Your favourite moments of the game

Your favourite moments of the game

People gathered around giant screens on roads and in front of televisions in hotels and restaurants in all the main Pakistani cities hours before the match. They clapped and danced on the beat of drums at the fall of every Sri Lankan wicket. They watched Kamran Akmal’s opening salvos with bated breath, too tense to enjoy the fact that the openers were playing a safe game. When Shahid Afridi, with his eagle-eyed look and bring-it-on walk, came on, fans dared to hope that there was still a chance, that he was going to be different. And what a difference he made. He made 54 off 40 balls, only two sixes and two fours, and even dived to save his wicket. A moment came on the fourth ball of the 19th over, a perfect Lasith Malinga yorker that Afridi edged on to his ankle, and ran a quick single to complete a remarkable victory. We all cheered, hugged each other, and thronged the streets, thrilled to see our team in top form again – even if Afridi might stay back in England to get that ankle looked at.

Where were you when it happened? How did you react? What were your favourite moments of the game? The most tense? And how did you celebrate? Send in your reactions and wishes for the Pakistani team.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

198 Responses to “Your favourite moments of the game”

1. Jithin says:

As usual, i was supporting the team playing against pakistan.Just like many of my country men :) But this time around it did not matter to me. Two coutries worthy of winning the cup. Both countries going through one of the hardest times in their histories. It was only fitting that these two had to meet in the finals.I’m proud and surprisingly happy to say “Congrats pakistan..And wish you all the best in your War on Terror. Hope you succeed soon.”

2. Saira says:

Congratulations to all Pakistanis….this was for sure will be a great memory for years..

I watched match with my whole family, we did bar b q in Toronto at my sister’s place..My unforgettable moment was when we went to Indo-Pak street and Pakistanis were enthusiastic..whole street was full with families, guys and gals,all were celebrating and doing bhangras screames.. many cars driving in Toronto area had Pakistan flags….ahh such a good reminder of being proud Pakistani….Pakistan Zindabad…

3. Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany says:

I recall two moments that are “out of this world”. The catch Afridi took running from mid-wicket to long on. That was the defining moment which said “Yes, we can”. The other was Guls bowling against New Zealand. It was so breathtaking that Vittori had to find lame excuses. Another defining act of art.

4. Abu Zolfiqar says:

every single minute of it……

happiest day i have had in quite some time.

They all played brilliantly, especially Shahid Afridi.

It’s nice to get good news, especially during these difficult times.

Pakistan is strong nation. And this victory should be a lesson for all Pakistanis that we must unify, work in synergy, and of course work HARD for the favourable outcome.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
    FAUJ PAINDABAD
    Bless all Pakistanis in and outside the country.

-warm regards from Kurram Agency

5. Pakistan Team played tremendous game which was in full control and Sri Lanka appeared totally helpless.

It was an example of huge team effort,sky high spirit and morale.Every player contributed to this huge victory ,with special thanks to Razzaq’s bowling,Afridi’s batting and bowling &Younus khan’s planning .Congratulations to all Pakistani peoples, both at home and abroad.

6. Hars off to the team. You have proven again you are a part of this glorious nationby your effort & hard work with dedication. We all wish this dedication of the win by Younus to the nation inspires us all to do our bits of exxcellence dedicated to our country for its glory.There is no word to exxpress our happiness & congratulate the boys who made us proud & history. May Allah be with you Always in you endeavour for yourself & country Amen. Wassalam Dr.N.A.Siddiqui

7. Mansoor Warraich says:

I was in the middle of Libyan Sahara Desert when i got the news. Actually i was constantly getting socres updates on the BBC website and in 17th over i got a little worried. In 18th over it was catapult moment.I am the only Pakistani working on this project in Libyan sahara.
    I shared the joy my myself only, a beautiful feeling of pride and achievement.

8. Anwar Malik says:

ICC’s has announced World Twenty20 squad which is as follows:

Jacques Kallis (SA), AB de Villiers (SA), Shahid Afridi (Pak), Kamran Akmal (Pak), Chris Gayle (WI), Tilakratne Dilshan (SL), Mohammed Younus Khan (Pak, Skipper), Dwayne Bravo (WI), Wayne Parnell (SA), Umar Gul (Pak), Ajantha Mendis (SL), Lasith Malinga (SL)

We should be proud of our Team players specially who has been nominated as ICC T20 Captain.

9. I watched the live stream of this game on my laptop, while driving around the busy streets of London. At time, I got so tense, that I had to stop the car. Oh brother, I almost got into an accident. My back still hurt from being so tense.
    Great Game and a Good Result.

10. Purush says:

Great Job guys. The team deserves all credit. It is not very easy to be almost being ostracised and then fighting it back to the top. Displays that the people of the nation has have it in them to fight. Go ahead and stamp out terrorism as well and find your right place in the world.

11. Kashif says:

My favourite moments of the game were when Afridi hit six to Udana and when he stood tall after playing the final ball. I think the way Afridi stood after winning the match will never be forgotten by Pakistani Cricket Fans

12. Anwar Malik says:

Congratulations to all Pakistani Nation for having a splendid victory after a long time. Its a timely victory when all nation is deprived by terrorism.

Its our day to celebrate like champions and they (Pakistani cricket team) must be given a warm welcome.

Gul, Afridi and skipper Younas must be compensated as they played vital role throughout the tournament.

Well done Pakistan; Keep it up

13. khursheed Ahmad says:

i love the Pakastaine team we the kashmiri people love all ciricketers of pak.be happy pak. From Kashmir India.

14. Saud says:

For me, the best moment was the win against South Africa. I still cant get this through my head when Umar Gul fired 6 yorkers in an over, that was the best over I have ever seen in the history of cricket. Moreover, Kamran Akmal smashing Dale Steyn all over the ground was an awesome moment to watch.

Pakistan Zindabad!

15. mohammed ahmed says:

I was at the game, and it was amazing, i cried when they played dil dil pakistan, so emotional when the team done a lap of honour, spoke to the players later as i know a few as friends, they left the uk this morning via dubai, but shahid afridi and fawad alam stayed behind, they will return in a few days

16. Hussain says:

I screamed, cheered and prayed immensely for a much-deserved strong Pakistani team. Their dedication to win this was at par brilliant. After the final run, we all celebrated at Sea View, Karachi where Pakistanis were in full bloom.. Smiles, Three Cheers and smiles.. the true Pakistan nation spirit… Wonderful moment :)

17. kashif raees says:

i congratulate all nation and Pakistani team members. overall it was wonderful
    achievement.

18. Gari says:

I am an Indian and was supporting India in the T20 World Cup but from the beginning I had the feeling that Pakistan will perform very well in this world cup. When India exited my favorite team became Pakistan. On the day of the finals I was following the match on my Blackberry and went to an oil change place for my car. This place was run by a Pakistani gentleman (which I didn’t know before). The owner had a TV in his room and to my surprise had allowed some employees who wanted to watch the match to come and see it. I watched the winning moment there and celebrated it with the crew of the auto shop. Well done Pakistan. The clouds of unrest will clear and foreign teams will return to your soil to play the most competitive cricket like before.

19. haider shaikh says:

While coming back home from my driving class at Emirates Driving School in Abu Dhabi, i listened to the commentary in the taxi driven by a pathan driver, who was very much excited. He emphaticlaly told us that when pakistan would win he would offer a “Hot” pepsi to his sri lankan roommate! After getting down from the taxi, i saw number of pakistanis speically pathans standing outside the salon to watch the match from the glass wall…it was a second last over…and when pakistan won the match, there were a cheering slogans in the crowd, Jeevay Jeevay Pakistan! Their faces were filled with jubilation. it was a special moment of my life! well done pakistan!

20. Saqib says:

My favourite moments were the opening overs to both the innings and of course when Afridi took Udana apart. I was watching at home in Brighton with my wife and six month old baby girl. The wife made a cake to celebrate and we were joined by friends later in the evening who had gone to the stadium. But what a great evening. I wept a little and made the sijda, just like in 1992.

21. PAKIPOWER says:

well i went to sports bar in karachi with a few friends of mine, well we all got tensed when younus khan lost the toss as we all knew it was a vital toss to win,but never the less a win speaks to all, this is the best victory achieved by our heroes and no doubt it came at a time when the nation needed the most,this is the best gift by our heores to the nation which is going through the tough time of life,but all forgotten, we are deligthed the most and every one in the world should see how united the ppl of pakistan come in difficult and happy moments,this is a message to the indians and their IPL commissioner despite you not allowing any paki cricketer to take part in ur fake league we achieved this milestone and no doubts we are the new “BADSHAHS OF T20″ afridi showed that he would deliever his class when pakistan needed the most and action speaks more than the words.No team and come class to pakistan when they are on a winning string and we mean it watch out for paki tigers, and at last but not least heartiet congrats to the entire nation and the 11 super stars of oursn jeeve jeeve pakistan ,jeeve jeeve younus khan, jeeve jeeve Afridi. Pakistan zindabad

22. ehjaz says:

Hi, I watched the game at home with my family. My six years old Hamzah was very very enthusiastic about the match and his mother made him pray for the victory of Pakistan.

23. mansoor says:

well to top it all it was a clinical display from Pakistan,for whom Wasim Akram had said , could be the T20 Champions, should they play to their full potential.

I thought Razzak’s brilliant spell of three wickets up the order made the difference initially after which the Islanders could not recover, although towards the end of the Pakistani innings the boundaries had dried up altogether and i presume a target of 160-170 would have been stiff for Pakistan to chase

well done Pakistan! way to go

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement