NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

After much deliberation and debate inside the courts, in the media and among the general public, the Supreme Court of Pakistan has given its decision on the controversial National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that paved the way for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to come into power.

The Supreme Court declared the NRO null and void in a short order which was passed unanimously by a 17-member bench.

The landmark decision is set to create ripples and shake up the government as all old cases and convictions that had been dismissed under the ordinance can now be revived as per the court orders.

Dawn.com invites its readers to comment on the court’s historic decision. Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government? Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption? How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan? Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable? Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “NRO ruling: beginning of the end?”

1. Faheem says:

I think this is one of the historic decisions by the SC. Not only did this decision gives confidence to people of Pakistan but it also show a civilized nature of our country around the world. As per the ruling given everything is now to be reversed. I am really very disturbed about the moral courage of our politicians. Non of the politicians have any moral courage to resign. How can they face their ministries as well as constituencies.
    Yesterday Defence Miniser was stopped at the airport from departing for China. He should have the courage to throw the ministry away on this disgrace. But they will not do it. Main reason is that they want to remain in power and pursue their cases to influence others.

I strongly recommend that Election Commission now should come forward and declare their nominations as null and void immediately before these 8000 people do serious harm to the nation.

2. Qassam Jafri says:

Great Job!
    Finally we see some thing good happening after so many dreadful incidents.

3. Ahmedjee says:

This is the audacity of hope for the (not so) helpless people of Pakistan. Decision confirms that 2009 is a historic year for Pakistanis, as they now have an independent judiciary. Let the justice begin. Just don’t expect too much, too fast. Hands off to media as well for keeping the politicians at check.

4. Yasmin Hassan says:

So proud of our Justice system. Long live Pakistan now. Enough of corruption! At least from now on Pakistan can be on the way to success.

5. Mudassar says:

This is a victory for the whole nation.

Having said that, the entire Supreme Court deserves our admiration for a 17-0 verdict on the NRO.

6. Monim Hashmi says:

The SC verdict is indeed courageous, specially when many BIG shots (in governement) are under fire.

Wish all the corrupt leadership of pakistan could be brought to justice!!

7. Tanya says:

What a coincidence! On Dec 16th Bangladesh got their freedom from corrupt politicians of Pakistan and it seems now on same date Pakistanis are getting freedom from corrupt politicians of pakistan.
    Hope this day marks the begining of a new just and peaceful Pakistan.
    Best of luck!

8. Husnain Awan says:

It is a good step and the beginning of a process where people can look up to the courts for free and fair justice Insha’Allah.

9. Aiqbal says:

The Supreme Court of Pakistan led by CJ Chaudhry deserves the highest medal of honor awarded by the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. The verdict in NRO case is a clear demonstration of courage of the CJ, which up until now was non-existent in Pakistan. Any elected official who benefited from the NRO and without which could not have been eligible to run for an office should be removed from the post effective immediately including the President, and should focus their energy to face the court to defend themselves.

God Bless Pakistan!

10. Muhammad Daheem says:

Death and burial of National Reconciliation Ordinance is a ray of hope for the people who believe in justice and fair play. The kings of corruption will now have to face the tragic end.

11. Salman Subhani says:

God sees the truth, but waits!

Good luck to Pakistan and to all of us!

12. Kashif London says:

Its today that Pakistan truly got liberated..

13. Vorshal says:

I read it interest. I favor the ruling, as the Law must prevail at all times. It reposes the confidence of the people in the judiciary and democracy of the country. People of the country would like it. It would also be applauded by other countries.

It may make the life of the tainted people a little difficult. But is it not important if we have to have pure mind and some ethical standards. Otherwise, people will carry the price-tag as some have, rightly or wrongly! I don’t think it will make the country insecure or create instability. The question to ask is: Was it right or wrong in the first place to have allowed it? I think it was wrong in the first place.

I would say whatever happens now, it should not be vindictive in any form or any shape.

14. QB says:

It’s interesting to see how many people (including myself) are happy at this decision suggesting people are fed up with the corruption of the government.

15. SA says:

WELL DONE SC.

16. GM Malik says:

I have no doubts, the spirit of the Founder of our nation, Quaid-e-Azam is very happy today with this historic and courageous SC decision.

17. I hope and pray that civilized, honest and professionals are brought into the Government who can govern the country with honesty and integrity. Pakistan is a great country with lot of potential but has been mismanaged since death of Quaid-e-Azam (May Allah bless his soul -he was only honest and sincere person since creation of Pakistan). We don’t need waderas, bureaucracies, nawabs and industrialist to run the country. Hopefully this verdict will jolt the corrupt system prevalent in Pakistan.

18. Sajid Ahmed says:

December 16th. 2009 will undoubtedly go into Pakistan’s history as its one of its finest and brightest days indeed!

At last free, fair and overdue justice has indeed been rendered.
    It has been Pakistan’s bad luck that our founding father died so soon.
    After the Quaid’s death; we the “Pakistani orphans” were forever “abused” by our Care-taker step fathers who plundered our national wealth time and time again. I wish our country comes together and says “No-More” enough is enough. This will indeed serve as a major deterrent for any government: past, present or future to be made accountable. It is my personal view that if we can come together as a nation and root out these corrupt individuals and or families then in one stroke alone we can eliminate 90 percent of our social-economic problems that the poor people of Pakistan are facing on for the past 60 years. Long live chief justice and long live Pakistan.

19. Aurangzeb says:

When the dust settles, nothing will change. Poor people celebrate these things, although nothing is ever ever going to change in this country; very hopeless conditions. Minds will never change here …

20. Khalid Qureshi-Australia says:

Hats off to the Supreme Court of Pakistan. May Allah give us strength to bring this country out of dark clouds. I think instead of celebrating the victory in supreme court we should be worried about our future course of action. Those who are back in the courts to answer, will not sit quietly. We should stand united and help the judiciary to cleanup the mess created by previous governments. It should not stop at the present government but go back to as far as possible. May Allah give us wisdom and strength to safeguard our National Interests and the Country.
    Aameen.

21. Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany says:

On paper and in the legal framework, the ruling is correct. I wonder, however, that if BB had been alive and in control, whether this ruling would have been made. It is anybodys guess.

22. m. ahmad says:

Time is come to correct all the past wrongs in our country. Put a check on the dishonest politicians and place them where they belong. Cheers for the judges.

23. Expatriate - USA says:

If Mr. Zardari & others on NRO list are innocent, I believe, court will take due notice of evidence presented in defence. At this juncture, SC will be impartial. After all Mr. Zardari is a duly elected President

24. Tim Hacket says:

No one is above the law. People of Pakistan should wake-up and take advantage of this and clean the mess. This is a new beginning for Pakistan if this prevails.

25. Ahsan says:

Landmark Ruling. Took a long time, but, finally did the right thing for the nation and the country.

Let’s hope that justice is done this time and all these thieves are brought to justice.
    LONG LIVE PAKISTAN.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement