Clouds of match-fixing hover over cricket

Clouds of match-fixing hover over cricket

Pakistan cricket is facing one of the darkest days in its history with the match-fixing revelations involving several members of the Pakistan cricket team. While the allegations have not yet been proven, the evidence on hand suggests all is not well in the Pakistan camp.

Dawn.com’s sports desk will keep an eye on the developments as the day goes on.

We also invite our readers to debate the imbroglio, its implications and what the future holds for Pakistan cricket.

Latest from the world press on the Lord’s fixing scandal:

Several Pakistani players knew Mazhar majeed

The three balls that might taint Pakistan cricket forever

Lack of killer instinct in Pakistan’s attack

Lord’s fixing scandal on internet forums, Facebook, Twitter:

Twitter

@umairjav: stuart broad must be bummed at finding out he’s actually not that great a batsman
@KamranAbbasi: In the middle of the flood crisis and Ramadan, what a way to behave. An utter humiliation for Pakistan cricket on and off the field.
@cpyala: Question for Aalim Online: Does the money donated by Pak cricketers for flood relief become haraam?
@karachikhatmal: in 99 you broke my heart. but i was 16, and i learnt to love you again. i fear i am too old to love you again. why #pakcricket?

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

426 Responses to “Clouds of match-fixing hover over cricket”

1. Let the process of law complete. The investigation must be thorough- right from the top to bottom. If proved guilty by independent investigators, the culprits must be exposed thoroughly
    and meted out the most serious punishment. The captain, the manager, the coach and the other senior lords of cricket must never go Scott-free.
    Such episodes tend to tarnish the image of the nation. Particularly here such ugly activities involving greed for money are not tolerated at all. One feels ashamed indeed.
    Youngsters hitting a few sixes or taking some wickets are most likely to get intoxicated – and influence from above at home leads to misdeeds, lack of discipline, arrogance and other undesirable evils. My request to the parents and relatives is to avoid the word complacency – such evils take roots at home.
    Also the culprits deeply hurt the feelings of the lovers of the game; particularly those staying far away from home and having adopted foreign citizenship. Because the human feelings are not erasable.I write this only to give ventilation to my feelings as an ardent lover of cricket – no personal prejudice at all. Thanks DAWN MANAGEMENT for this space.

2. Sam Mehta says:

I think Pakistan team should be banned to paly anymore, anywhere for a few years. What a shame. As though the devastating flood, inept political leaders, wikileaks, and the English primeminister’s terror-export remarks were not enough, now this.

3. Maini says:

I am shocked at the many posts on here saying, “Hold on – these are only allegations.” Are you all totally blind, or totally lacking shame, or so completely lacking the ability to think critically that you have allowed yourself to be conned by the drug of so-called patriotism? This whole episode is a national shame for Pakistan. About the only good thing going for Pakistan is its cricket team, and there too the players have been shown to be no more than selfish, corrupt crooks out for themselves.

4. JM says:

“If it is true, they should be punished as hard as one can.” What more proof do you want than a bookie being able to predict exactly when a no ball is going to be bowled and who is going to bowl them. I am truly shocked that people are still giving these cricketers the benefit of doubt. There is no doubt from the videos on NOTW that M Asif, M Aamer and Butt are involved. Investigation needs to be carried out on the other members of the team and if found guilty should be banned for life.

If these guys go without punishment people will lose faith in Pakistani cricket.

5. Raja Bhat says:

Lets not jump into conclusions too early. Yes there is a strong evidence but it is yet to be proved!!!. We in the subcontinent (media and the people) have the tendency to react too soon and love to become the judge and the hangman.

6. Omer says:

Those who say that these are just allegations concocted by western media to undermine our bowlers are really not thinking. No wonder Pakistan is where it is in cricket and as a country – when we cant even take responsibility for our fraud and dishonesty but very conveniently blame others for it!

7. AQ says:

What more evidence is required? These videos are THE evidence! Those big no-balls cannot be a co-incidence. Salman Butt talking to Aamir before the 3rd no-ball, and no field change or anything, clearly proves these guys are guilty.
    If found guilty, these players should be hanged for treason… for acting against the interest of Pakistan despite being global ambassadors of the country. If they can sell their motherland for money, they are capable of doing anything.
    Life-time ban is not enough. Anything less than the jail for taking Pakistan to the depths of ridicule is unacceptable!

8. Mehwish Hassan says:

Lets say, if its correct then will PCB take appropriate action or will ignore it like previous investigations? Second, if its prove wrong then will PCB has enough courage to sue against english newspaper for sabotaging the reputation of Pakistan, team & players?
    Also, if allegations found wrong then they should cancel the tour as a protest. Infront of dignity, reputation & respect, money should not matter, isnt it?

9. MOHSIN says:

let take the accusation are true,that Pakistani players deliberately bowl three no balls in Lord Test.These no balls has very little effect on match.

• Sarthak says:

there you are! this is one view which was missing. bravo, you are unique!
      man this guys were representing their country & some of them publicly showoff their allegiance to religion at every possible instance when they (if allegations are true) are nothing but big cheaters!
      grow up…

10. Waleed Khan says:

Have you all seen the website of News of the World??????? Havent you seen the video and the pictures of the bookie showing players the money inside his jacket and all the details????? if not go check it out first. Islam does tell us not to jump to conclusions but Islam also tells us to call spade, a spade. Why should we defend them… just because we love cricket and they are our idols… instead this is why we should not defend them that we love cricket, the whole sport and not just the players. This is not the first time of match fixing by Pakistani players and it wont be the last time if they are left unpunished…. of course like always a slap on the wrist will do no good.

11. Sefal Khan says:

During Ramadan I would come home earlier after Iftar to watch Pakistan play. I would take annual leave to watch pakistan play. I would not accept dinners and visit friends in order to watch Pakistan play. I used to say Pakistan cricket is my wife and supported Pakistan during hard times. I used to say to my friends you don’t leave your wife (marriage is for better and for worse).

12. Imad says:

Let’s the investigation to be completed. If it is true that the players are involved in the match fixing then take a serious action and banned them all so that the new players think before selling off the country. take new comer on merits…………..The reference players will never do anything but match Fixing.

13. Shazi says:

Before taking any serious step – Chance should be given to them to prove them innocent – if they have done some thing wrong than for sure example to be set to avoid such happening in Future.

14. humayun nayab says:

It’s not a shock!!! No doubt Pakistan has the best talent in our sub continent…..but as a nation we gone greedy….. we have lust to be millionaire over night.

Look @ our top official are they corrupt ? no because its not being proven…till its not proved they are not guilty…. and the same goes with our cricket.

we need change in our country….once the high up are honest…. you cannot expect anything better.

when will we wake up…….? i think never! and will keep bringing the same shame always.

15. harris azad says:

the evidence shown by the media is not enough ..as there is a possibility of making the video even after the match .. should wait for the result and let the investigation be done ..

16. CricketLover says:

Guys,

Please believe me this is some sort of conspiracy against Pakistani cricket team. British team were very scared of Pakistani bowling attack and there is noway any of our team member are involved on this scam. If you are bookie you better know this not the way you take and accept the bets. We need to support our team and country in this hard time because I don’t believe a word from the British media and truth will come out soon than later.

• james says:

England won the test series in very convincing fashion.so your theory of England being scared does not hold water.Your attitude seems to be that this is a conspiracy.Why do you conspiracy theorists think that anything bad that happens to Pakistan is the result of a conspiracy .Have you seen the evidence that News of the world showed in their paper.Sensible people may think that you dont have anything between your ears

17. zakir khan says:

At the moment nothing has been proved and as a nation we must take our own opinion rather than getting carried away by the english media. One can easily say, this was coming from them and a newspaper that no one knew about, is claiming this. We should wait and when things are clear, we must take some serious decision or take these newspaper to court.

I dont see much in this, hopefully it will be settled down soon

18. S Mir says:

These are the gang of 7 who wanted Younis Khan out of the team. Now we know why!

19. Ikram says:

Guys….what proof do u need? Everything is out there….how low can we go?

20. shahid says:

At this time we don’t know if the allegations are correct or not. If not than we should stand firmly with our team and fight against the allegators. If yes than they have brought shame for whole nation. But who will penalize them because most of our officials and politicians are corrupt and moving around proudly.
    If they are found guilty , they will be hated in Pakistan , they should be sacked and whole Pakistan Cricket Board dissolved and new , honest officials and talented players brought in.

21. Asim Ali says:

Its clearly proven even in past that many Pakistani players are been targetted & politisized very cleverly to lead this nation’s talent, morale & spirits down, dont worry brothers we’ll shine & we will keep shinning dont pay much consideration over this media hype of sick minded mafia which is acting against Pakistani team.

None allegation will be proven on our players and we’lll rock again, its just a regime to spoil Pakistani talent like Aamir we have infinte guys who are equally competent & potentially blessed. So put ur fingers crossed, nothing will happen InshaAllah.

22. shahid says:

Yes i agree that bookmakers , gamblers and other persons betting can be charged but how can player be charged because of course he can play as he likes. One cannot charge player for playing in any way he likes.
    How can throwing no ball can be crime, even if it coincide with some predictions made before.
    Everywhere in world its innocent until proven guilty but in our case allegation means guilty and role of Pak media in this case is not appreciable.

23. Shakeel says:

Sorry, no more cricket for me its enough to know that Sydney match in Australia was fixed and to know most of our cricketers are happily involved in this shameful act of match fixing.

Can we trust our cricketers any more?

24. Qismat says:

its very sad and the culprit once proved must be punshid harshly and be banned for at least 5 years.the Board Chairman must be removed immediately.During Butt tenure Pakistan Cricket is in Disarray,several Capatains changed and several scandals followed.Capatain be removed and Younis khan be brought back as Captain to save Pakistan Cricket.

25. Hassan Javed says:

One needs to ask, why has this been happening in Pakistan cricket over such a long period of time and noone can put a stop to this menace? The answer is quite simple. PCB selects the players, the National Assembly brings in the PCB chief. And who makes the National Assembly? What is the National Assembly Composed of? Who sits in the Presidency? You can never rid Pakistan cricket of this corruption, till the politicians and PCB remain corrupt as ever.

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement