NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

After much deliberation and debate inside the courts, in the media and among the general public, the Supreme Court of Pakistan has given its decision on the controversial National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that paved the way for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to come into power.

The Supreme Court declared the NRO null and void in a short order which was passed unanimously by a 17-member bench.

The landmark decision is set to create ripples and shake up the government as all old cases and convictions that had been dismissed under the ordinance can now be revived as per the court orders.

Dawn.com invites its readers to comment on the court’s historic decision. Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government? Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption? How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan? Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable? Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “NRO ruling: beginning of the end?”

1. MOEED KHAN says:

Court has done his duty but what are the outcomes of such decisions? Country in already in turmoil and this decision will create more anarchy. I am very apprehensive about the future of Pakistan.

2. A PAKISTANI says:

It is a great decision by the SC. My dear homeland and its brave people are now moving in the right direction. Let’s pray Allah Almighty that this step helps us in getting rid of the corrupt political leadership. This should be followed by the cleansing of bureaucracy, military, and media. If people continued supporting the judiciary, Pakistan will be extremely successful in future (INSHALLAH).
    LONG LIVE PAKISTAN

3. Lalbhai Patel says:

I am happy about the positive feeling of readers; particularly of its natives. I hope Pak’s politicians and military also try to (I know it’s hard for them) take objective view of what Judiciary (all 17) has unequivocally said and help their beloved nation to bring out from the black and chaotic looking immediate future. I wish them well.

4. umer says:

Another political judgement.The Supreme Court,first of all,should have looked into the legality or otherwise of the cases before re-opening them.Most of these case were one-sided and based on political vendetta.
    Umer

5. Maher Elahi says:

It is good omen for the country that at least one important institution has started delivering. In the beginning the expectations from the CJ and his comrades appeared to be too high, but now they have proved their metal for being capable enough to do the needful. I wish them God speed.

6. Khalid says:

It is an excellent decision. It’s time for everyone to pay for their crimes. A never ending era of corruption and loot has to come to an end

7. Muhammad Ali says:

Accountability should prevail, all accused should be brought to trial and the judge’s decides on merit.

8. KC says:

In democratic societies no one is above the law and no violator of the law is granted immunity in any of the civilized nations. All citizens of democratic Pakistan are subject to one constitution that applies equal to each of its citizens and that there is no variance by virtue of any reason whatsoever. Supreme court has given a unanimous verdict and all subjects including the sitting President shall abide by the supreme law of our nation.

9. Rehman says:

This is beyond the expectation of most Pakistani that such a landmark verdict could be given by the Court. I salute the panel. My only suggestion would be to carry on the process to apprehend all those who were involved in wrongful doing as a precedent for future cases. This could only be achieved if the courts stay above the reaches of these individuals who would use all means of bribery & contacts to get relief in penalties.

10. Barlas says:

Certainly, the decision is a step forward to clean up the mess.

11. A.G says:

SC did good job, but what about, the other of politicians, like Sharifs?

12. Chris says:

It is definitely a good decision for Pak public. The courageous decision should serve good in eliminating corruption, at least to some extent. I am sure politician will always get away one way or another without caring too much about public. But it is a good start and I hope it will continue in the same direction. If it has done nothing else, it at least changed the image of Pak in international justice system. Congratulation!

13. Asif Khan says:

Indeed it is the right decision and had to be this way otherwise one would have lost faith in the system even further.

14. Aamir Syed says:

This is really a landmark and history making decision. We may not see the immediate impact. The entire nation will be proud of this day very soon as it is a new dawn into an era that has evaded our nation for a long time. The corrupt and unlawful persons will know that there is no escape for them.

My heartiest congratulations to all the judges and our nation on this day of new hope for justice and prosperity in our beloved Pakistan. Long Live Pakistan!

15. jssidhoo says:

Hats off to the Pakistan SC

16. Rizwanul Huda (Canada) says:

Indeed a bold and historic decision by the supreme court of Pakistan. It is sure to have a deep impact on the present socio political system of Pakistan. It is hard to guess the real impact at present but this is a good sign and a warning to the corrupt elite group. There could be some tough situation in the near future because of this decision. However, to reach our goal we have to face all the challenges. To this success I should give credit to the media as well which has been highlighting all the issues relating to NRO.

17. Iqbal Khan says:

A historic and unprecedented decision. I hope people charged in corruption cases will be trialed fairly and without any political motivation. Pakistan Judiciary is going in the right direction and I hope and wish that they will have consistent progress from now on as well.

I hope the message goes across to all corrupt and powerful people sitting in homes, offices.

Let’s hope for the best outcome.

18. Arshad Mehmood says:

The Supreme Court’s decision is commendable. It will destabilize the corrupt rulers not the country.

19. M. Mansoor Baig, Ph.D says:

My congratulations to the people of Pakistan. This decision and non-interfering posture of the present govt. would have profound influence on developing strong institutions in Pakistan. The problem is that NAB, Judiciary, law makers and law enforcers all have to be brave and equally bold and honest to resolve this issue at an early date. We all have to think of ways to serve Pakistan, instead of thinking of ways on how to harvest or steal benefits from Pakistan. It is unfortunate that only few know the meaning of being a citizen and the consequent responsibilities. Chief Justice and other judges have attempted to pave the way for us all to become a Muhab-e-Watan. My salute to them all.

20. Malik Ashraf says:

This is the biggest gift SC has given to the people of Pakistan and to the Democratic governance. If SC decision implemented in letter and spirit, nation will harvest the fruits of trust among the rulers and masses and will usher into national unity. Now let us make this the new start to work hard to catch up with the lost time and set an example to be a strong independent nation in good cause. Good wishes and salute to SC judges and people.

21. Kharbindersingh says:

My best wishes are with Pakistan and I hope and wish that Pakistanis will stand firm in support of its current Supreme Court to successfully cross the bumpy road to progress, peace and justice.

22. S.RAHMAN says:

The best decision in history of Pakistan, without a doubt. It’s a ray of hope for young generation that in future, they can see towards courts for justice, which was not a present before. I hope and pray that this brings new era in Pakistan and we get rid of all the looter once for all.

23. aslam says:

Pakistan needs a strong judiciary, a strong democracy and a strong education system that is world class. Only then will it be able to compete with other nations and prosper.

24. Imran Qasim says:

Well I can see a soft revolution in my Great Pakistan.

When you see developed countries, they had to go through this phase also.

When you start criticizing yourself, this is the point where you start developing / progressing yourself.

Allah Bless Pakistan.

Love Pakistan.

25. expatriate says:

A step in right direction. No one should be above the law. CJ & other judges have gained
    some degree of public’s confidence. Law should apply fairly to all without any vendetta.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement