Terrorists target Shia procession in Karachi

Terrorists target Shia procession in Karachi

Dawn.com invites its readers to share eye-witness accounts and photographs from the incident.

An explosion occurred on Karachi’s M.A. Jinnah road on Monday during a Shia procession commemorating Ashura.

For the city of lights, it’s the third blast in three days and the latest in a series of blasts that have taken place during the holy month of Muharram.

Photographs can be sent at photos@dawn.com

*In response to Dawn.com’s forum, an eyewitness, Waheed Zuberi, shares his photographs from the explosion during the Ashura procession on M.A. Jinnah Road on Monday afternoon.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/media-gallery/18-Through-the-eyes-of-a-Karachiite-am

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

264 Responses to “Terrorists target Shia procession in Karachi”

1. shehzad says:

The time they take to control the terrorist reaching their target, they blew themselves, if they had stunned gun, they can avert many incidents. They can use it even on suspicious persons.

2. shehzad says:

Our Gouverment should allow to import, metal detector. Every mosque and Imambargha, and organizor of jaloos can lend it from Government for special days.

3. shams says:

The silent majority has to rise against this barbaric violence engulfing our country. If not, they are as guilty as the terrorists.

4. Aysha Khan says:

Zahid-

Well said that is exactly what we need to realize and the enemy is our twisted religious ideology.

5. Kailash Mathur says:

I am addressing this to all Pakistanis. Pakistan is a nation and needs to grow and prosper. The friends of Pakistanis are not necessarily other Pakistanis or Muslims. For attaining growth and prosperity religion is not going to be helpful. Peace loving people throughout the world need to unite and send a strong message to the groups who have the ideology to kill for a good cause. There can never be a good cause for killing and there are no enemies which we have to kill. Lead a peaceful life. God wants us to be peaceful. Those who kill will never reach the heavens.

6. RRN says:

My sympathies to the families who lost their loved one’s.

7. tss says:

Let me first pray for the families who lost loved ones, we cannot estimate the sorrow and sufferings they had. I just came back from my home town Karachi, I was shocked to see the poor state of security in the wake of regular attacks across the country. My heart bleeds when I saw our own country men damaging and burning their own brothers properties. While I was in my city I shopped same area which is burnt now, I never observed any surveillance and security which must be in place as country is in war.

Considering the huge population, Government cannot provide the required security but they do import latest technology to monitor remotely. I totally agree that in first place no ordinary person would have opposed the limited procession idea and some surprise route changes. No offence but we have no order to mourn after 3 days. Even mourning for own wife not allowed after 3 days. I understand the sacrifice of Karabala which does not need us to do matam on roads rather to follow. Now Ulema need to stand against radicals and apologize to not only shia’s victims families for not listening to Govt. but also help the businesses to come out of losses.

8. Shahid says:

@ Talha

According to you if we don’t blame authorities then who responsible for this. Isn’t it their responsibility to provide security.

9. Saqib M Khan says:

Terrorists have no religion and the only ideology they believe in is leashing terror, death and destruction on the innocent people.

Their objective is to breed hatred amongst the communities and destroy countries economies.

10. Juma says:

Great tragedy has stricken Pakistani nation as a whole. People of all faiths in Pakistan are united as Pakistanis and find this tragedy as unacceptable. This appears to be an opportunist attempt by terrorists to destabilize Pakistan by creating a sectarian divide. It is the old enemy strategy called “Divide, create chaos and Rule or destroy” – But they have failed as Pakistanis are smart people and are now more united and vigilant against the enemy. It’s Past Due time for the Govt. to step up to the plate and prove to it’s public that it can protect them and that it is able to protect the nation from the enemy that has infiltrated the peaceful nation of Pakistan.

11. Raj says:

Very sad to know this. People who do these blasts can not be human. I pray for the departed souls and their families.

12. Ahmed says:

Heart breaking news. May Allah bless the souls of those who lost their lives.

Having said that, I just don’t understand the mindset of Pakistani people. I mean we are at war, how in the world can you think that having a JALOOS this big would be uneventful?

13. rahat hussain says:

Salam to every shia community.

We are the follower of Imam Hussain (A.S), therefore we should remain united in every field of life and should keep an eye on yazeed-a-waqt, either its in form of taliban or in form of any other. We should pray for those people who lost their lives in the recent blast. We should not burn our own shops and markets but we should come forward to fight against terrorism.

And in the last I pay homage those who die in the recent blast and pray ALLAH to send them in heaven. AMEEN.

14. Sikander says:

Assalamu-Alaikum, as a Sunni, I strongly condemn these acts of barbarism towards fellow Muslims. How can the perpetrators of such hideous acts claim to believe in “La Illaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasool Allah”. Regardless of the differences in ideologies we must not forget that we are all Muslims and there are plenty of external forces / enemies that we have to contend with. May Allah give sabar to the families of the departed and give us Muslims hidayat.

15. Farhan Ali says:

The best way to defeat these terrorists is to continue living our daily lives. The main aim of these terrorists is to bring us to our knees so that we either surrender of we start negotiating with them.

There should be NO surrender and NO negotiations with terrorists. We need to show them that we are not afraid of death, we will not let them dictate their terms to us

These processions must continue since they represent one of the very first stands of Muslims (under Imam Hussain) confronting the nefarious plans of Terrorists (under Yazid).

Long Live Pakistan.

16. Bob the Builder from Texas says:

The safest and most rewarding method is to read the Quran and beg to Allah to send the rewards & blessings to the family of the Prophet, peace be upon him.

17. zehra says:

Destructive evil thoughts turned into this incident, where we lost many precious lives. Our condolence can’t give smile on the mother who lost her son, sister who lost her brother, wife who lost husband though we can’t even give them protection for rest of their life.

In this circumstances our leaders are doing nothing.

At this stage we all Muslim shia/sunni are together and trying to fight against terrorism, but according to my point of view this blast is truly connected to shops on fire tragedy. May Allah give punishment on this earth to those who destroy peace.

I heard that people are talking about the lost of shops and money, just think for a while for those whose house is on fire.

Things are to be used and people are to be loved but in this cruel world this saying going on opposite way.

18. Bob the Builder from Texas says:

All Pakistanis must caution themselves, that what happened during the ashora procession might happen again, and plan accordingly to keep them safe.

19. Ali says:

It is indeed a very sad incident that rocked Karachi on Ashura of Shohada e Karbala.

Stand for the truth even its bitter (Imam Hussain A.S)

Never Bow down in front of oppression (Imam Hussain A.S)

What I saw in the footage of the blast was No ALAM fell even where the blast occurred that’s the shaan of Hazrat Abbas and Imam Hussain A.S
    We are the followers of Ahle Bait and can not be threatened by any kind of act.

20. Aysha Khan says:

Someone commented:

“Feel sorry for our country and country men. All we can do is pray.”

So that is “All” we can do??? Just Pray???

I believe the only answer is a secular Pakistan. Religion is a personal matter. This realization will take decades of education to change the twisted ideology of religion embedded in our minds. In the meantime, the blood will flow.

21. Aysha Khan says:

I 100% agree with my Indian brother Soman Dahar:

“It is time that our Pakistani brothers realized that the mortal enemy is one with a twisted ideology and they will kill people of any religion to push their agenda.”

22. Aysha Khan says:

Does anyone have answer to HN’s question below?

“Some one commented “How a Muslim could kill another Muslim is beyond belief?”
    Is a Muslim killing another Muslim any different that a Muslim killing Non Muslim?”

@Mahesh Patel- well said

“How a Muslim can kill Muslims? Please for God’s sake change this attitude. Please ask yourself, How a human being can kill so many people. Do not attach religion to these people. If you do so you would not win this war.”

23. Ali Hussein says:

Instead of all this infighting and arguing, we must pray for calm and peace in the World.

The resulting riots, rampage and wholesale destruction of shops (people’s livelihoods) is a typical cowardly reaction of the ignorant and weak nation we have become.

Instead of being brave and venting our frustration and demanding our fundamental right to security, peace and justice from the Pak Gov and Army, we turn against each other.

It would be more honorable and dignified if we march, protest, demonstrate against our corrupt ruling elite than to destroy our own country.

24. Schazad says:

I am sunni muslim and I really feel the pain for our shia brothers. We all are Muslims. We’ve been living together for so long with no problems, how come now there is a problem. I have gone to school with my shia brothers and my best friend is shia too. I don’t see any difference. And all and all we are just human beings. Let’s live peacefully and in the same way as we have been living together for so many years. What is the problem in that.

We all say that these people can’t be Muslims who kill other Muslims. If these people are not among us, then who are they? If someone knows who are they, then give proof and put it forward to the world. Just by saying that these people are not among us, is not enough.

25. Zeeshan Dogar says:

Pakistan has gone beyond the debacle of sectarian violence and evolved into something much more menacing.

A lot of people disagree with the shia school of thought and vice versa, but only in Pakistan will someone kill another man over it.

The consensus is that Pakistan will disintegrate toward the end of this painful civil war.

What happened to the vibrant, innocent Pakistan of the seventies and eighties? How did so many things change so fast, in such a short space of time?

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement