What does Iran’s border closing mean for Pakistan?

What does Iran’s border closing mean for Pakistan?

Dawn.com invites its readers to discuss current affairs in this forum.

On Sunday, Iran closed its border with Pakistan at Taftan. The decision follows a suicide bombing last week in Zahedan, which killed 25 people and left over 125 injured. The Iranian government’s decision has led to the suspension of trade in the region, causing tribes on both sides of the border to suffer food shortages.

What are the political implications of Iran’s decision to close its border?

Is this the first step towards the regional isolation of Pakistan owing to the possibility of militancy spreading beyond its borders? Are regional militant groups trying to stoke sectarian tensions (Jundullah claimed the Zahedan bombing)? Or is Pakistan getting caught up in US-Iran relations? Iran has implied that ‘interfering powers’ be held responsible for the suicide bombing and analysts are suggesting that Iran’s decision is a response to the diplomatic and military connections between Pakistan and America in the context of the war against terror.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

153 Responses to “What does Iran’s border closing mean for Pakistan?”

1. Goraya says:

Nasha u seem to b perturbed by the release of Hafiz saeed too much. if any body has any proof of his involvement in any terror activity, he should and must be punished so heavily that no body dares to do it again anywhere in the world BUT THERE IS BIG BUT, I REAPEAT BUT if there is no proof or u don’t provide proof to honorable courts than im sorry u cant dictate your will to the courts ,by mere media campaign and publishing few stories in the media. what is the authenticity of all which appear in media. am i right to say that only credibility is that it is being branded by Indian media so it is right. i don’t accept this bossy attitude at all rather would resent it. Is this the way largest democracy of the world respect the decision of the honorable courts. Even if supreme court of Pakistan does not provide u relief go to ICJ but stop vilifying malicious media campaign. Atleast dont defame the essence of largest democracy of world on which ur very proud.
    im sorry for offending any body.
    Thanks

2. Keti Zilgish says:

I would like to thank Sayed Athar Husain who says on June 3rd, 2009 at 4:59 am that Pakistan should copy Iran and enforce the death penalty. Iran is a very great place but the mullahs there have conspired with i don’t know whom to reinstate the death penalty that was resorted to immediately after karbala and has since proved to be a complete failure wherever it has been practiced.
    A lot of people in Pakistan have created false pictures in our minds of both Iran & Saudi Arabia. Shias are saying that Iran is a paradise because of the mullahs there practicing the death penalty and therefore some sunnis, forever willing to compete with them in this holier than thou game are now trying to recreate that paradise in Saudi Arabia & if that is not possible for the time being because of oil then at least they should do so in Pukhtoonistan & Punjab but preferably, if they can, in the whole of Pakistan and thus make themselves eligible for the real paradise.
    If the death penalty is the idea of paradise that the muslims of this world have then they are simply lending their support for the view that paradise was meant for fools.

3. Keti Zilgish says:

Concerning what Wasim Salik says: June 3rd, 2009 at 4:22 am: With similarly ‘noble’ intentions this prescription was tried by Adolf Hitler & it led to the carpet bombing the world has seen and the subsequent rebirth of a very different Germany. Must the people of the Indus Valley go through the same agony for the rebirth of a very different Pakistan?
    Do you think it might be wiser to take a shortcut?

4. Khalid Usman says:

Pakistan has no option but to eliminate Taliban terrorist and other out fits like Jhudullah from Pak soil. Army must act to eliminate these groups with the help of elected representatives.

5. Indian says:

After going through all these comments and suggestions I did not get one thing, if the people in Pakistan are such understanding and moderate then why the country is in a turmoil? Is it not kind of contradictory?

I also get this idea that Pakistan blames each and every country for its problem except itself. And you get the answer where the problem is using logic.

I do want that the Pakistan govt. with honesty (and I mean it) deals with this trouble till the end (an example is how SriLanka destroyed LTTE).

6. abbas ali says:

Very hard to hear Iran warning Pakistan.Shameful!!!
    The leaders are in deeeeep slumber.By the way to those folks seeing this thru islamic prism-need to know that Iran has used religion to much less extent over the last 3 decades leading to significant progress in many areas including space and nuclear theatre.It is way powerful as a stable nation compared to Pakistan.Its role models are India and China. Good job by Pakistan policy makers-their woes never seem to end.

7. Keti Zilgish says:

Concerning what Anwar Kureishi says: June 2nd, 2009 at 7:18 pm we must understand that our problems with Iran, India & Afghanistan our entirely because of the 14 centuries of Shia-Sunni conflicts in Islam. Terms like “Sham-e-Ghariban” give hopes to the Working Class. The Sunnis are desperate to catch on. I remember a Shia friend who once mentioned to me that in 61 AD Imam Hussain was one of the richest of his age in that he owned all the date trees along the road from Hejaz to Damascus. In modern terms like “Class Warfare” we have much to clarify amongst the conflicting interpretations of Islamic history at our disposal that we have inherited thanks to the carelessness practised by our various colonizers. If we get bogged down in Islam now that won’t get us anywhere. Strife has reduced Islam to a hornet’s nest.
    China: dumping Pakistan with substandard goods it could never sell in America because, thanks to labor struggles, the consumers in America are organized. China is one of the most polluted countries in the world because its industrialization is coal-based. Americans, on the other hand, are struggling to wean themselves from coal. If we get into coal just because China pretends that it would be in our interest to do so we can say goodbye to whatever little bit we have left of our environment.

Meaning its a fine line we have to tread, finding new enemies and friends. “We must leap from the realm of necessity to the realm of freedom” that can come only from “Mutual Aid” and NOT from competition.

8. Indian Kashmiri says:

Aziz Mirza says:
    June 2nd, 2009 at 6:30 am

I think what Mirza sahib said, I completely agree and support.

Religion is a personal thing, but Nationality is not. As he rightly said, India could be a model for all other Islamic nations, where there is no religions extremism and people are accountable for what they do, be they Hindus or Muslims.

Pakistan has become a hub of terrorism, I sincerely pray that sense prevails. I see South Asia as one nation, for our prosperity
    we must re-unite.

9. Feroz says:

Iran has been requesting Pakistan to dismantle Talaban from early 90’s and we didn’t pay any attention and look what has happened and now they have closed the border because of Jindullah and we are not doing anything about it, as if we don’t want to have good neighbors. Instead we want to say” oh, they hanged Sunnis” What are we, a nation bent on blaming others and doing nothing itself. Why don’t for once blame ourselves for change. We have not educated our masses and have been suppressing our Media all along . All we been trying to make everyone believe is that as a nation we have no will and we can only act as a puppet and naturally all attentions are towards the puppet master, Where as real puppet masters (Our own leaders)been plundering us and isolating us from other world.

10. indian muslim says:

To Mr. Aziz mirza and thinkalike man from india.I m also an indian based in delhi.What Mr. mirza is saying is nothing but indian propoganda.In india muslims r the third class citizens after dalits.Muslims are 1% in govtt. jobs,almost1% in private sectors and same in army.Recently only 30 muslim candidates r selected in parliament.Muslim constitutes between the range of 15 and 20 percent,yet we r in pathetic conditions.Muslims live in ghettos.I can tell about delhi, they r living in batla house,zakir nagar,abul fazl, okhla vihar in the worst of conditions.They cannot do construction activities in muslim and mind u Mr. Aziz mirza muslims r always muslims first and last.Islam don’t teach us about nationalism.In the words of Allama Iqbal”In taza khudaon mei bara sabse watan hei jo pairahan iska hei mazhab ka kafan hei”.

11. Gautham says:

Ratan:

“…many Indians have a strong sneaking like of Iranians, regardless of what the Americans want or think. They are an old Indo-European culture…”

I agree. I was infact very annoyed with the movie ‘300’ in which Persians were potrayed as tribals and blood thirsty. If anything, it was quite opposite. Persians excelled in Arts, Architecture and Maths.
    A black man was potrayed as Persian king in the movie but we know Persians had different complexion and features.

Anyway, that’s besides the point but just thought I corroborate your observation on Indians’ liking of Persian culture.

I’m making a clear distinction between today’s Iran and historical Persia here.

12. NASAH says:

Yesterday Mumbai today Zahedan — yesterday India demanded the extradition of Hafiz Saeed — today Hafiz Saeed was released from house arrest — today Iran demanded extradition of Abdul Hamid Rigi — tomorrow Abdul Hamid Rigi will go home. China has already warned Zardari government about Uighur separatists operating from Fata — and for poor Afghanistan no border to violate – only the bottomless “strategic depth”.

What is there to debate — Pakistan can ‘debate’ – till the world freezes – going nowhere except the empty platitudes — the across the border invasions by the Pakistani terrorists will continue with impunity – bringing Pakistan every day a little closer to chaos and disintegration. But then again — after every across the border terrorist attack the neighbors will huff and puff, threaten Pakistan with dire consequences and then the usual ‘sanity’ will prevail on their side of the border while the ‘insanity’ continues on the Pakistan side of the border. Looks like nobody is in-charge in Pakistan — what to talk of the neighborly relations – nobody in Pakistan seems to be in-charge of anything – period.

I think it is high time that — like Mr. Saeed — who was released ‘appropriately’ by the ‘rule of law’ Lahore High Court — Mr. Rigi should also be freed by the same ‘independent’ Lahore High Court – and sent home to his loved ones — instead of being extradited to Iran as demanded by the Iranian government.

13. Vicky says:

Pakistan should arrest all the terrorist group. They are not helping them, these terrorist would destroy Pakistan one day. They already damage Pakistan image in the world on the name of Islam.
    Pakistan dont have any good friends in the world. After USA, India, Afghanistan and now Iran has started complaining about terrorist activity from Pakistan. Pakistan should work very aggressively to eliminate all the terrorist organization from their soil. Pakistan should keep good relation with all the neighboring country. India is a good friend of Pakistan and mother land of Pakistan. India never thinks about attacking Pakistan. India is a true democratic country and they dont want to waste their time in unnecessary terrorist activity and fighting with neighbors. India wants to spend their time in educating their people and become no 1 economic power in the world. So, they dont need to bag money from other country.

14. Karachiite says:

Iran’s distrust of Pakistan has nothing to do with Pak-American ties. After all, the US has far better relations with India and Iran now openly favors India over Pakistan.

Iran’s main concern is the Arab funded Sunni Taliban. It is part of the Arab-Iranian battle for dominance in the Middle East. Iran sees Pakistan as an (unwilling) pawn by Saudi Arabia to encircle it.

The second cause for Iran’s concern is Balochistan, where the separatist movement will surely spill over into Iran. The Baloch movement is funded by India to destabilize Pakistan, yet Iran continues to favor India over Pakistan.

Over the years, the terminally inept governments in Pakistan have blown all credibility and relationships with our neighbors. So now nobody trusts us, and we are perceived as Chinese/American/Saudi pawns.

The only competent civilian leader in Pakistan’s history was Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto. Though he did commit inexcusable actions (like alienating and losing East Pakistan), he was smart enough to cultivate friendships with both the Arabs and the Iranians/Turks, not to mention the Chinese and Russians.

One of his best ideas was to form a union with Iran and Turkey (like European Union). Unfortunately he failed, but the idea is a good one.

15. Siddharth says:

Congratulations to Pakistan for showing they have courage!!

All through the 80’s and 90’s Iran sponsored Shia miltants in Pakistan. Meantime blind anti-India pseudo-patriots stated Urdu is from Persian.

In my opinion reality Pakistan has more than double Iran’s population, has nukes, has more global reach, a rich culture and is more tolerant of ethnic diversity.

Iran’s tormented Sunni Baloch minority can find tolerance from Pakistan. Hopefully Teheran will wake up and allow more minority rights, democracy and moderation.

16. Ratan says:

I think it is nuts for India to “seal the border.” Seal the border how, and for who? All the terrorists who want to come into India are merrily able to walk in today regardless of our decision to “seal the border.” All the decent Pakistanis who take the trouble to obey the law and get visas are blocked from entering: cricketers, businesspeople, singers, relatives, tourists. So, everyone that hates us, we let in. And everyone that likes us, we harass.

Remind me, the point of this is what exactly?

India and Pakistan should have a visa-free regime. It’s the only logical outcome and is bound to happen sooner or later. Let’s do it sooner.

17. Sayed Athar Husain says:

It is terrible how the Yad-e Zehra meeting was blood bathed by the terrorist in Zahedan.What was the intention? Clearly sectarian – a very dangerous trend that has its home in Pakistan.
    The terrorist has risen because of the fear of losing their identity soon in future,because of weakness in their faith.
    So if their faith is weak and flawed, then why keep it and why make oneself a terrorist for it. Some one drive this home in Taliban and Jundullah.
    As far as Iran and Pakistan are concerned, they aught to be friends.This time it is pakistan’s turn to quickly arrest the Jundullah Ameer and jointly interrogate him with Iran.And because of self confession he should be hanged for the deaths in Zahedan.
    Iran today is the beacon of Islam. Look at the statistics of their numbers in Hajj, Ziarat and Umrah and their courage to face the mighty power of the USA steadfastly for so many years and not falter.

18. Isha says:

Ken,
    FYI in recent elections in India, a separatist(I cant recollect his name) stood as a candidate from J&K. He lost by a heavy margin. If people supported his views they could have voted for him, but they voted current govt. That does speaks a lot about their mind.

19. Wasim Salik says:

Unfortunately, it was Iran who first started funding an extremist group in Pakistan. Then Saudi’s reciprocated and started funding anti group to counter Iran’s influence. They both fought their centuries old fight in Pakistan. It was only Saudi’s luck that in eighties US joined him to fight with Soviet Union. They both poured thousands of so called Arab jihadis and millions of dollars into Pakistan and turned Pakistan into fighting base camp. Saudi funded groups destroyed Iran’s funded groups, so Iran had to reduce or even stop its activities of increasing its influence in our land. But who is the ultimate looser? It’s Pakistan who faced unbearable losses for others’ war.
    Our crime is: we let our territory used by others. It not only destroyed our national pride, economy and international image but also trapped thousands of innocent Pakistanis who got involved in this terrorism. Our Army also wrongly thought to take benefits of these elements. Ok it was their tactic but now they should understand that its harms are much more than benefits, so it should never be tried again.
    Hatred and extremism is eating whole South Asia. Look at pashtoon and uzbik hatred in Afghanistan, religions extremism in Iran and Saudi Arabia, Indians and Pakistanis hatred, Sinhali and Taamil hatred in Siri Lanka, Sikh and non Sikh hatred in Punjab, Sindhi, Baluchi and Punjabi hatred in Pakistan and so on. I would ask my Indian fellow: read articles or listen talk shows, news or discussions in India, North America, Europe, Australia or anywhere in the world, where some of the speakers are Indians. Their every word is full of poison against Pakistan, still you believe that Pakistan is not on India’s radar? Or India is a pluralistic society? Look at BJP, listen their leaders whose power lie in hatred with non-Hindu religions and still it wins elections. Does it not mean that majority of Indians are endorsing their views? Does any extremist party or Jamaat-e-Islami ever won elections in Pakistan?
    Where the future lies: Every country in the region, including Pakistan must act upon the policy of mutual acceptance and non intervention into others’ affairs. Pakistan must ensure that its territory would not be used against any other country as well as it will have to stop other countries interference in our matters, through any means. Our government must ensure personal freedom for every individual in the country. At the same time it must hold every citizen to respect law of state. We as a people will have to understand it. We will have to start a movement of becoming a good citizen and the best human.

20. malik says:

Mr. Zafari you must be insane. To close the border Iran needed an excuse and conspired to kill 25 of its citizens. Please stop this. Why dont we accept that there are these jingoistic organizations located in our terrritories who are responsible for all this bloodshed that goes on in India, Pakistan and Iran. They need to be stopped. Period.

21. siv says:

Iranian presidential election is almost at the doors, then all of a sudden “bombs” in mosques and planes. Something very FISHY. Ahamdinejad need more than this for a second term.

22. Raheel says:

It is not important who gets the blame. What has happened has already occurred; it cannot be undone. Both are Muslim countries which in some opinions have strayed away from the course of Islam. It is important to exercise moderation, as was the practice of Muhammed(PBUM. Anytime there is a drastic variance to the left or the right, expect trouble. Education is the key, and proper knowledge of Islam can and will solve all problems.

23. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

At the present, Pakistan should close all remaining borders to stop the possible infiltration; that would also cut the illegal supply routes.
    Human smuggling would also be discouraged.
    As a matter of fact, Afghan border should have been sealed many years ago.
    Iran’s latest action is actually helpful for both countries as both Baloch areas, in Pakistan and in Iran, would remain safer from the evil designers.

24. Ahmad German says:

Very well said Anwar Kureishi, I agree what you said.

25. Zahid says:

It is very well planned conspiracy against Pakistan & Iran. Both countries should realise this fact and try to fight against terrorism which both countries are facing now a days. . . It is humble request to Iranian administration to please please co-operate Pakistan & does not leave Pakistan alone in this war of terrorism, both countries can do well together.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement