NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

After much deliberation and debate inside the courts, in the media and among the general public, the Supreme Court of Pakistan has given its decision on the controversial National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that paved the way for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to come into power.

The Supreme Court declared the NRO null and void in a short order which was passed unanimously by a 17-member bench.

The landmark decision is set to create ripples and shake up the government as all old cases and convictions that had been dismissed under the ordinance can now be revived as per the court orders.

Dawn.com invites its readers to comment on the court’s historic decision. Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government? Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption? How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan? Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable? Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “NRO ruling: beginning of the end?”

1. JS Magrey says:

Three cheers for Supreme Court judiciary. Hip hip hurray.

The decision is a beginning of end of Zardari & co. The cheek with which his crones are defending him is a shameful act.

2. Ram Mittal, USA says:

Comments to Dawn Questions

The answer to all the DAWN questions is one i.e. the SC decission is a good start for Pakistan. The overall Pakistani system has been so manipulative since its creation that it can only improve with SC decission.

3. aziz tayyab says:

The ruling is simply based on legal principles but implementing those principles rests on the very so called corrupt elite, the bureaucrats and the politicians and in my opinion not much will change other than a few corrupt elite go behind the scene.

4. Ajaya Dutt says:

Wishing all the best to people of Pakistan in their sacred endeavor to establish rule of law. Will it mean that Hindus will also get respect and protection of law and order just like any other citizen of Pakistan? I am sure eventually. Because we all are same human beings irrespective of how we bow to Almighty, and this truth no book can deny.

5. At says:

What a decision! Everyone, starting with Zardari must be brought to justice. These people have ruined this great nation. I believe the time has approached to put the corrupt people behind bars.

Pakistan zindabad.

6. Riaz says:

Highway to Revolution !
    The poor people of Pakistan don’t deserve to be ripped off by the gangs.
    Well Done Supreme Court

7. Grami says:

One of the hope to save Pakistan is the honest and competent Judiciary. I believe that Judiciary is well aware of its importance in saving Pakistan and is taking small but firm steps slowly and gradually without creating chaos. I pray that Judiciary decisions can be implemented in later and spirit by the government authorities unlike they have done in Sugar Rate verdict.

8. Farooq says:

This is great. Well and good. Now what?

9. Salman Tariq says:

I hope something ridiculous doesn’t undo the good work.

10. Ashish says:

A huge step in the right direction towards democracy. These are the checks and balances a democratic system is all about.

11. Lalajeee says:

Musharraf, the author of NRO sits in America. He should also be questioned who legitimized the corrupt to come back to power. Why should he be spared.

12. hami humayun says:

Will the decree be enforced in spirit and letter? Super power involvement in the area complicates the issue. Little faith in raped institutions. However the optimism of youth is a plus. Wait and see.

13. nazir ahmad says:

This is for the first time in the history of Pakistan that such an order is passed by the apex court. This is no doubt a landmark decision and will lay down the foundations of area democracy. A democracy where judiciary is free and justice is expected from it. This decision will strengthen the confidence of the people of Pakistan and the world in Pakistani govt. and more funds will be provided to Pakistan for fighting against terrorism and for development projects. But this is only the beginning.

14. Shahid M. Hasan says:

In my opinion, the current land mark decision by our apex court will result in more country wide stability and an increased financial creditability. The general confidence level of the people will rise. But the next most important question is that what will happen once the cases are reopened and heard by the respective courts. If the culprits are going to be punished and the money is taken back to the treasuries of Pakistan, only then we can say that the decision has resulted in a positive outcome. I hope that this will also be done in very near future.

15. Amjad Wyne says:

Wow, I thought complex cases required months and years of deliberations and careful thinking. Perhaps this CJ can teach the rest of the world on how to decide everything in two days. My assessment is that the remaining 8000 cases tied to NRO will all get resolved by the 1st of January. Wouldn’t it be great if the CJ can now show us how to get a law degree in a couple of hours?

16. Salman says:

It looks like my Pakistan is ready to take on world. My friends , it is time to unleash all the positive energies which are locked in each one of us.
    Let’s raplicate our Cheif Justice and create millions of Cheif Justices — one hundred and seventeen millions.
    Love live Pakistan.

17. mohammad akram says:

Finally a ray of hope that this great country of ours will be cleansed of corrupt and immoral politicians and bureaucracy. Yet it remains to be seen if these heartless and shameless lot will come forward and accept their guilt, apologize to the nation, return the wealth they have plundered and bury themselves deep in the darkness so that even their shadow is not visible anywhere. Let’s all pray and salute the supreme judiciary who showed so much wisdom and courage to carry forward this task they have shouldered.

18. It all started with a NO to the dictator. So to begin with credit goes to the CJ and the lawyers, the people of Pakistan and last but not the least media. But this is beginning, since the Supreme Court has declared NRO void and null, those who have become ministers should be removed from their positions immediately and asked to defend themselves in the courts. If acquitted they should stand good chance to be taken back. Most important however is to make all the beneficiaries of NRO to give back the wealth of the nation be it in the form of loans or commission or tax evasion.

19. Raza says:

Well it was indeed a brave decision keeping in mind the pressure which was being put from the ruling party. But the big question is now what? if you remove these corrupt officials who will replace them some other corrupt officials and it will go on and on till we the people as a Pakistani nation and not as Sindhi’s Balouchi’s and Pasthans etc, its about time we become Pakistanis and cleanse this trash from amongst us bring in land reforms tax the feudal and empower the ordinary man.

20. Jahanzaib says:

We all should support this verdict decisions like these give common people satisfaction that no matter how powerful one is, he is not above the law. Long live Pakistan

21. Dr farrukh chowdry says:

This is a good beginning. It will be landmark when criminals from all political parties are netted and the culprits involved in the storming of Supreme Court are brought to justice.

22. Sohail Khan says:

No one is above the law, landmark decision, congratulations, Now bring all the looted wealth back.

23. Shafiq Khan says:

An historic decision? Yes indeed. However it is only historic because the SC declared its independence. It is the right decision which pleased the majority of the population.

Shafiq

24. MKA says:

The ruling against NRO is excellent and bold judgement given by SC.

25. SD says:

This is no doubt a great decision and a trend-setter for future decisions. However, we are a long way from becoming a fair or less corrupt nation. The Supreme Court is leading by example but it also needs to send a stronger message to the lower courts about fair and timely justice for all. No court case should take longer than 3-4 months to decide. There is alot of work which needs to be done.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement