Predict the unpredictable

Predict the unpredictable

Cricket pundits never imagined that Pakistan would overcome the formidable Kiwis and South Africans and make it all the way to the T20 finals. Since the experts keep getting it wrong, we thought we’d allow you take a shot at guessing what will happen in tonight’s match.

If Pakistan wins the toss, should they bat or field? What will be the target? Is Malinga going to sling us off the field or will Gul beguile the Lankans? And will Afridi be able to maintain his stellar run and keep his eyes open as he bats? Share your predictions with us.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

156 Responses to “Predict the unpredictable”

1. Ghazanfar says:

Win has always been an oxigen for our nation. Cricket has a special place in our hearts.
    Our tigers have proved that they can amaze the world any time.They can give the hope to hopeless and joy to joyless.Live long cheeto.

2. Rangarajan says:

Pakistan does best when it comes from way behind! Congratualtions to the Pakistani Team and pakistani Fans!
    May you continue to amaze the world with such feats!

3. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Imran Yusuf has almost addressed everyone in this article very successfully.
    Like other games Cricket also provide a chance of winning or loosing.

No more prediction is required.
    This match took very short time to conclude, which disappointed so many people.
    But, good thing is—— no more waiting and hoping.

Finally, a superb teamwork of the Pakistani players have proved to be fruitful and magnificent.
    A golden victory, after 1992, has been achieved again.
    Congratulations to the fans and the nation and most of all to the cricket team.

4. Tariq Mian, Canada says:

Imran Yusuf has almost addressed everyone in this article very successfully.
    Like other games Cricket also provide a chance of winning or loosing.

No more prediction is required.
    This match took very short time to conclude, which disappointed so many people.
    But, good thing is—— no more waiting and hoping.

Finally, a superb teamwork of the Pakistani players have proved to be fruitful and magnificent.
    A golden victory, after 1992, has again been achieved again.
    Congratulations to the fans and the nation and most of all to the cricket team.

5. RV says:

Congratulations Pakistan! I hope this win gives a boost to your confidence and give you a positive outlook to work towards a prosperous nation.

6. Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany says:

The win was just AWESOME! Reminds one of the Miandad six against the Indians in Sharjah(nicknamed as Harjah for the Indians).

7. Pradeep says:

As an Indian, I Wanted Pakistan To Loose. But looking at this I have changed.
    What a wonderful sight to see Pakistan side winning ICC World T20. This is probably the first time I feel so happy for Pakistan. I was one of the many who always wanted Pakistan to lose, the one who wanted Pakistan to be wounded by those enemies of nation.
    But looking at so many happy faces in stands and that pride on the winners face, I’m changed forever. I know I was wrong and only a sahaitaan can be happy seeing his neighbor wounded and lost. I’m sorry Pakistan, you guys deserve all the happiness in this World, you deserve all that a great nation can have. Both of us breathe same air and share same water, so why shouldn’t we grow together, equally strong and fast. We both are strong and emotional, we both are brave and god fearing.
    You were at war on two different fronts, one was fought by your army and another by you cricketers. Both were down and out. Both were suspected, felt weak and both were isolated by the outside world. And on both the fronts you fought hard and proved them wrong. On both fronts you have overpowered your enemy, who was probably more within than an any outsider. I congratulate you people of Pakistan (today I want to call you brother and sisters of Pakistan), your cricketers and your brave army.
    This is the first time I’m praising your army, the army whose prime motto is to fight a war against us. And they have just done that in the past, but should we praise someone if he does something good, just like we criticize them for the wrong doings? I think we should, and if we are not doing that then probably we are further spreading the hate. I hope our armies also work more within our nation leaving their gone in there cantonments, rather than guarding borders. I feel for the families of the Pakistan army men fighting wars in western front and hope for their safe return.
    I call all the people of Pakistan and India to change forever and enjoy common moments of joy and share common grief. It’s so good to see my neighbor happy and celebrating. I hope for the day when he calls me to join him.

8. Sana Mir says:

Big CONGRATULATIONS…! PAKISTAN WON! :)

9. Faiza Mateen says:

On June 20th, 2009 at 9:10 pm, I predicted that Pakistan will win the T-20 World Cup.

The Great Pakistani Players have finally made is possible. Today we are a proud nation.

Thanks to Pakistani Cricket Team Players who waved Pakistani Flag sky high. Read my earlier comments:

Faiza Mateen says:

June 20th, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Pakistan is destined to win the final match, no matter if Pakistan bats first or Sri Lanka.

Cricket lovers should hold their breath to witness the final moments of the concluding match.

Well done – Great players of Pakistan. This time also success is yours.

10. Dr GOHAR SATTAR says:

GEYO TO AISA….HUM JEET GAIYE…..MANY CONGRATULATIONS TO PAKISTANIS…..

11. Ariya says:

The BIG match starts now, and BEST of LUCK to both teams!

12. Ariya says:

Being a Sri Lankan, I’d want our team to win, but even if Pakistan wins, its no problem, for its friends playing the top game! I heard that Pakistanis waved Sri Lankan flags, when we won a match against another team, and that’s lovely! Thanks to your valiant driver,who saved our tea,. we can play WITH you today! I like to take this time to thank the Pakistanis, who sacrificed their life for our team. We are not playing AGAINST each other, but we are playing WITH each other, so let the BEST team win!

One will win, and the other lose, but BOTH are winners, for BOTH are superb teams!

13. Ahmad Hassan says:

Pakistan will God willing outrightly win, provided the team shows unity, keeps nerves and keeps reciting verses from Holy Quran.
    Every team member should feel as if he was to win the match for the nation. Shaid Afridi, no doubt is in good form in all spectres of cricket, he should utilise all his abilities today. Abdul Razzaq is overburdened by expectations. Allah may help him come up to epxectations. Younas should refrain from talking tall and doing little.
    We need to fight life a team whether we win or wehter we loose. after all its a game and v must demonstrate sportsman’s spirit.

14. Nasir says:

I think if Pakistan bat first and post a total of 170 they have a very fair chance of winning the world cup.On the other side if SL bat first and post 170 on the board it will be difficult to chase that total.

15. Akhtar Ali says:

God willing Pakistan will win the final of twenty20 world cup.

Our players are capable of wining the fanal.

I really need to win it because after a long time we will have something to cheer about.

16. umair says:

look whatever people say i think both teams are the best in the tournament and pakistan have recently beat s.africa and that have gave them a hugh confidence so i think pakistan have a definite edge over sl but as a pakistani i hope INSHALLAH pakistan will beat sl. if pakistan bat first or second it dosent make a difference because pakistan have the ability to defend any total. pakistan will inshallah win. PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

17. Sam says:

Of course SL is better team. I think Pak will start good but fail to stand against Mandis and Murali.

We know Afridi is not consistent performer, where as Jayasurya is highly expected to show his best in finals.

For today’s big match my bet is SL.

Let’s see.

18. lala anil kumar says:

what formabidle nz team , all big players were missing

19. billa77 says:

Spin will play a big role in between both sides. It will be an average scoring game around 155. The team with the best bowling discipline should win the game.
    SL keys are Dilshan, both Jaya’s and bowling mendis and murli.
    Pak keys are Shahzaib, Misbah and Razzaq and bowling Afridi, Ajmal and Gul.

Prediction:

If PAK will win the toss and elect to bat and will score 155 to 159/7. But on reverse, SL 165/8.

Excited…you must be…..

20. JOHAR says:

Pakistan seldom win when allow to bate first. Pakistan can not set targets so they should bate second to win.

21. Tariq Alley says:

No need to predict wait and see better team will win

22. aries99 says:

I agree with one of the comments – lets play to the best of our abilities and then leave the rest to Allah Taala.

23. zee jay says:

A lot depends on lala…. but Pakistan can win if they will play as one unit

24. Naeem Manjj says:

I hope pakistan win the toss and bat first.
    They should give the target for 165 to 175 to win match.
    God Bless Pakistan to Win the T20.

25. Sana Mir says:

Hmm… I have a feeling that Sri Lanka will win the final today.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement