Jinnah’s dream and the reality

Tomorrow marks the 65th independence day of Pakistan. The country has witnessed many conflicts, victories, triumphing moments and political dilemmas, however, many people across the globe still believe that the country is far from achieving the ‘paradise’ that Jinnah and his team aimed to establish.

With a history of coups and constant battle of power amongst different state institutions, coupled with anarchy and militancy, Pakistan has failed to harbour political and economic stability.

Jinnah dreamt of a secular state where minorities and Muslims could live congenially but given the current state of affairs, including forced conversions, fundamentalism and sectarian violence, have Jinnah’s dreams materialised?

Are the rulers and policymakers of Pakistan working to create the country which was founded on the grounds of humanity and coexistence?

Are we, as common citizens, working in our own capacity towards a better Pakistan and society where rights are mutually accepted and respected?

And most importantly had Jinnah foreseen the contemporary Pakistan, would he had ventured out to create a separate state for Muslims?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

99 Responses to “Jinnah’s dream and the reality”

1. Zaheer Rana says:

Pakistan as a nation-state has failed miserably on every account & hope upon which it was founded. The founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah, himself belonged to a minority sect of Islam, and as such had every hope & intent that muslims of Greater India would survive better in a secular state of Pakistan – than if they were living under a hindu dominated majority. Instead, what we witness now particularly since 1974 that we have created a havoc for minorities of all stripes and India has emerged a far better secure secular nation.

• Rahul says:

yes i totally agree with you. If pakistan stayed with India then its people would be much progressed than in current state of affairs now. Look at Indian muslim their life styles is much more improved than their counterpart in pakistan. Here no discrimination against muslim in large. I can say this because i have many muslim friends and we are good friends. Its Jinha who created pakistan for his ego clash with Nehru.

• Nasser Ali Khan says:

Rahul has got the facts wrong. India is overall only marginally better than Pakistan economically. The poorest in India are much worse than the poorest in Pakistan. The fact is that both nations are poorer than the average African country. There is big discrimination against Muslims in jobs etc. Close family members cannot visit Pakistan as they would immediately lose their job or suffer job discrimination if they work for the state. The riots that Muslims, Sikhs, and Christians have suffered and still suffering are all well documented.

• Sharique says:

I disagree.. Muslims in India live below powerty line and are in much worse situation in Pakistan..

I am living in Germany and this has been told to me by several Indian Muslim colleagues.

No education and no basic rights!

• haris says:

I have been told this by my non-Muslim Indian friends.

• Avinash says:

Sharique, there is no discrimination in India based on Religion. Every one has got equal opportunity to get educated and persue their trade/calling. There may be Muslims as well as non-muslims living below poverty line but that has got nothing to do with the Country as such. No govt, any where in the world, can spoon-feed every section of the society. It is the responsibility of the individuals to strive for improving his and his family’s lot.

• Ramesh Manghirmalani, California says:

agreed

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement