NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

NRO ruling: beginning of the end?

After much deliberation and debate inside the courts, in the media and among the general public, the Supreme Court of Pakistan has given its decision on the controversial National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that paved the way for the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to come into power.

The Supreme Court declared the NRO null and void in a short order which was passed unanimously by a 17-member bench.

The landmark decision is set to create ripples and shake up the government as all old cases and convictions that had been dismissed under the ordinance can now be revived as per the court orders.

Dawn.com invites its readers to comment on the court’s historic decision. Do you think the decision will create instability as claimed by the government? Do you think this move will serve to discourage corruption? How will this decision impact the political and security situation in Pakistan? Do you think that politicians and bureaucrats accused of corruption will now be held accountable? Do you think that the debate regarding NRO focuses too much on politicians and less on accountability measures?

The following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “NRO ruling: beginning of the end?”

1. Farooq Ahmed says:

It is no joke. Highly competent and well learned seventeen judges of the Supreme Court have unanimously declared the NRO illegal and unconstitutional. Truly speaking it was a blemish and black law. Now the question is how the decision is going to be implemented. I’m sure our honorable judges are fully aware what havoc these corrupt people can create?

Long live our fearless and bold judiciary.

2. Mohammed Unwala says:

Thank God that we now have independent judiciary. Our corrupt leaders must be prosecuted and punished.

3. A. J. Khan says:

Thank God once for all our SC is independent.
    This is a great news for our country and is loud and clear that no one is above the law and I salute this.

4. It is a right decision by SC. Now the govt. should not become obstacle and ask for resignation from the people who benefits from NRO. There are enough good people in every party which can replace who will resign.

I hope to see a better future shortly.

5. This is historic announcement by the Supreme Court. Now it is hoped that implementation of the judgment will follow, and the looted money will be back for the poor people of Pakistan. The culprits should be punished and all their assets in Pakistan or anywhere should be seized.

One of the writer wrote where will we find leaders if most of them are arrested? (shame)Now good people and literate people will be able to enter politics.

6. Saleem Akhtar, USA says:

Finally, hail to The Supreme Court (Iftikhar Chaudhery & Party of 17) who declared the land mark decision making NRO null and void. Will it be effective for the ruling party?

To bring the true and real democracy, the political parties of Pakistan should make there best efforts to bring all the looted wealth up to the last dime which could be used for the well being of Pakistan. All accused and involved persons in this loot and corruption game should be heavily punished and barred from holding any public office in the future. May Allah bless Pakistan with his Barakah for the prosperity and get rid of such corrupted persons. Ameen.

engsaleem

7. shafi says:

This decision by the Pakistan Supreme Court could be a turning point in the history of Pakistan provided all its clauses are honored by everyone. However knowing Pakistanis especially the politicians I am afraid there is going to be every trick in the world that would be employed by them to escape the justice.

Let us not forget that it was the NRO that brought many of its beneficiaries to their present powerful position. Would they give it up? I very much doubt it.

8. Reehan Malik says:

This is a much awaited decision. Would do unknown and great good for the country. And now is the time to take stock of all the white collar crime and punish those who have been facilitating such criminal activity for their short term and personal gains while sitting in the lofty offices. All civil and army bureaucrats must answer.

9. BluntTalker says:

The court decision is bold and correct. It should augur well for the future of Pakistan as this judgement makes a clear statement that no deal can provide protection against corruption. It will surely make it tougher for an average politician/bureaucrat to indulge in blatant corruption going forward. As to the question, “Will there be no corruption in future?” the clear answer is “No”. The corrupt persons will crop up and will find ways to evade detection and punishment. That is all right. At least, honest persons know now that they have a fairer shake at successes and rewards going forward. Heartfelt kudos to CJ and his brave colleagues on the Supreme Court.

10. N. Mirza says:

Long live our courts!

Thank you very much!

I hope these bigot and corrupt politicians (including their families and friends)are realizing that their day of reckoning is here. NOW!

I also hope that citizens of our country wake up from their slumber and make some honest decisions about their own and their children’s future.

11. Arif says:

I appreciate the decision of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. NAB should be independent otherwise this will be a futile exercise. Everyone should be asked about his assets and his means of income including journalists, generals, judges and bureaucracy not only politicians.

12. Adil Khan says:

May God bless the 17 member bench, God bless the judiciary for taking such a stand. They should stay steadfast in the face of corruption, injustice and persecution, even if it means giving their life for their country. This decision has set a precedent for times to come moreover, it has strengthened Pakistani people’s faith in the judiciary that had previously been in shambles.

Pakistan Zindabad

13. A K Niazi says:

Someone has to uphold the law. For giving immunity to corrupt politicians from any trial in the court of law, ex dictator should be put on trial.

14. King says:

I don’t know why people are saying this is so historic we all knew what the court was going to say, that the NRO is going to be null and void. Ch Iftikhar came back through public support if he doesn’t perform then he will be seen as a villain very quickly in the public eye. But I do appreciate that this was a right decision.

15. NASIR SAEED says:

Who said that in PAKISTAN everyone gets away with anything, may be in the past but not now.

I absolutely solute CJ He is a very brave man to take this step and make his authority known and truth always thrive and cheaters can not be forgiven.

16. NASIR SAEED says:

Right now I can see the light end of the tunnel. This decision couldn’t have come any earlier. We need change and we need to get rid of these corrupt and unlawful powerful people.

Insha-ALLAH with GRACE of GOD this decision will definitely change things for GOOD in Pakistan and we will be able to crush bad people soon.

17. Naveed Shakoor says:

Excellent decision! This is only the first step. Judiciary must make sure that implementation takes place with full force and nobody escapes. This decision will however be deemed politically motivated unless a second step to bring to book all pre NRO corruption cases and loan defaulters also takes place. This may leave a political vacuum as there may be no politician left!

18. mohammad junaid says:

Agree with all the positive comments especially the independence of the judiciary. I hope this is true reflection of the judicial system in Pakistan. My family have suffered from the same Judicial system in the past because of corrupt Judges who give their ruling based on who could bribe them the most. The first step chief justice have to do is to bring his house in order.

19. Amirali Shallwani says:

Great decision by the Supreme Court.

God bless Pakistan, Pakistan Zindabad.

20. NK says:

This is a giant leap forward. I am cautiously optimistic that it would be a major blow to the big fishes. Only time will tell how beneficial would it be for Pakistan.

21. Shareiq says:

Bravo! Finally some thing that would bring accountability to the nation. Kudo’s to the bench of 17 judges. Hope the political fall out can be contained and properly managed this time.

22. Saket says:

There is no wrong time to do the right thing… Bravo…

23. Naseer Qureshi says:

I am pleased and relieved to hear a good news today about the nullification of NRO. All those who are involved in heinous crimes and corruption should be brought to justice. NRO was a discriminatory law that encourages corruption with impunity. First time in the history of Pakistan Supreme Court of Pakistan is finally making independent decisions without any fear of persecution from the government.
    I applaud the decision and hope all beneficiaries of this law face justice.

Long Live SCP
    Long Live Pakistan

24. Munawar says:

This is excellent decision, but it is also important to take back country money. We are sick and tired from these two face politicians. They are bunch of corrupts who put the in country in such grave condition.

25. Azam Chowdhry says:

I am proud of our supreme court. It has done justice without any pressure. In my opinion no one should have the immunity including President and Governors.

Azam Chowdhry
    USA

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement