Reliving March 25, 1992

Reliving March 25, 1992

March 25, 1992 will always be remembered as one of the most glorious days in the history of Pakistan cricket. It was on this day, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, that Imran Khan’s ‘cornered tigers’ completed their fairytale journey at the cricket world cup. Wasim Akram’s magic, Ramiz Raja’s flight of victory, Aamir Sohail’s sajda, Imran Khan’s controversial speech are the various moments that spring to mind when one recollects the magical 22-run win.

What is your favourite moment from the final? Where did you watch it? Did you think Pakistan would be able to pull it off? Who was your player of the match?

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

293 Responses to “Reliving March 25, 1992”

1. Khawer memon says:

Imran Khan lifting the trophy was the highlight and we can never ever forget this picture. Coming from so behind (second last at one point) , it was the leadership of Imran Khan that lifted the morale of team to envision the success, and enabling them to perform at their best and leadign the team to winning execution.

Players performed at thier best, Javed, Wasim, Inzimam all best players, but making them a team, a winning team was led by the captain – Imran who is the player of the tournament for the whole nation.

This proves yet again that we need strong selfless leaders like Imran, Bhutto who put nation’s and team success ahead in their vision. Jevay Jevay Pakistan

2. shiraz says:

Ramiz Raja going to Sajda!!!!

3. Ijaz says:

WC92 final was the only match I saw live at University of Southern California on a theatre screen. It was amazing watching that match sitting with people from all around the world, mostly all Pakistanis, Indian, British and Aussies etc… My eyes were glued to the screen all the time.

I think the Aaqib Javaid catch was as crucial as anything else in that winning match, remember catches win matches.

Player of the match off course every single player, but the moment of the day was Imran’s stunning speech at the beginning of the match to set the tone for cornered tiger.

For some people if at the end of the match speech certain words did not slip through Imran’s lips according to people wishes please forgive him, at the height of the moment you do get nervous, at least he did do what he said building SKH.

4. Kamran says:

I was one of the ‘fortunate’ ones to have seen the match live at the MCG. We had not quite expected Pakistan to make it to the final, and so we were caught out in terms of organising ourselves to attend the match. Luckily, we were able to get our hands on the number of tickets we wanted and got to the MCG in the nick of time.

I remember the despair at the 35th over when Pakistan was about 130. We (my friends and I) shouting ourselves hoarse when the English wickets started to fall on a regular basis. On the way back from the stadium, proudly waving the Pakistani flag, the locals beeping their car horns at us and shouting ” Good On Ya , Mate!

I lost my voice for a few days, but it was worth it.

P.S. I still have the ticket stub from that day

5. Rashid says:

What a day!! I was in Peshawar and true to the frontier’s tradition, the city celebrated the victory by firing in air. It appeared as if the whole city had let their guns go off. What a day, indeed.

6. Kashif says:

That obviously was a great movement and the best of the highlights of the match was when Wasim Akram took two wickets in one over. As I remember it was Ramadan in Pakistan and we enjoyed watching world cup along side eating our Sehris….

7. Muhammad Zahid says:

It was Imran Khan due to whom we came up victorious as threre can be no victory without any able Leadership that Imran Khan provided to Pak Team.

8. Haroon says:

Two bowled outs by Wasim Akram’s unplayable deliveries. Nothing can beat those moments! Plus Moin Khan’s Six in semi final against New Zealand! That is unforgettable! :)

9. Asad says:

Well Imran Khan made his world cup rather than it being PAKISTAN’s world cup. His TEAM spirit changed into I spirit and since that day I have disliked the man..

10. hasan says:

I just remember i was a kid and just ran outside singing the song “The world is coming down, the flags are up, who’s gonna be number one, who’s gonna take up the cup. Who’s gonna be, it’s once in a lifetime chance, who’ll rule the world, gotta see who’ll rule the world.”
    Haha… there you go… i still remeber that. But sad how cricket has faded out with all the other sports in this country, and not to forget that almost everything is fading out. I hope and wish Pakistan recovers from these Very Very Bad time.

11. Usman says:

I watched it as a 15 yr old at home and then went to distribute mithai after the match with my father. That was a priceless moment.

Unlike the more glamourous moments of the final, my favourite moment was the resolute batting of Imran and Miandad till the 30th over of the Pak innings. Thats when it was clear how much of a mind game cricket really is. Coming in at number 3, Imran made sure he led from the front. Showed the opposition how strong minded he was and with Javed laid the foundation for a formidable score (for the time).

I specially remember the flick off the legs for four from Javed from outside off stump off Defreitas, which left even the most boring commentators of the time speechless.

12. Rameez Ilyas says:

I remember my parents had to drop me off to kindergarten and after that my Baba had to drop off Mama at my Nana’s place, I was just five years old. When we got to school, there was a big sign that said “GONE TO SEE THE WORLD CUP!” Personally I was just happy there was no school so I went with my Mama to Nana’s house and over there I found an amazing atmosphere. All my uncles were gathered round the TV as anxious as I am watching Pakistan now (even though I do it like some hopeless romantic), and then came the moment of frenzy. Everyone jumped in the air and the cheers were so loud that they could blow the roof off. Growing up and watching the final again and again after getting to know cricket as I know now, I think the best moments of the match were Wasim Akram’s brace. I even used to hope for a hat trick when I was of a younger age even though I knew it never happened. It was magic! Same was done last year and I was there in London, well at least if not to witness it live (although I watched the Ireland match) but, to celebrate with fellow countrymen on Edgeware road. That was magic too! I know everything has gone downhill since then but like the hopeless romantic I always will be, I hope we make the T20 cup stay at home for a little longer after May and bring home the big one next year as well. Forever … Go Greens!!! Pakistan Zindabad!!!

13. Ahmed says:

imran khan making a jerk of himself and embarassing everyone.
    world cup win was the greatest cricket moment but unfortunately this is what i recall of it or whenever i see or read anything about imran. what a lasting impression he made!

14. Nazeer Chaudhari says:

Please correct me if I am wrong, 1992 was the year when Pakistan was shining on the Global sports having World Champion Trophies of Cricket, Hockey, Squash, Snooker.

What has happend to us now? Where have we went wrong?

15. Safdar Akbari says:

The best was Wasim Akram’s two successive wickets. Allan Lamb’s dismissal was better of the two! I was not too impressed with Imran’s mentioning his own dreams of hospital etc. instead of thanking his team mates and the countrymen for their prayers and support etc.

16. mukhtar says:

Being a pakistani I am very much proud and I would always think about the those days that would that it comes again and I could watch the match and especilly by Wasim Akram who spelled wonderfully and won the match.

17. Nuruddin Noorani says:

It was past… around 18 years back….now the country needs another moment of joy and pride like this… but people have change……its seem impossible but you never know what GOD wants….

18. Samar says:

To see Chris Lewis’s back post Akram’s magic was the “Game – Set – Match” – For me the moment of the tournament!

19. Mati Ullah Khan says:

I love Niazi.

20. umesh says:

i still remember the bad luck day of England….
    Pakistan won because of Duckworth luis…not because it performed that day….it was a loss that rain turned to win….
    feel great for the rain

21. Asif says:

The rules of that world cup 1992 was more resposible to clear the path for pakistan. Though it was not deserving team. The deserving team was South Africa.

22. Badar says:

Hi

Somebody mentioned for the Miandad’s debacle with kiran moore…that was hilarious.

• mansoor says:

badar, that dual between Miandad and Kiran More was in a league match of the 1992 world cup, not a part of the finals

• Badar says:

yea…you are right….how about Aqib javed’s catch of Graham Gooch on mushi.

• mansoor says:

Badar bhai, that was a peach of a catch, which according to my calculations won the match for Pakistan, because Gooch was always going to be a dangerous customer, although many of us might have a difference of opinion here and would say that Allan Lamb and Chris Lewis dismissal was the turning point.

23. Adnan says:

Wasim’s two deliveries were the ones that really sealed the cup! Wow! It still a great feeling to even think abt that day… Long live PAKISTAN!! And may we have many more to celebrate! Aameen!

24. senthil says:

Wake up pakistan,dont live in old dreams:(

• Khan says:

Sentail, those are old realities not dreams. ummmm

Also every team have a bad time but they always come back. Pakistan Team have a bad time so what, they will come back and convert old realities (dreams) into new realities.

so cheer-up and don’t worry about Pakistan.

• fahad says:

Then lets talk about t20 world cup final???

• Saleem Dawoodi says:

Lets talk about it :) how we gifted the first one to India and then won the second one … InshaAllah we will do well next month

• Khan says:

First we lost the game and first t20 world cup, then we came back and won the 2nd world cup. The 3rd t20 world cup, I am with my team and I hope they will do their best.
        What I believe,

Winning is not Important but struggle towards the winning is important, and when you struggle on the right path you always win.

Being a Pakistani, I proud on my team.

So, Good Luck.

25. mansoor says:

The World Cup win has been a cherishing moment in the history of Pakistan cricket. From being virtually out of the tournament, to playing like cornered tigers it was Pakistan’s sheer talent and true grit that ruled over England’s professionalism.

Wasim Akram’s timely all round performance deservingly won him the Player of the match award.

Even today if Imran Khan is made chairman of the PCB, a positive change would definitely be on cards!

Imran Khan for Chairman!

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement