The CSS question

The CSS question

As the final result for the Central Superior Services (CSS) examination came through this week, a few questions came to mind:

Can the bureaucrats act like civil servants? Do they think that when Pakistan is being considered the 5th most unstable country in the world, do they want to help change things?

Why aren’t the top notch universities graduates adopting this field as their careers anymore? How can nepotism and corruption be eradicated from bureaucracy so that postings and promotions are done on merit basis?

Would a raise in salaries of government officials announced in the recent budget impact positively on the working conditions? Were the Mayors performing better than today’s administrators (the bureaucrats)?

Text by Jawad Muzaffar.

The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

151 Responses to “The CSS question”

1. Saad says:

Why would a top uni grad bother with CSS and civil services when he/she can earn alot more in the corporate sector without getting involved in any corrupt and unjust practices?????

• Farooq says:

Let me ask why not? I dont know what is worse? taking part in corrupt practices or working for a tobacco manufacturer or in a debt ridden company or living in a country which survives on debt. Remember indulging in interest bearing activities is even worse than the corruption CSS officers get involved in!! Atleast as bureaucrats one has power to make some difference, no matter how little.

All! Do consider appearing in the exam. I know people from LUMS and NED who despite taking some share of corruption are faring a lot better than others.

2. Adil says:

Have you ever met a bureaucrat? Beyond nepotism, political influence and uncompetitive compensation the sheer ineptitude, closed mindedness and brain dead atmosphere of Civil Service means that if you are a top uni graduate and have options you will excercise them.

• beenish. says:

I think you should sit in that exam because sometime they respect merit too.

• Muhammad Akram says:

Passing CSS is not a cup of everybody. If you can’t bear the heat of the exam, be content with little things!

3. Amir says:

I personally will not sit for them since I know that most appointments require a ‘source’ merit doesnt exist here. Out of 10 maybe 2-3 are selected on merit rest dont so why bother?

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement