Windies or Lankans: who can Pakistan beat?

Windies or Lankans: who can Pakistan beat?

Against all expectations, beating all odds, Pakistan are in the final of the World Twenty20. While captain Younus Khan has said that it doesn’t matter who we play in the final, the team management will sit down and ponder who they’d prefer as their final opponents.

The West Indies are a bit like Pakistan: unpredictable yet destructive. They have players like Chris Gayle and Dwayne Bravo who can single-handedly change the outcome of a match. But when it doesn’t go right for them, it just doesn’t.

A Pakistan-Sri Lanka final, on the other hand, would be perfect in so many ways. The Lahore attacks, the crises both countries are facing and have recently faced and atmosphere such a final would create at Lords, the home of cricket, will make the teams’ meeting memorable.

Who would you prefer to have as Pakistan’s opponents at Lord’s? The spin-against-spin contest with Sri Lanka, or the flamboyant, yet unpredictable West Indies? Who do you think the Pakistan side can beat?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

44 Responses to “Windies or Lankans: who can Pakistan beat?”

1. hussain says:

If it is PK VS WEST IND easier for PK to win the title.All the luck in final.Pakistan really need the trophy for a national boost as things are not all happy at home.The nation really need a win for a moral boost.

2. Nayak says:

i am an Indian but i always enjoyed great PAK players (Akram, my all time favorite) play. it is so much fun when PAK is on song.

i think Pakistan neds moral victory now so that the people who attacked Srilanka team in PAK can be stopped.

right from the beginig, i was betting on Srilanka and PAK final. see, that si what happened. Srilanka also fearless and formidable team.

all the best to PAK and let the subcontinent keep the cup forever.

3. Irfan Rahman says:

Don’t worry about the opposition guys. If the same Pakistan shows up in the final also, we will be the champions. When New Zealand was playing Sri Lanka in the last super 8 game, I was hoping that New Zealand wins so that Pak doesn’t have to play SA in the semi finals. Now I feel it was a good thing we got SA out of the way already. InshaAllah we will win.

4. Salman Ali Rai says:

Definitely i wud wish that pak faces wi in final cz i guess SRI mite get too hot ot handle cz of their 3 ‘M’ factors…..they have got real quality bowling to expose our weak batting…so I wish to see WI in final

cant wait for sunday..com’n pakistan the cup is yours to be taking….take it or rather snatch it in style
    proud of you….just give ur 100% in field….show comitment and i dont realy bother about the results..peace

5. Jeetender Dadvai(India) says:

We know about Pakistan for many years now…they may look a weak team on paper but when it really requires them to win a match they will WIN it. Though I am Indian but want Pakistan to win this final match of T20 World cup to bring happiness to the violence ravaged country.

6. muhib says:

I beleive pakistan will loose which ever side they play against. Sorry.

7. Karim Munir says:

I believe Pakistan can win against any side this Worldcup is ours. Cheers Pakistan.

8. Morbid Isolation says:

Pakistan can beat any team in the final as long as they play to their full capacity. The Windies may be slightly more preferable than the Lankans due to ostensible weaknesses in their batting and bowling prowess. The Lankans have been awesome throughout the tournament but then again so were the Proteas and look what Pakistan did to them.

Bring the cup home boys….!!

9. Ahsan javed laghari says:

I will loe to see W.I in final to pakistan.
    because W.I batting side is much same as pakistan have, but if we will look at bowling, pakistan is ahead of them, W.I have not a good spinner Benn can’t bee much desractive, because pakistan have good spin practice in net session. and edward went in back injury which is looking hard to recover.

If today gayle strikes against SL , then there is chance to pakistan to face W.I, other wise if gayle went earlier then srilanka have good bowling line up to restract them as low as possible.
    and if Sl and PK meet in final that will be hard test for pakistan to face mysterious mendis and murli magic, and SL batting line up is so strong as compare to pakistan, and they are unbeaten through out tournament so for.
    so i and PAK will love to see W.I in final.
    GOOD LUCK FOR FINAL PAKISTAN.

10. azmatsyed says:

In my opinion Pakistan should play with W Indies if we want to WIN the Final
    The previous recrd of Pakistani team is that they can play a game of 120-160 runs
    It will be difficult to win with Sri Lankans

11. Mushba Said says:

West Indie’s are a good team,but they trouble gelling together.Sri Lanka will reach the final for sure,and it will be a thrilling match;we’ll either lose horribly, or win by a close margin,there’s no knowing with the Pakistan cricket team.

12. xEn says:

lankans

13. mansoor says:

i think Pakistan would fancy playing the Windies in the finals, although i still feel that the Lankans are far more superior compared to the Windies are firm favourites to make the Finals

14. Rizwan says:

salaams
    pakistan can beat either of them and loose to both of them it all boils down to frame of mind
    i would prefer pak v sl final
    a good match cricket will definately win
    best wishes Pakistan

15. Shamshuddin Ajani says:

Firstly, Great victory against all odds yesterday. Afridi is indeed a jewel in our ranks and i hope the management gives him the support what he needs to raise the game when it really matters. Like Wasim Akram a big match player. Personally, i would like to see the West Indies in the final as being a die hard Pakistan supporter i feel we have a much better chance in beating them than the Lankans as they have a very clever bowling attack which can creat problems for our batsmen. With West Indies if we can get Gayle early we can really dictate the game and eventually win the Cup.
    Go Men in Green and good luck to all the supporters of our beloved Pakistan!

16. syed abbas says:

the underdogs become liones. pakistan and most of all ,pakistani cricket player we are all proud of you. best of luck in the final.

17. PK vs SL will be perfect :)

18. Hameed Awan says:

Pakistan is unpredictable, they can turn any of prediction wrong. South Africa never lost any game in this tounament untill they faced Pakistan. Windies or Lankans, it really does not matter much. Crikcet will be played at the best of its spirits. all these teams carry certain aroma necessary to plan T20 game. Only India matched on these grounds but they were over confident and they lost.

Sri Lanka has better bowling attack and are a better team than Windies. so probably, Sri Lank would make it to the final.

This world cup would silence the crititics including ICC who has deprived us of the world cup matches.

19. Ali says:

I think We should have final with WI due to following reason.

1.Week batting capabilities against quality Spin.

2.Fielding is not good as SL

3.tendency to become panic in tight situation.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement