NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

After much deliberation and debate inside the courts, in the media and among the general public, the Supreme Court of Pakistan has given its decision on the controversial National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that paved the way for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to come into power.

The Supreme Court declared the NRO null and void in a short order which was passed unanimously by a 17-member bench.

The landmark decision is set to create ripples and shake up the government as all old cases and convictions that had been dismissed under the ordinance can now be revived as per the court orders.

Dawn.com invites its readers to comment on the court’s historic decision. Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government? Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption? How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan? Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable? Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “NRO ruling: beginning of the end?”

1. Rajiv says:

Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government?

Yes.

Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption?

No

How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan?

More intrigue and instability.

Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable?

No.

Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

Its a useless debate. Coruption is everywhete in Pakistan. Army, Muslim League, PPP. So this is just politically motivated anti-corruption drive.

2. Abdul Hadi says:

This is extremely important step in right direction. Decision gives impression to every one that courts are free and no one is above the law. I wish court system provide justice to all ordinary person in Pakistan and root out corruption from judicial system.

3. I think this is a very good beginning of courage and impartiality of the Supreme COurt. No one is above the law of the land and there is no exception. What is happening in this country is that ‘You scratch my back and I sratch yours’. That’s the way corruption is nurtured. Supreme Court has taken the right stand and it has given the right decision. I appreciate and congratulate the Supreme Court judges in this regard and feel that the corrupt parlamentarians and others should kneel down in front of the law. It is never too late to choose the right path, more so in the case of Pakistan.

4. ali says:

This is the right decision. I am glad the courts had the foresight to take this decision. In the short run, no doubt there will be sufficient turmoil, nonetheless a turmoil we must have if we are to put this nation on a sound footing.

5. Faisal SIddiqui says:

Nothing is going to change overnight but this is certainly a step in the right direction.We have the laws to govern us but we dont tend to follow them.We just have to follow the laws obediently and sincerely to bring our nation out of the clutches of poverty, corruption and a feeling of worthlessness

6. Mahzaib Aziz says:

I simply cannot understand why is this the “main” issue within the media circles, these cases have been in courts for years, none of them was proved, perhaps the judiciary has “transformed for the better (which i somewhat disagree with)” but i don’t see an unbiased decision coming up very soon, in fact this thing may turn on its head, don’t be surprised if these same courts vindicate NRO beneficiaries(at least the top lot) ..

7. Muhammad Yasin says:

Great decsion by SC.

8. assad says:

Okay good. Now the question is, where will this go? Will we see a repeat of the 90s with cases being filed left and right and people being distracted from the already very little governance they provide or will we really see some heads roll as they deserve to?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so lets see how the culprits are prosecuted. What we Pakistanis do not want to see is the tamasha of the 90s being repeated again. Bring some solid proof and lock the thugs and the looters in. Enough of the toying with the fortunes of the country.

9. Mash Vijay says:

Good decision, but i dont think so government will implement the orders of supreme court.

10. Ficus says:

More than any other challenge that PPP government has had to face since its assumption of power back in 2008, this decision poses the greatest challenge, and would have far reaching implications on the shape of things to come in the country – and the challenge is: whether the incumbent government would have sufficient moral/ethical resources to effectively and credibly undertake prosecutions in the cases – some of them involving the foremost figures in the government – that now stand revived. The failure of the present govt. to do so would further weaken the political position of PPP – which would be an unfortunate development for a country whose politics are already so fragmented.

11. outsider says:

it’s definitely good for country and will be really fruitful in long term but don’t hope that it will end corruption instantly. as far as stability goes i don’t think it will have any negative effect. in short it’s great decision

12. Ahmad Zubairi says:

I am very happy. Kudos to supreme court.I dont believe in the bogus argument that we should let corruption go for sake of stability. We can find enough good people to run the country. Hopefully this can set a new precedent.

13. Mohammed Fiaz Hussain says:

I applaud the SC in its decision, it sends a message that no matter what, corruption charges have to be addressed and not swept under the carpet in a so called “Deal”. Over the years we have seen the various Pakistani Governments being dismissed by the President due to allegations of corruption, why cant Pakistan have a government that is NOT corrupt, serves the people of Pakistan who voted for them in the elections, Why do the people of Pakistan think its ok to vote for a government that has NOT taken their views into consideration, a government that only thinks of itself and money from handouts by the US. Pakistan is a great nation but its name is tarnished by all the corruption scandals that every civilian government has been tarnished with, we hear that officials have millions in Swiss bank accounts, where has that money come from in the first place? if that money is found to been obtained by so called dirty deals should be returned to the people of Pakistan, where that money can pay for new roads, hospitals, schools etc.

14. Mirza A M says:

There could have been no other verdict. this law was malifide and the court has done its duty. now , it is upto the PPP to set its house in order otherwise it will become history.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement