The CSS question

The CSS question

As the final result for the Central Superior Services (CSS) examination came through this week, a few questions came to mind:

Can the bureaucrats act like civil servants? Do they think that when Pakistan is being considered the 5th most unstable country in the world, do they want to help change things?

Why aren’t the top notch universities graduates adopting this field as their careers anymore? How can nepotism and corruption be eradicated from bureaucracy so that postings and promotions are done on merit basis?

Would a raise in salaries of government officials announced in the recent budget impact positively on the working conditions? Were the Mayors performing better than today’s administrators (the bureaucrats)?

Text by Jawad Muzaffar.

The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

151 Responses to “The CSS question”

1. saleem says:

While reading these comments I became very upset.Why? Because our young generation is not interesting to work diligently for the country. Still central superior services are the best as compared to other services. And everyone says that bureaucrats are corrupt, inefficient and so on. But what about others? Are they not corrupt? Even most of the people in current HEC and universities set-up are more corrupt than CSP’s. And the case for private sector is totally the same. Therefore, I requested to all talented people to study for CSS and work for the country. The question that why talented people are not willing to join civil services is not well posed. Everyone wants to join it, but the process of CE is very tough and lengthy, so they opted for shortcut to join private sector or other services.

• Ahsan Butt says:

Mostly people go for CSS just to get authority and power…. hardly anyone think about Pakistan. bureaucracy drown our country into the depth of poverty.

2. Iftekhar says:

Interesting read all round just the tenor of the discussion is telling in itself, you refer this important group as “bureaucrats” and not civil servants, no doubt some the ire is entirely justified having met a fair few of them over time but here is a perspective from a civil servant of Pakistani origin but working in the UK.

The quality of the intake is central to the performance of the civil service and development of good governance and the provision of good public services, which are main purposes of the civil service. whereas what we have in Pakistan is a system designed to exert control rather than rendering service.

It is unfortunate that a lot of the commentary here is focused around what you can get out of taking the CSS whether it be a good income or job security or other personal gain.
    Public administration is the backbone of a country, it ensure the development and delivery of public policy, continuity in governance during times of transition and is a pillar of good governance alongside the judiciary and parliament, get it wrong or bring in the wrong people and you are stuck with what you have in Pakistan a corrupt system focused on personal gain in the main to the detriment of the national good. The few hardworking, good individuals who do manage to get in either end up in down and out postings or are forced to survive in a hostile environment which directly and continually targets them. Big moan over the way to get it fixed is get your best and your brightest in their a number of whom will be sacrificed in getting the system changed from the inside but that is a cost worth paying even if you are one to the sacrificial lambs. Failing that get used to bad services, bad public policy and the insecurity you live with.

3. Shazad says:

Civil servants are the servant of ministers, MNAs, and MPAs. They are non-technical and even keep serving in Power, Enviornment ministries. I have seen their houses in F8-II Islamabad and their life style matches to Bill Gates. The problem with our ruling class is that they come and study western country and then want to loot more money than Warren buffet and Bill Gates. They did not consider this fact that Bill and Buffet earned this money solely by their own effort not by corruption.

4. Irfan says:

The civil service in Pakistan is like that of many other developing countries; corrupt, inefficient and poorly trained staff with little motivation to help. I have the distinct displeasure of dealing with Pakistani embassy officials who seem like they are mostly high school dropouts. Now why would the brightest young minds want to work for self serving bureaucrats such as those?

5. Ahsan says:

In my opinion there must be some other mechanism to run the civil offices instead of holding CSS mindless examination. One alternative could be to pick highly competent and professional graduates from universities. Yesterday when I Checked some past examination of CSS, they made me laugh, exam was full nonsense questions.Every one does know that most of candidate who jump to CSS, consciously or unconsciously have greed of grasping power, and want to master of bewildered herd masses.

6. Kashan Ahmed says:

The issue of corruption is raised by some fellows.
    It is a daylight truth that no body can force an ill doing out of any one without his consent. Take the example of CJP, making every effort to clean the judiciary by introducing new policies and by making strict decisions.
    Corruptin is not the only reason, we want to get to the top at the earliest and make money, both of which are not possible in Civil Service simultanously.

7. Kashan Ahmed says:

I respect the thoughts of each and every individual taking part in the exercise.
    Recently. i heard about Supreme Court deciding the fate of 50+ CSPs and cancelling their promotions. The suit was filed by their fellow CSPs awaiting promotions for a long time and were illegally superceaded. Those who make the decisions about the fate of nation are suffering, how can u expect an odinary student who can find an illustrious career in Private sector to jump into civil service after getting knowledge about all this drama?

8. waqar says:

Another question in my mind, I always study quality subjects and material. Does anyone think that CSS study material have quality? or does CSS study can really help in improvisation of Pakistan?

2 years back I thought to participate in CSS exam, but I did not found anything learning curve in subjects and contents.

• Shirjeel says:

CSS is an exam, not a study/degree course which has a ‘learning curve’. It is a mere selection tool to judge the knowledge of the applicants about a particular subject which they have acquired in their colleges/universities. Through various other selection procedure (intelligence test, simulation exercise, interview) the quality and suitability of the applicants is determined to serve in a particular department.
      Once selected, the applicants have to undergo training for their respective jobs.

I do not find anything wrong with the exam. The problem lies when the person on job start behaving like a king, indulges in corrupt practices and instead of serving the people start lording over them. Here we need to change the mind set and the values of all the young entrants to the civil service. It is not the system but the people who make up this system are to be blamed.

• Most graduates in social sciences give preference to competitive exams. Before exams they have visionary ideas to stable their country but unfortunately after exams they also become a part of corruption that is the reason Pakistan still a weaker country in many aspects like diplomacy,establishment. The problem lies in our thoughts, these thoughts become more vulnerable day by day.
        In my point of view our country needed a revolution if we don’t contributed in that then leave to talk about these things.

9. waqar says:

I personally myself believe that government is no more place to earn money. If someone wants to earn money then they should other places.

Reason behind my opinion to avoid government job is only the corruption. I know i will have to become corrupt to get job even after if I clear css exam with top marks. Ask other past successful CSS candidates, whether they got job without corruption?

For me there are many better places to help Pakistan instead of having job in government (corrupt) agencies.

• Shirjeel says:

Yes may be the government service is not the best place to make money, yes there is wide-spread corruption in government departments. But still the top performing candidates in CSS get jobs without any corruption. It is after the exams when the real test starts.

Yes there are many corrupt government officials. But there are also very good, hard working, upright and honest officers in all the departments. And they need more honest people like you to support them in changing the system. Please do not leave this thing to the corrupt and inefficient only.

• Ahsan Butt says:

Shirjeel tell me how much percentages of candidates think about Pakistan who show or take CSS test. 98% of CSS candidates think about getting power, authority and protocol. and a nation is not stand on 2% people. and there are 98% chances and the remaining two percent CSS candidates will become one of 98%. CSS is all about bureaucracy. If government take off this authority or protocol from this public services than you will see how many students appear in CSS exams.

I don’t know why our government gives too much allowances and facilities of those people who have been hired to feel the pain of poor people and work for Pakistan…… nobody even me don’t do anything for poor if I have been given a big house, too much authority, different allowances….. it is better to read Khulifa-e- Rashdin.

10. mudassar nawaz says:

It’s really interesting to find all this here, I am currently facing a serious dilemma as I have just completed my BBA (hons) from a reputed university and have offers for job but on the other side I want to appear for FPSC exam..I am much nervous now a days. I am sure that I can make a career in corporate sector but injustice in our society and might is right motivates me to join FPSC!WHAT TO DO NOW?

11. Dawood Khan says:

I am against holding of CSS exams, I mean by just passing one exam you become part of an elite group to which one may not belong. That is when the problem starts. People who get through are excited and the first thing that they want to do is get rid of their poverty or middle class status and want to become ever rich. The only way is to start corruption. I think that we should get rid of all this bureaucratic system. They are good for nothing, if these people were so smart, our country would have not been in such a mess. All big projects are headed or supervised by bureaucrats, where as these projects should have been supervised by a professional not by someone who has a degree in social sciences.

12. Faisal A Malik says:

It is just not restricted to CSS. Even the opportunity to be part of armed forces prestigious officer cadre is now not attractive enough to the brighter lot of Pakistan. It is people from poor background who try out for CSS and Armed forces as the sons and daughters of the middle and upper middle class society prefer private business opportunities as the only way of earning some decent and ‘halal’ money.

13. adnan shahidullah says:

Please Amir be realistic.. CSS the only thing where your abilities make your name on the merit…. yes bureaucrats may be corrupt but not all, if you think that you will not commit such offenses as they DO, then what are you waiting for…. come and sit in the exam.. lets see.

14. Umer Ijaz says:

It is a very important matter that really needs to be discussed.As we know, bureaucracy plays a vital role in the progress of a nation. There are certain issues related to the bureaucracy of our country.

First, as a nation, we are more motivated to exercise our powers instead of serving our people. Civil Services have great temptation for those who want to have some authority in their life. They tend to be the ‘Civil Masters’ and not the ‘Civil Servants’.

Second, At early stage, they do not desire the high salaries. But, later on, the scenario changes for them. It then paves the path for the corruption in order to earn more. It distracts the bureaucrats from their actual job i.e. to serve the country.

Finally,the students of top universities mostly go for the highly paid jobs. They find other options better than to appear in CSS. In this way, highly educated people with new thoughts contribute to other sectors, thus, keeping the bureaucracy deprived of their talent.

However, raise in the salaries is praise worthy. It may mitigate the reasons of corruption and dishonesty.

• Rai says:

Umer, we all know the problems, what is the solution? In my opinion, it is the young generation who has to come forward and take on this job. Let someone be the First Drop of Rain. Motivate each other to do your best for the country…you will one day, be rewarded. Youth of Pakistan has a tremendous potential.

15. abdulaziz khattak says:

There was this belief in the past that a government job is good, because it came with perks such as job stability, constant source of income, health benefits, lots of holidays (paid and unpaid), pension and other end-of-service funds. Then a few years ago, this myth was broken when the private sector got strong and rose fast.
    Now the private sector is in bad shape, and I think that graduates might turn to government jobs again.
    But merit is a challenge in the government sector.

16. Rashid Aurakzai says:

Despite corruption all around, its a fact that competitive exam still, can be said to be totally on merit. It’s post training period where nepotism and patronage penetrates the cadre. Deterioration of Superior Bureaucracy and their departure from Civil Service to Arrogance and dictatorial nature is owed mainly to chequered democracy.

17. Faseeh says:

Corruption in the selection process through CSS is more a perception then a reality, because it has become our habit to blame an authority corrupt when something happens against our expectations!! While some 12000+ candidates have competed this year for around 300 positions (an estimated figure, actual to be announced later) to be offered through CSS, it is easy to get annoyed with the rate of failure. In case of CSS-2009, the passing ratio is roughly 1:11 for successful candidates that supports my argument.

Another point to show how optimist we are is fact that we don’t want to enter a field in which corruption prevails rather then to enter & try to curtail the practise. For i believe that there are some people although they are becoming extinct who abhors corruption.

Finally, the attitude and behaviour of a “corporate boss” in multinational company or a private firm is no less humiliating then a CSP officer, once an employee finds him self in hot waters.

• Rai says:

Faseeh, I agree with your comments/analysis. Problem is that our entire system (bureaucracy being under discussion) has become so intensely corrupt that anyone joining it with a purpose to do some GOOD…becomes part of it sooner or later. Nevertheless, I strongly believe that it is the youth, with fresh ideas/vision for our country, which can bring a change, though it will take time. Bottom line is…we all have to think in unison….and work in harmony to steer this country out of troubled waters. History of other developed nations can be studied for a comparison. Let Pakistan be the priority, and we all will benefit.

18. M. Akhtar Afzaal Khan says:

The overall performance of bureaucrats can easily be judge by recent survey reports which graded pakisatan as 5th most unsatable state in the world. These bureaucrats (highly educatated people) are basically the most corrupt people of pakistan.

19. saboor thakur says:

No Amir,its not like that.CSS is the merit based exam,if you do not have any idea then please stop criticising it.Yes its the exam through which one can achieve a cadre where he/she can exercise his mind and can bring changes.So instead of sitting in your luxury rooms and criticising CSS,come out and try it.You will feel the difference.No offense

20. AMoeedMudassir says:

If there was even a slight hope of being able to serve my country through joining the so-called “top brass” of the nation, I might have considered it.

Unfortunately, today civil service is directly linked to politics. Bureaucrats of today can neither survive nor thrive without being involved in one or the other form of the dirtiest business of Pakistan i.e. politics.

You have to consider that politicians’ of today are usually those people in your class who could never get good marks. What’s the use of all your hard work and education if you will be reporting to them, protecting them and working for them?

Some very close friends and relatives of mine have successfully joined the superior services. To their and my dismay, there is nothing good about it. Change does come but not in the manner things are being handled on political agency, district or departmental level. Change comes in you.

It’s very easy to get lost in the corrupt corridors of power only to find out that sleepless nights and boring days await you.

I graduated with honors from one of the best universities in the world. Why would I put myself through something that will eventually cause me to regret doing everything?

21. I totally agree with the fact that the over all bureaucratic setup requires drastic improvement. However, the appointment of Rana Bhagwandas as the chairman “FPSC” is a commendable step. Therefore, having an optimistic view and coming across the regeneration of Judiciary and Media, it is believed that css hiring process is also moving towards improvement. (Author of this forum)

22. Why we always think of our own selves??? what about those by whom we get all this???
    what about Pakistan??
    If you aren’t corrupt and nepotism free person then go and play your part for your motherland!!!
    out of 10 become those 2 or 3 those are selected on merit!

23. Redmax! says:

Where there is no dearth of nepotists and biased bureaucrats, there dwell some highly upright men of principles who put their earnest efforts to stabilize social fabric and national integration. If the top notch is not attracted by bureaucracy, its because the corporate sector lures them in terms of high incentives. But why do we forget that corporate employees do not enjoy the safe “Work Protection Rights” where your boss cannot sack his subordinate on his discretionary power. In corporate sector, you get sack without a notice or explanation. I can jot down a list of facilities/luxuries/etc enjoyed by govt. employees and direly desired by corporate fellows, but sadly, the latter remain deprived.

Regards,

24. Sarah Haider says:

Dear Fellows,
    I know that the pvt. sector gives you a better salary and may be some other benefits but as far as job security is concerned Superior services are the only platform.

Secondly if you say that bureaucracy is all about corruption its a fallacy. Have you not heard about pvt. sector scams. Bribery is the main channel to get buyers for your products in upscale companies. Drinking and all the moral vices can be found in the upper management and if you talk about nepotism- it is a pillar in pvt sector. Very few are on merit especially in Pakistan if highly paid jobs are concerned and another thing for females to get to the top CSS provides an excellent platform without them losing their moral character and getting on top regardless of the glass ceiling concept.

If you talk about why some civil servants are not very much polished- the reason is that the polished university graduates don’t want to opt for this without thinking deep down that this is an upscale job. You are the employees of the Govt of Pakistan and not some XYZ employer who can sack you anytime.

I am not saying that everyone should go for it as we need engineers and doctors and businessmen but those who are talented and want to do something for their country should go for it rather than studying abroad and settling there.

I am an MBA from a well reputed business school in Lahore and have a 3 years professional experience in Sales and Marketing. Now I am opting for Civil Services as I have talent and want to utilize it where its appreciated. Life looks very rosy once you are in the university especially if you are a role of honor student like me but believe you me private sector is not so clean and glossy as it seems.

As far as merit is concerned we belong to not a very influential family but have 6 bureaucrats in our family all on MERIT.

• Ahsan Ali says:

Madam!
      To a very very large extent I agree with you. Private sector is not so clean as it seems to be. There is no doubt that merit is upheld in CSS examination and to a good extent in other entry points to executive positions of Govt. The method of selection might have been useful in British days but for the 21st century dynamics it is obsolete to say the least.

• Saghir says:

Beyond the shadow of doubt that private sector too is no more deprived from endless corruption. But either its private or government, we have to cope up with this nasty corruption. Ideally as CSP officer, we have multiple options to root out corruption from your department as it allows you to exercise discreet powers. I recommend everyone to opt for CSS as bureacrates administered the whole province or whole country, whereas person in private organization adminstered his organization only. So its makes the difference in your professional grooming. I worked with a bureacrat and found that a bureacrat can work and manage in a private organization but a private employee cannot run the district.

25. Kamran says:

I have an ideological clash with them. They recruit conservatives – those who believe in the supremacy of the establishment and not the common folks.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement