?? sachin played with leg cramps he didnot finish his 100 runs but becuase of him india won the match, that year it is dravid who helped india to reach finals.
      this just one example there are many more

19. Iqbal says:

Compare the statistics of Sachin Tendulkar and Michael Bevan… you will know that Tendulkar was not a match winner….

• Vinay says:

Mate, BEVAN batted lower down the order, so he has finished a lot of games. Tendulkar opens the innings. his work is not to finish the innings, his work was to lay a foundation… and his centuries show he’s done a great job of it!!

• Sachin says:

Do not forget to compare Indian and Australian teams at that time. Also please compare their stats in Tests.

20. Khawar says:

I think, Shoaib Akhtar is absolutely right in saying that Tendulkar has never been a match winner. A simple analysis of his innings can prove this fact. I am following his career, throughout since 1989 when he entered the world of cricket and hadn’t seen him playing a single match winning innings.

• Sachyn says:

Then how come Sachin got the highest number of man of the match awards in cricketing history! Because the basic logic is Man of the Match award is given to that player who played a major role in winning that match. Isn’t that true??

• anand says:

i wonder how much cricket you follow! a single match winning inning??
      you imagine any batting record and it is there on sachin’s name.he has more number of man of the match awards than some of the hit pakistani players’ international appearances!! he has given tough times to bowlers of two generations. he gives nightmares to the topmost bowlers of world. i don’t know what record you follow?

• Durgesh Nandan says:

Really did you watch India/Pakistan match in South Africa?

• karthik says:

how about the double innings that sachin played in Sharjah 1998?? how can you forget that??

21. Amjad Butt says:

Shoaib comments against Tendulkar in some extent are correct, i am from Pakistant but i like Tendulkar more than Shoaib.

22. Afab says:

You cannot let the sheer volume of games played by either one of these players dilute the entirety of their match winning and crowd pulling abilities. Sachin has played an excessive volume of games, wherein he has got out on ducks and has scored centuries that have both ended in losses and wins. Similarly Shoaib has had games where he has conceded 60 runs for no wicket and conversely taken 5 wicket hauls cheaply. So in terms of match winning ability both possess this.. to label either one of these players as match winners or otherwise is an injustice to the supportive players that have provided the backdrop and justification of these performances. As such cricket is a team game, NOT a 1 man show…

You have to have reasonable accusations, not impulsive rantings that only serve as a publicity gimmick.

• Yoda says:

Totally disagree. Match winner is one who can turn the match upside down and win irrespective of supporting cast. Like Lara playing a lone battle and beating Aussies while scoring a hundred odd run with number 11. Or Wasim Akram taking a bunch of wickets when the opposition is chasing a low total.

I think Shoaib had that. He could take the opposition down irrespective of the score his team made or Kamran Akmal. For the number of matches played, Tendulkar has few instances of such brilliance.

Point in case the English tour this summer. Not once did Tendulkar came out and won the game or even drew it for India. Dravid tried and did a good enough job. But there was no last man standing AND DELIVERING from Tendulkar. Which is what a match winner does.

23. Engr. Ali Ghafoor says:

no doubt ,tendulkar is a good batsman but he is not a match winning player. Rahul is dravid is really a wall & match surviving player. bt MS. Dhoni is really a match winning player. He is the best player.

24. Ragu says:

Any top order batsman in a team lays the foundation to a good score. Only when the bowlers have run thru the opponents, the top order can form the winning score. In cricket, their role is always to score and lay the basics. It is like arguing that the first runner in relay do not win the race, only the last runner. In football, one who hits the goal is a winner, but the halfbacks & defense carry the ball and set them up. Even in basketball scorer can only score when the other members create the space for him to run thru.

So the point that Sachin is not a match winner is irrelevant.

25. Mustafa says:

If only he had not got out in Chennai Test against Pakistan in 1999 Sachin could have become a match winner.
    Great Sachin has always been good at accumulating runs but could not score under pressure or score to win matches . But a great batsman nevertheless!

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement