YouTube’s selective block

In the aftermath of protests against the anti-Islam film “Innocence of Muslims”, Pakistan’s prime minister ordered the immediate shutdown of the video-sharing website YouTube on Monday.

Youtube said it will not remove the clip which has offended millions around the Muslim world, however, it has blocked access in countries such as Libya, Egypt and most recently, India and Indonesia where violent protests have remained unabated.

In its Friday statement, YouTube said that outside of Libya, Egypt, India and Indonesia, the video will remain on its website. Pakistan and Bangladesh both blocked access to the site late Monday.

The decision by YouTube to not remove the clip is fine as it states that the video is clearly within their guidelines. But then that brings us to the question that why block it in certain Muslim countries and not in others? Is the level of violence the deciding factor here? Because if it is, then that may send across the wrong message to the protesting masses – the message being that extreme violence could achieve results.

Resorting to violence shouldn’t be an option at any time – regardless of what the provocation is, for the lives of innocents are at cost here. It is unfortunate that the sentiments of millions are being played with by an individual or group with no regard for religious sensitivities but then if the question is turned over to free speech, should YouTube not be impartial here?

Crowds are already volatile and vulnerable – is being selective about blocking the clip in certain countries a prudent decision on YouTube’s part?

Don’t other countries have the potential to turn further violent in the aftermath of these protests or will blocking the website calm down the masses to a certain extent?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

72 Responses to “YouTube’s selective block”

1. mudassar says:

I am very glad that PTA banned YouTube in Pakistan and why Google is not blocking access and i tell u a important thing that Google is working for Imran khan ( PTI ) in social Media and in many things why Imran is not saying any thing about this i think he is not a true Muslim he don,t have spirit and passion for Islam and Muslims.

• shah says:

I am very glad that PTA banned YouTube in Pakistan….AgreeD

• NG says:

WOuldn’t it be more effective to ban internet itself? And English education? And just stop all flights going out of the country? If thats done, I am sure nobody in Pakistan will have to live with such issues.

2. Agha Ata says:

The main question is not that who wants to see this movie or who doesn’t or which country is allowed to watch it and which country is not, the question is . . . why is this movie there in the first place? Why was it made?

• NG says:

Because some idiot had $5000 and wanted to make a movie, he went ahead and made a movie. There is no dearth of people in pakistan who would be happy to make and see a movie where Hindu or Christian gods are insulted.

Religious hatrade is common for all humans. 90% of adults on this planet Earth hates religion thats not his/her…so such things are going to happen.

Religions teach distrust and such movies are the outcome of such distrust.

When Muslims think that Hindus are not to be trusted and when Hindus think that Muslims are violent and when Christians think that Muslims are terrorists and when Muslims think Christians hate Islam….people will continue to make such stupid movies.

The sad reality is that religions hate each other and as long as such hatrade exists, insults towards each other will be plentiful.

• Fayzee says:

Mr/Ms NG, you did not name any movie made by, as you say people in pakistan, who have made any movie where Hindu or Christian gods are insulted.. Kindly check before you pen down anything and do not mold the facts. The fact is that a Muslim will never denounce any other prophets, be it Christians or Jews etc..

• Waltair says:

Absolutely. Today it seems that anything is an excuse to riot. Has anyone been forced to watch this movie clip? Does the movie or any other information stop people from forming their own opinion on any topic. Abrahamic religions are aggressive notwithstanding an professions about being peaceful. The clash of civilisations has merely moved into the media. In Pakistan one need only look at school text books that preach religious hatred instead of tolerance.

• mc duffy says:

i disagree on one point. no muslim or pakistani wants to insult hindu or christian god/s. many numerous films have been produced against islam but not a single one was made in revenge by any muslim.

• ganz says:

There is still a clip on youtube where a muslim girl breaks the idol of elephant god ganesha with a hammer. Innocense of muslims justfied.

• Falcon says:

@NG…I agree to a certain extent with your root cause analysis. However, just wanted to bring it to your attention that Muslims are forbidden from making fun of or disrespecting Gods of others. Furthermore, just so that you are aware, Islam, Christianity, and Judaism fundamentally believe in the same God. Muslims respect all of the prophets. You will never see a Muslim disrespecting Jesus or Moses because that would put him / her outside ambit of Islam.

Lastly, it is not religions that teach hatred, its love of one’s own self that leads a person to hate others. Religion is just a facade in this exercise. You will see plenty of such people across all religions (including Islam).

• Dad says:

NG
        You are right – Really do not understand what has gone wrong with the people. My schooling was in a Christian Missionary school there were Muslims, Christian, Hindus & Parsis same was the case in College and University, we never differentiated we were and remained friends and enjoyed our friendship which remains to this day even after 35 years. Zia started it all and now the Mullahs are carrying on with his mission.
        Hate is like termites it eats you from within.

• Tahir Alam says:

I think, in human history, majority of wars have been fought on reasons other than the religion.

• hafeez says:

I do agree with you. in most muslim majority countries we donot treat non muslims accordingly and no wonder they hate us.
        lack of communication and lot of mistrust between different religions.

3. Adeel Abbas says:

Google has not blocked access in countries such as Libya, Egypt and most recently, India and Indonesia for the violent protests have remained unabated, it was mainly for the advertisement and profit that could be effected if these countries would block access to youtube. “Paysa bolta hay”

• sanjay says:

no reason to block you tube people have problem block that video

• Asif Khan says:

Absolutely true: If the access to the site is blocked completely, then no one can watch and Advertising revenues decline. Lets say you made a movie and censors competely blocked it from screening, you will make zero money on it. If the censors remove a few scenes and show the movie you can make money on it. It is as simple as that.

4. Chris Cork says:

I think it may be because of something called ‘mutual legal assistance’ and the absence of a ‘treaty’ between Google and the Pak government.

5. Vgp says:

For your kind information it is not blocked here in India, I can still view it here without problems

• pakistani says:

Maybe, in with more pressure the gov of India will ready to take that step. with a pop of country like India of 1 billion it will matter a lot to Youtube authorities and their views will dramamtically fall down.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement