Reaction on the streets

Pakistan has blocked two popular websites due to a controversial competition being held on Facebook on May 20. How has the ban on Facebook and YouTube affected you? Has the block on our accessibility to these sites highlighted the fact that how addicted and dependent we are on social networking websites and forums? How do you plan to pass your time instead now that browsing videos and random profiles is not an option?

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

445 Responses to “Reaction on the streets”

1. Kunal Dawani says:

From my point of view the controversial stuff that was added to Facebook was wrong and government
    should have done something earlier instead of just banning it in Pakistan and should now take some more actions so they can remove that particular page and government can renew the site and just keep that page banned

• ayesha Khan says:

Something MORE? You do realize that
      – Indonesia , Malaysia, Bangladesh, Turkey, Saudi Arabia or for that matter any other OIC country did not ban Facebook and You tube?
      – These companies do not post any of the content on their site?
      – Even the US government (these companies are US companies) have many things posted against them in You tube and they are unable to do anything about it due to the USA law? So what can Pakistan government do?

Doing this has hurt Pakistan and Pakistanis. How?
      – Not because people can not live without these sites – hundreds of million Pakistanis live without these anyway, so a few million that had been using them can get by without it.
      – By giving disproportionate reaction and undue importance to this ‘grievance’, it wil create more jihadis – who in turn will bring Pakistan a bad name through their attempt at terrorism abroad.

• Shah Jalal says:

I agree with Kunnal.

• Nashmia says:

I agree to what you said :-
      “……so they can remove that particular page and government can renew the site and just keep that page banned”.

2. Arwaa says:

Media should not indulge people in pros and cons of banning facebook and youtube. Rather it should point solid ways to prevent.

• Usman says:

Well media broadly plays vital role of broadcasting things which are unavoidable and must be resisted. Though it was, in past, largely based on one way communication but now it has changed. So it covers all aspects, from preventing through solid points to pros and cons.
      We must not be mono dimensional.
      Well done media. Keep it up.

3. Usman Raza says:

I appreciate the ban, and it haven’t effected us much, may to your question, how will we pass the time, similarly as when there was no youtube or face book

but i do not support the ban on wikipidia, its just raw knowledge, nothing more. i think wikipidia should work.

4. I say we should boycott the boycott on facebook…

5. Nageen says:

I think banning FB temporarily wasn’t a bad idea. But, I also feel that the government should have taken the notice a little earlier and should have sent a warning to facebook requesting that the material must be removed all together instead of just making it inaccessible in Pakistan.

6. Rizwan says:

I don’t understand what this ban will achieve. Facebook is a medium for connecting with other people. The views of some people on a Facebook page do not represent those of Facebook itself, and the same goes for Youtube. The ban on Wikipedia will only cripple students.

I logged on to Facebook this morning and discovered that they have indeed deleted the “Draw Mohammad” page as well as banned many of the accounts making the drawings. A good move on Facebook’s part. The ban should be ended with immediate effect.

• Mskhan says:

Well,the page wasn’t taken down by fb,its purpose was fulfilled so the creators THEMSELVES TOOK it down.
      Secondly,why would they??they were getting more than a bizillion clicks by this event from both sides-the offenders and the victims….it was for them BUSINESS or may be grudges that they hold against our Prophet Pb.u.h…both makes a lot of sense.

Know what,I too feel that THE BAN ON FB IS WORTHLESS(provided it saved us here from any riots in our own cities),unless all of us(MUSLIMS) would directly go and DEACTIVATE OUR ACCOUNTS FOR A GOOD 3 MONTHS COURSE as to show that we don’t condemn that act ONLY IN WORDS,we’re ready to USE ALL FAIR MEANS TO DISCOURAGE ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN FUTURE-this WILL affect them -as you know that the page made in response to everybody draw Muhammad p.b.u.h drew far greater number of fans than the satanic one.See the point is that,muslim govt being 52 in no are valued like 0+0+0+0+…=00 but WE ARE HUGE IN NUMBER IF WE BOYCOTT IT FOR A LONGER TIME -THEY WILL SUFFER.

This is our chance,to be patient and peaceful and doing what’s right -I request you all to voluntarily deactivate your accounts from fb for a couple of months-I mean we WON”T DIE without fb but would never be able to forgive ourselves if we don’t take the proper action…I mean who needs fb.

w/salaam.

• roman says:

why are we so addicted to facebook mr rizwan???
      cant u survive without it???wht did u do before facebook.sat n waited a miriacle named as facebook to happen???
      try to be united n be a part ov somethng good happeneing!!!!

• Aamir says:

Brother, FYI FB did not delete the infamous page, the page was temporarily inaccessible due to technical glitch.

• Rauf says:

Bro Rizwan you have indeed answered your own question.
      The ban has enforced them to delete the page. Had there been action by the govt of Pakistan the cartoon would have appeared and I asure you there would have been more to follow.
      There are still many options for you to connect with others but do stay connected to your belief and values and our prophet.
      Wish you well.

• Pinki Gilgity says:

Rizwan its due to the strikes and bane on sites on the part ov Muslims that those offensive pages have been removed from FB. If there was no strike from our side then there would hardly been an action taken by Fb. I really appreciate this action by govt to ban the sites and I think now no one will dare to offend Muslims.

• aamir says:

being a lover of prophet (PBUH) we should promote this ban on the contrary not bring our personal needs and desires as is the case with you.May Allah guide u and us on the right path.

• Nazia says:

About time ! and what about discouraging such acts in future? Are they going to do something about that also?

7. its bad thing that inspite of so manyusers in Pakistan,face book has dare to create that kind of groups,its bad thing,being a Muslim we would love to condemn it.

• Anonymous says:

Actually Pakistani users only account for 0.51 % percent of Facebook’s total web traffic.

8. Adil says:

We should ban FB, Wikipedia and You Tube as it offends us. That will show the world that we are serious about drawings and truly show the glory our religion. Yes, I can just imagine how many people will feel Islam is truly an enlightened religion then.

• Eum says:

How wonderful of you to base the glory of our religion on one page. I wonder how do you explain the glory of our religion on other conflicting issues that obviously need more attention in Pakistan than this silly rant about a page. Lets not forget that , even though, as a Muslim , I HIGHLY agree that the page was offensive, boycotting Facebook has gotten us no where and secondly, there are thousands of people around the world who have said and done things that should clearly be offensive to Muslims. Are you going to control each and every one in this world who says bad things about your religion or try to improve/increase awareness about Islam. Remember, we are trying to “prove” around the world that Islam is a peaceful and tolerant religion and banning face book DID NOT serve the purpose.

• saud wali says:

I think it is highly shameful, disrespectful and malacious attempt to degrade s\anyeone’s religious feelings. I can understand the frustration and disappointment shown by muslims all over the world. But at the same time I like to ask a question do we respond with the same force and fervor when the teachings of that very person for whom we are willing to go to any attempt are disregarded, disrespected and humiliated. Just a point to ponder. If we spend same amount of energies to defend the teachings of Prophet (MPBUH) then our life as a human will look much better.

• Rizwan says:

Pray do tell us how Wikipedia offended you? We would love to hear.

• Hina says:

@Rizwan: The Wikipedia entry about the Prophet(PBUH) contains images.

• Nadeem Ahmed says:

Why don’t muslims get it, other religions do not forbid such images, therefore any christian or hindu adding informationin on Wikipedia will not hesitate to show images of Muhammad (P.B.U.H). The reality is all of us know very little about other religions, same is true of christians, jews and hindues. This problem could only be solved, if we educate others about our faith, and internet is the best tool in this regard. Banning or boycotting would not sovle the problem. Majority of Christians, Jews, Hindues and other religions are nice people and they would listen to us, if we tell them about our faith, restrictions and love of Muhammad (P.B.U.H.)

• Mskhan says:

@rizwan:you dun remember what happened last time after the danish cartoons were published,do you??

• Mike says:

Great…let me give you some advice hina, dont visit that page, and in the same way dont add the application on facebook and dont view the videos that offend you on youtube. Everyone here is NOT as close minded or an extremist as you or the people who wanted this banned. What next ban google because its through the search engine that we find such things. How about deal with the true problems of the nation and not matters like. The only reason that people draw these pictures is to anger muslims. Learn to ignore it, afterall the people who wanted this ban are actually the ones who do NOT use it and therefore are not bothered if its banned or not. This case has become a dangerous precedent allowing the authorities to ban anything they may feel is remotely or supposedly offensive to muslims. I guess thats the last time i get to read about evolution. A dark time for this nation.

• Abdul Mohammed says:

@Hina Why do u search and go to these pages which contain blasphemous material. I came to know about these pages only after this hue and cry over them and I am sure majority of the people in the world have visited these pages only in the last three four days.

• Doc S says:

I suggest we muslims should stop using the internet altogether as such profane material is and will be available over the web again and again!

• Abuzar says:

The Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) page on Wikipedia has long been banned in the UAE (by Etisalat). I wonder why it was not in PAK before.

• Felix says:

Then put a piece of paper over the images when you read the page. Your rules are not held by all muslims, and do not apply to the rest of the world which is using that page.

• Ali Hasan says:

The Wikipedia entry about the Prophet contained images drawn by artists of the Ottoman Empire in the 1300s. They were Muslim too. In fact the Ottoman Empire was one of the greatest Muslim empires ever.

Are you claiming that Muslims then new less than Muslims now?

• abid says:

@Hina, you have seen that?????….see still u r devout muslim.

• Bilal says:

First of all why would you search for things that offend you?
          Secondly if you want to make sure that the image is taken down then find out how to do it. For wikipedia the way to do it is that you register yourself and go on to the discussion tab and argue that the image is not accurate because no image ever existed etc

Why would you ban information ? if you dont agree with something you can choose to reply with even more information on why you are right and others are wrong or choose not to view that information

• Hassaan says:

Yes, of course, ban legitimate sources of knowledge because something you have nothing to do with offends you. I don’t even know what to say to you.

• Nazia says:

Wikipedia is working just fine its not blocked, just accessed it !

• Kamil Hamid says:

So? If they offend you, simply do not visit them.

Furthermore, I have seen these images myself- many of them are actually photographs of actual artwork from 14th century Iran.
          Yes, that’s right- Paintings of Muhammad from Iran, drawn by Muslims. There is absolutely nothing offensive about them; they were drawn as a sign of love and respect.

And so what if people are drawing pictures of the prophet to mock Muslims? Do you not have the free will to boycott them voluntarily, rather than enforce a blanket ban for everyone?

9. Muhammad says:

I dont get it. Why ban the website? I mean what are we trying to show the world? That if we dont block pakistanis would see these blashphemous pictures? I mean do we need to stop the public from viewing these websites?

As for the protest part I think facebook gives all the users the option to delete their accounts. If you are really pissed off just delete it. I think that would have a greater impact rather than just not accesing your accounts. And seriously I dont think its fault of facebook but rather that of the people that made the group. Facebook is not a newspaper its just a platform wiothout its own views. I think we could have used the same platform to object.

But personaly I think the best reaction to the whole fiasco would have been “no reaction”. By banning everyhting we have given the group a lot more PR than it deserved. And seriously whats the point of burning tires on the roads?

• pakilee says:

I agree 100%! Why prove ignoramuses like those in the group right? Even though I’m not a Muslim I was still disgusted at some of the comments people left. Some even spoke about how they were being threatened by some Muslim Facebook users. All I could think about how these people were to threaten members of the group. Threatening them just TOTALLY proved the point of the members of the group! Mostly people in groups like those despise religion in general and have no regard for beliefs. I agree it’s okay to be angry but to threaten a person is just plain and simple dumb! No one in the world really knew about the group it’s only because of Pakistan that it has become popular.

• Jean Verlander says:

Yu are absolutly right, why do you need the Government to act for you, act yourself and take Facebook from your Computer, it is in your hands entirely.

• Amir Jalal says:

Brother,
      Like every website, community or group on internet, Facebook also has owners and moderators who keep an eye on all the activities done by an individual or community. According to the agreement we sign to join facebook, any post, profile, page or action attacking an individual or group will be condemned and facebook is entitled to delete that post/page/profile or action. It is not an autonomous website like wikipedia where anyone can edit the information by him/herself. So they should ban all such blasphemous pages like they did with holocaust pages. Why they are offering such a prejudiced attitude?

• Vinod says:

well said Sir,

i totally respect your views. in fact the ability of any faith to tolerate criticism, lack of adherence by its followers and misconceptions (though they should be constructively cleared) shows its maturity.

in this particular regard, Islam, inspite of being a great faith is ill served by these knee jerk reactions.

As youtube correctly said, the best reaction to such things is to ignore them and invest our energies on more constructive stuff.

GOD bles you.

Regards

• Fawad Siddiqui says:

It’s not like that Muhammad !! Reaction is necessary. We are not a dead nation. We have our own values, beliefs, culture. An alive nation should not allow anyone to play with it’s emotions and beleifs. We should be proud that we are the only country who took that bold step.

• ... says:

The website is banned to show them that we can do anything for our Prophet (PBUH). They are insulting Allah, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and our religion. We are showing Facebook and all those people that we can stand up for our selves and for what is right. According to Facebook… They have to remove a group or page attacking an individual or a group and that group does just the same thing. If you can just sit there and nothing when people out there are insulting what you really are.. Then its your problem.

• J. Khan says:

Thank God. There is at least some one who has a head on his shoulders.

• Naveed says:

Well said.

• Adil says:

Well if they had come to you individually showing vulgar drawings then yes individual action could have been taken. This was a mass movement so it deserved a mass reaction. You ignore things when people unintentionally do something bad and have the “capacity” to realize their mistake. As Iqbal says:

Phool kee patti sai kat saktaa hai heeray ka jiggar
      Mard e naadaan par kalam e narm o nazuk be asr

10. Syed says:

Facebook was banned in only Pakistan. Other countries like Saudi etc. are still widely using it. Where is our unity?Is it a permanent ban (on facebook, on youtube or Wikipedia) or is it a temporary ban. PTA have previously banned several things temporarily.

• Ahmad says:

Dear Syed,

about KSA and UNITY, we are responsible for our acts, we can say “others are doing / not doing this”. I am happy that atleast Pakistani Govt. came up with a strong stance and even highlighted with US Officials.

• Ammaar Ahmed says:

OIC has banned that page only not the whole facebook

11. Saqib Bhatti says:

Its great to boycott all such humiliating sites, we dont need these sites

12. M says:

As a Muslim, I am of course offended by any form of slander against the Holy Prophet (PBUH). However, I do not support this ban. Not only is it a question of my individual liberties-the court cannot tell me which websites I can or cannot frequent-but it hardly makes sense because by banning these websites you cannot pretend they don’t exist!! I feel sorry for those people who do not consider it important to respect other religions. But you or I cannot stop them because it is a free world. How is banning websites a solution to the problem? I would have simply ignored the competition altogether. Does anyone realize how much attention this competition has gotten BECAUSE of Muslims’ reactions? Muslims are unwittingly providing the creators of that page with greater publicity than they could have ever managed by themselves. I am wondering why courts in other Muslim countries have not reacted in the same way-oh right, because they have other things to attend to.

This action also has hypocrisy written all over it. What about other offensive things on the Internet?

I hope Facebook removes the page. Not because of the Lahore High Court ban but simply out of a common human courtesy that should be accorded to every member of every faith. But closing our eyes and shutting ourselves off from the Internet is not the solution.

• Tahir Alam says:

It was a wrong move by the Face Book authorities to decide not to remove that page. They showed no respect to the feelings of the people. They did not even followed their own policies in this regard. Therefore, I think it is required to tell them to behave. It is a great move by Pakistan that we banned this website causing them some financial loss. It is one way we can teach them to respect others. A better way is to not use the website and everyone should close their accounts on Face Book.

• Sarmad says:

I agree with you…

• abdul says:

Why don’t the government ban adult sites which poison the young minds.

• Usman says:

@ Abdul: I’m asking the same question… but I guess nobody has the answer to it.

• ranjit says:

At the outset I condemn these outrages postings on FB but having said that I would also say that in Pakistan reaction is unusual as usual. Prophet is a god so above human being hence no one can insult him. you spit on sky it comes back to you. when we react in voilent way and show excessive contempt we strengthen the hands of satanic forces..that is wat the are looking for — voilent reaction– so as to brand muslims as intolerant and this is exactly happening in case of pakistan. there are 55 more islamic countries why only Pakistan has to react as custodian of Islam. my advice is Ignore those who are mischievous and just dont go to those sites or just issue an advisory that this site is not suitable for muslims.. can you stop people from talking even more dirty in private or on other chat forum.. my request to muslim brother is JUST IGNORE and get going with life and at the same time encourage tolerance in your society as prophet was very tolerant ( remember the lady who use to throw garbage )..
        and dont forget these reaction are there because some of the radical profess the theory of believer and Kafirs

Lets us all be more tolerant and follow our own religion or belief and respect each other.. religion should be a personal matter and not a political movement

13. Saqib Bhatti says:

I think its better to boycott such sites rather than thinking about social networking and entertainment, there are many other options we have for social networking and entertainment.

14. Saher Maqsood says:

Although the ban on FB hasn’t affected me much, but the one on YOUTUBE definitely has. I think that the ban should have been debated and decided in a democratic way although at the same time i believe that it wasn’t as urgent an issue, not for me atleast. No single judge has the right to decide whether i should use FB and YOUTUBE of not. It would have been more interesting to see how individual; who were adamantly in opposition of this activity, conducted themselves on FB during those three days (18th-20th May) and also after the controversial day. I should be allowed to protest in my own manner, given that i choose to do so.
    Also if somebody’s cause takes a way of protest that causes discomfort for me, i would go against that way of protest.

• Faizan says:

If you are allowed to protest in your own manner, what would you like to do? You will click more than before to protest against the blasphemy ? You will let them earn more than before ? You even make them happy to keep your account, doing the activities. Now a days, the F.B is becoming more important thing for us rather than the religion. Everybody is enjoying. Doing more fun. We want more fun, more entertainment. The teachings of Islam have been forgotten. What are we doing. We are going to protest in the same way we enjoy. Are we Muslims, Saher ?

15. Muhammad Saeed says:

I think first of all we are Muslims then Pakistanis. So any thing against our Prophet should not be accepted. We can even eat food once a day instead of thrice for ever but we can not bear disgrace of Holy Prophet .I am proud of to be Pakistani due to this ban. I think the this deed should be written with golden words in history of Pakistan. I am so glad at this step of Pakistani government that I do not have words to
    express the happiness.

• zawaad says:

Can you please tell this forum what this ban exactly achieved before wrting this in golden words in the history? Patience brother, patience. Our prophet always preached the value of patience. This society has become so restless and extreme and reactive – this is really scary.

16. Bilal Godil says:

Muslims should unite and stand as one.

We ban facebook and we ban Youtube. 47% of the facebook users are muslims and resulting in banning these websites do effect the revenue and assets. But everytime its not about blocking the websites.

• VARUN SAXENA says:

I doubt 47% of all users are Muslims.

• Felix says:

Look up the facebook statistics on alexa. When you count the percentages of facebook users all over the world, you get 10-12% for all muslim countries. The 47-48% figure people are parroting all over the web is a lie.
      Now think about why you are being fed false figures about revenues and user percentages. Someone is using you.

• waqas says:

Please explain this 47 percent users are muslim. Where is this number coming from? Please also explain how “assets” are effected…

• Dave says:

@Bilal
      Where did you get this outrageous figure from. Not more than 10% of Facebook users are Muslims. And I don’t think that Face book actually earns any revenue from Pakistan!!

• Gaurav Dwivedi says:

nope, less than 25%…
      Sorry but its not the solution.
      The best reaction is “no reaction ” as stated above , for those who offend Holy Prophet (PBUH).

17. Harris says:

Just my 2 cents. Although people have gotten used to these sites I think one must not completely dispair. I think there is opportunity in every change. Although it was convenient to put all your data on facebook and stay in touch with friends and perhaps make new ones, I think this might push people to actually go out and be in there social circle instead of having fb manage it for you. Again banning of youtube has the same arguments you can watch anything and everything can be good but can also be very very bad. Wikipedia banning is completly absurd though.

Also understand that the negatives of these “sites” etc. are influencing our kids. The dynamics of child management and behaviour are very very different in east than in west. So although it might be ok for the west to let their children loose on the net it may need to be v. controlled for our kids and a kid out playing in the field with his/her friends is much much better than a kid sitting on a chair clicking buttons. Same applies to an adult but less of a problem since the average adult spends most of the day working (aka sitting on a chair all day) :)

The effects are profound for culture of any given region.

• Ahsan says:

Very well said, your 2 cents are accepted by people of the same thinking as mine.

I have deactivated my account and i don’t feel a difference in my life. I guess the importance and having the feeling of completeness by having FB is only portrayed by addicts, who actually have 0% tendency to socialize with the real people in real world.

The whole social networking thing started long time back from IRC and it moved on into different stages. These social networking has hugely impacted ones personality as people tend to show them selves as someone who they are not in the real life. And this is exactly we don’t want in our next generation.

Controls are to be implemented and the time now a days require that certain controls should be forced rather than personal choice.

Good stuff and lets just keep it like that way not just FB and related sites but also in real world life too.

18. Tariq says:

I mostly played Farmville & Mafia Wars on facebook and occasionally interacted with my friends & family here and abroad. Now that i am unable to that, i watch more TV. The youtube ban has no effect on me as i am not a youtube user nor do i frequent the site often; once in three months maybe.

• Felix says:

In other words, the ban only cut you off from one aspect of your life and didn’t benefit you at all. And apparently you think that’s ok. Instead you go listen to the information your government wants you to have.

19. The decision to ban facebook is certainly a very right one. Hats off to Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) for making Pakistan the first among all the Islamic countries to promulgate this Act.

We can certainly learn to live without facebook, youtube and a number of websites like these, but we cannot live without the respect of our Holy Prophet (PBUH). Personally, even when this ban is removed from our Authorities, I propose that we all must de-activate our facebook accounts until they realize their mistake, we must cripple them financially and give them a lesson.

Its very surprising that they call all such acts as Media & Press freedom, but the same does not apply for their own rituals and beliefs. A couple of years ago, it was only 1 artist in Denmark, now they are in double digits and more on facebook, and God forbid how many would they be in the future, if we still remain silent?

I ask one simple question to you all, will we remain silent if someone starts to derogate your real beloved person who could be your father, mother, wife or anybody else? Why do they not understand that our love for our Holy Prophet (PBUH) is much more than that.

My sincere request through this forum goes to PTA and our other regulatory agencies is to extend this ban for an indefinite period of time.

20. Hina says:

Everything that is done with unity is good. But i am against emotional blackmailing by people who help them spread this news like fire. Facebook also showed reluctant to compile with its users values. If something is abusive to someone they should remove it. They do it all the time and block nice Islamic groups and pages that doing good without giving any reason. If you just try and create a page or post video against jew you will see how fast it get banned but vice verse is not correct. They enjoy to see us angry. Muslim should boycott it altogether but that will show you how divided we are.

21. This is good that PTA has taken step to block these websites.

22. Saher says:

I consider banning these websites a “First Step of Pakistan” towards letting world realise The Respect of our Religion “Islam”. I appreciate it with all my heart being one of Face Book users. Every muslim is spiritually bound to our Prophet Peace Be Upon Him (whether or not he/she is fanatic). What really strikes my mind is “What do they get by making caricatures of our beloved Prophet (P.B.U.H)?” Can anyone supporting this mockery answer my question? Talking apart from religion, is humiliating other religion is what they call Freedom of Speech?

• GP65 says:

If one journalist in one newspaper prints an article that offends some group, should all newspapers be banned?

Banning facebook because some guy created an unacceptable facebook page is the same thing.

• Shaikh says:

I totally agree with this statement! – we all should be protesting in a peacful manner – and by blocking access to these sites, i belive was the best course of action to inform the whole world, that how muslims feel and how much our beloved Prophet (P.B.U.H) and Islam important to us. I live in Canada but very much appreciate that how our nation is united on this issue.

*** Keep spreading the words for peace and justice ***

23. Benish says:

I dont think blocking these sites would do any good to us. We could have develop pages such as “against draw Muhammad (BPUH) page” and could have gathered even more people to show our unity and anger. Or, we could have start new pages to protest. Simply cutting ourselves off from outside the world would lead us to no where.
    As far as time wasting is concerned, we Pakistani are genius enough to find many other time wasting way outs :P

• sid says:

well Benish i agree wid u:)

• Shaikh says:

I am surpised after reading that “blocking these sites would do any good to us” – I don’t think so. Unless we take a very strong stand against any sort of injustice such incidents will keep coming – whatever Pakistan has done in his capacity it is really marvilous and should be very proud that we as a nation did it ! and i hope that all other muslim countries in the world will follow Pakistan and will take a “Concrete” steps to stop such acts (ameen).

*** Sorry! no offence but this is how i fell ***

• Mskhan says:

WOW!

• Ijaz Sheikh says:

Fully agree with this approach. With the ban Pakistan has managed to publicise the unaccepatble event. We should have responded by expressing our feelings against the page & expressed our resentment in a more effective way.

• Muzikalmaths says:

we already created a page with the name of “against draw Muhammad(PBUH) page” and thousands of muslims joined that page, but did it work? meanwhile hundreds and thousands of muslims reported against that nonsense page but that didnt work too. So, now what you really think abt the facebook managment. this is better to change your way. Im very happy with Pakistan taking this initiative. at the same time im disappionted with other muslim countries who havnt joined us yet.

• Sarmad says:

completely agree!

24. Why the Pakistani government have banned the Wikipedia website on Google? It is the only source of knowledge online.

25. Amna says:

Wikipedia is a useful site and they’ve banned it. and for youtube I would say same. probably twitter is banned. I can not access it. facebook should be banned on individual level. banning it does say we don’t wanna you anything that disrespects Prophet(PBUH) but its no solution and there is no solution to it. What about the good things we followed at fb? Where do we get them now? What about your field related communities? They should provide an alternative as well.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement