Reliving March 25, 1992

Reliving March 25, 1992

March 25, 1992 will always be remembered as one of the most glorious days in the history of Pakistan cricket. It was on this day, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, that Imran Khan’s ‘cornered tigers’ completed their fairytale journey at the cricket world cup. Wasim Akram’s magic, Ramiz Raja’s flight of victory, Aamir Sohail’s sajda, Imran Khan’s controversial speech are the various moments that spring to mind when one recollects the magical 22-run win.

What is your favourite moment from the final? Where did you watch it? Did you think Pakistan would be able to pull it off? Who was your player of the match?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

293 Responses to “Reliving March 25, 1992”

1. Bilal Choudry says:

After the match finished the camera was on imran and someone grabbed his arm from behind and he turned around and it was miandad who hugged him and then together they waved the pakistan flag that to me is the best moment of pakistan cricket

2. Saulat says:

Wasim Akram getting IAN Botham Love that one :)

3. Amir Khan says:

Everyone contributed in this game! Even Salim Malik, who had a horrible Cup and came to face the last ball of Pak’s innings. He looked so disinterested but then even he chipped in with perhaps the best fielding display of the game. He fired in a throw from close to the boundary line that landed perfectly in front of Moin Khan to run an Englishman out. We all remember Wasim Akram, Imran, Miandad and Inzy for their heroics but it was these bits that made it a perfect “team” display!

Long live Pakistan cricket!

4. spiron says:

The 92 world cup is kinda favorite of mine.
    I was young but old enough to understand what a carnival the WC was for cricket.

That was my first world cup when i enjoyed the euphoria. all of 9 yrs old and i could sense the joy around.
    It still remains the WC with best team jersey and that it was being held in Australia made it even more joyous to watch. The batsmen scoring on zipping fast pitches made the setting look perfect.

India Pak Clash was keenly watched and other matches were switched on just to feel the excitement in the veins.
    I was happy that a country from the subcontinent won that WC.
    Immaculate stadiums, superstars of that era and keenly fought contests.. The images of Imran khan applauding the viewers as he walked are still fresh in my memories.

Even though i am from India.. i watched Wasim Akram in full swing.

5. Azhar says:

Wow.
    The best moment was of course :-
    1. Wasim’s greatest bowls ever cleaning Alan Lamb and Lewis…

6. asad says:

Too many to mention but top 2 in for me were

1. Mushtaq’s cheekiness against a very confused Dermot Reeve…

2. Miandad and Imran hugging at the end…

7. Proud Indian says:

Those words echo..Imran’s voice saying…In the twilight of my career…The sight of Wasim approching the wickets …Aamir Sohail…Wot a team..All good except Miandad, who cud be a good cricketer, but can never match Inzy, Aamir Sohail,Imran, Wasim Akram, Ramiz Raja’s popularity with Indians..

• Basilbenz says:

You are dead wrong, Miandad was far greater cricketer than the cricketers you mentioned. Yes he lacked grace, but you do need characters like him in the team. Not many of us liked Shashtri, Maninder Singh and Sidhu but we do admire fellows like Sanjay manjerakar, even though Sanjay’s contribution to the team wasn’t much.

• Atta says:

Miandad is probably unpopular among indian because of his last ball six in Sharjah.

• Proud Indian says:

Not really, no one really remembers that incident..what i meant was his approach and body language gave negative vibes to us all..there was too much of hostility in his behaviour..It’s a game..see Saeed Anwar, the kind of grace he depicted while applauding Sachin for his recent 200..That is the true sportsman…

• Basilbenz says:

Shashtri does, he says himself that he can still hear the echo of the shot!!

I’m not a big fan of Miandad, but i have to say that his contribution to the game was far bigger than the likes of Akram(lucky to have got away with just fine),Sohail,Inzi and Rameez.

• Imran says:

The greatest sixer in the history “ever”. Trust me, every Indian remembers that last ball six till today. It was heard across the globe. That six was so huge that it psychologically demorilized the 1.1 Billion people of this world, also know as “India”.

For the next 15 years, the Indian team were already defeated the moment they stepped into the field to play a game of cricket against Pakistan. India lost to Pakistan practically at every cricket match thereafter to the point that BCCI declared a heitus against Pakistan. During all that time, the greatest jubilation for an Indian cricket fan was if India would win a one-off game against Pakistan; as if they had suddenly discovered the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

If Miandad was a boxer, it would be the greatest knockout of all times.

• Proud Indian says:

Trust me Imran only pessimist people remember that sixer.. Those 1,1 billion are alive and kicking, whereas those who remember are no where in sight. It’s for the impregnated feelings of help ness that forces you to write such glorious thoughts in this neutral playground!

• Irfan says:

Its not about India all the time, Miandad is one of the greatest batsman of our country and we totally dont care what he thinks and says about India.

• mansoor says:

proud indian, u said it right, Miandad has been an unpopular figure amongst Indians, particularly because of his “aping” incident with Kiran More in the 1992 world cup league match, but he still remains one of the finest batsmen the country has ever produced

• Proud Indian says:

@ Mansoor he was one of the best batsman of his times..No doubt…My favourite although remains Zaheer Abbas…Asif Iqbal and Majid Khan pair was a treat to watch too..

• Sudheer says:

My favourite batsmen is InzI bhai…nice relaxed and laid back attitude…he had all the time in the world to play his shots, bowl a delivery and he had timing to sip tea in between and then play his shot.

• Mirza says:

Guys don’t be distorted! The discussion or the blog is not where you took it to… Actually we are not discussing the moral qualities of the player, everyone has certain good and certain bad values as a human. But being the teammate and as a player, Pakistan may never find the player of his class and the thinking of the cricket…

One moment is memorable for everyone and that was Imran and Javed were hugging after the triumph. But! Has any analyze that Imran along with his own had a great cricketing mind in the field which supported him. This was also one of the factors in winning the team.

Otherwise the team Pakistan had in 1996 and 1999 was much much better in terms of resources and maturity. But the lacking was of the supporting mind and rifts among the players! As everybody is not Imran, Wasim was a good captain but he had no one like Miandad in the field.

We cherish our memories and especially the moment when Imran brought Wasim back into the attack… and the sentence “Pakistan has won the World Cup” is still striking my ears…

Anyways no harsh feelings, everyone did right! You know success supersedes the faults at the end of the day. No body has ever tried to question the performances against England, India and West Indies in World Cup 1992 because finally you have won the Cup for which you were there! Converse analysis is up to you guys!!!

8. Alina says:

You have got to be kidding if you say that which moment is the most
    favourite of match … I think every one did their best and every moment is golden moment I have ever seen in my life …
    Wasim Akram’s magic, Ramiz Raja’s flight of victory, Aamir Sohail’s sajda, Imran Khan’s controversial speech …..

9. Only leadership of imram khan brought world cup to Pakistan . I am Indian and I greatly respect is leadership . especially making team united in every ups and down in each and every match , too good strategy… also leading young brigade with cool head .just amazing …… every young cricketer in Pakistani & india should watch these videos ..” Basic thing fight till last ball “..”

10. Muhammad Shuaib says:

1- Favourite moment was removing Lamb and Lewis by Wasim Akram.
    2- We watched this match at a specially arranged gathering at friend’s place. Were mainting our own score card, cutting down deliveries, mainting averages, hearts were beating high all through the match.
    3- Well, pulling it out, the WCup? I think we always had the hope because of:
    a- Our Captain was confident through the tournament, though losing in earlier matches, he always gave us hope in his interviews,
    b- Sunil Gwaskar’s analysis/comments were positive
    c- We were praying in purity before Al mighty, as Ramzan was being observed those days.
    4- Player of the match is no doubt Imran Khan.
    After the match we all raised our hands like Rameez Raja did. Our faces got red, we were hugging, dancing, tears and were not getting idea how we could express our feelings of that great victory. We went into the street and saw that every one else is like us, not saying anything to other about the match but faces were telling that everybody is controlling his emotion, jubilation all the way.

11. Fahad Khan says:

When all the players fell in SAJDA-E-SHUKR after winning the match!

12. Fahad says:

“The world coming down the flags are up ,whose gonna be number one whose gonna takes up the cup….”
    This songs comes in our mind when thought about the WC -92, those days were the best days, wake up early in mornings , ramdan, school , homeworks , and then all the times discussing in class rooms about matches.
    I was too young on those days do not exactly recall all that moments but truly speaking so cherishable and memorable days were those. Spectacular performance of the team, but the maxium credit goes to charismatic capitan Imran Khan.

13. Mohammad Haris says:

my favourite moment of the match were when Aamir Sohail’s sajda,i watch that match at my home, OFF course Imran khan is the player of the match

14. Saleem Dawoodi says:

I was in Karachi and watched the final at home, I remember all of other matches before the final we watched together at the university, it was just awesome, unbelievable. Akram’s two bursts just did it. We live in Sydney and had the opportunity to go to MCG two years back and was just imagining a full house and Pakistanis in the middle winning it.

15. Khalid Muhammad says:

My great moments of the match were:

1- When Wasim bowled Alan Lamb and Chris lowis
    2- When after the win Miandad gives Pakistan Flag to Imran Khan and they Hug each other, quite a heart warming moment.

16. Tarique Aslam Qureshi says:

Its 18 years gone since that magical moment came in the lives of Pakistanis. But the feelings and emotions are still there in the heart and minds of every cricket lover in Pakistan. To me, whenever I recall the moments of that WC92 final, I go LOST in my memories. The way Pakistan team ended up reaching the finals and eventually winning is nothing but a fairytale.

Being a kid of 5th standard, I had watched it at home with my family. Yes I was certain Pakistan would win in it. My player of the match was Jawed Miandad certainly. He had anchored the innings the time it was required and consolidated it for the rest of the batsmen like Imran Khan and Wasim Akram in the end to capitalize on.

My favorite moment was lofted sweep of Graham Gooch on the bowling of Mushtaq Ahmed, that saw Aqib Jawed running in from the boundary, well focused, falling forward, pouching the ball, bruising his knees, having his pant torn…. Yet a jubilant sprint towards the bowler Mushtaq Ahmed who was delighted at this magical catch. The moment reached its enjoyable end when the screens showed Graham Gooch standing in bewilderment at the pitch on how can Aqib grab it.

Amazing ! Truly Amazing ….

17. Uss says:

It was really a great moment in Pakistan Cricket history and truely became special because Pakistan has done it Oz on hard and bouncy tracks.May current Pakistan team will show the same spirit and achive the past glory.

18. Nuruddin Lakhani says:

We watched the game at the common room of our hostel. It was noisy . . . and got even more noisy once Alan Lamb was cleaned up by Wasim Akram. As I was watching Shane Warne’s “ball of the century” with my son (14 years old), he asked me if that was the best ball I ever saw . . . and my answer was no! The best ball that I ever saw was Wasim’s bowling Alan Lamb . . . and that was the moment of the game.

19. Krish says:

where can I see the recording of that match. I didn’t see it. I am from India

20. Amyn Lakhani says:

I am currently based in Africa. ESPN Classic is showing highlights of all WC matches from 1992. I want to make sure that my son 14year old see our greatest win in the history. I got engaged a day before the final match in 1992. I spent the whole day next watching and then dancing and rejoicing the win. My future wife and her family realized their mistake. Now, my wife is also a passionate fan. Its infectious. My best moment was watching boundary shots by Inzi and Wasim and how powerful were those shots that the ball after hitting the boundary would rebound back in the field for another 10 to 15 ft. And my worst moment was Imran’s after-match speech!!!

21. Fahad Ali says:

It was a great moment for Pakistan and will be remembered forever. Though the credit goes to all the team for their brave fight and true display of their abilities, however, I think it was due to one man and he is none but Imran Khan. It was his Leadership qualities, aggressive nature (as a player), devotion and high motivation which won us the World Cup. His famous words “Cornered Tiger” with his Tiger imaged T-Shirt can never be forgotten which warned the English men of his intentions.

We need that spirit again…..

22. Vishwanath says:

I’m an Indian too, but yeah some of the best moments were the delight on Imran’s face as the last wicket was taken and he had his hands raised and players rushed in. The team was absolutely perfect in terms of experience of Imran and Miandad, and the youth of Akram and Inzamam…i recall the semis where they won back to back matches against NZ, and were the only one to demolish them in the semis thanks to inzy that suddenly the path seemed clear to the finals. It is pretty much similar to the T20 world cup where pakistan came out of nowhere and won it comprehensively in the crucial matches. Great effort and the timing itself was perfect as Imran need it more than any other captain!. Hope pakistan can repeat similar success in the future!!.

23. irfan haider says:

One of the finest moments in the history of Pakistani Nation was seeing our team carrying a worldcup 1992.
    I was quite young at that time but i remember some glimpses of that magical moments specially Wasim Akram’s Wickets and that famous song “LET See Who Rules the world”.

24. Hassan Zaidi says:

I was 12 years old when Pakistan Won the World cup and my favourite moments were 1- when Wasim took two wickets in two balls and 2- When Rameez took the catch. The moment Pakistan won the World cup we had celebration in our street, firing, dancing and the next day when we played cricket in our street everyone was imitating Inzi, Imran, Wasim but offcourse there is no match.

25. Tarif says:

Iwas 3 years old at that time but still i clearly watching Imran Khan lifting the crystal trophy

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement