Pakistan’s greatest chocolate hero

Pakistan’s greatest chocolate hero

Decades after films such as Armaan and Doraha were released, the debonair Waheed Murad remains a treat to watch. An exceptional actor who had a screen presence that his leading ladies envied, Lollywood’s quintessential chocolate hero died 26 years ago today.

The early death of this educated and talented actor and producer was one of the major blows to an industry that now lies gasping for air. Murad was born on October 2, 1938, in Karachi and news of his death on November 23, 1983, left many eyes brimming with tears.

He starred in 123 feature films and earned 32 awards for his unmatchable performances.

Whether Murad was making a smooth entry in Armaan singing Ko Ko Korina or flirting with Shabnam as he followed her (rather stylishly in a red convertible) crooning Kuch Log Rooth Kar Bhi, songs were an essential part of his image. To pick from his repertoire of immortal melodies is a difficult task.

Here, Dawn.com lists its top 10 favourite Waheed Murad hits. Let us know which one is your favourite?

Ko Ko Korina from Armaan (1966)

Akele Na Jana from Armaan

Jab Pyar Main Do Dil Miltey Hain from Armaan

Kuch Loag Rooth Kar Bhi from Andaleeb (1969)

Haan Isi Mod Par from Doraha (1967)

Bhooli Hui Hoon Dastaan from Doraha

Mujhe Tum  Nazar Se from Doraha

Tumhain Kaisay Batadoon from Doraha

Ae Abre Karam Aaj Itna Baras from Naseeb Apna Apna (1970)

Dil Ko Jalana Hum Ne Chor Diya from Mohabbat Zindagi Hai (1975)

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

93 Responses to “Pakistan’s greatest chocolate hero”

1. atif says:

My favorite Waheed Murad songs:

Tark-e-Ulfat ka sila:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktc28erKlk

and
    Naam aye na tera:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pItll7KYrU
    from Suraya Bhopali – imagine it targeted at shahid not rani.

2. Hanief says:

He was not known to any one out side Pakistan ever. No body knows him, now a days even in Pakistan. So how one can say he was best hero of south east Asia.

3. avinash says:

Writing from Calcutta(west bengal), frankly speaking I never heard of him. But Manoj kumar looks like him, acts like him Jitendra hair style is like wahid. Wahid must be a great actor. I have gone through all 10 songs last one is best “Dil ko jalana “. Lahore and its culture is respected all over India too. But now a days what is happening is very sad I want lollywood combines with bollywood and beat Hollywood. Personally I am big fan of Md. Rafi and Kishore (please try to write something about them too so that you all in Pakistan can admire them). This dawn site is best newspaper site (I am an avid reader browse all major newspaper of world from Peoples daily (china0 to NY times) keep the good work guys.

4. farrahshah says:

What I always liked about Waheed Murad was his personality. The Charisma, there was some sadness in his eyes or he shared the sadness of intelligent person, a thinking soul maybe.
    It was definitely his personality, charisma and the way he carried himself. The cinema did not make him, he made the cinema.

5. sheikh says:

Well, well what a glory, how we use to watch and make films and heroes like that and it’s a pity that we stopped at the top of our industry and our imaginations and to enjoy and to be loved and go out to pub and hear piano and people behaving well in public places, what happened to all that, we should be proud of what we have produced and the question is are we going to continue or just stay where we are and start burning our film history to satisfy taliban? Long live waheed Murad.

6. Salman Tariq says:

An excellent reminder of the glory days of Pakistan’s film industry. The songs listed are absolute classics, and worthy of a place in any South Asian hall of fame. Songs of Doraha were utterly unmatched. So was Wahid Murad’s inimitable style.

It’s a sad but true reflection below, that our media seems to have forgotten the whole event.

7. Fahad Asad says:

Wahid Muraad is definitely the top of the pick from the Sub continent.

‘Ko Ko Korina’ is ‘the’ catchiest song ever and performance of Waheed Murad on this one is out of this world!

When asked to sing a song on joining a firm in Ireland (as per the firms tradition), we 3 Pakistanis choose to sing this song (complete with the hand claps) and the reaction from the local crowd proved to us just how catchy this song really is.

8. Shazib says:

I concur that he was something special. A style so unique and captivating. Those were the glory days of Pakistani cinema with stalwarts such as Mohd Ali, Nadeem and of course Wahid Murad. He departed way too soon, and I don’t think the industry ever found someone to fit into his big shoes. Wahid Murad may have left us but his work and impact remains very much alive to this day.

9. Javid says:

Waheed Murad ( Wido for his friends, Mohd. Ali, Zeba, Nadeem included). His real life personality was debonair, romantic, mischievous, emotional, sensitive and vivacious. He brought a breath of fresh air and modernity to the industry. Apart from Manoj copying him as Adeel Kunwar says, once Jeetendar also told me that in his young days he used to copy Waheed, specially in picturing songs and even to the extent of copying his hairstyle. Wido was also a good, caring and true friend who shared his friends’ sorrows and took pleasure in their happiness.

10. Fakhar says:

Lollywood never produce hero like Waheed Murad he is living legends of Lollywood his achivement is he did not copy anyone and maintain his own style. Very sad we lost early…..

11. Ali Mazhar Danish says:

I am in agreement with what Dr. Syed Zafar Mahmood has stated: ‘Waheed Murad is the hero of all heroes of sub-continenet’.

12. Wahid Murad was a great hero of Pakistan film industry. He gave the romantic direction to all other heroes. He was really chocolaty hero. The new generation heroes should be learns from Wahid Murad movies.

13. Abbas says:

My favourate hero from Lollywood. If I have to pick one of the best from Wahid Murad’s hit songs then it would be “Mujhe Tum Nazar Se from Doraha”. I would like to thank Dawn team for remembering the legend. I wish we could have hero’s like him in the modern era but only if our media pay attention to films also apart from putting focus on war on terror and terror attacks which have been demoralizing us as a nation and society.
    Thanks

14. Kashif Bashir says:

Good blog, this effort depicts that how much good actors and film industry we had in past.

15. Anonymous says:

Having grown up on Hollywood movies (following this great legend’s demise), watching black and white Pakistani movies seemed like an odd after thought at first, especially when my parents would often sit enraptured before the TV set watching his movies.

But having watched a few of his movies, it became apparent to me that it was only the work of movie legends like him (among others) that the Pakistani movie industry has managed to survive thus far, although it still remains a fledgling enterprise when compared with its counterparts in Hollywood and Bollywood.

And it goes without saying, but his acting caliber and vivacious persona still remains unmatched!

16. Adeel Kunwar says:

Waheed Murad was not only the greatest lead actor in Lollywood, his influence was also felt across the borders, the famous Indian actor Manoj Kumar tried to copy his style & once admitted too, many bollywood stars were fan of the great Waheed Murad,
    Its sad to see how our media puts lime light on bollywood stars but forget their own charming super star, even on his death anniversary.

17. .DR SYED ZAFAR MAHMOOD says:

Waheed Murad is the best, the most good looking and the greatest hero of the film industry of the subcontinent. He is the hero of all the heroes of the subcontinent. He will always be remembered as the most romantic and the chocolate film hero of the subcontinent.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement