Agitated Younis resigns from captaincy

Agitated Younis resigns from captaincy

Pakistan captain Younis Khan has resigned from his post, citing the match-fixing allegations and constant meddling of affairs as the reasons. While we await the response of Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Ijaz Butt, Dawn.com invites its readers to voice their opinion on this breaking news.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

145 Responses to “Agitated Younis resigns from captaincy”

1. AAMIR GM says:

POLITICIANS SHOULD LEARN FROM YOUNUS HOW AND WHEN TO RESIGN……….YOUNUS WE LOVE YOU.

2. Umair Ahmad says:

If his performance as a captain is to reviewed, his decisions as a captain and his judgment calls really let the team down on a number of occasions. A point in case: ICC Champion’s Trophy Semi-Final against New Zealand in which he did not take up the batting power play when Umar Akmal and Muhammad Yousaf were playing.
    Also, to clear out further, the T20 victory was a overall team performance, Younas Khan’s captaincy was not what was lauded about the team. There was a reason why Shahid Afridi was made the T20 team’s captain.
    I think it was about time for him to give up the captaincy. Overall, Younas Khan’s captaincy has been an utter disappointment. I hereby rest my case.

3. Burhan Kh says:

i don,t think that Pakistan Team was involved in the Match_Fixing.These are baseless allegations.Younis Khan is a Bold Captian.I Think it is a conspiracy against him.

4. farrukh says:

YK probably now holds the record of highest number of resignations as a captain within 3 years.

5. Rao Qurban says:

yunas khan is the most genious captan.i think he is know the respect of pakistan.pakistan is also face the challenges now aday.this is a time which is we prove that pakistan is a stong country.If thats are sincere with his county then they are never think about that propaganda.pakistan needs the victory.match fixing is a very bad thing.in my openion yunas khan cannot do so.

6. Fuad Ahmad says:

Really sad day for Pakistan cricket!! Dasti whatever his name is poking his nose just for cheap publicity.If he is looking for corruption then investigate the people sitting in NA & senate.

7. prez says:

blame to India – as usual.

8. ALL UNITED FOR PAK says:

Come on YOUNIS why believe on dasti who is another crab among the politicans enforced upon us by those who want to destroy us. Nation is with you, Everone knows you are honest, hardworking, dedicated and a true leader. I assure you that all common die hard PAKIS love you and want you to lead our team as you have given hopes (remember T20) out of no where.
    And dasti try to be honest if you have anything left in you. Nothing less than an appology will help Pakistan.

9. Hasnain says:

Once again an honest man became victim of dirty politics. We shouldn’t criticize Younis for leaving captaincy. Any other person had done the same thing what Younis did. He is a respectable person but Parliamentarian has tarnish the image of both Pakistan & Pakistan Cricket. Who gave these idiots authority to take the accountability of the sportsman. Who fought well to win the T20 cup and reach the semifinal birth of Champions trophy. Remember Pakistan is the only team who reach the third round of both the ICC tournaments played in 2009.

10. Nisar says:

The team’s vice captain Mr Afridi should stand up for Younis Khan and say if Younis Khan leaves i leave the vice captaincy as well. This is the only way to shut the critics up who find some or the other way to blame our players everytime we loose.
    Come on Guys, stand up for your skipper who stood by you in your difficult times.

11. mansoor says:

the Pakistani politicians have made a joke of themselves, teams like India, Sri Lanka, south africa couldnt make it to the knock out round , but there was no news of anyone from their assemblies raised any questions about it. Adding to that even the New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori failed to make the final line up in the finals of the CT, but did any one charge him with fixing the match in favour of the aussies? Then why Younis and why our politicians ?

12. Asmat Jamal says:

The parlimentarians has bungled it again. The problem with politicians is that they smell rat in every thing. Probably Mr Dasti placed himself in the shoes of Younis and thought that if he was made the captain he could have minted a lot of money by match fixing.
    I feel sorry for the parliment of Pakistan

13. indian says:

hey i support YK
    he is a gentlemen , hard working cricketer
    should not forget the pak present team is doing well a large part is due to YK
    He should not be targeted like this

14. Sheraz Pakisan says:

Rao Iftikhar for captain!!

15. M.salim says:

Honourable chief justice should take suo moto action and called Dasti to prove his allegations which malligned not only cricketers but the whole nation due to his irresponsible statement. Dasti himself does not know how to behave with women and uses foul language in the parliament.

16. Syed Farhan says:

Jamshed Dasti is a ex convict and is involved in so many frauds and alleged involvement in his cousin’s murder. How dare he speak against our captain

17. Sanam Fatima says:

i cant believe people are actually commenting that he should have faced the undue allegations because thats what a leader would do. Younis khan did the right thing for himself, why is it that despite watching that our team gave it there all, a loss of any kind immediatly results in allegations. people dont know how to support the team unless they are winning!!

18. Jazzy Boy says:

In my opinion YK is not a captaincy material to begin with, and his resignation under such circumtances prove again that he is not a leader. This is not the first time that he has ‘chickened-out’, when a true leader should have stepped up. I believe Afridi is a far better choice for a captain, and once thrust up on with responsibility, he will perform better too.

However, the match-fixing allegations are shameful and a big blow to Pakistan cricket. When Dasti himself retracted from his own allegations the very next day then what was the purpose of this hearing? It is ridiculous how the parliament acts on such ‘non-issues’ so promptly, but does not bother to put any effort in taking up the ‘real’ issues. I hope Dasti is brought to the court of justice for this injustice.

19. Pervez Khan says:

An honourable man. That is how it is done i.e. Defend one’s honour.

20. Abdel says:

Unfortunate to exhaust resources on such trivial things. There are so many important issues in the country other than Cricket, which need an urgent attention by these lawmakers, such as reforming (restructuring)the whole cricket set up including its chairman, the steering committee, the selectors/coaches and many others who are equally responsible for making wrong decisions/selection.

21. Zain says:

A leader is incharge of all the affairs of his team and is answerable to all the allegations and criticism. If he is such a weak person who can not take this reponsibilty, then he should not be leader. We need a bold, honest and strong person to control affairs of the team and also manage board and other interferring officials.

22. What do the Pakistani parliamentarian’s know about cricket? Who has given them the right to meddle into sports? They should first prove that they are themselves competent parliamentarians.The leass I say the better it is for my blood pressure.

23. Muhammad says:

In my opinion, politicians have never done any good to Paksitan themselves; and now that someone else is doing something beneficial for the country, this is how they treat him?!

This is our country, our cricket team, not some politicians personal team that he can go about and do with it as he pleases.

I hope the media goes after Dasti and gives him a taste of his own medicine. Dasti should be taken to court for defmaing the cricket team, and insulting the nation of pakistan.

24. Ali Faruq says:

Emotional decision by YK.. If the allegations are baseless or ridiculous, nobody has a right to point fingers at the captain.. But a captain should be brave enough to face all the beatings!! Captains in Past have done so aswell..

25. Sherali says:

Younis is a great cricketer and should have gone with dignity. Resigning under the circumstances leaves a stink behind.
    His blemises in the match against NZ cannot be overlooked,though.If he was not fit,he should not have played. Fawad or Misbah would have strengthen the batting.
    I still cannot understand why Power Play was not taken at the appropriate time. Even a 16 yr crickter would have known to take it when appropriate.
    Batsmen would anyway go for hits in the last few overs even if they are asked to not to hit out.
    Even if Younis was thinking of packing PowerPlay in his hand bag, umpires would have forced them in in the last 5 overs.
    Lastly the match was not fixed. Fixing was needed in Younis’s thinking.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement