Pakistan vs India: You have to have your say

Pakistan vs India: You have to have your say

Update: Dawn.com invites its readers to be a part of its first ever Global Blog and share their experiences by blogging in real time.

No matter where you are, just as long as you’re tuned in to the live coverage of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 India vs Pakistan semi-final, here is your chance to provide your analysis, set the field, live commentate, share pictures and videos, predict the outcome of the match and have your say as Pakistan takes on India in what promises to be a cracking showdown.

For details visit Live: Pakistan vs India

The prospect itself is so hot that it does not require you to employ the art of phrasing and utilise your gift of gab in order to have your say, but have your say you must because its Pakistan versus India and the cricket fever doesn’t get any hotter than this! This is exactly why we at dawn.com would like to invite you to have your say and let it out your way regarding the biggest event, need I say, bigger than the World Cup final that the cricket crazy world is about to witness.

You can send us your critical analysis in the form of a blog post (blog@dawn.com) or shout out in a comment. You can also tweet at us @dawn_com or leave your comments on our Facebook page and we will feature it here along with all the other contributions from our readers. We’ll be challenging our own producers to come up with interesting content on the epic event to be held in the near future but we want you to have your say as well.  Compose a song, make a webcam video cheering your team, or send us an audio visual slideshow! Do something and we’ll put it up for the world to see.

The internet has become an intense driving force in modern times as recent events have shown. Fuelled by the voices of the online population, this time around Pakistan vs India is bigger than ever! So, don’t miss out on this opportunity to have your say, your way, and let it rip. However, we do advise you, for the sake of “good sportsmanship” to refrain from the “free and frank exchanges of views on female relatives” which has always been an essential part of the India-Pakistan rivalry, as alluded to by Cricinfo.

P.S. Our friends from across the border are equal contributors to debates on our website, so let us be insightful towards content vouching India triumphing over Pakistan and not forget that as fans, what we’re really celebrating is the spirit of cricket.

P.P.S. The winner of this competition (it’s not really a competition, it’s just an opportunity for you to rant out whichever way you want) will get the chance to watch the Pakistan vs India Semi-Final of the ICC World Cup 2011 live on our competitor’s television channel!

The views expressed by the reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Latest Blogs on Cricket

A Touch of Madness- Ahmer Naqvi

For the Love of Cricket- Bisma Tirmizi

Featured Comments

Taimur Sikander says, “This is what Pakistan’s Interior Minister Rehman Malik had to say about the Pakistan-India semi-final on March 30: “I had given a warning yesterday (Sunday) that there should be no match fixing. This time I am watching it very closely. If any such thing happens, we will take action,” Malik told reporters in Karachi Monday.

“They should continue the practice and go to bed early, rise up according to their schedule and dedicate themselves to the game for Pakistan,” he added.

Mr Malik, we are also watching you very closely. Go to bed early, eat your cereal and focus on your job.

We’re sure it must be a tough job, picking out the right tie and handkerchief combination.

It is understood that you have since called and apologised to Pakistan’s captain, Shahid Afridi about your earlier remarks.

“A section of (the) press has twisted my statement out of context, and wrongly projected my words,” Malik posted on Twitter, Monday night.

You know what they say about those who speak too much…

P.S. The people do in fact trust the players more than they trust you, as is being said by many a Pakistani politician.”

Shagufta Naaz sent us a short piece titled “War Games”:

“‘Pakistan and India go to war in the semi-final’ screams the headline of a leading Urdu daily (incidentally, one of the same group that has been shouting itself hoarse in the pursuit of Hope for Peace). “It’s war!” say my friends as they gear up in green T-shirts (the price of which keeps rising as the date of the match draws closer). “It’s war!” state all the commentators, analysts and of course, the ubiquitous morning show hosts. Oh yes, a match between India and Pakistan can never be just that: a game between two teams; thanks to over 60 years of a very complex, painful history, any meeting in the ground is seen as yet another encounter with the enemy. It’s not just cricket, it’s war.

Excuse me, but am I the only one who finds this casual use of the ‘W’ word distasteful? Yes, winning against India is a matter of pride and honour (or so they say), more so even than winning against the Aussies, even though it was an Australian who called our captain ‘idiotic.’ What would our reaction have been if an Indian had said that I wonder?

But to come back to the impending semi-final, feelings are running high on both sides of the border — and even further ashore. Students studying abroad report that fights between Pakistani and Indian students erupt daily on campuses, even before the two sides have come together in the ground. These are kids, many of whom may not even have seen their ‘homeland.’ Certainly none of them lived through the horrors of Partition, the trials of the ’65 and ’71 wars or perhaps even the tense days of Kargil. So where is all this anger coming from?

Perhaps all Pakistanis are born with an anti-India gene; perhaps Indians too have an anti-Pakistan gene; and perhaps venting this anger at a cricket match is better than taking it out in a more deadly manner. But just for the record — war is about death, destruction and unimaginable misery. A cricket match is about fun, excitement and, if we’re lucky, a reason to celebrate. Let’s try to keep the difference clear.”

Comments on Facebook

Chinmay Sharma says, “Many ppl have said that this is just a game but lets be reasonable it is actually a war on sports field. India and Pakistan are playing after 4 years. It doesn’t mean that ppl will kill each other but its a kind of satisfying frustration of an uneasy relationship like tom and jerry. So far but so close.”

Muhammad Hasan says,  “Clash of rivals, but with manners and ethics. :) bats not guns, balls not artilary crackers.”

Raahil Faraaz says, “There is huge excitement over the match and we are all looking forward to a great game of cricket that will be a victory for sport. It gives me great pleasure to invite all pakistani to visit Mohali and join us and the millions of fans from our two countries to watch the match.”

Zia Ullah Akhunzada says, “It ll be more than a cricket match.Pressure will be on both teams.A great chance for Pakistan to take the 1996 revenge.”

Tweets @dawn_com

Anjum_y tweeted, “I hope India and Pak cricket fans keep in mind they r playing Gentleman’s game semifinal. Let the sportsman spirit prevail please.”

RishadShaikh tweeted, “I have to admit, I am guilty of Youtubing Shoaib Akhtar’s crazy yorkers against Dravid and Tendulkar in hope of a repeat spell!”

Comments Guide:
Dawn.com encourages its readers to share their views on our forums. We try to accommodate all users' comments but this is not always possible due to space and other constraints. Please our read our comments guidelines below for more information:

1. Please be aware that the views of our bloggers and commenters do not necessarily reflect Dawn.com's policies.

2. Though comments appear to have been published immediately after posting, they are actually forwarded to a moderation queue before publication.

3. Dawn reserves the right to remove or edit comments that are posted on this blog.

4. Language that is offensive to any race, religion, ethnicity, gender or nationality is not permitted.

5. Avoid posting comments in ALL CAPS. Commenters are also encouraged to avoid text contractions like 'u r.'

6. Do not cross-post comments across multiple blog entries.

7. Any comments posted to a blog entry should be relevant to the topic or discussion.

8. Do not spam the comment section.

742 Responses to “Pakistan vs India: You have to have your say”

1. GKrishnan says:

As an ordinary Indian, I wish Pak Interior Minister would have been invited for the match. He has been really working hard, and needs a break ! Anybody listening ?

• Nazir says:

I just wish that the interior minister had kept his mouth shut. His statement that the Pakistani team was under surveillance for match fixing was totally uncalled for, and will only upset the team.
      Go Pakistan team, go. Go Indian team, go. Let’s have a great game of cricket. And let the politicians keep their mouths shut.

2. Adil says:

OK, the cricket match between the two countries is always great but this time it s getting more attention and every one is more excited and i hope the ppl must not hv heart attacks, breaking TV and heads, and doing such kind f activities. Wht important is that both teams must play it like a game and secondly must also keep the feelings f their countrymen in mind so that the match can be played as per spirits of India-Pakistan match……….Lets c who wins the word cup but for us this s the final match of the world cup………… so jan maro Pak team and come back with pride … u know u will become stars f the world and u ll make ppl happy who are just disappointed due to so many internal problems ………. u know u hv made them all united and alllllllllllllllllll want ur win …………..

3. Mahesh says:

Heart patients, Pls. do not watch the match ;-) Do not have any solid objects near you while watching the match. There is a good chance that you end up breaking your TV ;-). Pakistan has real good chance of beating India because of their superior bowling. India will suffer because of their non existant bowling attack. But you never know with Pakistan :-) They may self destruct.

4. Anil Hanagud says:

The best way to ensure that a proper cricket match is played without any hoopla surrounding it is to not invite any politicians. We all try to calm things down by saying that it’s just another game, but we are defeating this purpose by having the prime ministers of both the countries attending it. This was the last thing the match needed. If this is what we are having, then where is the case for separation of politics from sport? Less hype, the better.

• kaka says:

My dear Anil… there is nothing wrong in high having VIP in big matches…
      they also love sports… this happen in west too like in EU in top football match all big politician attend big match…
      so don’t worry just enjoy the match :)

5. Jude Allen says:

On that note: I am really happy to be reading everyones posts here and to seeing that we are all responsible, civil and above all reaching out like human beings instead of race and region bashing.

Sportsmanship & Music: The two entities that brings the spirit of human civilization into one solid harmonious entity.

Great comments and great reviews. Keep it up :) Now lets push the government to declare March 30th a public holiday so we can all watch a great game at home?? lol

6. Jude Allen says:

I’m a Pakistani with a strong cultural Indian background. I sincerely wish BOTH teams a great game of Cricket. Keep it clean and fun. Pakistani sportsmanship should NEVER reflect Pakistani leadership. In fact Cricketers should be a shining example to what team work and good spirit is all about. I think in these turbulent times that Pakistan is facing with a failed government, the World Cup cricket is giving us some ray of hope – finally we have something to be proud of. Win or loose, all we want at the end of the day is a great, good action packed clean match. Best of luck India and Pakistan. Gonna love watching you all in action :)

7. sana yasin says:

Team who will handle pressure will win
    Pak Go GO GO

8. Aditi Ghosh says:

What do I say ? Its not a war but a game of cricket . Lets treat it that way guys .I welcome Pakistani cricket players to my country and wish both the teams success . I also want to let every pakistani know that a common man in India doesnt hate you. Its the amazing media in India and the politics which influnces a common man’s mind. Its just a frustrating thought that how a handful of people on both sides of the borders can influence the lives and thoughts of crores of people.

9. m.h.kayani says:

Both are good teams, may the best one win, best wishes to both and hop they bring happiness to both country. they should play more matches between them and bring the people together.

good luck both give us good game.

10. Ckt says:

I Think Indian Team is better than Pakistan so The chance of Pakistan team is very less…………………………

11. Varun says:

As an Indian, I think Indian team is more consistent. Pak team is performing well but it will have to make sure they remain consistent on Weds also. Best of luck to both the teams!!

12. Giri says:

I only hope and pray that all goes well on the 30th March, no untoward incidents should happen, no terrorist activities should happen at any cost, else I fear that this beautiful game will end in India too. The terrorist activities are not done by Pakistanis or Indians, but by the enemies of human kind. I pray all Pakistanis and Indians to enjoy this great event, but also be mindful of each others emotions, the game should go on irrespective of whoever wins. Win and loose is part and parcel of the game, but I am hoping for a nice game, not a one-sided game at all. This game should be worthy of a WC semi-final. I wish Pakistan all the best for the game. I am an Indian and would love that India wins the game. My only wish is whoever wins this game should win the WC. There cannot be an excuse for the team winning this game and not winning the WC.
    Luck to both Pakistan and India
    Best wishes
    Giri

13. Sairaj says:

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    Mother Teresa
    I appreciate what asif has quoted…
    When cerebral processes enter into sports, you start screwing up. It’s like the Constitution, which says separate church and state. You have to separate mind and body. ~Bill Lee

14. Sujatha says:

I am from India.I warmly welcome the Pakistani cricketers and Pakistani fans to India. I am hoping for a good game of cricket from both sides.May the better team win.Best of luck to both teams.Finally, I hope an Asian team will win the World Cup.

• Zia says:

Thank you for the invitation. on behalf of all Pakistanis on this forum we appreciate your gesture and invitation. Like you said, may the better team win.

15. Manas says:

I think what Intikhab Alam has said we all should pay very good attention to it. In a website he is quoted as saying that let this match of cricket and not make it a war front for the teams. One team has to win and the other has to lose coming Wednesday. The people of both the country has to accept it gracefully as well as both the teams. Very well said Mr. Alam.

16. shiva says:

Look forward to watching a great, clean contest. Either team has the capability and players to win – so wouldn’t be surprising to see India win or Pak win. But hoping India wins! (and in 4 years hope to see an “all-in-the-family” semis : Ind, Pak, SL, Ban!)

17. Ranvir singh, India says:

This is utter nonsense.. The media is creating such a hype as if it is not a game but war. Thet do n’t know that they are putting unnecessory burden on players by portraying it a do or die match. O.k fine winning is good and every team should work hard to win the matches for their nation but what is happening is the hype as if there is no other day to live if we lose the match. I think we must tone down the rheotric and just was the game and relax. After all its a game not war. Neither wars should be faught nor the games should be played like wars…. Best of luck to both teams and may the deserving team win the game..

18. Ranganath Gowda says:

This will be Burning match to pakistan, as usual India is going to win, pakistan will loose as history repeats…
    I Kindly request Pakistanis to be prepared to be cool & dont loose the hearts… Take Care….

19. anila says:

No Point in arguing as m sure and Inshallah Pak will win against India in Semi Final. Indians might be having better batsmen but even then Pak will win as we got better bowlers which wont let stay Indian Batsmen on pitch for too long :d. I m dying to watch the Match
    And Hey Indians, Please contrl your temper when Pakistan will winn the match as the best team always win :d.

20. Adrian says:

I think both teams, deserve kudos for reaching this far and leaving behind the more developed nations in a display of true grit, flair and talent.

You can buy the worlds best trainers, equipment, anabolic steriods even…, but whats clear is that real talent is born of the sweat and dreams of Pakistani and Indian children playing bareback cricket in the streets.

21. Nazrul says:

It is obvious that the Indians have stronger batting line up against the reverse scenerio in bowling department. Its obviously dominated by the Pakistanis.Pitch can be a vital factor as well as few strategic decissions. For example, inclusion of Ashwin has given a little bit improvement in Indian camp so has happened in Pakistani camp after the inclusion of Asad Shafiq.Pakistan may create extra pressure on its opposition by useing its trump card Shoaib Akhter.One rhythmic spell of Shoaib can make the difference between the two sides.

• shaukat says:

we have seen rhythmic spell of akhtar in 2003 worldcup match against india…..did u forget tht…ur memory is very short…hahahahaha

22. muhammad afraz abbasi says:

I hope Pakistani and India cricket fans bring the new change through patience

23. Cricket says:

Dear all,
    As you know that Cricket is a game enjoyed throughout the world ,so we should not mix with politicion we want to be won by any Asian country.
    Pakistan is one of the prograssive team and i am optimistc that by the grace of Allah Almighty Sahhid Khan Afridi with bring home the cup.
    We are proud on Afridi.

Sayeed
    Afghanist -Khost

24. Akhtar Shah says:

We need attacking and winning sprit. In my opinion Shahid Afiridi and Kamran Akmal should open. The order of batting would be as follows. 1. Shahid Afridi and 2. Kamran Akmal (Openrs), 3. Asad, 4. Umar Akmal, 5. Razzak, 6. Hafeez, 7. Younis, 8. Misbah, 9. Fast Bowler, 10. Umar Gul, 11. Spinner / fast bowler (depending upon Pitch)

25. Kurian says:

Me an Indian … I sincerly wish either India or Pakistan should win the world cup. If Pakistan beats India in semi finals … my whole hearted support to Pakistani team … we were one country .. lived together letz not hate each other but support … so let it be either India or Pakistan …

Dawn.com on Facebook

dawn.com on Facebook

Advertisement