Reliving March 25, 1992

Reliving March 25, 1992

March 25, 1992 will always be remembered as one of the most glorious days in the history of Pakistan cricket. It was on this day, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, that Imran Khan’s ‘cornered tigers’ completed their fairytale journey at the cricket world cup. Wasim Akram’s magic, Ramiz Raja’s flight of victory, Aamir Sohail’s sajda, Imran Khan’s controversial speech are the various moments that spring to mind when one recollects the magical 22-run win.

What is your favourite moment from the final? Where did you watch it? Did you think Pakistan would be able to pull it off? Who was your player of the match?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

293 Responses to “Reliving March 25, 1992”

1. Shakir says:

I think Imran Khan’s innings is the difference b/w two teams. He scored 70 and had a great partnership with Miandad

2. afraz khan says:

One of the finest and memorable moments in the history of Pakistan cricket ever recorded, I had finished my school and was in college at that time but still can collect every single memory and cherish those wonderful moments and will through out my life, to me it was the tale of determination, gelling of the team at the right time, strong teamwork and above all dynamic leadership of Imran Khan, he really had his players fight like tigers and integrate the will to succeed in every player. and last but not the least its my humble opinion that destiny was already written for Pakistan glory because if Paksitan could not have won at that time to me Imran’s dream of cancer hospital could not have accomplished. It was after that victory charity and lots of money pour in for that noble cause. Allah almighty helps always comes when one is on right path to accomplish something right. Allah works in mysterious ways.

3. Ummer says:

Hi
    I remember that event. I was 12 years old. I still remember that great occasion when we were watching final match in the main market. When Akram took the last wicket, we came up with Pakistani flags and hosted them on buildings. Every one was jubilant. We distributed sweets among the people. These were fine moments for us. People talked about the same match for whole year. I still have paper cuttings from that match. I am sure no Pakistani had preserved those paper cuttings. My question is now.? Where is that passion? Pakistani sports are now meek? We don’t find players like Imran Khan, Wasim etc. Pakistani cricket has gone down. Your team is at no 8. Your hockey team is at 12th position. Do something, so that you can reach to past glory………. If you struggle then recall….. Dil Dil Pakistan ….. This will help.

4. Pakistani says:

It was great joy for me…. however I still belive that despite having the best of cricketers Pakistan was a unpredicatable team than and Pakistan is an unpredictable team now….

The best moment of the game offcourse was Wasim’s two successive wickets.

5. BayStreetGuy says:

WOW!! How years go by us!

I remember the proud moment, I was watching the game with my late father (a huge cricket fan), I had just finished the grade 10 board exams, as soon as they won we ran outside, everyone on my street in Lahore came out of the house, we had tears in our eyes and were just dancing jumping around in joy….

Now 18 years later I am in Toronto, occassionally reading about Lahore and Pakistan through Dawn.com

Thanks for rekindling the memories

6. Usman says:

I was only 7 can you believe it and I remember vividly the green shirts on Tv. Not surprisingly then our Tv was not fixed so we borrowed one from our neighbours. I remember asking my Aunty what is happening on the field and she said Imran Khan is about to win us the world cup and he did! Imran’s been a hero in my books since that day, maybe we will be lucky enough to see him lead the country.

7. Yakoob says:

I was there at the MCG with hundereds of other Pakistanis and it was my second year in Austalia. I remembered carrying big flag all the way to home walking and being congratulated by almost every one on the way.

It was leadership, dedication and team work that helped us to get there. My favourite moment was when Wasim Akram took two wickets in one over by bowling great inswing. What we missing now is leadership, attitude, professionalism and dedication. The team should realise that cricket is source of their income so they must work hard and being honest with their profession.

Yakoob

8. faisal says:

I was in medical college, there was a wild celebration afterwards! I thnk the credit for that victory goes to Imran Khan. His dictatorial style of leadership is what is missing today. He set an example for his teamates and in return had the backing of his cricket board and respect of his teamates.

Such passion, such talent, ahhh those were the days. I wish we would get a national leader like Imran the cricketer.

9. Muhammedh says:

In 1992 I was studying my 11th standard in a remote village in South India when no TV facilities available but could listen to the Radio. Myself and my uncle listened to the PAK’s scoring and win and it was unexplainable since then being an Indian came a big PAK fan and still following the games with that same hope because Wasim followed Imran and now my favorite AFRIDI is captain.

Message to PCB: Completely encourage and support the present team WAQAR, IJAZ, AFRIDI, then see the result because from these 3 eyes you can see the passion, etc. Make AFRIDI captain for all 3 formats and don’t disturb players too often, am saying with considerations of other players awaiting to play for this great nation.

10. Rana says:

The whole team performed well and I am sure there must be many magical moments but how many people remember that the team was losing match after match? One more match lost and we would be out.

People remember only the end.

But what I remember and what I liked the most is some thing different, not merely the win.

I am not a cricket fan and I was not following the tournament but coincidentally I did watch an interview of the Captain and being asked, to the effect, ‘so, Pakistan is almost out of the tournament!’ Came to my mind ‘not yet’ but in my heart I was not very proud. And the Captain replied ‘not yet, rather we can clinch the trophy if we win all of the remaining matches and we can that!’ And I said ‘wow!’

I wish we get leadership and executives like that for running of the whole country.
    God bless.

11. rishi says:

Hi I remember that match and I was sad that India dint make it to finals. But then I wanted Pakistan to be defeated in finals but when I learn’t that England was in finals too then like big brother I prayed to god to let Pakistan win and it did. We like Wasim Akram who is good gentleman … but Imran khan’s speech was clear shame and embarrassment for Pakistan who seemed to take it as personal victory.

12. Taj Wazir says:

March 25th, 1992 was a great day for the entire Pakistani nation and we made history in the cricket world. But we must not live in the past and we must move on to the future with the fighting spirit and sincere team work so we can repeat the history in the cricket world again. We need sincere Administrator with vision ( not friends or relatives) who can really promote fighting spirit in each and everyone of our cricket players including team’s coach and manager. I don’t think it will be a bad idea if we hand over the chairmanship of the Pakistan Cricket Board to Imran Khan (if he is willing to quit the Politics, I hope he does). After all that’s what he does the very best.

13. Aqil Siddiqi says:

Yes, of course I remember that match with fondness, and still make me smile, when ever I rerun those magical moments in my mind. We seems to forget one very important thing, and that is, in the days of Imran’s leadership, it was the Miandad’s magical, and foxy kind of game plans, that won many many matches for Pakistan, including that world cup. Not only, Javed is a legend in batting, but also in device a plan, as how to beat the best in the game. A very very clever mind. Having said that, it was a total team effort, and our prayers to go along with them. I can never forget the innings of Inzi, Moin, Imran and of course Javed, that won the last stages for us. I wish, if Imran and Javed can join forces once again, to resurect Pakistan Cricket from it’s present demise.

14. Syed says:

I see a lot of appreciation for Mr. Imran Khan. But please do not forget that he never thanked his team, crowd or even Allah. He said that this world cup will help him to build his hospital.
    A leader always thank his team and appreciate their efforts. Without them he cannot do a thing. I think it was Javed Miandad who played an inning for Pakistan. Wasim Akram who bowled furiously. Other players who got together and won the world cup.
    All what I would like to point out is, this was not a ONE MAN SHOW, instead as few said TEAM EFFORT.

!!!! CONGRAT AND THANK YOU TEAM PAKISTAN FOR MAKING US PROUD !!!!

15. KAB says:

My favorite moment is the way Ian Botham was walking in displeasure towards pavilion after caught behind by Moin Khan off Wasim Akram for a duck.

16. AJ says:

Being an Indian, I was sad at that time as we always saw Pakistanis as rivals, but I have always loved those two delieveries from Akram. He was the hero and he is still one of the most respected Pakistani cricketer in my eyes.Miandad was also a true fighter and it was the good to see him a part of that winning team.
    Apart from that, our Muslim neighbors celebrated on Pakistani victory, which became kind of controversial, but this has been a controversy in India for long. Nothing new.
    Good luck to current pakistani team.

17. Mujahid Siddiqui says:

How could I forget that night!!! Large contingent of Pakistani student from Wayne State University in Detroit gathered at a Pakistani business man house, who was gracious enough to set up a big screen TV in his basement with all night serving of tea and refreshments. I believe, all prayed fajer in jammat after the win.
    I know we were quiet nervous when Alan Lamb was playing and we thought had he stayed another half an hour so Pakistan would have lost. But then came the two magical deliveries from Wasim Akram and everyone jumped from their seats from prolong roar and jubilations.
    One of the best nights of my life. I wonder, if will ever have such experience again in my life!!

18. Aqeel Jafri says:

oh boy what a day that was……

Yes! I vividly remember that historic day as I was physically present in the MCG. Having been to the previous Benson and Hedges cup match (1990 – because we lost) I didn’t want to go and didn’t even buy the tickets. But at the last moment a friend of mine called that he has a spare ticket and if I would like to accompany him. I am happy that I accepted his offer.

I am not a big cricket follower but whenever there is a discussion about cricket, I always brag about this match that as far as the Pakistani cricket goes, I have seen and been to the mother of all matches and I have no more desire to go and see any other match.

The whole crowd supported Pakistani team all the way because of the Australian rivalry with the English. we were sitting next to a enclosure where all the England supporters were sitting and I remember that one of the placards said “But who has the Ashes” (reference to the Ashes cup which I believe England had at that time).

The atmosphere was eclectic. After the match we blocked the road in front of the Hilton hotel, where Pakistani team was staying and celebrated the victory by doing bhangra. Luckily Police and people were understanding and nobody got arrested.

A great moment in Pakistan’s sports history indeed.

Aqeel

19. Mansoor Iqbal says:

I was in grade 2.. was around 7 years old i guess, i remember my finals were goin on. But still used to watch the matches which used to come live and free on T.V .Antenna in Dubai, U.A.E.

That was was the first i watched cricket, and it was the first time Pakistan won the World Cup!!.

Aur haan!, one more thing, i still remember that World Cup Song .. “World is coming down and the flags are up” wala :-D

20. dr.shahid says:

l live in srinagar (Indian occupied Kashmir), at that time i was just 10 years old. I still remember we had difficulty to watch the matches as no direct matches were telecast-ed here. But the people erected the antennae on the roof, but the problem was you could only watch and you couldn’t heard the commentary, that you had to listen by radio. It was a great moment for us here when our team won the match, every body was so existed that i cant express. still when talk about that moment, one can not stop his emotions. Every player in the team took the responsibility, it was a teams effort. Credit goes to all players including the captain. Long Live Pakistan

21. Saima Khan says:

For Imran;s Lover

Amir Sohail said in his interview as follow:

HB: Was Imran Khan a dictator as captain?

AS: He was. But everyone keeps talking about Imran as the best leader Pakistan had and what they don’t realise was when Imran was captain his cousin was the chairman of the PCB and another cousin was the chief selector. He had all the power and the players knew if they would get into something fishy they would be thrown out of the team.

Source:
    http://www.cricinfo.com/talk/content/multimedia/453077.html

22. Dawar Naqvi says:

Pakistan only Five matches in the world cup 92.

Greatest Batsman Pakistan ever produce Javed Miandad scores more than 50 runs in each innings which Pakistan won. He was the highest scorer of the world cup 92.

Amazingly we never heard from Imran Khan about the role of Javed Miandad in winning world cup 92.
    Recenly Amir Sohail said in his interview:

HB: Was Imran Khan a dictator as captain?

AS: He was. But everyone keeps talking about Imran as the best leader Pakistan had and what they don’t realise was when Imran was captain his cousin was the chairman of the PCB and another cousin was the chief selector. He had all the power and the players knew if they would get into something fishy they would be thrown out of the team.

Source:
    http://www.cricinfo.com/talk/content/multimedia/453077.html

We lost world cup 87 under Imran Khan Captain Ship, He preferred Salim Jaffer over Wasim Akram in the semi final. He gave 6 times chances in the same wc to his blue eyed choice Mansoor Akhtar ho scored 19 runs in total 6 innings. That was a Miandad who won the world cup for Pakistan. Listen to Imran interview after the wc, did he play for Pakistan?

• Kublai Khan says:

Dawar! Whats Amir Sohail’s say on who was the Chairman and Chief selector of PCB when Pakistan Beat India in India and England in England.

One should give the person credit where it is due.

I would love to know that.

Thanks

23. Faria says:

Imran Khan had won the match before it began with the ‘cornered tigers statement’

24. Naseer Mehmood says:

Many cricket viewers think even today that Pakistan 1992 WC victory was unexpected and a kind of miracle. I don’t believe much on this. Yes of course there is some luck which help Pakistan team, but if one analyzed those matches logically then those viewers may have to think otherwise. Just think, Pakistan team in 92 WC had 2 most experienced cricketers, Imran and Miandad; best fast bowler in the WC 92, Wasim Akram, and several players who were not afraid of losing in the WC92, such as Amir Sohail, Moin Khan, Aaqib Javed and Inzama-mul-Haq. All these players played their natural games. Both Imran and Miandad also had experienced of playing in all previous WC. Both Imran and Miandad knew from their previous losses in WC, which also included 1987 WC that what matters the most to won games at crucial moments, i.e, never say never, and always fight till the end. Pakistan had the best ever team to play any WC was in 1987; Pakistan was favorite but still lost to Australia in semi-final. It was not the team, but there were crucial errors made in that semi-final match against Australia, including the handing over last over to Saleem Jaffer, which cost 17 runs-same margin of Aus Victory. Keeping in view all such and similar mistakes made, both Imran and Miandad led the team gracefully to lift the WC 1992. I am afraid in current team, many players are just fake performers, such as scoring pr taking wickets against weak opposition or when team really does not need such performance. In addition, managements is even worse than players; there are certain mafia which control the selection of players, and also entirely responsibility for destroying the future of younger and talented players.

25. Sharuk says:

The memories are still fresh in my mind… I was in high school in Karachi and they had to cancel classes and postpone exams simply because no one was showing up for school that day. Watched the game on the big screen (live on Star Plus), and boy I tell you did they play like champions. Thinking about it excites me, we won the World Cup with a team that on paper was not all that strong compared to the World Cups that followed….just goes to show the determination, commitment and discipline Imran’s boys showed…Ode to them….

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement