NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

After much deliberation and debate inside the courts, in the media and among the general public, the Supreme Court of Pakistan has given its decision on the controversial National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that paved the way for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to come into power.

The Supreme Court declared the NRO null and void in a short order which was passed unanimously by a 17-member bench.

The landmark decision is set to create ripples and shake up the government as all old cases and convictions that had been dismissed under the ordinance can now be revived as per the court orders.

Dawn.com invites its readers to comment on the court’s historic decision. Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government? Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption? How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan? Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable? Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “NRO ruling: beginning of the end?”

1. Moin says:

A good decision. Hopefully it will help curb future corruption.

2. JD says:

This is indeed a very historic decision by Supreme Court of Pakistan. On basis of this decision we can proudly say that now we have a free and unbiased judiciary. I congrats to Supreme Court and people of Pakistan on this Historic event.

Now as far as its impact is concerned, I don’t think that the beneficiaries of NRO will be affected from this decision. They will find some way of escape. This is what I think will happen but here is some thing I wish to happen.

I wish people of Pakistan may see these people resigning from there positions and facing the lawsuit. This is the chance for our leaders to make history. I think president of Pakistan should lead this act. I think we can compromise on political disability over brave and courageous leadership.
    May ALLAH give us leader’s courage to face accountability.

3. Aftab Alam says:

SC has shown independence and done its duty. It is now for the government to follow the lead in rooting out corruption.

4. Adeel says:

I dont think the govt. has a choice now but to accept and implement the ruling.

5. Kulsoom says:

Great decision with long lasting positive impacts for the country.

To Shery who says that “If we get rid of corrupt politicians… then my question is that who will be left to rule the country? Unfortunately we are in a sorry state at this moment where we seriously lack political leadership to lead the country.”

6. Mohammad Mukhtar ul Haq Qureshi says:

I am very pleased with the decision of the Supreme Court but will be delighted if everyone who is allegedly corrupt is tried and punished accordingly if found guilty regardless of his/her status or political clout.

The real test of our judiciary system has just started. The outcome will decide the fate and future of our beloved country, Pakistan.

7. Obaid Khan says:

I salute the 17 member bench of Supreme Court of Pakistan on this historic and landmark decision.

I truly hope that the decision will pave the way for true democracy in Pakistan. As long as the courts are independent the democratic system will continue to flourish in Pakistan.

If the political parties of Pakistan believe in true democracy then the looted wealth (every single penny) should be brought back to the exchequer. All accused should be punished and barred from holding any public office in the future.

8. Ali Adeel says:

Judiciary has played its due role now its the Govrnmnet’s turn to play its role.
    It has given hope to the people of this land that there is an institution that can can safeguard their national wealth and check the loot and pluder of its reckless leaders.

9. saleem says:

The decision is historic because the ruling democratic government did not intervene in forcing the decision.

10. Ashish says:

My personal view, bearing in mind that I am an Indian citizen and may not be able to appreciate subtle inticacies of politics in Pakistan, is that the court’s decision is a positive result for Pakistan. I hope that institutions of Pakistan such as the judiciary become strong and guide the nation through crisis. A strong democartic Pakistan striving for development is in India’s interest. Conflicts often emerge out of scarcities and a way to peace in Asia is through concurrent development of people which can only be achieved if the institution of a country are strong and just.

11. Syed Shahid says:

Good decision by supreme court, but this is not the end. the defaulters of loan should also be punished and their cases reopened. No one should be above the justice and recovery of national wealth plus punishment to culprits is required.

Once for all, currupt politicians, govt servants, business men and feudals should be brought to the justice.

12. saleem says:

The decision is historic, no doubt. But i am afraid that it will create instability as both the government and the “friendly” opposition will show stubbornness. Opposition will now demand resignation from top officials including the president. And he will refuse, saying that he is immune as being president of the republic. Even if Zardari resigns this opposition will demand a Mid-Term election to gain the fruits of this verdict.

However the situation can be different (positively) if either of the side shows patience. The country can not afford another crisis in these already troubled times.

13. Haseen Ahmad says:

We salute our Supreme Court for upholding the constitution.It is good for the Nation and for its people.It will strengthen peoples faith in Pakistan.

14. Waqas Shaikh says:

I am extremely happy with the SC decision. It is a historic and very good for Pakistan. It is the first time in the history of Pakistan that elites of the country have been challenged by the judiciary.

We must be vigilant because the corrupt and crook elites will play every sleazy tricks to get away with the crimes they have committed.

It is the duty of every Pakistan to protect the judiciary from the elite mafia.
    They have already tried to hurt the Chief Justice and his family in a car accident in Islamabad.

All convicted office holders should resign immediately. The sooner the better.

We are moving toward the real freedom that was envisioned by Quaid E Azam.

God Bless Pakistan. Long Live Pakistan.

15. Maaz Ahmed says:

Of course its just the beginning of an end..

Well as far as the stability in country is concerned.. tell me one thing that is stable now!

Ofcourse every corrupt official will now consider that there is a real check and balance over him.

It might not have direct impact on security currently faced by Pakistan but yes in long run i think it is one of greatest measure to stop terrorism and as far as political situation is concerned.. i think not a single benificeiry of the former NRO can sleep tight tonight.

It is my one of greatest wish that all the benificiries of NRO are brought to court!

16. Bilal (Canada) says:

It appears to be a positive decision in the history of Pakistan. I don,t think judiciary is so strong to do accountability of main political figures. It could take a while.
    But in general, Pakistan looks on its way to be the civilized state with independent judiciary and emerging democracy. Suppose that judiciary is a now a third power in addition to army and bureaucracy, then it becomes difficult to cheat the general public for important decision.

17. Syed Salman Raza says:

This will be a very positive change for democracy. The process of accountability has begun. Though people should not expect drastic changes overnight but since the process has started it is a path leading towards transparency. It was an excellent step of CJ that immediately after his restoration he became more firm on his committment for eradication of corruption in judiciary. The cleaning of his own institution from corrupt PCO Judges, paved the way for getting public opinion in the favour of judiciary which enabled it take the govt head on as it did in the last regime. But this is 2009 and everyone knows that judges cant be sent home again.

18. Natasha says:

And the judiciary asserts it’s independence yet again.A slap on the opponents of the lawyers’ movement.THIS is what the people of Pakistan fought for more than 2 years.

The verdict is bound to lead to political instability considering the fact that the prominent beneficiaries are holding important offices in the government.But the instability will prove beneficial for the country.We need clean people serving us.

There’s been corruption on a wide scale despite an independentt media and judiciary but I hope it wil be discouraged now that the judiciary is ready to take on ‘anyone , anytime’.

19. Faisal Syed says:

Today is the re-birth of new Pakistan. After 62 years of struggle, finally we have taken a step in the right direction. Today, I am proud to be Pakistani. Long Live Pakistan!!

20. gbn says:

It is very important for all of us to be loyal to our Pakistan as our dear and sweet country. By making our institutions strong we can see that this dream can be fulfilled.

This decision opens the opportunity for the purification of the system. This new development must be appreciated and supported at each level.

I hope that the democracy will be matured further and it will help in the strength of all pillars of the state. We must not forget that the democratic institutions are better even if they are not ideal. It takes time for the institutions to get mature and strong. There will be a period in which everybody has to prove himself innocent. It will be a big task though. This day was to come and it has come finally.

21. Zeeshan Ahmad says:

No this decision will not bring any instability in Pakistan.This is a matter of fair and impartial justice,and every person despite of his status stands equal in the eyes of Law.This is the Historical decision in the history of Pakistan since this decision very first time stood against the sitting government of Pakistan as well as against big defaulters.This decision is a land mark decision and it will pave ways for the progress of our country.Every one who violates law is accountable in front of courts no matter his status either he is political figure or a poor person.Independence and fairness of Judiciary plays a vital role in the success of Nations as well as countries.

22. asfandyar afridi says:

it was a good judgement but the court proceeding were political motivated , the court had to decide whether NRO is against human rights or not,but the most of the discussion and Q&A from judges revolve around particular cases and NAB reports.
    its a clear case of political victimization.

23. shery says:

If we get rid of corrupt politicians… then my question is that who will be left to rule the country? Unfortunately we are in a sorry state at this moment where we seriously lack political leadership to lead the country.

24. This decision will not create anarchy in pakistan and will restore the dignity of the law of land. We have to wait and see the next phase of this decision and I am very hopeful that it will be implemented with out any bias. I am very impressed by the supreme court of Pakistan to come forward and take this right action in a country where most of the people thinks law of the country a big fat joke. Ajmal chaudhry

25. Syed Salman Raza says:

It has undoubtedly been a historical judgment as expected of our honourable judiciary. Once again CJ Iftikhar Chaudhry has proven his committment to the people of Pakistan and this judgment was a much needed assurance at this critical juncture to the people of Pakistan that the efforts made by them and hardships faced for restoration of the independent judiciary have not been fruitless. All of us should support the courage of our judges who stood against all odds in the regime of a military dictator and are still committed to bringing rule of law despite all pressures. We salute the judiciary on its continuing efforts to bring rule of law

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement